PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a D&D 3.5 character?

117derek
2011-02-07, 03:53 PM
Somebody please help me!

Chilingsworth
2011-02-07, 03:56 PM
Umm... Some background might help?

Which addition are you playing?
Which sourcebooks do you have available (or are you Core Only?)
What do you want your character to do?
What exactly are you having trouble with?

EDIT: Just reread the your thread title. So, you seem to know which addition you're playing, at least. Good first step! :smallcool:

117derek
2011-02-07, 03:58 PM
I will answer these in order.
I have no idea
I have no idea
I have no idea
I have no idea how to make a character

Darwin
2011-02-07, 03:59 PM
I will answer these in order.
I have no idea
I have no idea
I have no idea
I have no idea how to make a character

In that case, there's no way to help you. Talk to your DM and get back to us once you have the answers. In fact, just talk to your DM, he should be able to provide you with any information you'll need, and likely he'll walk you through the character creation process.

117derek
2011-02-07, 04:02 PM
You mean my dm on this site or my dm in real life?

gbprime
2011-02-07, 04:05 PM
You mean my dm on this site or my dm in real life?

Well... yes and yes. If you're creating a character for online play, then your DM there should be helping you. (Unless they don't want inexperienced players, in which case they should say so.) And in either case, a DM will have a list of do's, don'ts, and house rules for you to keep in mind.

117derek
2011-02-07, 04:06 PM
Well... yes and yes. If you're creating a character for online play, then your DM there should be helping you. (Unless they don't want inexperienced players, in which case they should say so.) And in either case, a DM will have a list of do's, don'ts, and house rules for you to keep in mind.

I don't have a dm here...

Zach J.
2011-02-07, 04:11 PM
You should probably talk to your real-life DM then. I'm sure they would be happy to help you.

Scorpions__
2011-02-07, 04:11 PM

You got to lay out the situation better for us, we have no idea what kind of help you need.

Do you have a group to play with?

Please, explain the problem so we can help you.

DM[F]R

Telonius
2011-02-07, 04:13 PM
First of all, you have to have an idea of something you want to play. Do you want to be able to cast spells? Be a master swordsman? Call down divine magic? Be more of a sneaky type that solves problems with quick wits?

After you decide that, you'll need a Players' Handbook and a character sheet. Most of the stuff in the Players' Handbook is on the d20srd here (http://www.d20srd.org/), but there are some extremely important exceptions (like amount of XP needed to get to the next level, etc) that aren't included. (This is the stuff that Wizards of the Coast declared proprietary, and it's illegal to post it). There are several free character sheet designs floating around the internet; Google will help. The print version of the Players' Handbook also has one in the very back.

To fill out the character sheet, you'll first need to generate your ability scores. There are several methods of doing this; check with your DM to find out which one you'll be using. Most involve either rolling dice, or distributing numbers based on a "point buy." Higher is better. 10 is average, 18 is fantastic, and you usually can't go below 3.

You'll want to distribute the ability scores based on what you want to do. To figure out your needs, pick a class that will help you do what you want your character to be able to do. Arcane magic users will usually need high Intelligence (or Charisma, if you're a Sorcerer). Divine casters usually need high Wisdom. Fighters need high Strength. Sneaky-types usually need Dexterity. Everybody needs Constitution.

After you've distributed your ability scores, check the Players' Handbook to see the "Base Attack Bonus" for your class, as well as "Saves" and "skill points." Fill in the numbers on the character sheet based on your ability scores as well as the relevant ability score.

EDIT: Almost forgot - you also need to pick your race (race as in Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, or Human). Each race has benefits and drawbacks. Humans, Gnomes, and Dwarves are generally agreed to be on the powerful side; Half-Elves are on the less-powerful side. Each race will also affect some places on the character sheet; the race's description will tell you what needs to change.

Next, you need to pick your Feats. There's a big list of them in the Players' Handbook. If you're a Human, you get two; otherwise you get one. Fighters will want Power Attack; spellcasters will usually want either a Metamagic Feat or Skill Focus (Concentration). Rogue-types will usually do best with Improved Initiative.

Finally, purchase your equipment. The Players' Handbook gives statistics for each class's starting gold. It also has a big list of possible equipment, along with prices. You'll usually want (at minimum) a weapon, a piece of armor, some trail rations, and a waterskin. Spellcasters will need a component pouch or a Holy Symbol. Pick whatever other equipment you think might be useful.

The weapons you've chosen will affect your attack bonus (which determines how often you're likely to hit) and damage roll (which is how badly you hurt enemies when you hit them). The armor you've chosen will affect your Armor Class (AC), which is how hard it is for enemies to hit you. Fill in this information on your character sheet.

Those are the basics. Hope it helped!

