PDA

View Full Version : A little tree of anti spellcasting feats. PEACH

Redpieper
2011-02-15, 03:46 PM
So just trying something out. Let me know what you guys and girls think. :smallsmile:

Spell Parry (Fighter bonus feat)
Preqs: Mage Slayer, Base Attack +5

With this feat, whenever this character is the target of a spell of 3rd or lower level, he may make an immediate attack roll. The result of which is treated as the character's Spell resistance versus the spell.

Improved Spell Parry (Fighter bonus feat)
Preqs: Mage Slayer, Spell Parry, Base Attack +10

Same as Spell Parry only 6th or lower level spells.

Feat, Greater Spell Parry (Fighter bonus feat)
Preqs: Mage Slayer, Spell Parry, Improved Spell Parry, Base Attack +15

Same as Spell Parry only 9th or lower level spells.

Wording may be a bit off for which I apologize.

Darth Stabber
2011-02-15, 04:00 PM
More of a succession than a tree per se. Like it, but I would exempt AoE spells, because Parrying an explosion makes little sense. Though in Exalted that is perfectly in the doable realm (parrying mountains is a common occurance)

Telonius
2011-02-15, 04:10 PM
It's certainly nice, but I'd add in a couple of things.

- The character has to be aware of the spell being cast and able to respond to it. If the player is denied his Dex to AC, he can't Parry the spell.
- Light weapons cannot Parry spells. (A Monk's unarmed strike is an exception). You might also want to make Shields capable of parrying spells.
- I would treat the action as an Immediate Attack of Opportunity. If the character has already used up all of his AoO's this round, too bad for him.
- In the event that the character is targeted by multiple spells from a single enemy in the same round (via Quicken, Delayed Blast Fireball, or other shenanigans), and the character has only one Attack of Opportunity left, the character may make a Spellcraft check to determine which one of the spells he would like to attempt to Parry. If he fails the spellcraft check, the spell to be parried is determined randomly.
- If the character has existing spell resistance, take the larger of the two numbers (attack roll or existing SR).

Do note that while this is a very nice tree, a dedicated caster will still be able to find a way around it. There are plenty of no-save spells that Parry will not affect (Summon Monster X, Forcecage, etc)

Siosilvar
2011-02-15, 10:23 PM
More of a succession than a tree per se. Like it, but I would exempt AoE spells, because Parrying an explosion makes little sense. Though in Exalted that is perfectly in the doable realm (parrying mountains is a common occurance)You can't be targeted by an area spell. Should be more specific, though, I agree.

...technically, you can't be targeted by most effect spells (rays and orbs), either. Perhaps also allow the attack roll to stand in for touch AC?

It's certainly nice, but I'd add in a couple of things.

- The character has to be aware of the spell being cast and able to respond to it. If the player is denied his Dex to AC, he can't Parry the spell.
- Light weapons cannot Parry spells. (A Monk's unarmed strike is an exception). You might also want to make Shields capable of parrying spells.
- I would treat the action as an Immediate Attack of Opportunity. If the character has already used up all of his AoO's this round, too bad for him.
- In the event that the character is targeted by multiple spells from a single enemy in the same round (via Quicken, Delayed Blast Fireball, or other shenanigans), and the character has only one Attack of Opportunity left, the character may make a Spellcraft check to determine which one of the spells he would like to attempt to Parry. If he fails the spellcraft check, the spell to be parried is determined randomly.
- If the character has existing spell resistance, take the larger of the two numbers (attack roll or existing SR).I would just make it an attack of opportunity - you can't take them while flat-footed.

Spellcraft check shouldn't be used - except to identify before parrying. Adding an extra rule that should be used already for the sake of redundancy is... clumsy, I think.

Larger of two numbers is implied but should be explicit.

Any reason for excluding light weapons?

Telonius
2011-02-15, 10:42 PM
Any reason for excluding light weapons?

Mainly flavor. When I think of someone parrying a spell, the image that comes to my mind is some big ol' greatsword or longsword parting the magical energies, or maybe even a spinning quarterstaff deflecting them off to the side; not a dagger poking the magic's eye out. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing you can do unarmed at all, so unless you've got really specialized training I wouldn't want it to work unarmed. Mage Slayer is a prerequisite, and there are hefty BAB requirements, so we're probably talking about Fighter, Barbarian, Swashbuckler, or Knight anyway. Rogue, Scout, or Ninja could conceivably take it, but it seems like they should be using a bit heavier weaponry (Rapier is one-handed after all) if they're going to do that. (Monk needs all the help it can get, so I'm not about to say they can't have this along with their unarmed strike).