PDA

View Full Version : How much is this item worth?

Pigkappa
2011-02-13, 03:57 PM
In a D&D 3.5 campaign, I gave this item the PCs. I don't think they are going to sell it, but it would still be a good idea to figure out how much this should be worth (and possibly which spells and CL are required to make it).

Luck's necklace
Once per day, a character wearing this necklace can activate it as an immediate action to receive a +2 Luck bonus on the next roll (attack roll, saving throw, skill check, whatever).

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-02-13, 04:30 PM
In a D&D 3.5 campaign, I gave this item the PCs. I don't think they are going to sell it, but it would still be a good idea to figure out how much this should be worth (and possibly which spells and CL are required to make it).

Luck's necklace
Once per day, a character wearing this necklace can activate it as an immediate action to receive a +2 Luck bonus on the next roll (attack roll, saving throw, skill check, whatever).

Neat item. I'd word the rolls like:

"attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check"

Also, explicitly note that you must use it before rolling.

For comparison, the Pale Green Prism ioun stone grants a +1 competence bonus continuously for 30,000 gp. Very expensive because it's always on and slotless, but this item's nowhere near as powerful.

I'd peg it between 1,500 and 2,000 gp because of its versatility, a PC will be using it everyday, but it's not quite as useful as a +1 weapon. It's best to err towards expensive, so 2,000 gp. I can't think of any low-level spell that does this, but you could probably write your own.

Glimbur
2011-02-13, 09:43 PM
That cost seems decent... remember that an immediate action costs your swift action next turn which is significant.

ericgrau
2011-02-14, 12:13 AM
It's in the same ballpark as a quickened divine favor 1/day (16.2k). +2 instead of +3 AB & dmg, but works on more things and is immediate instead of swift. Bear in mind that a continuous item would be around 30,000 x 2 x 2 = 120,000 (or 60,000 for slotted). It doesn't seem that strong right now because the characters are all low level, but around level 17 it'll still be a useful ability. It's also sneaky because luck bonuses stack with almost everything. If it were a +2 enhancement bonus it'd be equally useful at low levels yet it wouldn't cost nearly as much. I'd peg it at around 6k-12k as a guess.

Zaydos
2011-02-14, 12:19 AM
I'm going to have to agree that it's around 2000 GP, maybe as much as 3000 GP.

Temotei
2011-02-14, 12:27 AM
Consider: Divine favor (CL 6th) - Use-activated - 1 charge per day - (1*6*2,000)/5 = 2,400 gp.

Divine favor (CL 6th) - Command word - 1 charge per day - (1*6*1800)/5 = 2,160 gp.

Since this is more versatile, and yet taking up an inventory slot, I'd say it's worth between 2,500 and 3,000 gp.

ericgrau
2011-02-14, 12:33 AM
Divine favor is a standard not an immediate and I have the swift 1/day pricing above... lasts longer tho.

Temotei
2011-02-14, 12:40 AM
Divine favor is a standard not an immediate and I have the swift 1/day pricing above... lasts longer tho.

In most situations, that duration will carry the spell through to the same conclusion as this item. It doesn't waste an action in combat--it uses one up beforehand. In terms of actions, it depends on the situation. Since it does, the values can be compared on fairly even terms.

ericgrau
2011-02-14, 12:42 AM
You only get so many buffing rounds, sometimes 0, rarely more than 1 or 2. In fact divine favor is likely to be 5th priority until quickened and stacked with other things.

Regardless I wouldn't be worried about it overpowering the game because of all the slot & etc. restrictions though. Technically this should be way more expensive but for a low level characters it's not worth any more than an enhancement bonus 1/day which is about 2400ish I think, maybe less b/c of how soon you need the neck for something else. As long as you don't let it become slotless for 4800 or something similar for high level characters to abuse it'll be fine.

Pigkappa
2011-02-14, 02:58 PM
Is this ok?

Luck's Favor.
Evocation
Level: Brd 1, Wiz/Sorc 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action, then 1 immediate action (see text)
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 minute or until discharged.

Casting this spell requires 1 standard action. When the spell has been cast, up to 1 minute later, you can use an immediate action to gain a Luck bonus on your next attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check.
This bonus is equal to +1 for every three caster levels you have (min +1, max +3).

Luck's Necklace.
Once per day, a character wearing this necklace can activate it as an immediate action to receive a +2 Luck bonus on the next attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check.
Faint evocation; CL 6th; Craft Wondrous Items, Luck's Favor; Price 2000gp.