Ravens_cry
2011-02-07, 04:15 PM
Well, ask the DM you have, where you have them. Character building when your a newbie is tough. I still grit my teeth and hate making characters. OK, I don't hate it, but its not the main focus for me and is still like pulling hens teeth. It took me over 2 days to make my first 3.5 character, never even got to play her, a 1st level half orc sorceress.
So please, go talk to your DM, whoever and wherever they are. They are hopefully more experienced then you and can give you some help.

117derek
2011-02-07, 04:16 PM
I have a DM, and I have the game, but I'm a kid and my parents are divorced, so I can only go over there on weekends, and the dm is actually my step dad, and I'm not really experienced because for some reason it takes 4 months to get a campaign ready.

Comet
2011-02-07, 04:20 PM
I'd recommend you to be patient and eventually sit down to make the character together with your DM so that he can take you through it step by step. Much easier and probably more fun, too.

117derek
2011-02-07, 04:22 PM
And I need to go t basketball practice in a few minutes, so you don't have to respond quickly.

Anxe
2011-02-07, 05:25 PM
The best way would be to buy the D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook and simply follow the instructions it gives you.

Analytica
2011-02-07, 06:37 PM
Think of characters from books and movies that somehow inspire you. Then try to merge those concepts, or pick pieces from several concepts, so what you end up with is inspired by existing characters but not a direct clone of them. Make up how the character looks, speaks, and feels in some different situations, and get a rough idea of what kind of things the character is capable of doing, as well as things they are bad at.

Once you got that, look at options in the d20 SRD (google it) or the player's handbook, pick race, class and the like, to see how you could most closely approximate the character you are thinking of. Then show it to the DM and ask if it works or if they feel something should be changed. :smallsmile:

Starbuck_II
2011-02-07, 06:43 PM
I have a DM, and I have the game, but I'm a kid and my parents are divorced, so I can only go over there on weekends, and the dm is actually my step dad, and I'm not really experienced because for some reason it takes 4 months to get a campaign ready.

Let us pretend we making something simple like a level 1 Barbarian.
First roll your dice: standard is 4 dice with 6 sides. Roll them, take highest 3 dice rolls: example 4, 5, 3, 5. Highest of these are 5, 5, 4, discard the 3.
Repeat this 5 more times.
Place these numbers on the paper corresponding to stat you choose they belong.
Str, Dex, Con, Int, wis, and cha.
Strength is how strong/melee damage
Dex: quickness/dodging/reflex save
Con: Hp/durability, Fort save
Int: smartness, skill points
Wis: Wiseness/perception
Cha: Varies (it is a mixture of looks/ability to persuade/initimidate/bluff)

A big tough guy that can kicks butt in Core/SRD.
http://www.d20srd.org/

Classes found here:
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/classes.htm
Click Barbarian.
As you see on the chart on the right: you have three main class features.
Rage, fast movement, illiterate (you can't read).
Note:
You can choose to keep illiteracy or spend, at any level, 2 of your skill points to remove it.

-Fast movement means when not in heavy armor you move 10 feet faster.
Since Barbarians don't heavy, this shouldn't be a issue.
-Rage is 1/day (at first) it increases your Str/Con (any increase in con raise hp temporarily, they go away after increase gone). But lowers your armor class by 2. Also raises your will saves by 2.
Makes you stronger/tougher warrior but at cost of your defense.

You are proficent in any simple/martial weapon. And light/meduim armor + shields (not tower shield).

You have skill points of 4 + int modifier (x4 at 1st level) to put i any class or non-class skill. The class skills are listed on the page.
Skills are improvement/ability to swim, jump, climb, balance (not a class skill), ride, or listen. Basically if you want to be good at a task, this matter.

You'll need to get a weapon/armor/backpack with adventuring stuff, but this is a good start. If you finished making a practice character, I'll post how to get/pay for gear if you are uncertain.

SRD does have most of Player's handbook information. So you can just read that.

mootoall
2011-02-07, 06:47 PM
The first thing you need to keep in mind is that 3.5 character creation is *hard.* It takes a long time when you start, and you have so many choices, even out of Core only, that it can get very confusing.

So, I'd start by going to the following: http://www.d20srd.org and clicking the links, in order. That's how I learned!

Thurbane
2011-02-07, 08:09 PM
Somebody please help me!

Read the first few chapters of the PHB. Seriously. If you don't have a copy, read through the first few parts of the SRD.
Have a fiddle with this: http://www.pathguy.com/cg35lite.htm
If you want detailed help, you are going to have to give us a LOT more background info to go on.

117derek
2011-02-08, 07:46 PM
Read the first few chapters of the PHB. Seriously. If you don't have a copy, read through the first few parts of the SRD.
Have a fiddle with this: http://www.pathguy.com/cg35lite.htm
If you want detailed help, you are going to have to give us a LOT more background info to go on.

Is this good?

