PDA

View Full Version : Aerenal Elf Bounty Hunter [3.5 Eberron]

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-26, 10:16 AM
One NPC I plan to introduce is a Bounty Hunter from Aerenal who hunts down and either kills or retrieves betrayers and deserters of the Undying Council. I know that I want him to be a TWF ranger with favored enemy (Humanoid[Elf]), but beyond that, I'm at a loss. Any prestige classes or feats or builds to suggest? I'm not sure, but I may want to give him a deathless graft or two. I don't think that I want to give him anything martial, though Daimond Mind or Devoted Spirit Maneuvers are tempting...

Eldan
2011-01-26, 10:18 AM
If you were to give him maneuvers, Eternal Blade is a very tasty prestige class, and it even includes ancestor worship for elves!

Greenish
2011-01-26, 10:45 AM
If you were to give him maneuvers, Eternal Blade is a very tasty prestige class, and it even includes ancestor worship for elves!Revenant Blade (PGtE) is a lower level option, and with finagling you could fit both into same build.

Without ToB, TWF ranger with maybe a barbarian dip for pounce, then to Revenant Blade would be a good tracker and hider with respectable damage.

[Edit]: Wait, I got my lines crossed there. Aerani ≠ Valenari. :smalleek:

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-26, 11:45 AM
If you were to give him maneuvers, Eternal Blade is a very tasty prestige class, and it even includes ancestor worship for elves!

I looked at that, but I don't think it works well with a "Bounty* Hunter" concept. Not that I'm trying to turn away help, but I'm not really feeling that class right now. What about feats, items, and/or grafts?

*Technically it's an order from a superior rather than a reward...So I guess that would make him more of a special forces soldier, but a bounty hunter fits the skillset that I want to achieve better.

Greenish
2011-01-26, 12:23 PM
Prestige classes that might fit:

Bloodhound (CAdv.)
Crimson Scourge (Cityscape)
Justicar (CW)
All pretty much "Bring 'em back alive" style bounty hunter PrCs.

avr
2011-01-26, 05:10 PM
'Retrieves' means he uses weapons with the merciful property, right? How high level is he, what's his budget beyond that?

If he normally operates on his own, he needs to be really sneaky. The darkstalker feat is a must.

For those times when he simply has to run down his opponents, a fast horse (Valenar?) or phantom steed (possibly via a wand or something) is a must.

If you're using ToB, an extra attack via Snap Kick might be handy considering the potential damage bonus from favoured enemy.

Keld Denar
2011-01-26, 05:16 PM
[Edit]: Wait, I got my lines crossed there. Aerani ≠ Valenari. :smalleek:

You got your 13th Warrior elves mixed up with your "Hot Topic" elves. Its ok, its not uncommon. All elves look the same to me too...

Justicar is pretty bad, but accomplishes what you want. Honestly, I'd suggest some kind of Gish. Its hard to run from someone who can Teleport, and a full PA Wraithstrike with a +1 Merciful Spellstoring weapon with a Whelm spell saved in it is pretty disabling.

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-26, 06:52 PM
'Retrieves' means he uses weapons with the merciful property, right? How high level is he, what's his budget beyond that?

I'm probably going to put him in at 10th, two levels above where I expect the PC to be.

If he normally operates on his own, he needs to be really sneaky. The darkstalker feat is a must.
How so? I don't have lords of madness on me, but how would it help him hunt other elves?

For those times when he simply has to run down his opponents, a fast horse (Valenar?) or phantom steed (possibly via a wand or something) is a must.

I was thinking of giving him a Fleshraker animal companion to chase down and possibly help hunt down his targets...though he would need at least 8 levels of ranger for that...

If you're using ToB, an extra attack via Snap Kick might be handy considering the potential damage bonus from favoured enemy.
Excelent thought, I'll take it into consideration

Justicar is pretty bad, but accomplishes what you want. Honestly, I'd suggest some kind of Gish. Its hard to run from someone who can Teleport, and a full PA Wraithstrike with a +1 Merciful Spellstoring weapon with a Whelm spell saved in it is pretty disabling.
Thanks, but I don't think that I'll be doing that. I'm doing sort of a "Dark Mirror" thing with the one he's hunting. An Aerenal Elf that abandoned the traditions of his ancestors and abandoned his duty to be one of their elite special forces agents. This guy is his brother, sent to either reign him in or destroy him for abandoning his post. One's Ranged, one's twf'd. One has a scout companion, one has a combat companion. One favored enemy is beasts, the other favors humans. One takes up the new ways of Khorvare, the other reveres the ancestors, et cetera.