PDA

View Full Version : Summon Spell Pouch [3.5] (P.E.A.C.H.)

ShriekingDrake
2011-02-05, 10:33 AM
Is there spell that will let a caster summon a spell components pouch? It may be that something like this already exists or that it doesn't exist for good reason. Nonetheless, I was thinking (and am happy to undergo an attitude adjustment) that this could be a handy spell. Perhaps something like this . . .

Summon Spell Pouch
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Brd 2, Clr 2, Drd 2, Pal 2, Rgr 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: One summoned typical spell pouch for the caster
Duration: 24 hours (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This spell summons one typical spell pouch that contains the typical spell components you would use, none of which can be worth more than 1gp. The pouch will appear anywhere on your person (e.g., in your hand, around your waist, in your pack) you desire.

lesser_minion
2011-02-05, 10:44 AM
The spell itself doesn't seem unbalanced -- low-cost material components are mainly present as a half-hearted attempt at humour rather than being some critical balancing factor that must be preserved at all costs.

At the same time, I'm not sure whether or not a spell that almost completely obviates Eschew Materials is really good form.

ShriekingDrake
2011-02-05, 11:23 AM
The spell itself doesn't seem unbalanced -- low-cost material components are mainly present as a half-hearted attempt at humour rather than being some critical balancing factor that must be preserved at all costs.

At the same time, I'm not sure whether or not a spell that almost completely obviates Eschew Materials is really good form.

I had thought about the Eschew Materials issue as well and I'm glad you raised it. I think this is a concern. Originally, I had thought I'd make the spell casting time "1 round" like summon musical instrument. But I thought that that was too fast because it would completely obviate Eschew Materials. So, I went for a 10 minute casting time so that a player would not be able to immediately react to a lost spell pouch. Perhaps that's not enough. Suppose we reduced the duration of the pouch to be 1 hour, rather than 24; would that do the trick?

lesser_minion
2011-02-05, 11:31 AM
I had thought about the Eschew Materials issue as well and I'm glad you raised it. I think this is a concern. Originally, I had thought I'd make the spell casting time "1 round" like summon musical instrument. But I thought that that was too fast because it would completely obviate Eschew Materials. So, I went for a 10 minute casting time so that a player would not be able to immediately react to a lost spell pouch. Perhaps that's not enough. Suppose we reduced the duration of the pouch to be 1 hour, rather than 24; would that do the trick?

Actually, I missed the 10 minute casting time when I read the spell. With that in place, I don't think it's likely to be a problem -- eschew materials is not a particularly strong feat anyway, because material components rarely come up in play.

ShriekingDrake
2011-02-05, 11:36 AM
Actually, I missed the 10 minute casting time when I read the spell. With that in place, I don't think it's likely to be a problem -- eschew materials is not a particularly strong feat anyway, because material components rarely come up in play.

Fair enough. So, until I hear other concerns, I may just leave this as it is.