PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Project (also: whatever happened to Iron Author?)

BobTheFerret
2011-02-08, 08:29 PM
Well, first, I'm doing a project based on 1984, by George Orwell, for school... hopefully I have the time to do it as a video game, less hopefully I'd like to at least use this art.

This is the first thing I've done so far (the only thing I've digitized, but I have others on dead tree), it's supposed to be Winston Smith's bedroom. It's somewhat flattened and tinier than in the book, because the theoretical game would be platformer-style and therefore have no Z-axis.
http://brink.ax.lt/apartment-col-s.png
Any comments? How well do you think it captures the environment? Does it need more texture?

Unrelated question, jammed into this post so that I don't have to unleash a flurry of them onto the poor, unsuspecting forum: does anyone know where Iron Author went? I last really paid attention on here a few years back, and along with Iron Avatarist and Iron Poet, there was an Iron Author contest for short story writing. I participated in one of them. Now I'm back, but Iron Author is not. What gives? :smallfrown:

KillItWithFire
2011-02-08, 10:11 PM
Looks properly constricting. Isn't he supposed to have a place to write in the diary though? I like the telescreen being a huge presence in the room I think that's cool.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-02-09, 06:00 AM
Just kinda died out, not enough animo I suppose. Since there were only around 5-10 regular writers, if that, and on a forum this big...

Also reading all the stories took way longer to judge then say looking at all the shiny pics like with Iron Avatarist.

BobTheFerret
2011-02-15, 07:30 PM
http://brink.ax.lt/VictorySquare.png
Here's another one. It's been taking way longer than I expected, and it's still not done, hence the awkward crop. Basically, it's a plaza in London, neither based on a real plaza nor specifically mentioned in the book, facing onto the Ministry of Truth. A couple scenes will end up there, I think. I'll probably post a more finished version on here later. Any comments, then?

It's a shame that Iron Author had to go that way, I guess... Do you think there'd be interest in restarting it? (How would you go about restarting a contest like that, anyways?)

leakingpen
2011-02-16, 02:24 AM
art looks good so far. as far as iron author, it was put in room 101.

restart it? make a thread, post the rules, see who replies.