PDA

View Full Version : Nifty magic items

BiblioRook
2011-02-05, 02:10 AM
So I'm in a game where the DM doesn't really seem to be inclined to drop treasure but rather periodically just give us one Big Item and call it square.

For most in my party this is pretty easy. The Bard gets a magic harp, and the Swordsage and Clerc both get magic weapons. But me? I'm nothing but straight up skill-monkey (having gone a cleric cleric/rogue route) with absolutely zero use in combat, by design. I'm literally only there to handle skill stuff (and at the moment those skills are only Knowledge ones). But as a result my DM is clueless as to what sorts of items would help me at all.

So I ask you, what are some fun/useful magic items? Perfurably non-combat oriented things, not only do I just not really care about combat but the non-combat stuff just always seemed more interesting and unique as far as Magical Items are concerned.
(Also, don't be afraid to shot big, I'm curious just how much I can get my DM to go for as he's been plenty generous with everyone else's items so far.)

Loki Eremes
2011-02-05, 02:24 AM
So I'm in a game where the DM doesn't really seem to be inclined to drop treasure but rather periodically just give us one Big Item and call it square.

For most in my party this is pretty easy. The Bard gets a magic harp, and the Swordsage and Clerc both get magic weapons. But me? I'm nothing but straight up skill-monkey (having gone a cleric cleric/rogue route) with absolutely zero use in combat, by design. I'm literally only there to handle skill stuff (and at the moment those skills are only Knowledge ones). But as a result my DM is clueless as to what sorts of items would help me at all.

So I ask you, what are some fun/useful magic items? Perfurably non-combat oriented things, not only do I just not really care about combat but the non-combat stuff just always seemed more interesting and unique as far as Magical Items are concerned.
(Also, don't be afraid to shot big, I'm curious just how much I can get my DM to go for as he's been plenty generous with everyone else's items so far.)

ive got some questions for this.

1. he gives the party ONE big magic item for the party to sell?
2. Is he concious of the WBL and the problem of selling magic items acording to the wealth of some cities and the "1/3 of the original price" thing?

Well now to the main topic.
you are a skill monkey, and a rogue, that means: Wands, scrolls, and lots of items that allows you to simply cast spells. Use Magic Device is far one of the greatest skills ever invented, abuse it.

Other items i recommend (if your DM allows it) are skill boosting items.
Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/creatingmagicitems.htm) you got the instructions for the creation of them.
Highlight "Skill bonus (competence)" on the second table.

Being a non combatant is not the best of the ideas tough. Hope you dont find yourself alone and needing to fight. Yeah, you always have the option to escape somehow (i recommend scrolls or wands of dimensional door for this job for example)... but beware of antimagic fields and try not to be solo.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-05, 02:32 AM
Oooh, how about a Decanter of Endless Water?

BiblioRook
2011-02-05, 02:45 AM
ive got some questions for this.

1. he gives the party ONE big magic item for the party to sell?
2. Is he concious of the WBL and the problem of selling magic items acording to the wealth of some cities and the "1/3 of the original price" thing?

I'm pretty sure that he doesn't expect us to sell any of the stuff we get (more to point, we've haven't received a single copper piece since we've started as he's basically thrown most game mechanics out the window and has been doing everything on the fly. But that's a thread unto itself honestly) nor do I expect any of my party members would likewise consider selling off their rewards (most of them are 'blessings from the gods').

I can get away with being such a non combatant as (like with what I said about how he treats game mechanics) we haven't really been fighting at all and what fights we do get into are woefully under-challenged and usually are just talked through rather then fought through ('talked' as describing attacks and the DM decides if they work or not rather then rolling for it). As it is, all those magical weapons my teammates got probably aren't going to make a difference, but I on the other hand actually would like a reward that does something. :smallannoyed:

Loki Eremes
2011-02-05, 03:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that he doesn't expect us to sell any of the stuff we get (more to point, we've haven't received a single copper piece since we've started as he's basically thrown most game mechanics out the window and has been doing everything on the fly. But that's a thread unto itself honestly) nor do I expect any of my party members would likewise consider selling off their rewards (most of them are 'blessings from the gods').

