PDA

View Full Version : Things you LOVE to hear the PCs/DM say

Pika...
2011-02-22, 02:06 PM
A counter for Silus' thread.

As a DM we love to hear players say certain things. Not necessarily good for them, but eh. :smallbiggrin:

And as players, same vs. the DM.

Example I enjoy:

DM/Myself: "OK, you set out during mid winter after I mentioned it a few times, and your a few days out. Who has any winter survival gear?"
Players: "......."

Choco
2011-02-22, 02:09 PM
"What? How? There is no way you could have...."

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-22, 02:11 PM
I love the mechanics of the game. As such, I LOVE it when an NPC pulls off something completely unexpected for his archetype. Although I'll try not to let it influence my behavior in game, I'll obsessively try to puzzle out possible builds that would have allowed for the observed in game effect.

Much the same, but for when I DM, nothing thrills me more than hearing my players out of game puzzling over just exactly how the hell that happened in a given session. Always puts a smile on my face :smallbiggrin:

Xiander
2011-02-22, 02:13 PM
Something everyone must agree on:

DM: Well, with the experience you earned for defeating the dragon its time to level up.

Last Laugh
2011-02-22, 03:13 PM
Something everyone must agree on:

DM: Well, with the experience you earned for defeating the dragon its time to level up.

I bet the dragon isn't too happy.

Chess435
2011-02-22, 03:20 PM
DM: You close your eyes and let fate decide what card emerges. Upon opening them, you see the image of the sun emblazoned on a metal plaque. You suddenly feel a rush of knowledge and power, while a magical book suddenly materializes before you.

A free cookie to the first one to pick up the reference. :smallbiggrin:

Teln
2011-02-22, 03:23 PM
Hmm, sounds like it involves the notorious Deck of Many Things.

(EDIT) My contribution, from Exalted: "Three dice".

Chess435
2011-02-22, 03:25 PM
Hmm, sounds like it involves the notorious Deck of Many Things.

Ding, Ding, Ding! The sun card to be exact, which gives 50,000 XP and a medium wondrous item.

*Tosses Teln a cookie*

Sipex
2011-02-22, 03:26 PM
I love hearing my players say things like "Augh, THAT guy. I hate that guy." in response to the presence of an NPC.

Lets me know I've written a really compelling villain.

Choco
2011-02-22, 03:29 PM
I love hearing my players say things like "Augh, THAT guy. I hate that guy." in response to the presence of an NPC.

Lets me know I've written a really compelling villain.

That is always a plus! Also, a variant on this that I really love:

"Wait, did you say [description of some key traits of villain]? OMG WE GOTTA GET OUT OF HERE ASAP!!"

Apparently, you have a villain do an impressive enough display of power ONE time when the PC's are lvl 1, and give him a scary enough personality, and they will be scared of him even long after they are powerful enough to beat him...

Zaydos
2011-02-22, 03:30 PM
Whenever the players (who don't regularly swear) start swearing about the villains.

Or vow to destroy them.

Or actually stop to run mental calculations as to what their characters would do in that situation.

slaydemons
2011-02-22, 03:32 PM
DM: LOOTS FOR ALLS

pc all around everywhere : :D

Barbin
2011-02-22, 03:38 PM
DM: As you pull the sword from the stone you feel a rush of holy power course through your body.

Me(paladin): I have the power!

DukeofDellot
2011-02-22, 03:40 PM
Do like: "So I've been playing my character as a <trait>, but also a <trait>, however, I'm not sure how my character would react to that, so I guess I'll..."

Do not want: "How do I respond to this [rolls mood die], I guess I'm angry, I attack."

Do like: "So there's fifty of them... I say we alert the town guard and set them up in the flank while we cover their escape route with traps and ambush the survivors."

Do not want: "I use Sex Appeal on the Monster!"

Engine
2011-02-22, 03:49 PM
DM: "XP."

DM: "Magic item."

Saintheart
2011-02-23, 09:09 AM
Players: Dude ... that was awesome.

I honestly think there's nothing better that the coordinator of a game of make-believe involving dragons and swords can hear from his players.

