PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Devils - Horror Roleplaying in Mythic Asia

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-01-26, 10:16 PM
I used to dislike Asian fantasy, finding it too wacky and bizarre. However, after reading some comic I can't remember the name of, I discovered a love of it.
I realized it would be a great setting for dark fantasy/horror; after all, some of the stuff is pretty twisted.
Anyway, I give you Foreign Devils: Horror Roleplaying in Mythic Asia. It uses the BRP system, and can be played with this free PDF (http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?products_id=3700) (although buying the core book would be better).

Foreign Devils
Horror Roleplaying in Mythic Asia

Introduction
Foreign Devils is a horror roleplaying game set in mythic Asia. It uses the BRP System, and can be played with the free demo PDF found on the Chaosium website.
It is set in a dark world of bloodsucking spirits, seductive demons, power-hungry necromancers, and man-eating monsters. A place where devils corrupt the innocent and oni advisors whisper in the ears of well-meaning monarchs while living nightmares stalk the streets hunting for fresh meat and undead warriors from hell mug travelers on forsaken streets.
Are you willing to brave this corrupted nightmare realm of evil spirits and foreign devils?

History
The world of Rahva was not always hell. Once, it was a place of plenty, where life-giving fruit grew on ever-blossoming trees and the foreign devils and dark spirits were trapped below in hell. However, the mortals became restless with their god-granted paradise and renounced their deities to dabble in black magic. Their gods became angry and abandoned humankind, leaving the way open for the things from hell to pour in.
Now, 3000 years later, humanity is dieing and the last embers of hope are starting to flicker.

The World
Rahva is a warped nightmare wonderland of deformed toxic jungles filled with ravenous tiger spirits, oppressively hot deserts infested with giant undead insects, and squalled metropolises stalked by bipedal rat-demons.
Most of the world is covered by the sprawling empire of Xien, a cruel kingdom where most of the population are treated as little more than slaves.

Characters
The heroes of Rahva are rarely heroic; after all, the gods which kept us from straying from the path of good have long ago left the world to die. Now the most likely motivation for the PCs is self-interest. Remember this when creating your character.

Optional RulesIt is reccomended that the GM uses the following optional rules for character creation (none of which are detailed in the quick-start book):
Higher Starting Characteristics (page 16), Fatigue Points (page 20, 32), Sanity (pages 21, 32, 318), Distinctive Features (pages 34-35), and Literacy (page 67).
Using these is not essential, but will probably enhance the game experience.

MagicComing Soon!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-01-27, 11:10 AM
I started working on chapter 2.