I can get away with being such a non combatant as (like with what I said about how he treats game mechanics) we haven't really been fighting at all and what fights we do get into are woefully under-challenged and usually are just talked through rather then fought through ('talked' as describing attacks and the DM decides if they work or not rather then rolling for it). As it is, all those magical weapons my teammates got probably aren't going to make a difference, but I on the other hand actually would like a reward that does something. :smallannoyed:

Ummm, well...leaving behind most of the mechanics from the game is like playing chess with you own rules. Its not.....chess.
Im not preaching to not use the imagination, a quote of something unexpected is always fun, but maybe you should try suggest him to stick to some of the mechanisms of the game.

going back,
i recommended you to use Custom magical skill boosting items. That will help the Skill Monkey theme.
For an item that DOES something you got wands, staffs, etc.

Here you got a list of a good number of magical items that "do something"
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm
there are lots of funny and pretty usefull ones.
Bag of tricks, Figurines of wondrous power, and as Scarlet said, Decanter of endless water is another one of my favourites, its like a fire hose for riots xD.

If you are not full enought, check this 2 books
-Magic Item Compendium
-Weapons & Arms Equipment (non magical tough)

As I dont know whats the campaing about, i cant recommend any specifical item, but I can give you the options. Sry for that :P

BiblioRook
2011-02-05, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I was hoping for some suggestions on interesting Wondrous Items. I actually started combing through the Magic Item Compendium already but thought I should make the thread anyways to save time and/or in case something nice escapes my notice.

Loki Eremes
2011-02-05, 03:56 AM
Yeah, I was hoping for some suggestions on interesting Wondrous Items. I actually started combing through the Magic Item Compendium already but thought I should make the thread anyways to save time and/or in case something nice escapes my notice.

Problem with this is that you are not specifying or given details of your campaing.

-Are you usually dwelling in dungeons?
-Maybe it envolves investigating problems on different cities most of the time?
-Which are the type of creatures you usually interact with? (i mean the central topic of the campaing, for exaple, undeads, or demons, or just plain humanoids, etc)

Those are some of the details that will help this thread helping you :3

Megaduck
2011-02-05, 05:13 AM
Ummm, well...leaving behind most of the mechanics from the game is like playing chess with you own rules. Its not.....chess.
Im not preaching to not use the imagination, a quote of something unexpected is always fun, but maybe you should try suggest him to stick to some of the mechanisms of the game.

Oh poo. The stuff in the books is really closer to guidelines then hard rules. Saying that everything published is the "Rules" doesn't make the game more pure.

having gone a cleric cleric/rogue route

Ok, fun magic items for a Cleric/Rogue.

Hat of Disguise is a fun one if you're in a diplomacy campaign. It's also fun to amuse your fellow players with what you look like THIS time.

Ring of Telekenisis can be fun for tricks to. Moving stuff without touching stuff and no one else knows.

Ring of Pink Toadyness (Ok, this one was a home brew) This ring turns your character into a bright pink toad about an inch or two across. Surprisingly useful when it comes to sneaking into places.

Wind Fan or Decanter of Endless Water for if you want to play with some elemental effects.

Magic Paintbrush (Another homebrew) Anything you paint with this item comes into existence. Effect takes effect in one round which sets the maximum size. Can only be used to create mundane items which are temporary and hence have no real value. (Note: This one depends a lot on you and your DM agreeing on what is cheese and what is not)

Flying Carpet, pretty self explanatory really.

Amnestic
2011-02-05, 05:29 AM
Monocle of Perusal (ComAdv, pg. 134)- +5 competence bonus to Appraise Checks, 1/Day Identify. Also a monocle.

Stylus of the Masterful Hand (ComAdv, pg. 136)- +5 Competence to Forgery, which is always awesome since Forgery's opposing skill is Forgery :smallamused:

Trinket of Trickery (ComScoundrel, pg. 117)- Lets you use a skill trick you've not actually trained.

Spider Masks (Dragon Compendium Vol 1., pg 141)- Bunch of bonuses, including some skill bonuses.

Just a few wondrous items. Dunno how much use they'll actually be.

Loki Eremes
2011-02-05, 05:35 AM
Oh poo. The stuff in the books is really closer to guidelines then hard rules. Saying that everything published is the "Rules" doesn't make the game more pure.

As this is not part of the topic...

Im not talking about purity.
A Game played pure by imagination is certainly pure.
Im talking about having a well defined environment of established rules so that the players not in control of the world, the PCs, dont get confused later or simply think that their DM is being completely authoritative over their actions and fates.

We all know that gravity pulls us down, that scissors can cut paper, that throwing a rock at someone will hurt him on a certain degree.

