PDA

View Full Version : Getting around Living Undeath

Maelstrom25
2011-01-26, 03:38 PM
I'm trying to figure out if there's a way for my big evil badguy in the campaign I'm running to get around someone casting "Living Undeath" on everyone in the party. For those not familiar with it, this is a 2nd lvl cleric spell that makes the recipient immune to sneak attacks and critical hits as if they were undead (though they are not actually considered undead). The badguy is an assassin and sneak attack is a big part of what makes him a threat. Without it, it would be hard for him to inflict anything but paltry damage agianst the PCs. I'm really looking for some other method than just dispelling it, as the cleric can just recast it on his turn. Any suggestions?

BRC
2011-01-26, 03:39 PM
The Penetrating Strike ACF from Dungeonscape, or ranks in UMD and a wand of Gravestrike. If he's an Assassin he may not need UMD, since his spellcasting would let him use the wand.

FMArthur
2011-01-26, 03:42 PM
The Dragonfire Strike feat from Dragon Magic would convert it to an energy type in correspondance with a draconic bloodline's type. You need to be dragonblooded.

Douglas
2011-01-26, 03:43 PM
Greater Truedeath Weapon Augment Crystal from Magic Item Compendium. +1d6 damage against undead, Ghost Touch, and ignores crit/sneak attack immunity of undead. Can only be attached to +3 or better weapons, costs 10000 gp.

Dr Bwaa
2011-01-26, 03:53 PM
He's the BBEG, and an assassin-type at that. He has goons working for him. If the PCs spend four rounds getting prepped against sneak attack, that's four rounds of beating from heavily-armed and armored thugs. Or just keep the cleric out of touch range (with said goons) and make him consider his three extra prepared spells and how much more useful it would be if they were Webs or whatever while you Death Attack his buddies.

Or just dispel it. Unless he can spontaneously cast it, he's not going to have extras ready to go (especially not enough for the whole party--wait for him to buff everyone, then hit them all with a Dispel. Oops).

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-26, 04:43 PM
I agree with "Just have more dispel magics than he has living undeaths."

Curmudgeon
2011-01-26, 05:00 PM
The Penetrating Strike ACF from Dungeonscape, or
Penetrating Strike requires flanking, which isn't usually the way Assassins strike. If undead are the only sneak attack concern, the Death's Ruin ACF (Complete Champion, page 51) is a superior option; it only works to sneak attack undead, but no flanking is required.

Of just a +3 weapon with a Greater Truedeath weapon augment crystal (Magic Item Compendium, page 66).
The subject is not subject to sneak attacks and critical hits for the duration of the spell, as if it were undead.
Greater: As the lesser crystal, and the weapon can deliver sneak attacks and critical hits against undead as if they were living creatures. Seems like a direct counter, where sneak attack and critical hits are concerned.

FMArthur
2011-01-26, 05:37 PM
I agree with "Just have more dispel magics than he has living undeaths."

If he's a 'boss fight' he is probably already at an action-economy disadvantage. I like the augment crystal idea best.