PDA

View Full Version : What's with the White Raven?

Dante & Vergil
2011-02-10, 09:06 PM
It's the discipline that suppose to use a lot of team tactics, which it does do, but the strikes are focused on team tactics that target one enemy. Does any else feel this is a little strange? I was expecting the strikes to do other things as well before I actually read it.

Zaq
2011-02-10, 09:08 PM
That's kinda the point. You forge order from chaos (yuk yuk) and skillfully direct your team to focus fire and destroy the target.

What were you expecting, exactly?

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-10, 09:08 PM
It's the discipline that suppose to use a lot of team tactics, which it does do, but the strikes are focused on team tactics that target one enemy. Does any else feel this is a little strange? I was expecting the strikes to do other things as well before I actually read it.

Coordinated attacks! Better to kill one than hurt many!

I don't know what I'm talking about >.>

grarrrg
2011-02-10, 09:54 PM
Coordinated attacks! Better to kill one than hurt many!

I don't know what I'm talking about >.>

You are actually quite correct.
WARNING! Oversimplified example ahead!
Suppose you are fighting 20 orcs with 20 hp each. Each orc can do 1 damage per round.
You're options are
A: Do 1 damage to every orc each round.
B: Do 20 damage to 1 orc each round.

Both options do 20 damage per round.
The difference is that in A none of the orcs die until round 20, 20 orcs times 20 rounds = 400 damage.
In B 1 orc dies each round. First round they do 20, second round they do 19, third.... Final damage done is 210.

Option B "Focused Assault" wins.

Even if option A did TWICE the damage, 2 damage to every orc each round, than the total damage taken from A would be 200, which is barely better than the 210 taken from B.

tbarrie
2011-02-11, 01:58 AM
You are actually quite correct.
WARNING! Oversimplified example ahead!
Suppose you are fighting 20 orcs with 30 hp each. Each orc can do 1 damage per round.
[Your] options are
A: Do 1 damage to every orc each round.
B: Do 20 damage to 1 orc each round.

Both options do 20 damage per round.
The difference is that in A none of the orcs die until round 20, 20 orcs times 20 rounds = 400 damage.
In B 1 orc dies each round. First round they do 20, second round they do 19, thrid.... Final damage done is 210.

No, in B one orc dies every second round. Which means you take 420 damage, making A slightly better. And demonstrating that the better option will vary based on the exact numbers involved.

Dante & Vergil
2011-02-11, 02:17 AM
I was honestly expecting just buffing allies (which it does sometimes), everyone targeting different guys, but have the option to target the same guy, also.

Zaydos
2011-02-11, 02:22 AM
No, in B one orc dies every second round. Which means you take 420 damage, making A slightly better. And demonstrating that which is better will vary based on the exact numbers involved.

Not the only piece of advice he did wrong. You don't kill the orcs till turn 30 with choice A and therefore take 600 damage.

Now if they only had 15 hp you'd take 300 to 210 damage. 10 hp 200 to 210.

It is not universal, but the vast majority of the time how D&D works focused fire is better than spreading out the damage.

grarrrg
2011-02-11, 03:20 AM
*words*

*words*

Actually, both of you were wrong about what the mistake was.
Fixed to 20 hp now, which is what all the 'math stuff' was based on.

Concentrated Fire is usually the best option.