PDA

View Full Version : DnD 4E Open Design- Themes

Lord Raziere
2011-02-26, 10:40 PM
Ok, in another thread, about some guy wanting 4E to be more diverse like 3.5, it eventually led to a discussion that themes could make things more diverse in DnD 4E, I liked the idea, so I've decided to start a thread for it, for designing homebrew themes for fourth edition.

remember: no arguing or anything like that, unless you are here to design Themes or critique them to make them better there is no real point for you to be here.

I'm gonna try design themes myself, but I'm new at homebrewing, so I'm not that sure of myself, and everyone is open to contributing their own Themes or designing their own powers to existing themes, and I'm gonna assume these people designing them have read the 4E rules and have the Dark Sun book cause you can't really design themes without those two things.

Edit: also, I have no qualms about having two different versions of the same theme, more options are always better and if someone likes one version of one theme or another I'm not gonna stop them from choosing it

List of Themes already thought up:

by me:
Diplomat
Mercenary
Veteran
Scholar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10456274&postcount=2)
Pirate
Devout (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10457638&postcount=3) (religion is important to you, but not as much as say, the divine classes)
Noble
Commoner
Explorer
Merchant
Spy
Were-Animal Initiate
Vampiric Savant
Demon-Blooded
Angel-Blooded
Dragon Heir
Rebel
Elementalist (You can draw upon one of the primal elements of the world to help you)
Oracle
Elder
Knight
Healer

by WitchSlayer:
Inquisitor

By Bardic:
Bardic's Diplomat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10458432&postcount=4)

By Nu:
Witch Doctor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10459700&postcount=5)

Theme Paragon Paths:

Were-Animal
Vampire
Half-Demon
Half-Celestial
Half-Dragon

Theme Epic Destinies:

Vampire Lord
Were-Animal Warchief
Celestial Ascendant
Demon Devolved
Dragon Transcendent

Lord Raziere
2011-02-27, 12:19 AM
Going in no particular order.....

Scholar

Role: Controller
Power Source: Arcane

Not all those who study in libraries and research through books are wizards wielding the ultimate power of the universe. Some are merely those who seek knowledge for whatever reason. Some do it so that they may better fight the threats that plague the world, or to solve its problems. Many scholars are people seeking cures to magical plagues or curses, to find illusive historical truths in the ruins of the past or uncover dangerous conspiracies. If there is a mystery or something unknown, a Scholar will search for it.

Not all Scholars are wizards or other wielders of the arcane arts, some are more well-rounded and proudly wear armor, swing a sword or fire a bow to back up their brains with brawn. The rogue whose knowledge makes him an unparalleled detective, the traveling soldier who studies books to know their enemy, the paladin who takes pains to know all that can of the theology around him, the captain who carries around books of tactics and geography to help him come with winning strategies and the barbarian who wisely hit the library to better understand the complexities of civilization- these are the Scholars whose wit matches their muscles.

A Scholar while not having the secrets of any true arcanist at their fingertips, know many tricks and techniques they use instead to help them on their quest, and have a particular knack for encyclopedic knowledge and applying it to the situation. The Scholar always has a way of coming up with tricky solutions knowing enough to get them out of anything.

Scholars get training in two skills of their choice:
Arcana, Nature, Religion, History, Heal.

Level 1 Power:
Level 2 Power:
Level 3 Power:
Level 4 Power:
Level 5 Power:
Level 6 Power:
Level 7 Power:
Level 8 Power:
Level 9 Power:
Level 10 Power:

Lord Raziere
2011-02-27, 10:11 AM
Devout

There are paladins standing strong for their religion, clerics who spread their beliefs, Invokers who philosophize and avengers who stand backed up by their faith. You may be one of these people but then again you may not. There are some who despite their devout nature do not devote themselves with divine powers. Their devotion is different, they devote themselves with their own skill or with magic rather than call upon their deity for power. However they are granted blessings anyway for their faith.

