PDA

View Full Version : A Tim Burton RPG?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-02-04, 12:33 AM
I love Tim Burton SSSOOOOOOO much, and I was wondering if there was a tabletop RPG emulating his works. It wouldn't have to be a direct adaptation, but something inspired by him would be really cool.
Is there such a game?

Aemoh87
2011-02-04, 12:38 AM
Oh man I hope not.

Wait I hope there is and it's comparable with dnd 3.5 so I can kill johnny depp, one role at a time. Also I would cast deafness on my character so I couldn't hear them sing. I'd even turn down experience, since it obviously has it's own rewards :)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-02-04, 12:42 AM
Oh man I hope not.

Wait I hope there is and it's comparable with dnd 3.5 so I can kill johnny depp, one role at a time. Also I would cast deafness on my character so I couldn't hear them sing. I'd even turn down experience, since it obviously has it's own rewards :)
I honestly don't see what you have against Johnny Depp. He isn't the best actor, but he very well fits Burton's style.

I would like a Tim Burton RPG because I would love to explore the dark fantasy worlds of his quirky imagination.
That would be SO cool.

Zonugal
2011-02-04, 12:42 AM
Perhaps World of Darkness but with a whole lot of neon paint cans thrown on it.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-02-04, 12:43 AM
Perhaps World of Darkness but with a whole lot of neon paint cans thrown on it.

I tried it, but I strongly dislike the system.

Xefas
2011-02-04, 12:47 AM
Primetime Adventures would model this perfectly. It even has a mechanic for recharging character traits via dramatic monologue/heartfelt discourse/meaningful flashback in a set piece of significance to each character.

NMBLNG
2011-02-04, 12:50 AM
Do you want an entire system, or a setting? Or some special rules appended to a system?

'Cause from what I remember of Tim Burton all you'd need to do is mix the 4e Shadowfell and Feywild together.

Crossblade
2011-02-04, 01:16 AM
Call of Cthulhu is about losing your sanity. Does that count? Just give it some talking doll type things with bad hair and pins sticking out of them, and you should be fine. Maybe have the players shrink to doll size too?

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-02-04, 01:19 AM
Some of the World of Darkness ambience could work, but the system is ill-suited to Tim Burton. WoD is about snappy action, most of all. Everything about the game mechanics is geared to that.

Burton...that's about layering and developing a dark theme, and adding in creative details. Are you familiar with the FATE system? It's very, very different from other RPGs, and it's the engine behind the prominent Dresden Files RPG. FATE is focused around building atmosphere and character through "Aspects", chunks of narrativeness in a character or world.

It's a game where creating and upholding theme is integral to gameplay.

Mastikator
2011-02-04, 03:23 AM
Oh man I hope not.

Bwahahaha!

Actually Tim Burton fluff is totally compatible with dnd 3.5, since dnd 3.5 is basically "Disney on math" you can just paint the protagonist with dark colors to make it "dark and appealing to angsty teenagers".

BobVosh
2011-02-04, 05:19 AM
Have you considered no system at all? Its not like there is much combat in his stuff.

Alternatively Wushu (http://wiki.saberpunk.net/Wushu/HomePage) is very light rules. Highly recommended for a game that hopefully is all off the flavor of his works.

FelixG
2011-02-04, 06:05 AM
Bwahahaha!

Actually Tim Burton fluff is totally compatible with dnd 3.5, since dnd 3.5 is basically "Disney on math" you can just paint the protagonist with dark colors to make it "dark and appealing to angsty teenagers".

Then you have more Kingdom Hearts and less Burton...and god how horrible that would be..

Telonius
2011-02-04, 10:35 AM
I'd suggest Deadlands. It's a "weird west" setting. While it's not specifically Burton-related, there are a lot of things in it that give off the Burton vibe.