PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) 4e City Tile box and Monster Vault worthwhile?

Ozreth
2011-02-13, 02:01 AM
I play 3.5 but the bookstore I works at sells 4e products, and as I get a pretty good discount I was thinking about picking some things up. The monster vault interested me because it would really help when I don't have certain mini's lying around instead of having to drop a bottle cap on the table. But how many monster tokens does it come with? I wouldn't have a need for anything else in the box.

And the City Tiles look nice. I could reuse tables/doors/whatever. Can I build an inn with it? Do the buildings have roofs or can I see in?

MeeposFire
2011-02-13, 02:14 AM
Hard to say. I think it comes with 4 sheets of tokens (or was that the DM kit?) but that will not tell us much.

Shatteredtower
2011-02-13, 07:31 AM
After punching the tokens out, I've enough small/medium ones to fill about a cup and a half, with between 5-13 each of orcs, goblins, kobolds, skeletons, zombies, humans, elves, eladrin, hobgoblins, drakes, and vampires, 4 each of stirges, dwarves, drow, and a few others that slip my mind, pairs of wolves, halflings, and gnomes, four minion tokens and three for swarms. I don't recall how many spiders, hyena, medusae, or gnolls were included, but I'm pretty sure there's only one lich and one mind flayer. The large tokens, including a lot of ogres and giants, but only one horse, fill a slightly larger container, and you'll need another one for the huge set, including large-to-huge conversion rings that never quite fit. Even if it doesn't have exactly what you need (even with several types I omitted), it's usually got good approximations in abundant supply.

While I like the tile sets, I tend to buy 2-4 of each, just to get multiples of certain tiles I find useful.

Ozreth
2011-02-13, 03:33 PM
Sounds great, I think I'll at least get the monster vault. Thanks : )

RebelRogue
2011-02-13, 03:43 PM
There's a lot of tokens in the Monster Vault. And should you ever happen to DM a 4e campaign again, the book is sweet too. The included adventure, Cairn of the Winter King, looks pretty cool (pun intended, I guess :smallbiggrin:) and I guess you could convert that without too much trouble if you wanted to.

Ozreth
2011-02-13, 03:49 PM
There's a lot of tokens in the Monster Vault. And should you ever happen to DM a 4e campaign again, the book is sweet too. The included adventure, Cairn of the Winter King, looks pretty cool (pun intended, I guess :smallbiggrin:) and I guess you could convert that without too much trouble if you wanted to.

I wouldn't be opposed to running it again, I've kept most of my 4e stuff so yeah that could come in handy. Thanks : )

kyoryu
2011-02-13, 06:26 PM
Since I just got it last night, and my tokens are unpunched....

It has 10 sheets of tokens. The tokens are nice, heavyweight cardboard, looking about 1/8" thick or so. Maybe a little less, but they're not lightweight posterboard or anything like that. They're double-sided, with the offside being a bloodied variation of the former.

5 of the sheets have 35 regular size, and 6 large (2X2) tokens each - the tokens make pretty efficient use of the sheet space. The other 5 have 3 huge (3X3) creatures, 6 large, and 17 regular tokens each. Some of the huge creatures include a ring which a large creature snaps inside to turn it into a huge one. Any non-unique creature token has a number to differentiate them.

If you need tokens, it's a great set to start with.

It also includes a double-sided, 2"X3" (approx) poster-style map, with a dungeon on one side and a tribal-type village on the other, as well as a 4E adventure and the 4E monster stats for all of the tokens.

I'm pretty impressed with it, especially for $30. The sheets of tokens are great, and it's obvious they took the time to find as much room as possible to put in as many tokens as they could - there's very little wasted space, even when they could have clearly gotten away with it.