PDA

View Full Version : losing a (Su) quality

sreservoir
2011-02-02, 05:04 PM
entropic has a usable +2 LA for the Outsider type, but the negative energy aura is mildly annoying; alter self and polymorph keep the (Su) aura but lose the (Ex) negative adaptation, so basically, I'm going to have to either lose 1 str/min or 1 hp/round while polymorphed.

is there any way to lose a (Su) special quality? other LA <= 2 templates works too. and no, planetouched wouldn't work, because small size is necessary.

Kuma Kode
2011-02-02, 05:21 PM
Can the entropic turn off its aura? I think unless specifically stated a creature can activate or deactivate its own abilities.

Czin
2011-02-02, 05:26 PM
entropic has a usable +2 LA for the Outsider type, but the negative energy aura is mildly annoying; alter self and polymorph keep the (Su) aura but lose the (Ex) negative adaptation, so basically, I'm going to have to either lose 1 str/min or 1 hp/round while polymorphed.

is there any way to lose a (Su) special quality? other LA <= 2 templates works too. and no, planetouched wouldn't work, because small size is necessary.

There's a true-naming spell (not a true naming word, but a simple spell that can be casted by bards and wizards/sorcerers, though you need to use a truenaming check) that can permanently rob something of it's supernatural abilities. Typically this spell is used to do things like remove a Dragon's breath weapon, or eliminate a Beholder's eye-magic one eye at a time. So you could find a high level bard or wizard/sorcerer to cast this spell on you and forever remove that supernatural aura.

Khatoblepas
2011-02-02, 05:36 PM
Ability Rip (Serpent Kingdoms) can do this, in exchange for giving you a Su Ability from someone else for a few hours.

If only it were permanent, though...

sreservoir
2011-02-02, 05:51 PM
There's a true-naming spell (not a true naming word, but a simple spell that can be casted by bards and wizards/sorcerers, though you need to use a truenaming check) that can permanently rob something of it's supernatural abilities. Typically this spell is used to do things like remove a Dragon's breath weapon, or eliminate a Beholder's eye-magic one eye at a time. So you could find a high level bard or wizard/sorcerer to cast this spell on you and forever remove that supernatural aura.

source?

ed: tome of magic, spurn the supernatural? concentration, up to 1 rd/level.

Ability Rip (Serpent Kingdoms) can do this, in exchange for giving you a Su Ability from someone else for a few hours.

...that's a terrible spell, the wanted effect is permanent. still horribly-designed, though: a permanent, irreversible loss for a temporary gain, if I'm reading that correctly? bleh.

bit too high-level for me, though.

Czin
2011-02-02, 05:54 PM
source?

The Tome of Magic.

sreservoir
2011-02-02, 05:56 PM
The Tome of Magic.

if you mean spurn the supernatural (p258), that's concentration duration.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-02, 05:59 PM

Pretty nasty if you as a PC can get a weak, tiny little Su ability somehow. "I trade my Supernatural Ability to make flowers bloom for that dragons breath weapon."

Czin
2011-02-02, 05:59 PM
if you mean spurn the supernatural (p258), that's concentration duration.

There's a level 9 (Sorc/Wizard) variation of that spell somewhere I believe, but I can't seem to find my ToM book.

sreservoir
2011-02-02, 06:04 PM
Pretty nasty if you as a PC can get a weak, tiny little Su ability somehow. "I trade my Supernatural Ability to make flowers bloom for that dragons breath weapon."

1 hour casting time, both have to be conscious to cast it, and fort negate. also touch range.

There's a level 9 (Sorc/Wizard) variation of that spell somewhere I believe, but I can't seem to find my ToM book.

it's neither truename binding, greater (why is that a 9? it's just worse than gate!) nor unname (SoD, basically).

Ravens_cry
2011-02-02, 06:06 PM
1 hour casting time, both have to be conscious to cast it, and fort negate. also touch range.

Ah, that does put a damper on things. If you can stay at touch range of an awake dragon for an hour, you don't need its breath weapon.

Czin
2011-02-02, 06:07 PM

it's neither truename binding, greater (why is that a 9? it's just worse than gate!) nor unname (SoD, basically).

Unname is a level 9 because if you fail your save it is very, very, very difficult and time/resource expensive to bring you back.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-02, 06:08 PM
Just who even makes a spell with a one-hour casting time?

Oh, right, evil maddened snake people.

sreservoir
2011-02-02, 06:35 PM
Unname is a level 9 because if you fail your save it is very, very, very difficult and time/resource expensive to bring you back.

soul bind. trap the soul.

trap the soul does it better, being no save just die.

Czin
2011-02-02, 06:39 PM
soul bind. trap the soul.

trap the soul does it better, being no save just die.

Trap the soul can be thwarted by simply breaking the Gem, if the players don't even have in character knowledge that their buddy was killed with unname, then the chances of that character being revived are pretty much nil.

Jack_Simth
2011-02-02, 06:46 PM

Not easily, no. However, if this is the specific reason, look up the Ring of Negative Protection, Magic Item Compendium. Share with your friends.

Khatoblepas
2011-02-02, 06:47 PM

You can still cast it. "Say, if I pay you this much, fellow entropic creature, would you lose your entropic aura for a few hours so I can permanently get rid of mine? You just have to fail a save!"

Mando Knight
2011-02-02, 06:56 PM
Y'know, if it's the Outsider type you want, the Planetouched are only +1 LA...

sreservoir
2011-02-02, 07:01 PM
Not easily, no. However, if this is the specific reason, look up the Ring of Negative Protection, Magic Item Compendium. Share with your friends.

the spell works fine. archivist, did I mention?

You can still cast it. "Say, if I pay you this much, fellow entropic creature, would you lose your entropic aura for a few hours so I can permanently get rid of mine? You just have to fail a save!"

it doesn't even have to be entropic. you can get a pixie who can't find a date :smallbiggrin:

Y'know, if it's the Outsider type you want, the Planetouched are only +1 LA...

and no, planetouched wouldn't work, because small size is necessary.

Khatoblepas
2011-02-02, 07:07 PM
it doesn't even have to be entropic. you can get a pixie who can't find a date :smallbiggrin:

"Oh, and what a date. He just kept chanting his magic words and all the while I had this really embarassing nosebleed. I swear, if I hadn't had that Pearl of Cure Minor Wounds I swear I would have died from it. And for the rest of the day, I couldn't even go invisible to hide my shame! Of course the guy had to go and vanish after he FINALLY finished saying those strange mutterings!"

Zaq
2011-02-02, 07:33 PM
So close, and yet so far.

Spurn the Supernatural isn't permanent, but Expunge the Supernatural most certainly is.

sreservoir
2011-02-02, 07:54 PM
"Oh, and what a date. He just kept chanting his magic words and all the while I had this really embarassing nosebleed. I swear, if I hadn't had that Pearl of Cure Minor Wounds I swear I would have died from it. And for the rest of the day, I couldn't even go invisible to hide my shame! Of course the guy had to go and vanish after he FINALLY finished saying those strange mutterings!"

haha yes

So close, and yet so far.

Spurn the Supernatural isn't permanent, but Expunge the Supernatural most certainly is.

that works! I'll pick up a few truenaming ranks, then.