PDA

View Full Version : Bag of holding on your head trick?

druid91
2011-01-28, 08:55 PM
I remember hearing about a trick where someone would take a bag of holding turn it inside out put it over their heads, and walk through walls.

How on earth does this work?

dsmiles
2011-01-28, 09:01 PM
I've never heard that one. I've always ruled that if you turn a bag inside out, all of the contents spill out on the ground. I can't imagine that putting it on your head would do any more than putting a plastic bag on your head. :smallconfused:

druid91
2011-01-28, 09:09 PM
Usually it's told in the form of an old rules abuse, or something a munchkin would do.

dracoslaad
2011-01-28, 09:13 PM
It's not a trick, but rather a joke. The only place I ever heard it referenced was in a column that was parodying completely horrible D&D strategies. The basic concept is that the extraplanar space is around you, therefore you phase through walls. It's completely and utterly ridiculous and should never be taken seriously. If you have a munchkin suggesting this trick, hit them with something.

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-28, 09:16 PM
Preferably a book.

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-28, 09:21 PM
I can't imagine that putting it on your head would do any more than putting a plastic bag on your head. :smallconfused:
The premise is that anything that is touching the inside of the bag (which is now outside) is sent to the nondimensional space. So, like, anything touching your head would have to touch the inside-now-outside of the bag. I've never seen it used as a RAW or RAI argument, but more of a gag suggestion for when you need to prevent an apocalypse with only ~3000 gold and a few hours preparation.

Though, personally, I've always heard it used more as a cloak than a helmet, so like fireballs or meteors end up getting stored making you invincible to anything that isn't pointy.

Lateral
2011-01-28, 09:21 PM
Preferably a book.

A heavy rulebook, if you can get one. I suggest FATAL.
(DISCLAIMER: The above suggestion was only for hitting people with the FATAL rulebook. At no time should you open that book, lest the sheer horrors inside tear your soul from your body and devour it in a black ritual of bloody destruction.)

dsmiles
2011-01-28, 09:22 PM
Preferably a book.

An unabridged dictionary should suffice.

dariathalon
2011-01-28, 09:25 PM
Preferably a book.

You can let them put a bag on their head first if they think it will help.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-28, 09:28 PM
An unabridged dictionary should suffice.
Ooh, I got one over 6 inches thick. It would have to do.
The only bag over someone's head trick is when you do this to someone else and then pop the bag from the outside. I call it the Vorpal Bag of Holding.

MachineWraith
2011-01-28, 09:32 PM
(DISCLAIMER: The above suggestion was only for hitting people with the FATAL rulebook. At no time should you open that book, lest the sheer horrors inside tear your soul from your body and devour it in a black ritual of bloody destruction.)

But then you have to touch the FATAL rulebook. Not worth it.

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-28, 09:36 PM

What? No. Putting a bag on your head won't help protect you from anything.

:smallannoyed: You gotta turn it inside-out first.

Lateral
2011-01-28, 09:51 PM

Nobody said anything about touching it. You're the DM, get a minion to hold it.

Psyren
2011-01-28, 10:12 PM
It's not a trick, but rather a joke. The only place I ever heard it referenced was in a column that was parodying completely horrible D&D strategies. The basic concept is that the extraplanar space is around you, therefore you phase through walls. It's completely and utterly ridiculous and should never be taken seriously. If you have a munchkin suggesting this trick, hit them with something.

It is also referenced here (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/10/10/episode-085-i-turned-my-bag-of-holding-inside-out-wrapped-it-around-me-and-walked-through-the-dungeon-walls/)

Ravens_cry
2011-01-28, 10:32 PM

Non sequitur at its finest. Yes, a extradimensional space surrounds you, but so does a bag, and that most certainly won't phase through walls.

SiuiS
2011-01-28, 11:06 PM
This is possible the best double entendre on the Internet evar

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-28, 11:43 PM
I suggest FATAL.So tempted to sig this. :smalltongue: If for no other reason than to tease you, and prove that someone, somewhere suggested that system for anything.

Roderick_BR
2011-01-29, 12:14 AM
(...) If you have a munchkin suggesting this trick, hit them with something.
What if they try to cover their head with a turned-inside-out bag of holding to try to protect themselves?

