PDA

View Full Version : [Homebrw 3.5] Power Rings

Maxios
2011-01-27, 07:28 PM
I've attempted to stat out the Power Rings from DC Comics. All Power Rings cost 5,000 GP each. If you're a DM, don't give your players a power ring early on. A Power Ring should be earned by going on a large quest.

Fluff

The Order of the Rings
The Order of the Rings in a unique orginization that nearly everyone with Power Rings belong to. The Order is dedicating to protecting the innocent and fighting evil. When one finds a Power Ring, the Order will track them down to either to take the ring from them, if they're evil or make them join the orginization.

Power Ring Abilities (besides Flight) use Points when used. Every Power Ring has 10 Points. When a Power Ring runs out of points, none of it's abilities can be used. To get points back, one must put their Power Ring in a Power Lantern for an hour
Green Power Ring
Those with Green Power Rings are champions of law
Special Abilities
Flight: The wearer of a power ring has flight equal to their normal movement speed
Minor Image (2 Points/Use)
Mirror Image (2 Points/Use)
Ventriloquism [Treated as if you're fifth level] (1 Point/use)
Mage Hand (2 Points/use)
Dancing Lights (1 Point/use)
The wearer is immune to fear

Red Power Ring (WILL UPDATE)
One who wear a Red ring must kill at least three monsters a day or go crazy
Special Abilities
Flight: The wearer of a power ring has flight equal to their normal movement speed
Mage Hand (2 Points/use)
Rage (3 Points/Use)

Blue Power Ring
Those will Blue Power Rings are filled with hope, and are filled with the hope that evil do'ers can be redeemed
Special Abilities
Mage Hand (2 Points/use)
Heroism (3 Points/use)

[Black, White, Indigo, Yellow, Orange, and Violet Power Rings to come]
[Shadow Powers to come]

Please critique

Jack_Simth
2011-01-27, 08:19 PM
The Flight alone is worth much more than that, as it appears to be a continuous effect, as you've written it out. Oh yes, and you need to specify a maneuverability rating on the flight speed.

Balance wise, if we look at the DMG estimating magic items tables.... mild roadblock: you don't have caster levels listed. Assuming the lowest for the effect where applicable...

Continuous Fly would be 60,000; Continuous Air Walk would be 84,000... although Continuous Air Walk is *less* useful than the Fly spell, but still. Wings of Flying (an existing magic item) market at 54k. This is a bit less useful, due to not having a 60 foot move up there, but you're looking at a value of at least 40,000, relatively speaking, for this effect alone.

Minor Image, 3/day, estimates at 6,480 gp (2nd level spell, caster level 3).

Mirror Image, 1/day, estimates at 2,160 gp (2nd level spell, caster level 3).

Ventriloquism, 1/day at caster level 5, estimates at 1,800 gp (1st level spell, caster level 5)

Mage Hand, 3/day, estimates at 1,620 gp (0th level spell, caster level 1)

Dancing Lights, 3/day, estimates at 1,620 gp (0th level spell, caster level 1)

Immunity to fear is a bit tricky to price, but Rage is a spell, as is Heroism (both 3rd level). At 1/day, they'd market at 5,400 gp.

Now, for the most part, these can be used independently - they're not "Multiple, Similar Abilities", really. So we take the most expensive at face value, and add 1.5 times the rest. 40000+1.5×(6480+2160+1800+1620+1620+5400)=68,620 gp. And really, I'm just guessing at the value of the flight. Round up a bit, or down a bit - call it 65,000 gp, or 70,000 gp, and call it a day.

Flavor Wise:

If these are what I think they are, you might consider adding Shadow Evocation or Shadow Conjouration to the repertoire of the rings. I mean, seriously, isn't creating partially real effects kinda the Green Lantern's Shtick?

You might also want to put in a charges-per-effect cost, and a specific mechanism for replacing lost charges (even if it's just X charges/day, like the Belt of Battle). That makes them multiple similar abilities (you can't benefit from them all at the same time, as they draw on the same pool of energy), and so you can discount many of the abilities in the same manner as is done in staff creation.

tzaan
2011-01-27, 09:14 PM
this is a really geeky nitpick but.....Red Lanterns can't make constructs. Only Atrocitus and Hal could use the Red Ring to make constructs. It replaces your heart and your blood is replaced with raging fire and, of course, you go utterly mental as in "PCs can't use this" schizo-crazy

Lix Lorn
2011-01-28, 07:13 AM
I do know that he's right about constructs (no idea if he is on red, but he appears knowledgeable)

Maybe some kind of Creation/shadow evocation casting?

Maxios
2011-01-28, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll update the OP :smallcool:

Edit: I gave the Rings a "Point Usage" system. I'll find Shadow Powers to put in the OP later, and the Red Power Rings will update. Also, I made some Fluff