The wizard who seeks knowledge for Ioun, the rogue following Avandra or Sehanine, the fighter battling for Kord or defending for Bahamut, the druids who revere Melora or the warlord fighting for Erathis these are just a few examples of those devout outside of the church. These believers are steadfast in their faith as any paladin and are willing to do anything to defend it.

One who is devout while not having the raw divine power of those who devote themselves fully to their deities still has many blessings to draw upon to help and protect themselves. If they have anything for their faith, it is their deities protection.

Role: Defender
Power Source: Divine
Power: You gain the Steadfast Faith Power

All Devouts gain training in Religion.

Level 1 Power:
Level 2 Power:
Level 3 Power:
Level 4 Power:
Level 5 Power:
Level 6 Power:
Level 7 Power:
Level 8 Power:
Level 9 Power:
Level 10 Power:

Bardic
2011-02-27, 01:26 PM
If I may begin at the beginning (of the list):

Diplomat

For those with a quick wit and an inspiring presence, conquering life is a matter of choosing the right words. Bards and warlords are not the only charismatic personalities by any means. Any class, be it fighter, wizard or rogue, can become a diplomat as long as they have some measure of leadership.

Diplomats are vital to any society: they settle disputes, prompt great actions, and help to connect people. As adventurers, diplomats are valuable for their ability to coerce hostiles into a more agreeable disposition, allowing their fellows to evade danger. Many frontier towns have seasoned diplomats in place to aid in keeping the various races of the borderlands friendly, and big cities have them by the score to ease the tensions between nobles or warring states.

Diplomats are most likely to be members of classes with good charisma scores and inherent leadership qualities, but they can take many forms. A diplomat fighter could be a likable warrior with a propensity for settling problems without violence: a wizard, an enchanter or illusionist who utilizes magic to aid in his conversation; even a barbarian could be a savage, but insightful, aid or advisor to a chieftain, or even a chieftain themselves.

Role: Leader
Power Source: Martial

Diplomat Features

1st Level Encounter

Commanding Voice Diplomat Feature
You shout out a word of command, startling your enemies even as your allies spring into action.
Encounter * Martial, Sonic
Standard Action Close burst 10
Target: All enemies in burst
Attack: Prime ability modifier vs. Will
Hit: All targets grant combat advantage until the end of your next turn.
Effect: All allies in burst gain a +2 bonus to the defense of their choice until the end of your next turn.

Nu
2011-02-27, 05:02 PM
WITCH DOCTOR
"Dat be a bad thing ya done, mon. Now the spirits gonna take their revenge."

There are many kinds of natural spirits, and by chance, you happen to be attuned to the more malignant ones. While many would simply attempt to reform or banish these spirits from the world, you realize that they have their uses--so long as they are carefully controlled, and directed at despoilers. Perhaps these spirits are not innately bad, but simply lacking proper guidance, and lashing out at anyone who comes near rather than the ones for which they bear actual malice.

Your connection to the natural world makes it likely that you did not grow up in the city. Rather, you have a connection to a nomadic tribe, or you are a hermit whom travelers tell strange and exaggerated tales of in nearby civilization. Whatever the case, your dealings with these spirits gives off a real bad "vibe" even to those not attuned to the spirits--your aura is practically dripping with ill intent. Because of this, most people would prefer to avoid you.

With that said, there are many who could have come to appreciate your talents, and understand that perhaps your methods aren't all bad. Once word of your doings gets out, it could earn a real name for you, for good or for ill.

WITCH DOCTOR TRAITS
Secondary Role: Controller
Power Source: Primal
Granted Power: You gain the malignant hex power.

