PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Alchemical ... Sun?

Fenryr
2011-02-08, 05:40 PM
Hello! Is there a substance or alchemical item to emulate the Sun AND harm/kill a vampire? The closest I could find is Liquid Sunlight from Complete Scoundrel but it's only a d6.

Also, if there's not a such item, is possible to stack the Liquid Sunlight? Put a lot of 'em in a chest and when the vampire opens the chest, it sprungs like trap! And if that's possible, what effects would that have on the vampire? Several d6 damage or what?

Kansaschaser
2011-02-08, 05:48 PM
Well, there is not an alchemical item that's any better than that, but there is a spell from the Book of Exalted Deeds called Celestial Brilliance.

It sheds light in a 60ft radius and dim illumination for another 60ft. Every undead within the first 60 feet takes damage every round. Evil outsider(or undead, I can't remember which) take additional damage.

Some DM's I've seen rule that no matter how many of these spells I cast, the undead take damage only once a round. While some DM's have ruled that if I have multiple spell effects up, then the undead take damage from each spell.

I normally carry around about 12-15 stones that I cast celestial brilliance on. I keep them in my hewards handy haversack. When I encounter undead, I just take them out and chuck them all over the battlefield.

Fenryr
2011-02-08, 06:27 PM
Why, thank you.

The light created by the spell would not kill the vampire, right? Also, the spell says that those vulnerable to the sunlight, have twice the penalty. So the vampire can only take partial actions for two rounds?

Wanted to do this stuff without spells, like a scoundrel, but looks not possible. Thanks again!

stabbitty death
2011-02-08, 06:31 PM
unleash the power of the sun!!!!!!!!!!
sry couldn't resist:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Asgardian
2011-02-08, 06:32 PM
Nothing alchemical i could find but there is the Globe of sunlight from the MIC
It actls like the Sunburst spell so it should do ...12D6 against a vampire?

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-08, 07:00 PM
Well the sun itself is probably a spellcraft ∞ epic spell. I can't think of a single spell, item, or effect that can kill a creature, let alone a vampire, in one round with no save.

Fenryr
2011-02-08, 08:28 PM

Awesome. Thanks a lot and thanks everyone else. Cheers!

Darrin
2011-02-08, 11:11 PM
Hello! Is there a substance or alchemical item to emulate the Sun AND harm/kill a vampire?

Well, there's an "Alchemical Sun Flash" in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (p. 208). It works like alchemist's fire, except it also has a 10' burst of bright light that may affect some creatures that are sensitive to sunlight. Vampires, for example, are staggered for one round (no save). Presumably, if you had enough of these alchemical items to keep flashing the vampire, you might be able to immobilize him long enough to drag him into sunlight.

ericgrau
2011-02-08, 11:45 PM
Well the sun itself is probably a spellcraft ∞ epic spell. I can't think of a single spell, item, or effect that can kill a creature, let alone a vampire, in one round with no save.

"Let alone" doesn't seem to fit here. It's a vampire, it's made to be very hard to kill except for some very easy weaknesses. Hire a dozen strong commoners with decanters of endless water. Point at vampire. Maintain fire as the vampire tries to escape in gaseous form (fly speed is only 10 feet). Vampire dead in 3 rounds from running water from the local firemen's brigade plus adventurer support.

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-09, 12:21 AM
"Let alone" doesn't seem to fit here. It's a vampire, it's made to be very hard to kill except for some very easy weaknesses. Hire a dozen strong commoners with decanters of endless water. Point at vampire. Maintain fire as the vampire tries to escape in gaseous form (fly speed is only 10 feet). Vampire dead in 3 rounds from running water from the local firemen's brigade plus adventurer support.

That depends on your definition of running water. To most DMs, (Myself included) Running water refers to a creek, river, or stream. You're thinking about RIFTS vampires.

And even if that did work, as long as it's within 9 miles of its coffin, it'll live.

ericgrau
2011-02-09, 12:55 AM
That's listed specifically as a method of slaying a vampire. Though ok maybe you need a river instead of a portable geyser. Or you stake it and then go through the right motions. Sunlight is a 3rd. Besides that it's fairly easy to repel them. So if you and your party are carrying around the right kit of items you can defeat vampires pretty easily. If not they get frustrating and hard to get rid of.

senrath
2011-02-09, 01:35 AM

Actually, against a vampire it's a SoD, Reflex DC 22, 15d6/2 damage on a save. Still, it's 6,000 gp for a single use item.