Innis Cabal
2011-01-29, 12:17 AM
This is an old joke title for 8 Bit Theater. Nothing more.

Randel
2011-01-29, 12:56 AM
I think that origionated from a line in a Dead Alewives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Alewives) sketch (the same guys who did the "I attack the darkness" line).

The sketch in question had the three guys at the gaming table when one of them brings his girlfriend over to play. The DM doesn't like her joining the game in the middle of the story so the group decides that she should play the (female) DMPC for now.

The DM doesn't like having her play the DMPC so he makes it needlessly difficult for her character to do anything (he basically has he start off in a sealed room with no doors or lights or anything and her attempts to 'turn on the lights' results in the DM joking that Thomas Edison teleports in to invent the lightbulb). She gets upset and leaves. Then the others are upset when suddenly the DM has his DMPC show up with their group to lead them to some treasure-rich adventure. The following lines occur.

Player: "Wait, how did you get out of that sealed room?"

DMPC: "I turned my bag of holding inside out walked through the dungeon walls."

Player: "You can do that?"

DMPC: "Its all in the dice. C'mon... lets go on an adventure."

So yeah, thats the only time I've heard of it being done.

Psyren
2011-01-29, 01:12 AM
This is an old joke title for 8 Bit Theater. Nothing more.

Brian got it from somewhere else, I'm fairly sure; I don't think he came up with it.

Lateral
2011-01-29, 08:35 AM
So tempted to sig this. :smalltongue: If for no other reason than to tease you, and prove that someone, somewhere suggested that system for anything.

Go ahead. :smalltongue:

begooler
2011-01-29, 03:34 PM

Well, just put an inside out bag of holding on your hand as a glove!

Bayar
2011-01-29, 05:02 PM

Preferably a plastc bag. That covers their face. And prevents breathing.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-29, 06:35 PM

No! Munchkins must live, otherwise we wouldn't have anything to look down upon :smallfrown:

Ormur
2011-01-29, 10:05 PM
I thought turning a bag of holding inside-out ruined it, or was that just something some somewhere DM ruled to prevent a headache?

ericgrau
2011-01-29, 11:35 PM
Ah 2e players had all the creative rules abuse, before 3e banned it all. Now all we get are infinite stats from loops. There was also the trick to drain the oceans with ring gates, now 3e ring gates have a weight per day limit. Though I could tell you that rainfall and evaporation (from the destination gate) would outpace drainage by a large amount anyway. Or back when dimension door was a door you'd put a door below someone and above that same portal so they'd fall a thousand times and then you move a portal and splat. Or other Thinking With Portals (TM). Or you'd get party members through tight spaces by stuffing them into bags of holding first. That one might still work.

Jack_Simth
2011-01-29, 11:44 PM
Or you'd get party members through tight spaces by stuffing them into bags of holding first. That one might still work.That one does still work... if they're within the weight and volume limits. Otherwise, you have a problem when they rupture the bags....

OracleofWuffing
2011-01-29, 11:47 PM
I thought turning a bag of holding inside-out ruined it, or was that just something some somewhere DM ruled to prevent a headache?

Yeah, that must be a DM ruling. Bag of Holding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#bagofHolding)

If a bag of holding is turned inside out, its contents spill out, unharmed, but the bag must be put right before it can be used again.

And, hey, while I'm at it...

If living creatures are placed within the bag, they can survive for up to 10 minutes, after which time they suffocate.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-30, 02:50 PM
Great. Now I'm thinking of a character who has a dozen bag of holdings, each holding a different type of creature and a Bottle of Air. At the start of every combat, he turns one inside out and says 'I choose you, displacer beast / dire wolf / musk creeper!'...

dsmiles
2011-01-30, 02:53 PM
Great. Now I'm thinking of a character who has a dozen bag of holdings, each holding a different type of creature and a Bottle of Air. At the start of every combat, he turns one inside out and says 'I choose you, displacer beast / dire wolf / musk creeper!'...I'm so using this. BBEG for my next comedic action campaign right here.

grimbold
2011-01-30, 03:02 PM

of course thenyou would have to deal with the drowning rules