PDA

View Full Version : New Familiars (PEACH)

LOTRfan
2011-01-26, 11:49 PM
Here's a few creatures I made a while ago to be used as familiars. If anyone has any ideas for them, or if there are mistakes in the math, I'd appreciate a PEACH.

Phoenix, Lesser
Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Die: ½ d10 (2 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), Fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +4 Dex, +1 natural), touch 16, flat footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-9
Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d3-1 damage)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +2 melee (1d3-1 damage), or Bite +2 melee (1d4-1 damage)
Space/Reach: 2 ½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -----
Special Qualities: Immolation, Fire Resistance 10
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +0
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 16
Skills: Spot +2, Listen +2
Feats: Flyby Attack
Environment: Warm Deserts
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 1-2 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: -----

A small bird with red and orange plumage sits in a cage. Despite its obviously non-intelligent nature, it has an aura of majesty around it, as though it is something to be respected.

Lesser Phoenixes are cousins of the great birds that protect the good creatures of deserts. These creatures are rare like their greater versions, but are more commonly seen in the company of humanoids. Many keep Lesser Phoenixes as pets, as they can never truly die, which avoids the heartbreak associated with the deaths of most pets.

Combat
Lesser Phoenixes are not often seen in combat, but when forced to, they tend to head straight into the thick of it. They do not fear death. In fact, they fly as close to enemies as possible, so that when they die their slayer also takes damage.

Immolation (Su): When a Lesser Phoenix approaches death, a Lesser Phoenix may immolate itself as a full round action. This causes a cloud of fire that is 10 ft. high and has a 5 ft. radius spread. Anyone caught in the burst receives 2d6 fire damage. Reflex save DC 11 for half damage. This kills the original bird, but a new one rises out of the ashes in 1d4 rounds.

As a Familiar
Lesser Phoenixes can be selected as familiars by those with the Improved Familiar feat. As a familiar, a Lesser Phoenix grants the ability to automatically give his master 2 HP/level once a day when an enemy would have otherwise brought him to -10 Hit Points. If it uses its immolation power, the spellcaster gains the new phoenix as a familiar as opposed to waiting a year and a day. The spellcaster does not take an XP penalty for their familiar's temporary defeat. The minimum level to gain this familiar is 7th.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toy Breed Dog
Tiny Animal
Hit Die: ½ d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 25 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), touch 16, flat footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-9
Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d2-1 damage)
Full Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d2-1 damage)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -----
Special Qualities: Scent, Lowlight vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Wis +1
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 19, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Jump +3, Listen +4, Spot +3, Survival +5 (+9 when tracking), Hide +12
Feats: Alertness, Track (B)
Environment: Any
Organization: Domesticated
Combat Rating: ¼
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -----
Level Adjustment: -----

A small, adorable dog runs down the halls of the castle. When it reaches your feet, it stands on its two hind legs and barks happily. It looks excited to see a new face.

Toy breed dogs were bred for one of two reasons: to be lap dogs purely for enjoyment and fun, or mouse hunters for those who do not like cats. These statistics can be used for any dog that is between 3 and 19 pounds (such as teacup yorkies and miniature poodles).

Combat
Toy breed dogs almost never enter combat, unless it is against smaller pests and vermin.

Skills: Dogs get a +4 racial bonus to jump checks. Dogs get a +4 bonus to survival when tracking by scent.

Feats: Dogs have track as a bonus feat.

As a Familiar
Many children have pet dogs when they are little, and it is not rare for wizards and sorcerers to have their love of canines carry over to their later years (in fact, its very common). Some actually choose toy breed dogs as familiars. Wizards with toy breed dog familiars get a +3 bonus to Sense Motive checks.

Debihuman
2011-01-27, 12:59 AM
Where does the +1 Deflection bonus in the Lesser Phoenix come from? Natural AC makes sense to just add it but Deflection bonuses normally come from special abilities.

Toy Breed Dog has too many feats unless one of them is a bonus feat.

Debby

Bibliomancer
2011-01-27, 01:13 AM
There's a slight typo in the AC line for the lesser phoenix. Touch AC should be 17, not 7, and flat-footed AC should be 14, not 4.

I like the lesser phoenix's granted ability, but the additional part relating to xp loss is a bit unclear. Specifically, for a normal familiar, a wizard loses 200xp per level (100xp per level on a successful save), while you imply that it only loses 100xp on a successful save. Was it your intention to have the immolation penalty be 1/4 or 1/2 normal?

Personally, immolation would, in most cases, be a flavor thing anyways (normally familiars don't die of old age, and it seems like it wouldn't be used in combat) and so the xp penalty could be waived entirely, provided that immolation was not triggered by normal death in combat.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-27, 04:27 AM
I like the phoenix idea, but that small bird is also a ticking time bomb.

Imagine a wizard stuck in a gelatinous cube or something like that. His familiar just keeps on exploding for 2d6 damage, because it JUST WON'T DIE

also, how do you handle a phoenix drowning?

LOTRfan
2011-01-27, 08:46 AM
Where does the +1 Deflection bonus in the Lesser Phoenix come from? Natural AC makes sense to just add it but Deflection bonuses normally come from special abilities.

Toy Breed Dog has too many feats unless one of them is a bonus feat.

Debby

It's supposed to be a far less powerful form of the Phoenix in the Monster Manual II. I figured that since it had a Deflection bonus, so should its lesser bonus. It was 3.0, however, so if the rules now state a special ability is required, I'll remove it.