Karuth
2011-02-23, 09:26 AM
In one particular (evil aligned) group we have the recurring phrase:

"But, it was an accident!"

Said in response to following accusations (a small extract ^^):
"You caused a hill slide anihilating a mountain vacation paradise."

"You were supposed to bring back my daughter, not anger our demon associate by destroying part of his palace."

"You blasted one of the strings from the spiderweb pits. Of course Lolth noticed it."

Our GM never gets tired of hearing it ^^

BadJuJu
2011-02-23, 10:09 AM
When rolling initiative when no one can see a creature.

Me(DM): Who's next?
Ranger: I have a 21.
Me: Oh, the Dragon's is higher.
Party: I hate you...

TheCountAlucard
2011-02-23, 10:15 AM
Me, personally? I love it when the ST is curious to see how my Malkavian's "plans" turn out. :smallamused:

Yora
2011-02-23, 10:21 AM
I love it when the players decline something. It's almost always a sign that they started actually thinking of what their characters are doing and don't just follow the rails. That's the point when they finally decide that they take control where things are going. Means more work for the GM, but if I wanted the plot to follow the path I've laid out, I'd write a novel.

Grendus
2011-02-23, 10:22 AM
DM: "That's a critical confirmation with the lance, on a charge. You have a Charging Valorous Lance and Spirited Charge, plus Rhino Hide armor. You power attacked for 10 points and carried the lance with two hands.

Let's save rolls, the dragon is dead. Exp for everyone, go take a dip in the pile of gold behind him."

Now that's a good day.

big teej
2011-02-23, 11:16 AM
from my players: "what do you mean it's not dead!?!?!"

Zaydos
2011-02-23, 11:58 AM
PC: I open a gateway to Asgard.
DM: :smalleek: :smallsigh: (secretly loving it) Alright Actual thoughts: Yay they found a way to escape alive

PC: Can you die in heaven?
DM: It's the Norse heaven and plane of battle where dead spirits fight each day only to rise again at dawn, guess.
PC: :smalleek:

The answer is I haven't decided yet and he flubbed his Knowledge (the Planes) so I don't have to until it comes up.

PC: Then I'll just have to assume every valkyrie is my sister.

Other PC (over skype when told of my plans involving valkyries and LG clerics): -clapping smiley-

I'm a little evil...

Choco
2011-02-23, 12:03 PM
PC: I open a gateway to Asgard.
DM: :smalleek: :smallsigh: (secretly loving it) Alright Actual thoughts: Yay they found a way to escape alive

PC: Can you die in heaven?
DM: It's the Norse heaven and plane of battle where dead spirits fight each day only to rise again at dawn, guess.
PC: :smalleek:

The answer is I haven't decided yet and he flubbed his Knowledge (the Planes) so I don't have to until it comes up.

PC: Then I'll just have to assume every valkyrie is my sister.

Other PC (over skype when told of my plans involving valkyries and LG clerics): -clapping smiley-

I'm a little evil...

If you REALLY want to be evil, the Norse gods would NOT be too happy with the PC's entering Asgard. Asgard is a place that those who died honorably in battle go, it might be seen as SLIGHTLY offensive that a bunch of cowards ran there escaping battle :smallamused:

Zaydos
2011-02-23, 12:21 PM
If you REALLY want to be evil, the Norse gods would NOT be too happy with the PC's entering Asgard. Asgard is a place that those who died honorably in battle go, it might be seen as SLIGHTLY offensive that a bunch of cowards ran there escaping battle :smallamused:

Oh yes. They had just fought 600+ hobgoblin soldiers, but the Norse gods are going to banish them in exactly 5 days and they aren't allowed to return.

Edit: Also they went to Thor's hall which was open to craftsmen and commoners instead of just the warrior elite.

Epsilon Rose
2011-02-23, 12:28 PM
DM: "Sure. Why not?"

Almost always leads to fun times.

Caliphbubba
2011-02-23, 03:56 PM
Player: "Sure you can make my character".