WITCH DOCTOR POWERS

Malignant Hex Witch Doctor Feature
You place a stiff, damning hex on your foe that affects its nearby allies.
Encounter ✦ Implement, Primal
Standard Action (Ranged 10)
Target: One creature
Attack: Primary ability vs. Will
Hit: 1d8 + ability modifier damage. Until the end of your next turn, enemies that begin their turns adjacent to the target take 1d8 damage.
Level 11: 2d8 + ability modifier damage, 2d8 damage to adjacent enemies.
Level 21: 3d8 + ability modifier damage, 3d8 damage to adjacent enemies.

LEVEL 2 UTILITY EVOCATION

Spirit Ward Witch Doctor Utility 2
You conjure an imposing ward that stifles the movement of nearby enemies.
Encounter ✦ Conjuration, Primal
Minor Action (Ranged 10)
Effect: You conjure a spirit ward in an unoccupied square in range that lasts until the end of your next turn. Creatures that enter a space adjacent to the spirit ward stop moving and must use a different action to resume moving.

LEVEL 3 ENCOUNTER EVOCATION

Voodoo Cocktail Witch Doctor Attack 3
Reciting an alchemical recipe, you gesture with your staff and conjure a flask of some green, bubbling concoction which flies through the air and strikes your foe, spreading the volatile mixture all over its body.
Encounter ✦ Implement, Primal
Standard Action (Ranged 5)
Target: One creature
Attack: Primary ability vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + ability modifier damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn. At the end of your next turn, choose one enemy within 3 squares of the target (even if it's dead). That enemy is dazed until the end of your following turn.
Level 13
As above, but 3d6 + ability modifier damage, and the target is stunned instead of dazed.
Level 23
As above, but 4d6 + ability modifier damage, and the target and the enemy within 3 squares of it are stunned instead of dazed.

I may add more later!

Lord Raziere
2011-03-22, 11:23 PM
Elementalist

There are sorcerers who with their direct genetic lineage to the elements of the world, wield devastating power and destruction. You tap into similar elemental destruction, but more focused. When you become an elementalist you choose the element that most resonates with your soul and from then on you call upon it to help you in battle.

You may fire-wielding barbarian, a cool-as-ice fighter, a rogue wielding necrotic energy, or maybe you are a bard who can somehow tap into the radiant energy of the Astral Planes, or a priest capable of tapping into elemental poison or acid. You might even be a paladin who wields lightning in the name of Kord, or a wizard that backs their spells with psychic energy.

Whatever the challenge, you back it up with the raw elemental power that is most in tune with your soul....

When you take this theme. Choose a type of elemental damage:
radiant, necrotic, poison, acid, fire, cold, lightning, thunder, psychic or sonic.
All Elementalist powers deal that type of elemental damage.

Role: Striker
Power Source: Arcane
Power: You gain the Elemental Strike Power

Level 1 Power:
Level 2 Power:
Level 3 Power:
Level 4 Power:
Level 5 Power:
Level 6 Power:
Level 7 Power:
Level 8 Power:
Level 9 Power:
Level 10 Power:

Hyooz
2011-03-22, 11:50 PM
Maybe it would help to begin with a definition of terms.

What is a "Theme" supposed to be? Having not experienced the original thread, I can only look at what's here, and these look a lot like classes. Are they meant to be? What's the difference?

Lord Raziere
2011-03-22, 11:52 PM
Maybe it would help to begin with a definition of terms.

What is a "Theme" supposed to be? Having not experienced the original thread, I can only look at what's here, and these look a lot like classes. Are they meant to be? What's the difference?

I am assuming that you already know what a Theme is, and that you wouldn't really design one unless you knew. If you want to know, go get the 4E Dark sun campaign setting book, it explains what themes are.

Hyooz
2011-03-22, 11:55 PM
I am assuming that you already know what a Theme is, and that you wouldn't really design one unless you knew. If you want to know, go get the 4E Dark sun campaign setting book, it explains what themes are.

Yeah, this is just me being behind a few books. Ignore me.

