PDA

View Full Version : Experienced 3.5 player needs a new game

Aemoh87
2011-02-01, 11:50 PM
I wanna try a different RPG because my party is power gaming WAY to much. Give me a game to play, a reason why, and the pros/cons. Do not suggest 4E since I have played a ton of that as well.

Ozreth
2011-02-02, 12:28 AM
Why not find a new group?

Aside from that have you tried earlier editions of d&d?

I've been looking to get into Legend of the Five Rings. I feel like I can't go wrong with a beautiful asian fantasy setting, a rules light system, awesome fluff, beautiful books, a focus on social situations with combat being rare, and when it does happen is often fatal.

The 4e L5R core book just came out not too long ago and has seen VERY little complaints. Seems to be the most solid rules update of any RPG I know of.

Aemoh87
2011-02-02, 12:33 AM
I do have a bunch of the books but I have never read them. I will look into that. Also, can't find a new group since I am a power gamer as well and they are some of my best friends.

dsmiles
2011-02-02, 05:43 AM
Paranoia.

That is all, citizen, move along.

Earthwalker
2011-02-02, 05:52 AM
For lots of number crunching goodness I would say

Shadowrun 4e (or 3e if you can get it)

I would recomend a game you would be able to get any more which is

Torg (lots of fun and high adventure) I basically love this game.

Finally I will say, go for some rules light free game and try it for a while. What can you lose.

Eldariel
2011-02-02, 05:54 AM
AD&D 2e is a personal favorite; the Core of 3.X can be found in the game but it actually works (that is, classes do what they're supposed to and work on broadly the same powerlevel; rudimentary multiclassing functions though it's not nearly as free as 3.X and there's a whole ton of rational but stereotypical limitations based on race, class and so on). Sure, you can still powergame but there's some balance to the whole deal...as long as you're willing to adjust and discard some rules. Like, the balance between magic and mundane is quite good simply due to magic being hard (not to mention slow; non-casters advance much more rapidly). Don't forget Player Options-book if you go this way tho; I really like how it expands the game. It's like 2.5e.

Other solid options, GURPS if you're willing to put some more work into everything and would enjoy a classless system, it definitely works.

Star Wars Saga Edition is quite possibly the best thing to ever come out of d20; if you don't mind Sci-Fi you could definitely give it a shot. As a bonus, it's quite close to 3.X, just with just about every appalling mistake in 3.X design not there. D20 Modern is quite good too, though not very broad.

Paranoia would have a completely different feel, as would FUDGE but both definitely do their thing very well. Neither is nearly as serious as D&D though; both take a rather light stance towards the gameworld right from the get-go. Fudge had scientists-with-their-minds-transmitted-into-rats-with-scalpels-tied-on-their-backs killing marines (for example; you can run pretty much anything in fudge) while Paranoia is a 1984-type dystopia where players die and a new one is inserted basically immediately with the party plotting against each other with a completely insane wonderful Computer overseeing everything, giving the players completely insane missions and acting as the ultimate antagonist.

That's a few options off the top of my head. World of Darkness and Call of Cthulhu both offer a variety of solid options for what you'd expect too.

dsmiles
2011-02-02, 06:01 AM
Paranoia would have a completely different feel, as would FUDGE but both definitely do their thing very well. Neither is nearly as serious as D&D though; both take a rather light stance towards the gameworld right from the get-go. Fudge had scientists-with-their-minds-transmitted-into-rats-with-scalpels-tied-on-their-backs killing marines (for example; you can run pretty much anything in fudge) while Paranoia is a 1984-type dystopia where players die and a new one is inserted basically immediately with the party plotting against each other with a completely insane wonderful Computer overseeing everything, giving the players completely insane missions and acting as the ultimate antagonist.That is treasonous, citizen. Report yourself immediately to the nearest detention center for immediate reclamation by Friend Computer.

Greenish
2011-02-02, 10:50 AM
I have heard good things of Mouseguard, and always wanted to try it out.

Haven't had an opportunity, yet, to even browse the actual rules, though. :smallfrown:

Amphetryon
2011-02-02, 11:36 AM
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game is my suggestion. It is a familiar genre, so might be an easier sell to your players. It's a much grittier, more grimdark setting, with combat as a deadlier, more frightening option, where it's harder to just find the 'I Win' buttons that are often seen as problematic in 3.5.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-02, 11:39 AM
Risus.

I'm gonna say Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm).

Because it's hard to powergame, easy to learn, and can fit any setting. And it can be serious if you insist.

Some people say it's too simple. I don't agree, but, you know, there's a con. I guess.

(Yes I like pimping this game.)

Aemoh87
2011-02-02, 11:41 AM
I like the idea of deadly combat as well. So many people who play 3.5 invite combat and would never ever do anything to avoid a fight they think they would win. I want a game where combat has at least equal risk to reward, because even without res spells in 3.5 there is soooo much reward to fighting.

randomhero00
2011-02-02, 11:44 AM
I recommend any white wolf game, especially werewolf and Exalted.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-02, 11:44 AM
Well, Risus is built on the assumption that fighting is fun, and should be done at any given opportunity. But fighting doesn't need to be deadly, or even look lke a fight - an argument between a married couple would use the same combat system as a dogfight between ace space fighters.

Of course, combat can have disasterous consequences, as the winner gets to decide what happens to the loser.

Risus also doesn't contain loot or experience points or anything by default. And loot doesn't usually have a mechanical impact unless the GM says it does.

The Big Dice
2011-02-02, 11:45 AM
I like the idea of deadly combat as well. So many people who play 3.5 invite combat and would never ever do anything to avoid a fight they think they would win. I want a game where combat has at least equal risk to reward, because even without res spells in 3.5 there is soooo much reward to fighting.

Legend of the Five Rings has pretty deadly combat. And it's basically a fantasy game of magical samurai rather than magical Europeans. GURPS and Call of Cthulhu also have fairly deadly combat systems.

If you can track down a copy of Cyberpunk 2020 (and ignore the fact that it was written before the internet happened) than a reasonably forceful blow to the head is lethal.

Pendragon has a fairly dangerous combat system, and is based on the idea that your character will grow old and die, letting you play the descendants of your first character.