PDA

View Full Version : Random spell question [3.5]

KingoftheTrees
2011-02-12, 08:07 PM
There's a spell from the Book of Exalted Deeds called Celestial Brilliance. It's a Light spell that deals damage to undead and evil outsiders inside the range of the bright illumination each round (it lasts 1 day per level ). I was wondering if multiple castings of this spell would stack (I.e. would each spell do damage by itself). It's not an "instantaneous" effect so I wasn't sure if this would make the difference.

Psyren
2011-02-12, 08:24 PM
While you could light up multiple objects with this and have each one able to separately burn undead, I don't think overlapping the areas of light would increase the damage per round. Is that what you meant by "stacking?"

Waker
2011-02-12, 08:27 PM
I could dig around for an official ruling, but it would seem redundant. Were this true, any area spell with duration (acid fog for example) would be stackable. I'll just say that were I the DM, it wouldn't work.

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-12, 08:37 PM
I'm pretty sure they do in fact stack.

That's pretty ridiculous though. I'd recommend against exploiting it.

KingoftheTrees
2011-02-12, 08:43 PM
That is what I meant by "stacking" sorry. So, would multiple Cloudkills or Incendiary Clouds not do damage every round?

Ernir
2011-02-12, 09:01 PM
This isn't made very explicit in the spell stacking rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#stackingEffects). But I'd be inclined to put this under "Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths" - roll for damage twice, apply the better result.

It might be lumped under "Instantaneous Effects", but that section explicitly deals with spells with an instantaneous duration, rather than spells with a non-instantaneous duration which have instantaneous effects.

faceroll
2011-02-12, 09:41 PM
What about multiple castings of power word pain?