PDA

View Full Version : bag of gentle repose

Seth62
2011-02-05, 12:27 PM
can you change the description of all ready created magic items to change the material or add enchantments. Like adding gentle repose to a Bag of holding or adding haste to banded mail of luck (dmg p220)?????????? :smallconfused:

Chilingsworth
2011-02-05, 12:44 PM
As far as I know, you can't change the material of an already existant item of any kind.

I was under the impression that Bags of Holding already perfom a de facto gentle repose effect for any object put into them. (Living creatures would run of air, but otherwise anything that's put into one comes out in the exact condition it was put in.)

I Don't know the rules for adding non-flatrate abilities to specific magic items. I'd like to know this as well, especially if a source can be cited.

ericgrau
2011-02-05, 01:32 PM
Nope bags of holding don't preserve what's in them. Using the magic item creation guidelines a bag of gentle repose would be 3 x 2 x 2000 / 2 x 2 = 12,000 gp. Adding it to a bag of holding would be the same price IMO b/c they're somewhat related. If we treat them as unrelated you increase by 50%.

But given that an unguent of timelessness is only 150 gp, has 8 doses and lasts for years I think the above isn't really fair. Probably something more like 1,000 gp would be fair, 2,000 gp tops .

Psyren
2011-02-05, 02:46 PM
You can also (if a psion is available) fill your bag with Quintessence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm) and toss the body in; the sludge will stop the passage of time for it.

Seth62
2011-02-08, 09:09 AM
so it's only possible if I make the Item?

Callista
2011-02-08, 09:17 AM
You could likely commission it if you found someone with the requisite feats and spells.

If you're in the regular D&D setting, a church of Wee Jas might be willing to sell you something like that--they are LN (you don't want to be dealing with Vecna cultists) but deal with both death and magic regularly. Preserving bodies, creating magic items, and conducting funerals is right up their alley.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-08, 09:55 AM
(you don't want to be dealing with Vecna cultists)

Why NOT? I mean, sure, "absolute power corrupts absolutely," but you still have absolute power. :smalltongue:

Callista
2011-02-08, 10:07 AM
Tell me that when you've been beheaded and turned into a zombie for your trouble...

LibraryOgre
2011-02-08, 11:34 AM
can you change the description of all ready created magic items to change the material or add enchantments. Like adding gentle repose to a Bag of holding or adding haste to banded mail of luck (dmg p220)?????????? :smallconfused:

You can add enchantments to existing magical items, provided you have the power to add the enchantments in the first place, under the "nothing really forbids it" rule.

Personally, however, if I were making a "bag of gentle repose", I'd make it a cloak slot item for the corpse, to cut down on cost. ;-)

Psyren
2011-02-08, 01:09 PM
Personally, however, if I were making a "bag of gentle repose", I'd make it a cloak slot item for the corpse, to cut down on cost. ;-)

Well, I think the idea is not just to preserve the body for expedited raising, but to make it (and its equipment) easier to carry as well.

LibraryOgre
2011-02-09, 12:51 PM
Well, I think the idea is not just to preserve the body for expedited raising, but to make it (and its equipment) easier to carry as well.

Certainly, but my making it a cloak-slot item (with two effects... the Gentle Repose and the Bag of Holding), you get around the slotless item cost multiplier. ;-)

Callista
2011-02-09, 12:55 PM
Except that a dead body is an object and can't use magic items.

What's wrong with one of those holy symbols you can store a corpse in?

Tyndmyr
2011-02-09, 12:59 PM
Nope bags of holding don't preserve what's in them.

You can establish that this is true due to what happens when a creature inside runs out of air. Bing, they come out in a different condition from when they went in.

My party discovered this unfortunate fact after rescuing a litter of kobold babies, then forgetting about them until they emptied the sack a month later.

Seth62
2011-02-10, 09:22 AM
the poor baby's!!!.

Thanks all I am just going to a wizard and ask her to make it as a custom order, or the church of Wee Jas. The main reason 4 this bag is to store and then later animate dead party members when we have money for a true resurrection. That or just have random corpses for animate dead and create undead.

I also want to know if u can remove an enchantment, because I have +2 half plate with spear block (+2) but I do not want the spear block any more can I trade it for different +2 enchantment or just remove it all together?

Halae
2011-02-10, 09:29 AM
Wait a moment!

The enchantment you are looking for is one an item called Angriz's Chest, from races of the dragon. it won't give you a pocket dimension to play with, but IIRC nothing rots inside it. If you have a big strong guy, just get them to carry the chest around, maybe drop it during combat