RTGoodman
2011-03-22, 11:58 PM

Themes are a mechanic introduced in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting. As originally described, they're like a "third leg" of character creation: instead of a race and a class defining your character, you have a race, a class, AND a theme that supplements your class or gives you some variety. To use that setting as an example. You can have a Half-Giant Fighter, but he might have the Wasteland Nomad theme if he was raised in the wilds, or the Gladiator theme if he is an escaped Gladiator, or the Templar theme if he was an enforcer for a terrible Sorcerer-King.

Raziere: This is something I'd be very interested in. I've been putting together a little project like this anyway as a potential article submission for Dragon. If I don't hear back about those, I'll post 'em here. In the meantime, I might come up with some other neat ones.

EDIT: I forgot that WotC doesn't like submissions "updating" material from older editions. So look forward to some new themes for the three orders of the Knights of Solamnia from the Dragonlance setting, and maybe some other stuff.

Lord Raziere
2011-03-23, 08:48 AM
Commoner

You were of common birth. A few years ago, people would've thought you just another peasant working in the fields or hard working man in the city. You have risen above your heritage to claim your destiny, with your innate street-smart that no noble would possess and knowledge of how the how the world truly works, you may be down to earth but that doesn't stop you from claiming greatness.

You may a fighter who started as peasant that picked up a sword to help the militia, a brawler who came across hidden arcane books on pure luck or through illegal curiosity. Maybe you became a barbarian by killing the tribe that kidnapped you? or a bard when one your the-future mentor recognized your talent for singing. Whatever you are now, your roots extend into the common people that you help around you.

You back your usual powers and attacks with pure and raw commoner fisticuffs and dirty fighting, from headbutting, hitting the weak spots, tripping and general brawling. With your fists and your feet alone you prove that greatness is not inherited.

Role: Defender
Power Source: Martial
Power: You receive the One-Two Punch power

Level 1 Power:
Level 2 Power:
Level 3 Power:
Level 4 Power:
Level 5 Power:
Level 6 Power:
Level 7 Power:
Level 8 Power:
Level 9 Power:
Level 10 Power:

Bardic
2011-03-23, 05:33 PM
Ah, it's good to see this thread is starting to go somewhere. Anyway, here's my latest contribution:

Oracle

The world is full of secrets. Mere mortals can only behold that which is before them, most living in ignorance of the lands and peoples beyond their doorsteps, or the possibilities to come the next day. Some, however, hold the gift of sight.
Sight is the ability to divine the future and the present- to see what is miles away or, even, what tomorrow holds. A rare few across the planes can use such powers, and they often keep them hidden to ensure their own safety. The sight is both prized and feared far and wide. Some believe it is a blessing of the gods. For others... it is their curse.
Regardless of its benevolence or malevolence, oracles, as those with the sight are called, attribute their abilities to the deities. Occasionally, a god will choose to favor a mortal of great piety or prowess with offspring beyond the norm, able to see visions and discern lost knowledge with ease. Thus is an oracle born. Any god can bestow oracular power upon a mortal, regardless of that mortal's faith in the god or not. Good oracles chosen by evil gods are as common as those already faithful to the powers of darkness, and vice versa.
An oracle can take up any occupation, for the sight is a boon to any and all. A rogue may use it to pinpoint and enemy's weak spot, a wizard to collect arcane knowledge, a fighter to foretell an incoming assault before it occurs. In combat, oracles often seem to move with supernatural grace, evading blows by a hair while rising to meet their enemies' advances before the foes themselves realize what they're thinking.

Role: Controller
Power Source: Divine
Granted Power: Foretell

Foretell Oracle Feature 1
You glance a moment ahead into your opponent's futures, adjusting your stratagem to best seal their fates.
Encounter ✦ Divine
Minor Action Close burst 5
Target: Each enemy in burst
Effect: Each target gains vulnerable 2 to your attacks and to the attacks of all allies in the burst until the end of your next turn.
11th Level: The vulnerability increases to 4.
21st Level: The vulnerability increases to 6.