Muhahahahahahaha

FallenWarriorIV
2011-02-23, 04:03 PM
LG ftr in a party of CG: I'm going to buy my friends rooms for the night then while they're sleeping, alert the guards to the whereabouts of the law breakers.

Turned what was supposed to be a thirty minute "chase down the bad guy" into a 3 session jail break and incite a revolution campaign. (ftr got killed, obviously.)

Silus
2011-02-23, 04:08 PM
PC: "Wait, we're WHERE?!"

PC: "I open the book."

PC: "What do you mean he's got backup?"

DukeofDellot
2011-02-23, 04:19 PM
Do Like: Hey, next week can I run a game?

Do Not Want: I plan on running a game based off the Halo Universe!

Ashram
2011-02-23, 04:22 PM
Do Like: Hey, next week can I run a game?

Do Not Want: I plan on running a game based off the Halo Universe!

Not gonna lie, playing a Spartan would be B.A. :smallwink:

Do Want [3.P]: So, you're rolling a greatsword fighter? Sure, you can have Leap Attack.

BenInHB
2011-02-23, 04:30 PM
DM: "You WHAT??"

Chess435
2011-02-23, 04:36 PM
Do Want: I plan on running a game based off the Halo Universe!

Fixed that for you! :smallwink:

Rankar
2011-02-23, 04:37 PM
From PC: How much life does this thing have??

From DM: You killed it... I can't believe you killed it already...

Tyndmyr
2011-02-23, 04:38 PM
As a player: Y'all can use core + completes. The rest of it's broken.

DukeofDellot
2011-02-23, 05:03 PM
Fixed that for you! :smallwink:

Statement... I guess I'll elaborate.

This statement was made by someone who thinks a good strategy for a gun fight is to stand still and fire endlessly. A player who once said "I didn't read what the ability did, I just wrote it on my character sheet, it's your job to know what it does." A player that has to have the math of his attack roll explained to him every time he attacks. We let him into a 4e DnD game, but as a defender he never once marked an enemy or used a single At-Will power.

Wanting a insanely bland setting that he doesn't even understand. Without the skill to run a game, or even study the rules. He remains incapable of playing, much less running a game.

And knowing him, it wouldn't just be the setting, it would be the same terrain, and levels, and plot, and enemies, and our dungeon crawls would get boring fast.

A player that after months of training him to be a decent acceptable player, he rejected it all when I told him no to a character concept (he wanted to replay his useless character that failed at everything every time he tried to do anything, but this time it would work) and then whined himself into getting kicked out of the group, and whined himself into getting brought back into the group, and whined himself into a broken nose.

That is what I do not want.

Although if we were playing as the covenant, with a decent GM, it might be fun... no, still dislike it. Though my distaste for Halo goes beyond... I guess it might be fun... possibly... maybe... ... ... no, Halo sucks.

Do Like: Yeah, that guy I invited, he brought a friend and they both already have characters built.

Do Not Want: I gonna switch characters to that one we used in the last campaign where you gave us each like ten times the amount of GP. He's the same level.

Do Like: I'm an assassin; it was a job. (told to an angry NPC)

Do Not Want: I'm an assassin; it was a job. That character has no right to be mad at me. (told to me, the GM)

Do Like: I wrote a backstory based on your setting...

Do Not Want:http://www.winterson.com.nyud.net:8090/pics/swb251lt.jpg (http://winterson.com/2005/06/episode-iii-backstroke-of-west.html)
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jaidu
2011-02-23, 05:15 PM
"Thanks for coming/running the game/etc."

Seriously, nothing makes me happier than when the players and the DM/GM can have fun and work together to make the game enjoyable. Any time I can play is a good time.

"Roll initiative."

Still gets me amped up.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-02-23, 05:17 PM
DM: "Hm, I hadn't thought about solving the problem that way, but I guess it works."

Favorite.

Chess435
2011-02-23, 05:18 PM
@ DukeofDellot
Okay, I get it, you hate Halo. But no need to insult me as well. :smallfrown:

Anyway, back on topic:

Not exactly a verbal one, but whenever I can get the DM to pause the game for a few minutes in order to take into account the consequences of my PC's actions on the plot, that's a win in my book.