As for the dog, I listed track as a bonus feat in the combat section. I just forgot to add the (B), so I'll put that in.

There's a slight typo in the AC line for the lesser phoenix. Touch AC should be 17, not 7, and flat-footed AC should be 14, not 4.

I like the lesser phoenix's granted ability, but the additional part relating to xp loss is a bit unclear. Specifically, for a normal familiar, a wizard loses 200xp per level (100xp per level on a successful save), while you imply that it only loses 100xp on a successful save. Was it your intention to have the immolation penalty be 1/4 or 1/2 normal?

Personally, immolation would, in most cases, be a flavor thing anyways (normally familiars don't die of old age, and it seems like it wouldn't be used in combat) and so the xp penalty could be waived entirely, provided that immolation was not triggered by normal death in combat.

I see it wasn't very clear. It was meant to be halved. If you think I can get away with no penalty at all, however, I'll change that.

And thanks for mentioning the AC typos.

also, how do you handle a phoenix drowning?

You got me. I'll leave that open to DM ruling.

As for the tricking time bomb, that was my goal. :smallsmile:

Zaydos
2011-01-27, 02:06 PM
I have to say I like it. When I first saw the phoenix's granted ability I was a little suspect as it is twice as good as a feat (Improved Toughness) and normally granted powers are the equal of a (rather bad) feat. Then I realized it took an additional feat to get the phoenix and as Improved Toughness seems in line for a familiar ability I have to say it seems a really good choice. I will second (or third) the idea that not taking XP penalty from immolate is a good thing to put on, and the loss of familiar benefits for a day makes it an undesirable tactic to begin with.

As for the toy breed dog... I don't like toy breeds myself IRL (although I love beagles) but that's just personal taste. Game mechanically it's better balanced than the Dragon Magazine which gave normal dogs as a basic familiar. So while I wouldn't choose one (give me a cat or a mutt) I like them.

Altogether two thumbs up and keep up the good work, I love seeing new familiars.

DracoDei
2011-01-27, 02:12 PM
I believe I already commented on the phoenix over on competitor, and the toy breed dog looks fairly standard as familiars go.

LOTRfan
2011-01-27, 02:19 PM
I have to say I like it. When I first saw the phoenix's granted ability I was a little suspect as it is twice as good as a feat (Improved Toughness) and normally granted powers are the equal of a (rather bad) feat. Then I realized it took an additional feat to get the phoenix and as Improved Toughness seems in line for a familiar ability I have to say it seems a really good choice. I will second (or third) the idea that not taking XP penalty from immolate is a good thing to put on, and the loss of familiar benefits for a day makes it an undesirable tactic to begin with.

Thank you. I have removed the XP penalty.

for the toy breed dog... I don't like toy breeds myself IRL (although I love beagles) but that's just personal taste. Game mechanically it's better balanced than the Dragon Magazine which gave normal dogs as a basic familiar. So while I wouldn't choose one (give me a cat or a mutt) I like them.

Oh, I completely forgot about that! They even give the same bonuses...

Altogether two thumbs up and keep up the good work, I love seeing new familiars.

Thanks. If you like new familiars, there's three of them in the Dinosaur thread, too.

I believe I already commented on the phoenix over on competitor, and the toy breed dog looks fairly standard as familiars go.

Yes you did, which is probably why it didn't have so many minor errors.

Blynkibrax
2011-03-07, 04:04 PM
Would that lesser phoenix familiar be inspired by a certain Mr. A. Dumbledore, LOTRfan? :smallwink:

LOTRfan
2011-03-07, 05:19 PM
Actually, if I remember correctly, someone requested it about... eight months ago? I liked the Phoenixes in Harry Potter, but I probably wouldn't have stated them out, otherwise. I mean, they are just extremely weak and much smaller versions of the Phoenix from the Monster Manual II.

Andion Isurand
2011-03-07, 06:12 PM
Actually, if I remember correctly, someone requested it about... eight months ago? I liked the Phoenixes in Harry Potter, but I probably wouldn't have stated them out, otherwise. I mean, they are just extremely weak and much smaller versions of the Phoenix from the Monster Manual II.

If you want to further emulate Fawkes, you should give your phoenix a supernatural ability that vastly reduces the weight of whatever it carries, such that it can easily bear aloft three to four people like it did in the movie.

Also: 1d4 claws and a 1d6 bite are somewhat big for a tiny creature.

LOTRfan
2011-03-07, 06:34 PM
That'd be an interesting idea...

In the meantime, I'll change the damage to 1d3 and 1d4.

nysisobli
2011-03-07, 06:39 PM
I was the requestee ;)

LOTRfan
2011-03-07, 06:49 PM
Oh, cool. Did you end up using it?

Thugorp
2011-03-07, 06:55 PM
I would probably put the deflection bonus to AC back, it makes very good sense for a magical creature to have a deflection bonus(aspecially since you mention an ora around it), but very poor sense for a bird to have a natural armor bonus.

You might want to change the way immolate works so that instead of a fully formed bird, an egg appears as soon as the smoke clears, and then it hatches after a certain amount of fire and/or acid damage has been dealt to it. This would fit much better with the actual mythology behind phoenixes. :-)

Those are just suggestions, GREAT job though.

LOTRfan
2011-03-07, 07:02 PM
That'd be pretty cool as well. I'll probably be incorporating your ideas (along with Andion Isurand's) in later today.

Thanks for the compliment. :smallsmile:

Thugorp
2011-03-07, 07:05 PM
Thank you very much. :-)