PDA

View Full Version : 4E - If you could have one level 1 magic item for free, what would it be?

Ignatius
2011-02-04, 06:03 AM
As the title says...

New campaign starting soon and we are allowed to pick one level 1 magic item for free...

Is there anything that stands out at level 1 as an awesome item?

I am playing a Deva Shaman.

n00b killa
2011-02-04, 07:10 AM
+1 Adamantite Full plate.

Tell you GM to be more specific on the price of the item.

As a rule of thumb, allways remember that magic weapons cost twice as much as magic armors

Talyn
2011-02-04, 07:15 AM
I think you missed the "4th Edition" tagline in the OP's post.

Hmm - level 1 magic item for a shaman. Are you a healer shaman or a buffer shaman?

true_shinken
2011-02-04, 07:22 AM
Dunno for a shaman, but as a tiefling fighter I'd kill to get a flaming weapon at level 1. Well, as a tiefling anything, actually.

Amnestic
2011-02-04, 07:30 AM
Dunno for a shaman, but as a tiefling fighter I'd kill to get a flaming weapon at level 1. Well, as a tiefling anything, actually.

Even a Tiefling Pacifist Cleric? :smallamused:

true_shinken
2011-02-04, 07:33 AM
Even a Tiefling Pacifist Cleric? :smallamused:
Basic attacks, basic attacks. Everyone has their basic attacks.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-04, 07:44 AM
No. Level-1 items are pretty underwhelming as a whole (that's why they're the lowest level, after all). Your best bet is to grab a +1 magic totem.

n00b killa
2011-02-04, 07:46 AM
I think you missed the "4th Edition" tagline in the OP's post.

Hmm - level 1 magic item for a shaman. Are you a healer shaman or a buffer shaman?

Oops, missed that.

Get a +1 acurate implement for shaman (Totems are they called?) if there is such a thing.

To hit is VERY importante on 4e, even for leaders

Kurald Galain
2011-02-04, 07:52 AM
Get a +1 acurate implement for shaman (Totems are they called?) if there is such a thing.
They exist, but the "accurate" part only makes a difference if you're willing to spend a feat on it, and at this level there are several more important feats that should have a higher priority.

n00b killa
2011-02-04, 08:04 AM
They exist, but the "accurate" part only makes a difference if you're willing to spend a feat on it, and at this level there are several more important feats that should have a higher priority.

But you don't have any penalty for using the superior implement if you are non-proficient, right? you just don't get the benefits.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-04, 08:06 AM
But you don't have any penalty for using the superior implement if you are non-proficient, right? you just don't get the benefits.

That is correct.

nightwyrm
2011-02-04, 12:33 PM
You'll outgrow almost any lv 1 item pretty quickly. If you want something that can have some longevity, grab a +1 Distance (thrown weapon of choice) for some low level range options if you're a melee guy, or grab a pair of cannith goggles which gives a +2 to perception.

Doug Lampert
2011-02-04, 01:26 PM
As the title says...

New campaign starting soon and we are allowed to pick one level 1 magic item for free...

I am playing a Deva Shaman.

+1 magic implement is probably your best choice for immediate utility (+1 to attack and damage, +1d6 to crits). As someone else pointed out you may as well make it a superior "accurate" item just for kicks.

This item will be useless by level 5, as you should have gotten or made a better one by then. But I don't consider that a major problem.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-04, 01:54 PM
There are a few items that might be worth having:
- floating shield
- canith goggles
- restful bedroll
- blessed book

The bedroll is likely to be the most useful since temp hp are always good and you can use it every day. The rest are things you're not likely to use as often.

DragonBaneDM
2011-02-04, 03:32 PM
I second an implement. Hungry Spirits was always a fun one for my Shaman. He was Wis/Con though, and as a Deva you'll clearly be rocking the Panther Build.

You're a leader, therefore you do virtually nothing in combat besides healing if you miss. This is true for basically everyone but certain defenders.

Keep that implement bonus high, and grab some armor when you get a chance. You're low level, so you're going to see people attacking your AC a lot more than your Fort, Reflex, and Will for a long time.

tcrudisi
2011-02-04, 03:36 PM
I'll throw in my advise for a +1 weapon/implement as well.

Alternatively, now would be a good time to pick up an item which you will use for the life of your character. Something that, while only level 1, is of great importance even at level 30. It is amazing in its utility and extreme in its awesomeness. There are very few situations which it cannot handle.

That's right, I'm talking about Eternal Chalk.

Woundstitch Powder is also pretty good (to give to an ally with specific instructions to only use it if you go unconscious), as is the Restful Bedroll.

Since you are a Shaman, Cannith Goggles are pretty good and will remain useful far longer than a +1 armor/neck/weapliment.

Re'ozul
2011-02-04, 06:14 PM
The above mentiones (floating shield etc) are nice.

Depending on the difficulty your DM throws at you Woundstitch powder might not be bad.

Sipex
2011-02-07, 11:18 AM
I'd go for the Restful Bedroll personally.

mobdrazhar
2011-02-07, 08:16 PM
i would definately agree on the Restful Bedroll or +1 Totem as they can be used more than once. I would take the Bedroll over the totem as you'll change the totem before you stop using the bedroll.