PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerous ironsmiths? (3.5)

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-28, 02:35 PM
Inspired by certain African folklore which portrays ironsmiths as sorcerers and wise-men, I want to create a country in which the typical smith is actually a spellcaster capable of creating wonders. I was thinking of statting them as something like Sorcerer 6, with Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Wondrous Item.

My question is: what spells should these smiths know, that might allow them to create great weapons and works of art in record time, or might otherwise enhance their craft?

Telonius
2011-01-28, 02:39 PM
I'll probably be ninja'd on this, but something like Artificer could work particularly well for what you want. There are also some time/gold/xp reducing feats in the Eberron campaign setting. If you're sure about wanting Sorcerer, just make sure they can cast the prerequisite spells of the typical items you're planning on having.

ericgrau
2011-01-28, 02:42 PM
You might want to try wizards instead for the int bonus to crafting, unless you plan on restricting them to enhancing existing weapons without ever using an actual forge.

Level 1-5 Spells to consider: [greater] magic weapon, flame arrow, mage armor (can target others), identify, obscure object, shatter, keen edge, shrink item, Leomund's secret chest, major creation, fabricate.

2e magic missile was actual "missiles" i.e. arrows. You could flavor their magic missiles that way along with Melf's acid arrows. Telekinesis + shrink item Large greatswords is a good combo to fling a dozen 3d6 swords at foes for damage. Takes 2 rounds though, 1 to deploy & unshrink and 1 to fling. But after that you can refling the same swords. You could also create them with major creation or enhance the shrunken ones ahead of time with greater magic weapon.

Besides arms and armor there are some wondrous items that fit the flavor. Whip feather token at low levels for a dancing whip, or an instant fortress at high levels, for example. Especially the wondrous items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm) that also require crafts arms and armor (search the page for those words).

Diarmuid
2011-01-28, 02:44 PM
For spells, I would say look at the most common weapon enchantments you envision these peoples using and pick the required spells.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-28, 02:48 PM
I'll probably be ninja'd on this, but something like Artificer could work particularly well for what you want. There are also some time/gold/xp reducing feats in the Eberron campaign setting. If you're sure about wanting Sorcerer, just make sure they can cast the prerequisite spells of the typical items you're planning on having.

Yeah... I had kind of forgotten about artificers 'cause I never use Eberron, but I guess in this case they really might be best.

In particular though, I was looking more for spells that would give them bonuses on craft checks, to enable them to effortlessly make masterwork items and reduce the crafting time.

ericgrau
2011-01-28, 02:49 PM
Fabricate (level 5) is the best way to reduce the craft time. 1 round. Uses the caster's craft modifier. Only ways I know to boost the actual modifier are the dwarf's racial bonus, feats, custom magic items (require DM approval, questionable), and a high int. Even with a high modifier it takes weeks. Spells may be a better bet. Even if the caster isn't 10th level a head caster could fabricate piles of swords or the casters could stick to enhancing existing swords. Or a custom 4th level spell that only makes 1 weapon at a time instead of the huge volume of fabricate might fit the bill.

Pika...
2011-01-28, 03:25 PM
There's a magic hammer and a thungs in some book (Faerun?) which gives +10ish to craft Armorsmithing and Weaponsmithing respectfully.

Khatoblepas
2011-01-28, 04:01 PM
Midgard Dwarves in Frostburn might fit the bill. CR5, and they have a +8 racial bonus on Craft checks, 8+Int skills per level (And a +4 bonus to Int), and the following ability:

Master Smith (Ex): Midgard dwarves gain Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, and Forge Ring as bonus feats. They are considered to possess the prerequisites necessary to craft any magic item of those types, even if they do not otherwise meet the requirements or have the ability to cast the necessary spells.

They could easily accrue the favor of rich nations of produce an Anvil of Fabrication (a 1/day item costs 9000gp to make, I believe, so it'll make back it's investment after 28.5 longswords... which is one casting of Fabricate, maybe even less. Mark up your prices for "Guarenteed Quality", or mine Adamantine for a quicker revenue boost), so they can pump out armor and weapons lead by a talented Dwarf, while lesser dwarves can make magical trinkets to sell.

With a minimum roll of 22, they could make Masterwork items in their sleep.

Other considerations are:
Divine Insight, 5+CL bonus on one skill check. Being level 5, these guys could get a +10 bonus on their crafting.
Unseen Servant can Aid Another 50% of the time for a +2 circumstance bonus. Mass Unseen Servant can give you more.
Guidance gives you a +1 competence bonus, and is a cantrip. Get the wise man type to grant you this until you can get them to craft their own competence items (+1 competence is only a 100gp item!!)

Note that Sorcerers actually make really bad crafters compared to wizards and archivists, because of the lack of Int synergy. Even a Cloistered Cleric could be preferable, because of Divine Insight and:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm
The Artifice Domain, giving you an untyped +4 on your craft checks.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-01-28, 06:08 PM
Warlocks or Wizards might work better...

Sorcerers have a limited spell list, and while they can just use a scroll, Wizards certainly benefit from Intelligence being their main casting ability which also happens to apply to Craft...

And a level 12 Warlock doesn't actually NEED to know a spell, either divine or arcane, for crafting assuming he can make a UMD check of DC 15+ spell level for Arcane spells and DC25+ spell level for Divine spells.

And UMD is a warlock class skill; they also get other bonuses to it like being able to take 10 on it.

So in that sense, outside of various prestige classes (to gain access to divine spells along with the arcane spells), a warlock is probably the most versatile when it comes to crafting. I know nothing about Artificer, however, and considering its reputation it probably easily beats warlock at this job.