PDA

View Full Version : Pranksters

Hawkflight
2011-02-02, 02:27 AM
Well ... here's the deal. In an upcoming game, I'm playing a wizard/rogue petal, and I really want to be a prankster-type. Presently I have cantrips and level 1 spells like prestidigitation, arcane mark, etc. to play with, but I was wondering if there was actually a class (base or prc) out there that actually focuses on playing pranks? If so, where can I find it? If not ... would somebody be willing to make one? Because somehow this seems like an awesome idea.

P.S.: The class needs to actually be playably decent. If it's a PrC, I would like to see full spellcasting, or something worth the loss of spellcasting levels.

Waker
2011-02-02, 02:38 AM
Given that much of D&D is focused on combat, finding a class that focuses on pranks is unlikely, despite the number of them that have the name trickster in the name. That being said, you'll probably be drawn to Arcane Trickster and Unseen Seer since they progress spellcasting while still allowing for some sneaky skills.
Most of your pranking will be done as RP hijinks. Prestidigitation is one of the handiest of spells when it comes to pranking, since you can do so much with it. Think the barbarian needs a new look? Slap some pink flower designs on his armor. Surprise your party members by making their breakfast taste like a boot. Claim the druid isn't potty trained by soiling her undergarments.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-02, 02:55 AM
if you're already a wizard and a rogue, you're good to go

Try to convince your DM to let you use cantrips as they're used in pathfinder, where you can cast them an unlimited number of times per day. Then you can set up tons of fun tricks.

My favorite cantrips for pranks include:

Prestidigitation
Mage Hand
Arcane Mark
Ghost Sound
Dancing Lights
Stick

If you get creative enough, you can cause some great havoc and laughs with those 6 spells.

dsmiles
2011-02-02, 05:39 AM
Agreed. Wizard/Rogue is a good combination for a prankster, though I would probably either go Sorcerer/Rogue and use the Charisma-based skills of a rogue, or go straight beguiler (PHB II).

Also, consider renaming your spells to fit the prankster concept.
For example:

Arcane Mark becomes Faerie Graffiti
Mage Hand becomes (Insert Name Here)'s Flippin' Finger
Ghost Sound could become Sweet Nothings
Dancing Lights could become Glowing Disco Ball of Doom

Really exploit the prankster nature of the Fae when you play this character. Renaming spells or skills can go a long way to add to the flavor of the character.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-02, 05:41 AM
Slapping Hand is another good spell out of the SC. Its in-combat use is to grant opportunity attacks against the critter you slap. Its out-of-combat use is to slap party members in the face, rear, etc. You could also re-flavor it as an eyepoke, a pinch, a flick to the nose, etc. Medium range, too.

AugustNights
2011-02-02, 05:59 AM
Pranking the group.
I played a Psionic Engineer in a game way back in the day, in a house-ruled world where Psionics were charisma based. Me and the party Barbarian/Rogue had some great fun pranking the party members.
First we made a character list.
1) Psion
2) Rogue(/Barbarian)
3) Ranger
4) Fighter
5) Druid
They had names but I have long since forgotten them.

We then made a list of nasty pranks and listed it alphabetically.
For example:

A) Cover pants in honey
B) Grease weapons in hilt
C) Shave off all hair
D) Blame it on (X)
E) Put chunks of (to be named) in their food
F) Paint (to be named) on their face.
G) Change out potions for water, keep potions.
H) Change out potions for grease, keep potions.
I) Take weapons, put next to (X)
J) Dress (XI) up as a monster, frantically wake up (X2) and warn them.

And then as the night came upon us, Me and the other guy would look at our sheet, then look up and say something like

"We do B to 4, then we J 2 with 2 as XI and 4 as XII."
Hijinx ensued, and the party loved the suspense of trying to foil us two pranksters.