PDA

View Full Version : 3.5-Help me build a gestalt psywar//swordsage

Elora Danan
2011-01-27, 11:46 PM
I'm making a psychic warrior//swordsage and I'm not really sure where I want to go from there. What races would be good? How can I get the best out of my powers, maneuvers and feats? Etc. Let's do a full 20-level build.

Guidelines:
Any non-evil
Preferably no LA
I'd like to stay away from metapsionics and item creation.
Can progress in two PrCs at once, but cannot progress manifesting or initiating in both of them.
I think I'd like to go with the Soulbound Weapon ACF, unless it sucks.
All WotC 3.5 material available.

gorfnab
2011-01-28, 12:17 AM
Well for starters: Psychic Warrior Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162701).
Have you considered going with Claw attacks and Tiger Claw Manuevers?

Keld Denar
2011-01-28, 12:32 AM
You don't get a lot of synergy between them other than all good saves. If you went with Ardent or Psion (Egoist), you'd get a lot more mileage out of your psionic side for almost no investment.

Otherwise, things to consider are:
Link Power (CPsi), I know you said no metapowers, but this guy is HUGE for rapid buffing. Use it with a swift or immediate action buff like Grip of Iron to get another buff up the next round.

Instant Clarity (ToB), recover the focus you burned on Link Power on your next turn as a swift action after using a strike.

Psicrystal Affinity/Containment (XPH), tank like a BEAST when you use Share Pain on your pet rock, and then share manifest Vigor on it.

Expanded Knowledge (XPH), pick up lots of powers that don't appear on your list. Winners are Scism, Dimension Hop, Astral Construct, Metamorphasis, etc.

RipperOfShirts
2011-01-28, 02:04 AM
Only a suggestion, and not for a base class, but War Mind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm). You only get a handful of (Psywarrior) powers over your 10 levels, and only up to 5th level, but Sweeping Strike + Maneuvers = Yes. It only takes 5 levels to get to, and with the skill pre-reqs you can snag it at 10th no problem.

gorfnab
2011-01-28, 02:49 PM
Just found a Swordsage Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181705) for you as well.

Saint GoH
2011-01-28, 03:21 PM
There are few good almost no PrC's for a Psychic Warrior, to be honest. Likewise, Swordsage is typically (in my opinion) left by itself. Also, I feel the need to throw out the obligatory Unarmed Swordsage, because many PsyWar powers lend themselves to being large.

Something to consider if you decide to go a Claw PsyWarr is Shadow Sun Ninja on the SSage side. Melee attacks dealing negative energy which you can use to fuel positive energy (aka healing).

If you can finagle Oriental Adventures as an allowed Sourcebook, Shiba Protector lets you add your wisdom bonus to both attack and damage at first level (Intuitive strike +Shiba = Double Wis to attack, Shadow Sun Ninja+ Shiba= Double Wis to damage. Lovely.)

Mostly Id figure PsyWarr 20//UASS 5/Shadow Sun 10/UASS 5

kestrel404
2011-01-28, 04:31 PM
I'll second the idea of playing an Ardent in place of a Psychic warrior, especially if the Web Enhancements for the class are available (filling in missing spots in the Mantle's power lists, and getting a boost to one mantle at level 10).

Then you take ardent to 10, and a decent psionic PrC for the last 10. Ardent is very nice because you're not limited in the powers you can choose except by what you can manifest - and the Practiced Manifester feat will cover several multiclassing/missed psionic advancement slips without losing you the higher level powers.

If you're really insistent on taking Psychic Warrior, then your best bet is to aim for the Master of the Nine prestige class on the Swordsage side. The biggest problem with Mot9 is it's really nasty feat tax for entry, most(all?) of which can be filled by your Psywar bonus feats. For prestige classes on the Psywar side, there's nothing wrong with Anarchic Initiate if you can meet the Know(Planes) requirement, or Ebon Saint if you've got the Assassin's Stance (which you'll basicaly need to be in all the time until you hit Ebon Saint 3).

The problem with Psychic warrior and prestige classes are mostly obviated by having a gestalt class with decent skills and class features other than feats.