PDA

View Full Version : Because Wall Jellies Weren't Bad Enough (3.5 Monster)

Realms of Chaos
2011-02-19, 10:19 PM
This is what happens when I get bored. :smallbiggrin:

Otherwhere Jelly
Large Ooze (Extraplanar)
HD 8d10+48 (92 HP)
Speed 5 ft. (1 squares); Climb 5 ft.
Init: +0
AC 9 (-1 Size); touch 9; flat-footed 9
BAB +6; Grp +20
Attack --
Full-Attack --
Space 10 ft.; Reach 0 ft
Special Attacks Acid, Adhesion, Adhesive Grab, Dimensional Burst, Engulf,
Special Qualities Blindsight 100 feet., Ooze Traits, Immunity to Acid, Natural Invisibility
Saves Fort +12 Ref +2 Will +7
Abilities Str 30, Dex 10, Con 22, Int --, Wis 20, Cha 1
Skills Climb +18
Feats --
Environment Any Underground
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 6 (7?)
Treasure 1/2 Coins; 1/2 Goods; 1/2 Items (Inorganic only)
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement 9-15 HD (Large); 16-25 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment –

There is nothing there to see

An otherwhere jelly is an extraplanar phenomenon given life and obeying its own sense of physics. In relation to whatever substance it is on, the otherwhere jelly is effectively two dimensional, crawling along with less thickness than a coat of paint or blood as its invisibility conceals it. Fortunately, this two-dimensional nature prevents it from extending pseudopodia to harm prey. Unfortunately, it’s outer membrane is a powerful adhesive that slowly pull those who touch it into the remainder of its body, held within extradimensional space.
When viewed through magical means, the otherwhere jelly appears as a black splotch with pulsating borders moving along whatever substance it finds itself on.

Combat: An otherwhere jelly fights using simple tactics, placing itself in front of a potential meal and hoping that it is touched. As digestion rarely takes more than a minute or two, the jelly never refuses more food and won’t retreat from a battle.

Acid (Ex): Any creature grappling with an otherwhere jelly and any organic matter adhered to it or held within it take 2d6 acid damage each round.

Adhesion (Ex): Any item that touches an otherwhere jelly is instantly adhered and instantly falls into it if unattended. If the object is attended, its owner may attempt a DC 20 Reflex Save. If it fails, it must make another Reflex save against the same DC. If it fail on the second save, the object is ripped from the creature’s hands and is pulled into the jelly. If it succeeds on the second save, it may make an opposed grapple check against the otherwhere jelly each round to attempt to free it (note that organic objects take damage each round during this time). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Adhesive Grapple (Ex): Any creature who touches an otherwhere jelly with their body (even when making an unarmed strike against it) is treated as being grappled by the otherwhere jelly as it is partially pulled within it. While grappling an otherwhere jelly in this way, a creature is immobilized. An Otherwhere jelly can grapple up to 4 medium creatures, 8 small creatures, or 16 tiny or smaller creatures in this way at a given time without taking any penalties to grapple checks.

Dimensional Burst (Ex): When an otherwhere jelly is slain, its extradimensional space collapses, forcing its mass into the world in a torrential gush of black acid. All organic creatures and unattended objects within 30 feet of the otherwhere jelly take 6d6 acid damage (or half with a DC 20 Reflex). The save DC is Constitution-based. All objects held within an otherwhere jelly at the time it is slain are ejected.

Engulf (Ex): Any creature who an otherwhere jelly pins is pulled bodily within it (appearing from the outside as though it has been pulled within the object that the jelly rests upon). The creature remains inside until it or the otherwhere jelly is dead or it succeeds in pinning the jelly. All attacks made against the otherwhere jelly while inside it gain a +2 bonus and deal double damage. As there is nothing beyond the otherwhere jelly’s extradimensional space, piercing it simply causes it to quickly reform after some of its contents spill out into nothingness. The utter blackness of the jelly’s acid is visible while within it, keeping creatures within it from seeing. This ability doesn’t function against creatures targeted by dimensional anchor effects or within the area of a dimensional lock or forbiddance effect.

Natural Invisibility (Su): An otherwhere jelly is naturally invisible to the naked eye, which can only see the surface that the jelly moves along. Creatures using see invisibility, true seeing, or similar effects can see the otherwhere jelly normally. An invisibility purge, faerie fire, or similar effect will only force the otherwhere jelly into visibility for 1d4 rounds before it vanishes once more.

Skills: An otherwhere jelly has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. "

Debihuman
2011-02-19, 11:39 PM
What kind of save is made for Dimensional Burst? It looks like it should be a Reflex save.

It's interesting. However, it could use some proofreading. You switch between singular and plurals (sometimes in the same sentence).

Debby

EdroGrimshell
2011-02-20, 12:55 AM
Under speed it says 5ft (2 squares). Is that supposed to be 10ft (2 squares) or 5ft (1 square)?

Realms of Chaos
2011-02-20, 01:26 AM
Debihuman: Yep, that was supposed to be a reflex save.
I use "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun applying to a singular person when I write. It's actually pretty common from what I've seen. :smallconfused:

EdroGrimshell: Thanks for the help. the speed was originally 10 feet but I lowered it to 5 at the last moment. :smallsigh:

Debihuman
2011-02-20, 12:25 PM
Use of the singular "they" may be common, but it's wrong. It is especially confusing when you discuss two creatures, generally the jelly and its intended victim. Just say "it" instead of "they" for the gender neutral singular.

Now, it says Speed 5 ft. (5 squares); it should be Speed 5 ft. (1 square).

Debby

Land Outcast
2011-02-20, 02:08 PM
Any reason why you gave it Dex 10? That's extremely high Dex for an ooze.

Should also say:
"Skills
An otherwhere jelly has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. "

-----------------

I like it, there was another* ooze (in Monsters of Faerun) with natural invisibility, but it didn't have the dungeon-trap capacity of this one with its adhesive ("you thought you were safe from ooze surprises with your ranks in spot? ha!"). And the extradimensional space is just neat (as is the visual revealed through magical means)

*It might be normal for oozes, never paid them much attention to say the truth.

Realms of Chaos
2011-02-20, 02:16 PM
Use of the singular "they" may be common, but it's wrong.

I prefer to use descriptive grammar rules over prescriptive grammar rules in my everyday life and on forums (a trend that extends into my vocabulary, where ginormous is a real word) but I commend you on maintaining a higher level of standards and on correcting me. I've never been corrected in this way before so I suppose you could say that you've boldly gone where no poster has ever gone before. Yes, I just went there.

Back on topic, I changed the pronouns, fixed the speed (how on earth did I actually make that problem worse?!), and added the skills section due to climb speed.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Debihuman
2011-02-20, 04:02 PM
It looks much better now.

Debby
P.S. Of course, "ginormous" is a real word; it's a blend of "gigantic" and "enormous" but, alas, is not a standard 3.5 size. The tarrasque should be Ginormous.