PDA

View Full Version : Is Kelpstrand Too Powerful?

cowsay
2011-02-13, 05:07 PM
I was just reading Kelpstrand again and, until it faces Freedom of Movement, it will enable you to grapple lions, tigers, and bears, oh my--even dragons. With just a little bit of seaweed, you get to grapple better than the party barbarian, even if you're a waifish druid. Pound for pound, it has to be one of the best 2nd level spells in the game, at least for a while. Is it too powerful?

And, I imagine there are ways to optimize it that I haven't thought of yet.

Aemoh87
2011-02-13, 05:09 PM
Yeah it is really powerful, but the problem is there are many more spells that are slightly more OP for a druid. Also wildshape can give them a pretty decent grapple so most barbs give up on the idea of beating at anything immediately.

ShriekingDrake
2011-02-13, 08:41 PM
I've thwarted many a DM's plans with that spell. It is a beauty.

molten_dragon
2011-02-13, 08:51 PM
It's a nice spell, and probably a bit overpowered, but on the scale of D&D broken spells, it ranks fairly low.

faceroll
2011-02-14, 02:45 AM
It's not "broken" like Gate is, but it's definitely way overpowered. There are very few druid spells between levels 1 and 3 that are better than it, in terms of control.

backpackjack
2011-02-17, 09:48 PM
It's a GREAT spell. It really allows for GREAT role-laying. I love it when the druid gets to entangle the ogre, even when the druid is a bird flying overhead. I know, druids don't need more bumps. But, it makes a fun tale.

Akal Saris
2011-02-17, 11:21 PM
It's a good spell, but I don't see it as too powerful at low levels. At 3rd level, you're likely getting +7 to the grapple check, while the party's barbarian with improved grapple is getting +7 to +15 to the check, depending on stats and whether or not he has an enlarge person active or is enraged when he tries. And unlike the kelpstrand, the barbarian can escalate the grapple to a pin next round, and it will last longer than 3 rounds.

It certainly does level well though - sending 5 kelpstrands at level 15, each of them at +24 or so, is quite nifty for a 2nd level spell (or 6th if quickened).

As druid spells go, it's competing with Blinding Spittle, Mass Snake's Swiftness, Resist Energy, Barkskin, Frost Breath, Splinterbolt, Luminous Armor, and Gust of Wind. That's some steep competition. :smalltongue:

faceroll
2011-02-18, 01:32 AM
It's best part, imo, is that unlike a barbarian, you don't have to waste your turn making grappling checks.