PDA

View Full Version : Sending Lite [3.5 spell]

blackmage
2011-01-28, 12:41 PM
I like the idea of the spells Sending and Message, but thought there might be space for another communication spell. This spell is intended to have the same range as Sending, and like Sending the target can recognize the caster. But that's all, no 25 words, no reply, nothing but the 'poke' of being targeted. This could be used as a signal to start an attack or warning sent back by a scout, so I want it to be cast in a couple rounds at most.

But, I'm not sure what level and casting time is appropriate to this effect, since it IS a plane-crossing effect. What do y'all suggest?

EDIT: Alright, went with 1st level spell, just a standard action to cast.

Signal
Evocation
Level: Clr 1, Wiz/Sorc 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: See text
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You make fleeting contact with a particular creature you are familiar with, regardless of the physical distance between you. The subject recognizes you if it knows you, and is aware that you have made this contact with them, but no other information may be sent to the subject and the subject is not able to respond.

If the creature in question is not on the same plane of existence as you are, there is a 5% chance that the sending does not arrive. (Local conditions on other planes may worsen this chance considerably.)

ThirdEmperor
2011-01-28, 12:42 PM
I'd say 1st, as it's essentialy just a "Hey! Listen!"

Rainbownaga
2011-01-28, 04:42 PM
I'd say 1st, as it's essentialy just a "Hey! Listen!"

OOooh, sacrifice a level 9 spell to make it permanent and drive a creature insane by spamming it :smalltongue:

Fizban
2011-01-29, 07:08 AM
I'd be pretty leery of allowing infinite range anything for a 1st level spell, on general principal. It's a 1st level spell, a spell so simple that any amount of training will let you cast it, and it can reach anyone, anywhere, even on other planes? Make it at least 2nd level, cannot cross planes, and maybe let them send a one syllable word if you think it needs more. I could swear I've seen a "lesser sending" that was 3rd level and it still didn't go across planes.