PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

Maxios
2011-02-18, 05:06 PM
I was just using my computer, and it shut off and turned back, on it's own. And, all my stuff on my user I had open was still open. I use a Windows XP. Can someone tell me why this happened? I suspect it was a power surge, but I don't know

Keld Denar
2011-02-18, 05:13 PM
Automatic update? That would be my guess. Were you actively using it when it shut down? Or did you step AFK for a second?

Depending on your settings, crash recovery would reopen all of your brouser tabs and even some programs like word when the computer shuts itself off for any reason other than clicking Start > Shut down.

Maxios
2011-02-18, 05:15 PM
Automatic update? That would be my guess. Were you actively using it when it shut down? Or did you step AFK for a second?

Depending on your settings, crash recovery would reopen all of your brouser tabs and even some programs like word when the computer shuts itself off for any reason other than clicking Start > Shut down.

I was using it when it shut down. I was playing Minecraft when it happened. And it still says it has updates to do, which rules that out...
Edit: And I watched it shut down, and it didn't do any updates

Siosilvar
2011-02-18, 05:22 PM
I was using it when it shut down. I was playing Minecraft when it happened. And it still says it has updates to do, which rules that out...
Edit: And I watched it shut down, and it didn't do any updates

Mine does that too. Not sure what the problem is.

But, Minecraft multiplayer is buggy. Tell Notch. (http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang)

Maxios
2011-02-18, 06:20 PM
Mine does that too. Not sure what the problem is.

But, Minecraft multiplayer is buggy. Tell Notch. (http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang)

Thanks. I'll let Notch know right away :smallsmile:

factotum
2011-02-19, 02:31 AM
If the stuff you had open beforehand was still open then your computer didn't shut down. If the screen went blank then I would suspect something iffy with the graphics card, particularly since you say you were playing Minecraft at the time--I've had situations where the video card driver has crashed, which makes the screen go blank for a few seconds while Windows restarts it.

Brother Oni
2011-02-19, 04:46 AM
An overheating CPU would trigger an audible alert (if the PC speaker is hooked up) when close and would actually shut down if it exceeds the temperature.

The other option is that the BSOD option is turned off, so the computer just restarts without showing the telling blue screen.

My suggestions would be to clean the inside of the computer, checking the heatsink and fans for dust buildup and that your PC speaker is plugged in, then re-enable the BSOD option which will let you troubleshoot the root cause of the shutdown.

Siosilvar
2011-02-19, 07:44 PM
You use XP. Do you, by any chance, use a Netgear wireless card?

Maxios
2011-02-19, 08:03 PM
You use XP. Do you, by any chance, use a Netgear wireless card?

How'd you guess?

grimbold
2011-02-20, 06:05 AM
automatic update probably
assuming you didnt go BSOD you should be fine