PDA

View Full Version : Mutations, Abominations and (lovecraftian) horror suggestions? [3.5]

Warlawk
2011-02-24, 02:46 PM
So I'm doing some pre-pre-game planning for something I might run down the line (I'm the backup DM for when our main DM would like to take a little break and just be a player for a bit). At the moment I don't have any set time to start the game, and I'm just getting some ideas down on (digital) paper so I have them organized and don't forget anything.

The basic premise of the game is dealing with fragments of a powerful artifact designed to create a link between the prime material (in this case, Toril specifically as it will start in Forgotten Realms) and the Far Realm. The Far Realm is a completely unknown factor as it doesn't really feature in FR and hasn't ever really shown up in our games before, so I pretty much have complete artistic license without anyone trying to say "it's not like that!" Not really an issue in our group, but basically no one is coming into it with any preconceived notions.

I'm planning to use a lot of templated creatures early in the game before they get high enough level to throw some really messed up Abberant creature types at them. I'm not worried too heavily about assigning specific CR values to them, as we tend to be a bit loose with that anyways. What I'm looking to do is create three tiers of templates to add to existing creatures.

Lesser Horror
The creature is immune to fear and gains one point of mutations.

Greater Horror
The creature is immune to fear and gains two points of mutations. The creature also gains Lowlight vision (or double range if already possessed)

True Horror
The creature is immune to all mine effecting abilities and gains five points of mutations. The creature also gains Darkvision (or double range if already possessed)

The mutations should be broken down as one, two and three point mutations.

Putrefaction, 1 point mutation.
This creature is alive though its body is in the process of decay.
Any melee attack which strikes the creature causes the attacker to take 1 point of damage from the various foul fluids and vermin (maggots and the like) which splash forth from the wound. When this creature is killed the body decay which has begun within its body becomes complete and it collapses in a pool of putrid decay. All creatures within 5 feet take 1d4 points of damage and all creatures within 15 feet must make a fort save dc 12+ the HD of the creature or be sickened for 1d4 rounds. All creatures with any Horror template or aberrant type are immune to this effect.

Monstrous Reach, 1 point mutation.
Through various mutations of the limbs this creature has 5 feet additional reach.
The details of how this reach is gained vary from creature to creature. For some it may be as simple as a grotesque lengthening of the arms. For others their body may have mutated in such a way that they can tear off their own arm and wield it with the other hand to gain additional reach, or have a very long prehensile muscular tongue that can wield a weapon or allow for reach.

Spew Corruption, 1 point mutation.
The creature can spew powerful stomach acids or other filth and corruption from within its body.
The horror gains the ability to make a ranged attack which is a standard action and does not provoke AoOs. It has a range of 60' and a damage of 1d8+2 per HD. The target must make a fort save with a DC of 12+1 per HD or be sickened for 1 round.

Supernatural Senses, 2 point mutation. (perhaps 1 point?)
The creature has mutated a completely new set of sensory organs. In many cases the entire head of the creature may simply be a pulsing mass of odd tissue that reacts to stimulus around it.
The creature gains Blindsight 30'

These are just a couple of ideas I had right off the top of my head that I wanted to get written down. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thinking maybe a t2 ability to make a ranged attack in which the creature pukes up a small tentacled horror from within its body, certainly need to get a tentacle power in there, just not sure if I want it to be something wrapped into the Monstrous Reach, or like a T2 or T3 power with really nasty effects tied into the tentacle hits, maybe a contact poison or free grapple/trip effects or something.

jojolagger
2011-02-24, 03:16 PM
This has lots of potential. I'll be watching for how this turns out.

Land Outcast
2011-02-25, 02:56 AM
Thinking about Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos:

Genetic Degeneration I, 1 point mutation: +4 Str, -2 Wis
Genetic Degeneration II, 2 point mutation: +6 Str, +2 Con, -4 Wis
Genetic Degeneration III, 3 point mutation: +8 Str, +4 Con, +4 Int, -6 Wis, +6 Cha
Note: if you have Degeneration I you can upgrade it via 1 mutation point to Degeneration II, etc.

Of course, not just interbreeding, but also breeding with things man wasn't supposed to have contact with.
Trying to mirror the loss of sanity and empathy, the increase in resilence and strength, and the supernatural intellect and otherworldly force of will and personality which creatures acquire.
Thinking about your divisions I think it'd fit, a totally degenerate creature could be a Greater Horror but not the True Horror unless something else completed the painting.

Devour, 1 point mutation: something about feeding from corpses (or live creatures) to heal and gain bonuses which last for a week.
Consume, 2 point mutation: grants the Barghest's Feed ability.

Mangles
2011-02-25, 08:45 AM
Spew Horror: 2 Mutation points
Prerequisite: Spew Corruption
Once per day, the creature is able to vomit a stomach horror formed from its own internal organs. This is a full round action. Doing so causes 2 points of con damage to the creature and creates a stomach horror. The stomach horror is a approximately circular blob, covered in tentacles and suction caps. The creature who vomited up the stomach horror is considered its master and can use a move action to direct it. Should it be left to its own devices it will attack everything living within a 60ft radius of the master.

The stomach horror has 2 Int, Wis Char but uses the same physical stats and also always starts with half the HP of the master. The stomach horror is always one size smaller than the master and acts on the masters turn. It also has the same BAB and Saves as the master. The following stat block is for a stomach horror made from a master of medium size. Changes will need to be made depending on the creatures actual size.

Size/Type: Small (aberration)
Hit Dice: Always half of master
Initiative: Same as master
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Swim 10 ft.
Armor Class: 11 (+1 size), touch 11, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: Same as master
Attack: Tentacles BA melee (1d4)
Full Attack: 4x Tentacles BA melee (1d4)and 3x bite BA-5 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spew Corruption, Improved grab
Special Qualities: Putrefaction, Blind-sight 60ft
Saves: Same as master
Abilities: Physical stats Same as master, Int 1, Wis 3, Cha 1
Skills: Incapable of learning skills
Feats: Incapable of learning feats

sorry if its badly explained, not sure if it should cost more points or not either. By getting this a creature has invested a total of 3 mutation points. That seems like a bit under this system considering 5 is the most.

IHeartDeepOnes
2011-03-09, 04:49 PM
I am a big fan of anything lovecraftian (as you can tell by the name) so I'll be following this thread with interest.

And if you haven't already, may I suggest you take a look at the mindflayer's of thoon in the MM 5.

Kuma Kode
2011-03-10, 07:07 AM
Pseudonatural is a good place to start when working with the templates. Tentacles and strange body fluids are nice and all, but you may also want to throw in some psychological horror abilities as opposed to simply visceral.

You could have mutations that allow the creature to control others. Combine that with visceral and you get something that literally crawls inside something else and controls it like a puppet.

Lovecraft also had a lot to do with the power of words, as exemplified by the tomes and rituals.

He also used fear of the unknown, so perhaps some mutations that conceal or otherwise obscure the creature might be useful?

Owrtho
2011-03-10, 06:09 PM
Well, as some may suspect from things I've made, I'm something of a fan of the far realm, and think I'll keep an eye on this and try lending aid if I think of anything. That said, while I can't think of anything off hand at the moment, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8550587) is a base class that does something similar to what you seem to be looking for that you may get some inspiration from.

Owrtho

Bhu
2011-03-11, 12:12 AM
oooh mythos stuff *nests*