PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Insanity effect with True Seeing

Lateral
2011-02-02, 10:18 PM
What's that spell that has a side effect of making someone go insane if you cast it on them and they have True Seeing on?

quiet1mi
2011-02-02, 11:33 PM
You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. The subject sees through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range of true seeing conferred is 120 feet.

True seeing, however, does not penetrate solid objects. It in no way confers X-ray vision or its equivalent. It does not negate concealment, including that caused by fog and the like. True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means. In addition, the spell effects cannot be further enhanced with known magic, so one cannot use true seeing through a crystal ball or in conjunction with clairaudience/clairvoyance.
Seems like it just penetrates through magic... If my character is hallucinating, lets say from a poison, he will still see things that are not there... However illusions, creatures and objects hidden through magical means as well as blur and displacement effects cannot hide from your steely gaze of truth!

Zaq
2011-02-03, 02:07 AM
I don't know of any spells that do that. Maybe you're thinking of the obyrith class of demons from FC1?

DragonOfUndeath
2011-02-03, 02:27 AM
I don't know of any spells that do that. Maybe you're thinking of the obyrith class of demons from FC1?

Obviously it's Polymorph. Polymorph into the obyrith class of Demons.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-02-03, 04:42 AM
A Symbol of insanity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/symbolofinsanity.htm) covered by an illusion?

dsmiles
2011-02-03, 05:18 AM
In one of my campaign worlds (a survival horror world, that I did back in about mid-2004) True Seeing itself had a chance to drive people insane. With it, you could see all the things that hovered on the planar borders of the Prime Material Plane. It was like looking into the Far Realm (before WotC even published the Far Realm, AFAIK). The longer you had True Seeing up, the higher chance you had of going insane. In certain areas, where the planar borders were thinner, the chances increased even more.

Amnestic
2011-02-03, 05:30 AM
In one of my campaign worlds (a survival horror world, that I did back in about mid-2004) True Seeing itself had a chance to drive people insane. With it, you could see all the things that hovered on the planar borders of the Prime Material Plane. It was like looking into the Far Realm (before WotC even published the Far Realm, AFAIK). The longer you had True Seeing up, the higher chance you had of going insane. In certain areas, where the planar borders were thinner, the chances increased even more.

I recall a minor NPC from Baldur's Gate 2 in Spellhold who suffered from something like that permanently. Even when she shut her eyes.

She was, of course, quite insane.

Czin
2011-02-03, 08:15 AM

Nitpick; The far realm was part of D&D since first edition.

dsmiles
2011-02-03, 08:20 AM
Nitpick; The far realm was part of D&D since first edition. Maybe I just never saw the material, then. I didn't know it existed until I bought the Epic Level Handbook in late '04.

Anarril
2011-02-03, 08:28 AM
The spell you seek is called Sensory Overload and was made by Rich Burlew (the owner of this site/forum :-)). You can find it here (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/LQrUU7ApBttgaXkOzts.html).

Lateral
2011-02-03, 02:59 PM
Ah, right, that's it.

quiet1mi
2011-02-03, 05:56 PM

+1 that is Awesome!