DukeofDellot
2011-02-23, 05:23 PM
... Not you... I don't know you, how could I say any of that about you?

I was talking about a player of mine. That got kicked out of my group for being a whiny brat... and got back in by whining some more.

Unless you happen to be this individual. Which you aren't because if you were him you're avatar would be a poorly drawn wolf person.

Though I can see where you thought I might have been talking about you... hm... oh well. Sorry about that.

Chess435
2011-02-23, 05:30 PM
Oh. I feel much better now. Thanks for clearing that up. :smallamused:

DukeofDellot
2011-02-23, 05:44 PM
And I only say these things because I know he'll never see them...

Do Like: My Alignment? Um... ****, I was too busy creating his personality that I forgot that part... um... Unaligned, I guess.

Do Not Want: I'm Chaotic Evil. (to other players) That means I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.

Cogidubnus
2011-02-23, 05:47 PM
PC: Sooo, has anyone heard of the BoEF?

=P

More seriously, a player in a campaign of mine once insisted there was no point chasing the mysterious cloaked figure who just watched them fighta bunch of undead and then ran. He was right, but only cos half the party were in full plate and the runner could cast Expeditious Retreat.

Zaydos
2011-02-23, 05:56 PM
PC: and we'll do this -explains logically consistent plan that works within the rules, requires pooling character resources and skills, and should work-

DM: It works.

actually one of my two current groups their first session together (when it was a one shot; one person dropped and was replaced... he was tactically the best) actually came up with such a plan. It was awesome. They even pointed out possible flaws in their own plan to me (I told them not to).

Vknight
2011-02-23, 08:50 PM
As Player (What the Dm or Other Players say)
Dm; You can't sell the Lich's soul to the Pit Fiend!
Me; I have the Phylactery though
Dm; :smallfurious:

Me; So I burned a village of Elves downed called upon the goddess Lilith to accept my sacrifice.
Other Player; Wait are you evil?

Any Other Player I have Played With; Your characters stretch morality, beat it with lead pipes then drop it in a back alley.

Dm's at Wizard of the Coast Events; You character is now a NPC and wanted within the entire kingdom for crimes of an unspeakable nature.

As Dm (What My Players Say)
-What do you mean cursed?

-Is that Rodrick?

-I buy 50ft of admantium chain!

-I want to play a Bugbear!

-Your a horrible person, a cruel dm, and psychotic player, but by george we love you, you insane -BEEP-

-Wait is that a Ranger and a Boar?

Sith_Happens
2011-02-23, 11:12 PM
PC: and we'll do this -explains logically consistent plan that works within the rules, requires pooling character resources and skills, and should work-

DM: It works.

actually one of my two current groups their first session together (when it was a one shot; one person dropped and was replaced... he was tactically the best) actually came up with such a plan. It was awesome. They even pointed out possible flaws in their own plan to me (I told them not to).

Yeah, in one of the groups on my floor it usually goes more like this:

Player: "I know, I make the grandfather clocks and my grappling hook into a catapult, fill a bucket with all of my soap, caltrops, etc., then launch myself off of the catapult and use my Eldritch Blast to turn the bucket into an IED as I slam it down over the gargoyle's head."
DM: "...................And you want to do all of that in one round? ............Just roll it."
Player: *rolls* "Natural 20."
DM: "............Why the hell not."

The best part? The campaign I'm joining soon has that same DM and that same player in it. Things are gonna get CRAZY:smallbiggrin:

Tvtyrant
2011-02-24, 01:32 AM
PC: "I barricade two of the doors with the tables, dousing the tables with the oil. I then douse all of the books with more oil, and set fire to the wizards' library. I set fire to the open third door, and then close it behind me. I pour the rest of my oil in a line behind me as I run down the hall, splashing it on the wall rugs from time to time. When I reach the end of the hallway I set it on fire."

Me: "You don't think that is a little paranoid?"

PC: "Last time we tried to destroy his spellbook he sicked a half dozen Gricks on us. Let's see them find me through the smoke!"

Me: "Roll a spot check please" :D