PDA

View Full Version : Gygax's "Necropolis" Adventure

Essence_of_War
2011-02-22, 09:04 AM
I'm DM'ing for a party of 6 characters that will be starting the Necropolis adventure (from Necromancer games) shortly. They are presently ECL 8, but will get to ECL 9 before we start. For those familiar, I'm using the "Set's Daughter" adventure to lead them into the land of Khemit.

Their party consists of:
Druid (natural spell banhammer'd)
Wizard
Bard/arcane archer (using the 3.0 version to advance casting also)
Swash/Rogue
Fighter/dragon samurai
A fighter/Wilder (1 level dip in fighter for survivability)

The swash/rogue is probably the best optimized.

Does anyone have any experience with this adventure/module/mini-camp? Are there any particular encounters or situations that PCs are likely to have a ton of trouble with that I should look out for?

potatocubed
2011-02-22, 12:11 PM
The thing to bear in mind is that Necropolis doesn't feature 'balanced encounters' and pays no heed to the idea of 'level-appropriate threats'. The Temple of Osiris in particular is brutal that way, although you can see it as early as the bandit encounter with about 20 level 1 warriors, a level 13 rogue, a level 13 cleric and a level 12 sorcerer.

If your players aren't used to the Gygaxian style of play - that is, relying more on their cleverness in play than the builds of their characters - then you might want to go easy on them to start while they learn the new approach: have debilitating effects be temporary or easier to remove, make death effects into ability drain, etc.