PDA

View Full Version : Gol-arms?

piemaester
2011-02-04, 10:30 PM
I am playing an artificer (mad scientist) in my next campagin and was wondering if anybody knew of a way to gain a cool prosthetic-arm. I read the half golem templates, and the -6 to intellegence would be horrible for my scientist. But I like the idea of him expeirimenting on himself like that. Maybe a decent homebrew out there that could help me?

Darklady2831
2011-02-04, 10:35 PM
Libris Mortis, Undead Grafts.

Amnestic
2011-02-04, 10:37 PM
Grafts in general seem to be what you're after. You don't need to limit yourself to undead of course. There's some in Lords of Madness and Races of the Dragon as I recall, possibly some others.

Halae
2011-02-04, 10:40 PM
fiend folio has the largest selection of grafts anywhere. My personal suggestion though? get Lords of Madness, as it has a crafting prestige class similar to the artificer that's based around Grafts. It requires some things that artificers dont have, like the heal skill and a familiar, but that's mentioned in the adaptation section, I believe

Hanuman
2011-02-04, 10:44 PM
I am playing an artificer (mad scientist) in my next campagin and was wondering if anybody knew of a way to gain a cool prosthetic-arm. I read the half golem templates, and the -6 to intellegence would be horrible for my scientist. But I like the idea of him expeirimenting on himself like that. Maybe a decent homebrew out there that could help me?
Half golem is for mooks such as a cohort you actually don't care about, because theres a decent chance that your character will "die" and become a golem.

TBH? Invent one. Get the grafting feat and modify it so you craft auto-mail and get some flat out robot arms. If you need help, go to whoever built the warforged, if that fails go knock on Primus' door.

Invent!

HunterOfJello
2011-02-04, 10:46 PM
there's a PrC in one of the eberron books where you replace part of your body with construct parts. i forget which book

*edit*

Renegade Mastermaker from Magic of Eberron does this

piemaester
2011-02-04, 10:52 PM
Wow guys. That was fast.

Let me be a little more specific. This scientist is not very fond of living/dead things. He feels they can't be trusted. He is gonna focus on constructs, which is the kind of prosthetic I was thinking of.

I appreciate the ideas! Keep em' coming!

Leon
2011-02-04, 11:04 PM
He is gonna focus on constructs, which is the kind of prosthetic I was thinking of.

Then its Renegade Mastermaker for you.
The PrC is about the caster slowly making themselves like a Warforged - Including turning one of their arms into a Battlefist.

Other suggestions - Liber Mechanika from Iron Kingdoms has mechanikal limbs detailed in the book (available as a PDF now as well)

Hanuman
2011-02-04, 11:07 PM
Wow guys. That was fast.

Let me be a little more specific. This scientist is not very fond of living/dead things. He feels they can't be trusted. He is gonna focus on constructs, which is the kind of prosthetic I was thinking of.

I appreciate the ideas! Keep em' coming!
My wizard is a modron, he has 9 constructs with him right now, my advice is to homebrew a concept and launch it to your DM.

piemaester
2011-02-04, 11:47 PM
Renegade Mastermaker? I don't have magic of Eberron. Could someone give me some details about the class? Of course, a link to the entire class would be best. :smallbiggrin:

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-04, 11:52 PM
Renegade Mastermaker is a PrC from Magic of Eberron that slowly turns you into a Living Construct, with all the benefits and drawbacks that entails. This includes a Battlefist (replacing your arm with ROBOT ARM), the ability to embed components into yourself (want to mount a light on your forehead? GO FOR IT), and the ability to repair damage on yourself with appropriate skill checks.

Downside is it stunts your casting progression, by how much I can't really say (as I do not remember and have not seen that particular book in some time).

But yeah, sounds right up your alley.

D Knight
2011-02-05, 12:04 AM
there are some warforge grafts in one of the ebberon book. sorry i do not remember the name.

lightningcat
2011-02-05, 12:56 AM
there are some warforge grafts in one of the ebberon book. sorry i do not remember the name.

Faiths of Eberron

And one of them is Mighty Arms.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-05, 01:23 AM
Too bad your character doesn't trust living things, as we all have the right to . . . :cool: bear arms.

AslanCross
2011-02-05, 01:47 AM
Renegade Mastermaker is an artificer PrC that automatically gets a prosthetic arm.

The Mighty Arms graft is probably the cheapest way to get a prosthetic arm, as it costs 1000 GP and that's it.

piemaester
2011-02-05, 02:13 AM
Not interested in full construct really. The mighty arms thing sounds pretty cool. What are the stats for it? Can I add things to it? I don't have a single Eberron book.

Hanuman
2011-02-05, 03:00 AM
Renegade Mastermaker is a PrC from Magic of Eberron that slowly turns you into a Living Construct, with all the benefits and drawbacks that entails. This includes a Battlefist (replacing your arm with ROBOT ARM), the ability to embed components into yourself (want to mount a light on your forehead? GO FOR IT), and the ability to repair damage on yourself with appropriate skill checks.

Downside is it stunts your casting progression, by how much I can't really say (as I do not remember and have not seen that particular book in some time).

But yeah, sounds right up your alley.
Sounds perfect.

No kidding it stunts caster progression considering there's already a living construct race with +2 int and +0 LA

BobVosh
2011-02-05, 05:23 AM
Too bad your character doesn't trust living things, as we all have the right to . . . :cool: bear arms.

YEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! we do have that right.

Just don't take renegade master all the way, its a fun class that is reasonably good to not take all the way.

I hesitate to mention it, but green star adept can be looked upon as self experimentation. Tis a horrible class, although it can be optimized pretty well (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158633)

Halfgolem is decent if you can get your hands on some cloning just in case you die and become a true golem.

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-05, 05:57 AM
Fiend Folio has Maug Grafts. If you want a set of giant stone fists that improve your grip, Stone Rollers to replace your legs, Stone spikes sticking out of your body, or a shoulder mounted gun, you've got the right kind of grafts.

Hanuman
2011-02-05, 06:13 AM
Fiend Folio has Maug Grafts. If you want a set of giant stone fists that improve your grip, Stone Rollers to replace your legs, Stone spikes sticking out of your body, or a shoulder mounted gun, you've got the right kind of grafts.
Maugs are bad-ass, ESPECIALLY as PCs

Asheram
2011-02-05, 06:34 AM
Hm... I'd love to see some homebrew on the Project ARMS weapons...

Volthawk
2011-02-05, 07:36 AM
In terms of homebrew, ChumpLump made a monster class version of Half-Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179202) that may appeal (Warning: A lot of stuff to choose from)

LOTRfan
2011-02-05, 08:24 AM
Sounds perfect.

No kidding it stunts caster progression considering there's already a living construct race with +2 int and +0 LA

Forgive me for asking, but what Living Construct race would that be? I'm nly aware of the Warforged (and variants) when it comes to published Living Constructs, none of which have +2 Intelligence.

lightningcat
2011-02-05, 10:59 AM
Not interested in full construct really. The mighty arms thing sounds pretty cool. What are the stats for it? Can I add things to it? I don't have a single Eberron book.

It gives a slam attack. And you can use warforged components that attach to your hands or arms. But you lose 2 hp.

AtomicKitKat
2011-02-05, 11:56 AM
Seconded on the Maug Grafts(enter Fleshwarper via Beholder/Undead Grafts to start. Story: You tried Beholder/Undead, didn't like it, worked towards Maugs as part of your "pro-construct" stance). I'd avoid Stone Rollers like the plague though. Gives you a freaking Dalek's weakness. *stares* It's good for your minions though.

nedz
2011-02-05, 01:52 PM
There's an interesting option for your left hand, somewhere in the DMG :smallcool:

Just make sure its genuine though :smallbiggrin:

lightningcat
2011-02-05, 01:57 PM
There's an interesting option for your left hand, somewhere in the DMG :smallcool:

Just make sure its genuine though :smallbiggrin:

Ah, one of the original undead grafts. :smallamused:

AslanCross
2011-02-05, 06:35 PM

You don't have to take all levels in Renegade Mastermaker if you don't want to. It only gives that when you complete your levels in it.

As for the Mighty Arms, it gives you a slam attack as appropriate for your size.

The main difference is something many might gloss over:
Renegade Mastermaker gives a battlefist, which deals damage as if it were a slam by a larger-sized creature (1d6). Mighty Arms only gives the warforged's regular slam (1d4).

The Battlefist is explicitly enchantable and gets magical enhancement as you level up.

The Mighty Arms explicitly says that you may attach warforged components to it, but by default I don't think it can be enchanted. You have to enchant the warforged components. (Whereas a warforged Composite Plating can be enchanted, its slam cannot be.)

piemaester
2011-02-05, 06:50 PM
I think I read someone mention a battle fist can be added to mighty arms. Is there another reason to go renegade master then?

AslanCross
2011-02-05, 06:56 PM
Yes, you may add a battlefist to Mighty Arms, but that's a separate item and has to be enchanted manually (It's +1 by default and costs an additional 2600 GP).
The Mastermaker's battlefist starts being magical at Renegade mastermaker Level 2, and isn't a separate item. Also, Renegade Mastermaker has other abilities, such as being able to burn infusions to heal yourself, Craft bonuses, etc. At Level 7, you can use even Artifact-level Warforged components.

piemaester
2011-02-05, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys! Now I have some options. Just need to get the actual books so I know what they are...