The "we roll, he decides" even though its used by DMs from time to time, will turn into a discussion someday if used continuosly.
Like "The other day i rolled a 10 and I jumped over a canyon and now i rolled a 10 and i cant jump between two consecutive roofs?"

Im not telling not to create their own rules or to be imaginative.
Just to set mechanisms that the players will agree beforehand.

y'know what I mean?

Necroticplague
2011-02-05, 06:43 AM
Skin of the Proteus?

Bonecrusher Doc
2011-02-05, 07:07 AM
If you want to buff your knowledge skills, Stronghold Builder's Guide page 25 has book sets (for stocking the library in your stronghold):

1000gp for a book set that provides +2 to a specific knowledge skill
3000 gp for a book set that provides +1 to all knowledge skills
and more for "Comprehensive" or "Master" book sets

Now these of course are meant to stock the shelves of a library, but perhaps a magic item could have them accessible in microfiche form or something like that.

Amnestic
2011-02-05, 07:16 AM
If you want to buff your knowledge skills, Stronghold Builder's Guide page 25 has book sets (for stocking the library in your stronghold):

1000gp for a book set that provides +2 to a specific knowledge skill
3000 gp for a book set that provides +1 to all knowledge skills
and more for "Comprehensive" or "Master" book sets

Now these of course are meant to stock the shelves of a library, but perhaps a magic item could have them accessible in microfiche form or something like that.

Is the book set classed as "magical"? If not, you could try using Scholar's Touch (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=2) to learn everything. Grab a wand of it and cast away. Learn everything the book set has to offer, sell it off and enjoy your permanent bonus to knowledge skills.

Might not work with RAW, but it seems "logical" that it'd work to me :smallredface:

Bonecrusher Doc
2011-02-05, 08:03 AM
I believe the book sets are non-magical.

BiblioRook
2011-02-05, 02:28 PM
Is the book set classed as "magical"? If not, you could try using Scholar's Touch (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=2) to learn everything. Grab a wand of it and cast away. Learn everything the book set has to offer, sell it off and enjoy your permanent bonus to knowledge skills.

Might not work with RAW, but it seems "logical" that it'd work to me :smallredface:

Woah, that spell sounds almost ideal for my character, it's pretty low leveled too so I wish I knew about it before hand because I probably could have gotten a great deal of use out of it. What book is if from?

As for Asking for specifics as to the campaign we are in, I didn't mention it because I didn't think it would matter. If you must know it's a MacGuffen hunting campaign where we are looking for pieces of a 'god-killing' weapon to off a minor god gone crazy. To make it short, we have to deal with cultists and brainwashing/possession alot.

Thing is, I don't think my DM would go with it if I try to get him to give me an item that would specifically tie into stuff we would deal with in the campaign as he's fond of keeping us out of control of the situation. So far all the 'bonus items' have directly related to personal attributes of our characters such as what god's we worship or our role in the part. My case being Oghma, if that helps.

Magical books of nearly any sort would probably work, but I don't really know of any aside from the stat-boosting ones (which he wouldn't agree to).

Skeletor
2011-02-05, 02:32 PM
I can't recall the name of the item I think it's in the magical item compendium or maybe the complete scoundrel. It may be called Rod of Grappling or Rod of Rope. It's like batman's grapple gun on acid.

Aemoh87
2011-02-05, 02:32 PM
Every DM has a style, and your DM needs to ready the DMG.

Because the way he is giving loot is "crap". It hurts alot of characters if they have one big item. Several small items is almost infinitely more useful. He needs some sort of wealth table he is following, and most DM's are kind enough to run it by their players while they are building so they know what kind of resources they will have.

To combat this... become greedy and seek out quests to get you money.

As for your one magic item... +30 UMD.

Amnestic
2011-02-05, 02:38 PM
Woah, that spell sounds almost ideal for my character, it's pretty low leveled too so I wish I knew about it before hand because I probably could have gotten a great deal of use out of it. What book is if from?

Just for you I did a quick google around, and found that it's on page 167 of Races of Destiny. It is a pretty cool spell I must say.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-05, 03:56 PM
Spool of Endless Regenerating 500 Feet of Rope is neat.

As are Portable Holes and Immovable Rods.

Jay R
2011-02-05, 04:38 PM
The generic rogue's overall generic magic item is a Ring of Invisibility. Besides its uses for sneaking, etc., when the party gets in a melee, nobody's targeting you -- as long as you actually do stay out of the fighting.