Cador
Male Human Paladin 1
Lawful Good

Strength 16 (+3)
Dexterity 10 (+0)
Constitution 16 (+3)
Intelligence 8 (-1)
Wisdom 13 (+1)
Charisma 13 (+1)

Size: Medium
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 220 lb
Eyes: Dark Brown
Hair: Dark Brown
Skin: Light

Total Hit Points: 13

Speed: 20 feet

Armor Class: 15 = 10 + 5 [chainmail]

Touch AC: 10
Flat-footed: 15

Initiative modifier: + 0 = + 0 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: + 7 = 2 [base] + 3 [constitution] + 2 [great fortitude]
Reflex save: + 0 = 0 [base]
Will save: + 1 = 0 [base] + 1 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld): + 4 = 1 [base] + 3 [strength]
Attack (missile): + 1 = 1 [base]
Grapple check: + 4 = 1 [base] + 3 [strength]

Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:
76 lb. or less
77-153 lb.
154-230 lb.
230 lb.
460 lb.
1150 lb.

Languages: Common

Longsword [1d8, crit 19-20/x2 4 lb, one-handed, slashing]

Chain mail [medium; + 5 AC; max dex + 2; check penalty -5; 40 lb.]

Feats:

Weapon Focus (Longsword)
Improved Initiative

Skill Name

Key
Ability

Skill
Modifier

Ability
Modifier

Ranks

Misc.
Modifier
Appraise Int -1 =

Balance Dex* 0.5 =
+0
+ 0.5
Bluff Cha 1 =
+1

Climb Str* 4 =
+3
+ 1
Concentration Con 5 =
+3
+ 2
Craft_1 Int -1 =

Craft_2 Int -1 =

Craft_3 Int -1 =

Diplomacy Cha 1 =
+1

Disguise Cha 1 =
+1

Escape Artist Dex* 0 =
+0

Forgery Int -1 =

Gather Information Cha 1 =
+1

Heal Wis 2 =
+1
+ 1
Hide Dex* 0 =
+0

Intimidate Cha 1 =
+1

Jump Str* -2.5 =
+3
+ 0.5 -6 [speed 20]
Listen Wis 1 =
+1

Move Silently Dex* 0 =
+0

Perform_1 Cha 1 =
+1

Perform_2 Cha 1 =
+1

Perform_3 Cha 1 =
+1

Perform_4 Cha 1 =
+1

Perform_5 Cha 1 =
+1

Ride Dex 0 =
+0

Search Int -1 =

Sense Motive Wis 1 =
+1

Spot Wis 1 =
+1

Survival Wis 2 =
+1
+ 1
Swim Str** 3 =
+3

Use Rope Dex 0 =
+0

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Human

* Extra feat at first level (already included)
* Four extra skill points at first level (already included)
* One extra skill point at each additional level (already included)

Paladin

* Aura of Good

* Detect Evil

* Smite Evil (1x/day; add +1 to melee attack roll, paladin levels to damage)

* Divine Grace (level 2)

* Lay on Hands (level 2)

* Divine Health (level 3)

* Turn Undead (level 4)

* Special Mount (level 5)

* Remove Disease (level 6)

* Code of Conduct / Association

* High wisdom gains bonus spells daily

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Paladin 10

Cador's Equipment:

44 lb
2 lb
5 lb
9 lb

2 lb
60 lb
3 lb

4 lb
1 lb
2 lb

2 lb
3 lb
10 lb
1 lb
20 lb
_____
168 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
Backpack
Bedroll
Blanket, winter x3
Bottle
Chain (10 feet) x1
Firewood (1 day) x3
Flasks x2
Flint and steel
Grappling hook
Lamp (common)
Oil flasks x2
Paper sheets x1
Parchment sheets x2
Pouch x3
Rations (1 day) x3
Rope (50', hempen) x1
Sacks x1
Tent

Total

There I fixed the feats, and the spoiler thing

Keld Denar
2011-02-08, 07:59 PM
Mechanically, it looks good. You could do with a little more Cha and possibly a little less Wis (you can always get items to help with Wis later), but perfectly playable.

For your feats, you might want to change them up a little. Run is kinda not so good, and your Fort save will be good enough. For simplicity's sake, I'd suggest Weapon Focus (Long Sword) and probably Improved Initiative instead.

Good job. Now you just need to give him a name and a personality.

I'm sure your step-dad will help you out with the details of all that when you actually play the game.

slaydemons
2011-02-08, 08:17 PM
I think thats fine but next time to reduce size use the spoil button and put your character inbetween the two. But again like keld, you need a bit more charisma to me those are more kick in the door imma going to kill things - fighter imo

Barbin
2011-02-08, 08:29 PM
You're off to a good start. You remind me of myself four years ago... So young and naive, barely any idea how to play, but I had saved up so many weeks for those books, I had to go on!

Chilingsworth
2011-02-08, 08:44 PM
Looks like you've made your first character!

Congratulations! :smallbiggrin: