PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Hidecarved Dragon (Dragon PrC/Redux/PEACH)

Cardea
2011-02-26, 10:49 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/lemuelrocksalot/classes/DRAC/HidecarvedDragon.png
"Child, you cannot fathom the powers my discipline and training have given me."

Hidecarved dragons are members of an enigmatic order of dragons and half-dragons. Their name comes from the markings engraved on their scales, which grant them incredible mystical protection. Dragons of the hidecarved order resemble monks in their strict discipline, dedication to personal perfection, and mystical transcendence.

Most hidecarved dragons are true dragons, since many drakes, landwyrms, wyverns, and other creatures of the dragon type lack the thick, heavy scales necessary to receive the mystical engravings of the order. A half-dragon can become a hidecarved dragon only if its nondragon parent had very significant natural armor, although some halfdragon/ half-giants have been known to use magic to thicken their hides sufficiently to qualify to join this order.

Hidecarved dragons do not build monasteries, but they do gather in small groups called “lauths.” These tiny communities of three to five dragons share a large territory and come together only occasionally, but will gather quickly to help if one member of the lauth is threatened.

Requirements
Race: Any Dragon, including Half-Dragons or Dragonborn.
Alignment: Any lawful.
Natural Armor Bonus: +5
Base Save Bonus: +6 Will
Feat: Iron Will

Hit Die: d12
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Class Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Class Abilities
1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|Chosen Path of Marking
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Expel the Influence
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3|Expel the Outside Elements
4th|+4|+4|+4|+4|Path Advancement the First
5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|Expel the Blow
6th|+6|+5|+5|+5|Expel the Suppression
7th|+7|+5|+5|+5|Path Advancement the Second
8th|+8|+6|+6|+6|Expel the Arcane
9th|+9|+6|+6|+6|Expel the Outside Elements
10th|+10|+7|+7|+7|Path Mastery[/table]

Chosen Path of Marking: As all those of Dragonblood come from different families, not all markings are the same. Upon taking first level in this class, a Hidecarved Dragon chooses one Path, choosing a set of markings special for his path, granting him unique powers.

Ocuir: Your first markings on your Path center in on your eyes, crown and ears. You gain a bonus equal to your Hidecarved Dragon level to Spot, Search and Listen checks.
Austrat: Your first set of markings form across your wings, strengthening them. You gain a bonus equal to your Hidecarved Dragon level times ten to your flight speed.You may only take this Path if you have a Natural Flight speed.
Thrae: Your first set of markings spread across your mouth, neck and chest, reinforcing your inner element. The DC to resist your Breath Weapon increases by one for every two levels you take in this class. The range of your Breath Weapon increases by five feet for each level you have in this class as well. You may only take this Path if you have a Natural Breath Attack.
Vargach: Your first set of markings cover your natural attacks, strengthening the muscles and sharpening their edge. Any natural attacks you possess gains a bonus to attack rolls equal to half your Hidecarved Dragon levels and all your natural attacks increase their damage die by one step. You may only take this Path if you have Natural Attacks.

Expel the Influence: Your discipline has spread, influencing your biological make up; strengthening it. You are now immune to Poisons of all kinds.

Expel the Outside Elements: Your flesh has been exposed to the elements of the world, and has learned to keep them out. Each time you gain this ability, choose one Element you do not have a vulnerability to. You are now immune to that energy type. At 9th level, you choose another element to become immune to.

Path Advancement the First: Your focus on your path advances, giving you more power in your chosen markings.

Ocuir: The markings first brought onto you giving you heightened powers of sense expand now grow in power, sharpening your mind and your body. Upon taking your fourth Hidecarved Dragon level, the markings across eyes, crown and ears expand, spreading across the section of your back covering your spine. You gain a bonus to all saves equal to half your Hidecarved Dragon levels, rounded down.
Austrat: The markings first brought onto you giving you stronger Wing strength now grow in power, allowing you to avoid the most catastrophic of attacks. Upon taking your fourth Hidecarved Dragon level, the markings on your Wings expand, spreading across your arms and legs. You gain a bonus to your Reflex saves equal to your Hidecarved Dragon levels.
Thrae: The markings first brought onto you giving you more ferocious breath now grow in power, allowing you to withstand the harshest of internal harm. Upon taking your fourth Hidecarved Dragon level, the markings across your mouth, neck and chest expand, spreading across your abdomen. You gain a bonus to your Fortitude saves equal to your Hidecarved Dragon levels.
Vargach: The markings first brought onto you giving you might in combat now grow in power, allowing your will be unbroken. Upon taking your fourth Hidecarved Dragon level, the markings across your natural weapons spread, forming symbols of power on your, if you have them, hands, tail and jaw. You gain a bonus to your Will saves equal to your Hidecarved Dragon levels.

Expel the Blow: You skin has hardened from combat, now more resistant to the harm that your foes may wish upon you. You gain Damage Reduction equal to half your Hidecarved Dragon levels. If you already have Damage Reduction when you gain this ability, it improves by three.

Expel the Suppression: Your discipline has passed on to your mind, giving you the ability to shrug off those who wish to control your might. You gain Mettle. If you already have Mettle upon taking this level, you instead gain Improved Mettle.

Path Advancement the Second: Your focus on your path advances, giving you more power in your chosen markings.

Ocuir: The markings of your path are soon mastered, giving you increasing power. Upon taking your 7th level in Hidecarved Dragon, your markings open up the world to you. You permanently gain the benefits of Greater Arcane Sight. Additionally, you may use Identify on any Magic Item, with no limit to how many times you use it, with its casting time reduced by a number equal to your Knowledge (Arcana) modifier in minutes.
Austrat: The markings of your path are soon mastered, giving you increasing power. Upon taking your 7th level in Hidecarved Dragon, your markings give you a freedom most land stuck, and even some flying, creatures wish they had in flight. You are permanently under the effect of Freedom of Movement, and your Maneuverability increases by one step.
Thrae: The markings of your path are soon mastered, giving you increasing power. Upon taking your 7th level in Hidecarved Dragon, your markings warp your organs, allowing your Breath to come stronger. Whenever you use your Breath Weapon, reduce the amount of time you have to wait before using it again by one round for each die you have to roll, minimum one round on each roll. You also increase the amount of damage done by your Breath Weapon by 3d6.
Vargach: The markings of your path are soon mastered, giving you increasing power. Upon taking your 7th level in Hidecarved Dragon, your markings warp your Natural Weapons, allowing them to strike with more ferocity. You gain the benefits of Improved Critical with all your Natural Weapons. In addition, your critical hits with your Natural Weapons can now affect creatures normally immune to critical hits. This does not allow you to bypass Critical Immunity from other sources other than race; for example, you still couldn't bypass the Heavy Fortification enchantment.

Expel the Arcane: Your flesh, as it grows in power, learns to block out powers which would harm you. Upon taking your second level in this class, you gain Spell Resistance equal to your Hidecarved Dragon level plus your Hit Dice. If you already possess some form of Spell Resistance, it increases by one for every two Hidecarved Dragon levels you possess.

Path Mastery: Your dedication to your Path is extraordinary; your name whispered amongst even members of your kind. Upon reaching 10th level in this class, you choose one of the following Markings, representative of your power. Additionally, you may choose one Path ability from Chosen Path of Marking that you did not take originally, that you qualify for, and gain its benefits.

Ocuir: You gain the benefits of Blindsight out a number of feet equal to your Charisma Modifier times ten. Additionally, you can see invisible creatures, as per the See Invisibility Spell.
Austrat: You may attack using your wings at any time during flight, even during special moves such as Wingstorm and Hover. Additionally, whenever you attack with your wings, you now deal one and a half times your strength modifier on any damage or attack rolls made with them.
Thrae: Your Breath weapon now deals two additional points of damage per die, and can now affect things normally immune to its specific type of damage, but only dealing half as much damage it would normally. Whenever you roll damage against a creature normally immune to your Breath Weapon, divide the result of the roll by two.
Vargach: Your reach with all natural weapons increases by five feet. Additionally, choose one type of Natural Attack you have. You now use one and a half times your strength modifier on any damage or attack rolls made with them.

LOTRfan
2011-02-26, 10:58 PM
Wow, I really like this prestige class. Very well made. I do have a few questions, though:

1) Does a flight speed attained via feats count as a "natural" flight speed?
2) You mention that in order to become immune to a certain type of energy, you have to have been vulnerable to it. Do you mean vulnerable, as in you can take damage from it, or do you mean having a vulnerability, meaning you take 50% extra damage from it?

Cardea
2011-02-26, 11:01 PM
Wow, I really like this prestige class. Very well made. I do have a few questions, though:
Thank you.

1) Does a flight speed attained via feats count as a "natural" flight speed?
2) You mention that in order to become immune to a certain type of energy, you have to have been vulnerable to it. Do you mean vulnerable, as in you can take damage from it, or do you mean having a vulnerability, meaning you take 50% extra damage from it?
1) Yes.
2) Vulnerability. Trying to stop people from using this and using it as a simple means to remove their vulnerability to [x] element.

OH GOD I FORGOT TO DO SKILLS.

LOTRfan
2011-02-26, 11:03 PM
Skills are important. :smallsmile:

Also, where is the hit dice? I might have just missed it, but I can't seem to find it.

Cardea
2011-02-26, 11:05 PM
Skills are important. :smallsmile:

Also, where is the hit dice? I might have just missed it, but I can't seem to find it.

They were hanging out with the skills.

unosarta
2011-02-26, 11:08 PM
Just honestly looking at this prestige class, it doesn't look like it would be fun to play. Certainly, this is not an insult to the prestige class, the fluff and concept are wonderful, however, the actual class features are quite lacking.

All of the class features essentially add up to really passive abilities. "Expel the X" is passive; most, if not all of the Path abilities are passive. Even when you get path mastery, the abilities are passive. There is so much potential here, but it looks like one would simply only be able to do what they could essentially have done before. I was expecting something like being able to attack midflight, able to use your breath weapon midflight, skirmish like abilities, just from the Austrat path. Instead, you gain a bonus to speed, a bonus to a save, better maneuverability, and some minor bonuses during storms and better wing damage.

None of these things add new options. None of these things make the character more interesting. None of them mean that I would intentionally join this class.

Cardea
2011-02-26, 11:14 PM
Just honestly looking at this prestige class, it doesn't look like it would be fun to play. Certainly, this is not an insult to the prestige class, the fluff and concept are wonderful, however, the actual class features are quite lacking.
Thank you for the honesty.

All of the class features essentially add up to really passive abilities. "Expel the X" is passive; most, if not all of the Path abilities are passive. Even when you get path mastery, the abilities are passive. There is so much potential here, but it looks like one would simply only be able to do what they could essentially have done before. I was expecting something like being able to attack midflight, able to use your breath weapon midflight, skirmish like abilities, just from the Austrat path. Instead, you gain a bonus to speed, a bonus to a save, better maneuverability, and some minor bonuses during storms and better wing damage.
The original Hidecarved Dragon focused on Passive Abilities, with the exception of 1/day Deathward. If you have a suggestion, I'd be more than willing to hear it. I also didn't want to give too much all at once, which is where I had trouble, with the 'Path' build-up on this.

None of these things add new options. None of these things make the character more interesting. None of them mean that I would intentionally join this class.
Nope. Again, thank you for the honesty.

unosarta
2011-02-26, 11:30 PM
Thank you for the honesty.
I really love the picture, I love your fluff, I love the format, I love the concept.

The original Hidecarved Dragon focused on Passive Abilities, with the exception of 1/day Deathward. If you have a suggestion, I'd be more than willing to hear it. I also didn't want to give too much all at once, which is where I had trouble, with the 'Path' build-up on this.
You could give the passive bonii at the same time as the actual abilities. Honestly, most of the passive ones are really not that worrying. If you really had a problem with it, you could go passive, active, passive, active, in terms of path features. The first passives make sense. Bonuses to saves are not really altogether that much worth the level. The third path bonuses are shiny, I would keep them. The final bonuses are lackluster again.

Just throwing some ideas out for each path:
Ocuir: Able to use a spot check to ignore DR/Cover/Make the opponent flatfooted? Gaze attack. Eye beams? Maybe some scry effects?

Austrat: Flight pounce? Able to make a line attack and attack every creature in the line and finish at the final distance away (imagine the dragon's wing's glowing on the edges, as he folds them into his body, and focuses on the two creatures, one behind the other. His lidless eyes stare at them, and he launches. Before the creatures even know what hit them, he is past, and they fall to the ground, the red glow of the line of his path still burning into their retinas). Create gusts of wind with their wings.

Thrae: Able to create a spread centered on yourself with your breath weapon, dealing no damage to you but damage to all enemies within X feet. Breath lazor? Runed breath that causes additional effect. Channel your breath weapon into a melee weapon or natural weapons.

Vargach: Able to swallow whole with your natural weapons. Deal extra elemental damage with your natural weapons depending on your dragon type (kind of a passive bonus I guess), natural attack flurry? Full round action to take a bite out of an opponent, eat their flesh, and heal some damage?

Nope. Again, thank you for the honesty.

No problem. I really do like this class quite a bit.

Cardea
2011-02-26, 11:44 PM
Ocuir: Able to use a spot check to ignore DR/Cover/Make the opponent flatfooted? Gaze attack. Eye beams? Maybe some scry effects?
See, this makes me angry. Not at you, but at me for being silly. This is what I was planning on giving Ocuir when I started making this class, and then promptly forgot about it come time to finish up.

Austrat: Flight pounce? Able to make a line attack and attack every creature in the line and finish at the final distance away (imagine the dragon's wing's glowing on the edges, as he folds them into his body, and focuses on the two creatures, one behind the other. His lidless eyes stare at them, and he launches. Before the creatures even know what hit them, he is past, and they fall to the ground, the red glow of the line of his path still burning into their retinas). Create gusts of wind with their wings.
Wouldn't that just be Pounce + Flyby Attack?

Thrae: Able to create a spread centered on yourself with your breath weapon, dealing no damage to you but damage to all enemies within X feet. Breath lazor? Runed breath that causes additional effect. Channel your breath weapon into a melee weapon or natural weapons.
As it is, I believe things are immune to the type of damage that their breath weapon deals as it is.
Friend was constantly telling me "MAKE THEM TURN INTO A BIGGER DRAGON THAT SHOOTS LAZERS." Nice to see people are all for the lazer dragon idea. Runed Breath? And I was trying to avoid the breath channel thing. It seems a bit... overpowered.

Vargach: Able to swallow whole with your natural weapons. Deal extra elemental damage with your natural weapons depending on your dragon type (kind of a passive bonus I guess), natural attack flurry? Full round action to take a bite out of an opponent, eat their flesh, and heal some damage?
Swallow Whole would be viable for Dragons, not Half-Dragons or Dragonborn, given the size.
Again, elemental damage to natural weapons is something I was trying to avoid.
And that seems like its branching out of Dragon territory and into Devourer or Vampire territory.

unosarta
2011-02-26, 11:56 PM
See, this makes me angry. Not at you, but at me for being silly. This is what I was planning on giving Ocuir when I started making this class, and then promptly forgot about it come time to finish up.
No problem. Glad I could help.

Wouldn't that just be Pounce + Flyby Attack?
Similar, but Pounce and Flyby Attack cannot be used together, and pounce gives you a penalty to armor class because of the charge. Also, because it is a line attack, and then the dragon ends up at the other side, there are no attacks of opportunity. Also, it would be flavored cooler. :smalltongue:

As it is, I believe things are immune to the type of damage that their breath weapon deals as it is.
Friend was constantly telling me "MAKE THEM TURN INTO A BIGGER DRAGON THAT SHOOTS LAZERS." Nice to see people are all for the lazer dragon idea. Runed Breath? And I was trying to avoid the breath channel thing. It seems a bit... overpowered.
Most things might be. Then give them an ability to ignore the first X points of Energy Resistance. Lazers make everything better. Case in point; warlock.
Like, it has the runes that inscribe the dragon flowing through the acid/ice/fire/electricity/gas, causing an additional effect (I didn't have an idea for that effect, which is why I left it intentionally vague).

Honestly, breath weapon to natural attacks is really not that strong. Especially since you would be using your breath weapon for 1d4 rounds, and the breath weapons would probably do more damage to multiple enemies but this way you can avoid killing allies without using "Sculpt Breath" and you can focus on one person if there is only one enemy.

Swallow Whole would be viable for Dragons, not Half-Dragons or Dragonborn, given the size.
Again, elemental damage to natural weapons is something I was trying to avoid.
And that seems like its branching out of Dragon territory and into Devourer or Vampire territory.
True... maybe something like Improved Grab? Elemental damage to natural weapons isn't that strong, and it adds some interesting stuff to the character.

It would be more branching out of Dragon territory and into Vampire territory if you were doing Constitution damage. As it is, the dragons hunt for sustenance. They have large jaws and claws for sustenance. They need to eat. Does it not make sense that the character can eat their opponents flesh and gains some benefits?

Cardea
2011-02-27, 12:14 AM
Similar, but Pounce and Flyby Attack cannot be used together, and pounce gives you a penalty to armor class because of the charge. Also, because it is a line attack, and then the dragon ends up at the other side, there are no attacks of opportunity. Also, it would be flavored cooler. :smalltongue:
Seriously? That's odd.

Most things might be. Then give them an ability to ignore the first X points of Energy Resistance. Lazers make everything better. Case in point; warlock.
Like, it has the runes that inscribe the dragon flowing through the acid/ice/fire/electricity/gas, causing an additional effect (I didn't have an idea for that effect, which is why I left it intentionally vague).
So bonus ability tacked onto breath weapon, based on what energy type it is? Wouldn't that just be a passive effect?
And that gets terribly complicated. Way too many breath weapon types.

Honestly, breath weapon to natural attacks is really not that strong. Especially since you would be using your breath weapon for 1d4 rounds, and the breath weapons would probably do more damage to multiple enemies but this way you can avoid killing allies without using "Sculpt Breath" and you can focus on one person if there is only one enemy.
+Xd6 to Natural Weapons, on all attacks made with them, is pretty powerful. Iteratives get nasty.

True... maybe something like Improved Grab? Elemental damage to natural weapons isn't that strong, and it adds some interesting stuff to the character.

It would be more branching out of Dragon territory and into Vampire territory if you were doing Constitution damage. As it is, the dragons hunt for sustenance. They have large jaws and claws for sustenance. They need to eat. Does it not make sense that the character can eat their opponents flesh and gains some benefits?
Improved Grab would be an option, yeah.

Yes, but a lot things need to go out and hunt meat to eat. I mention Vampire because of the "Hit-and-recover-health-instantly" type of thing.

unosarta
2011-02-27, 12:20 AM
Seriously? That's odd.
Yeah, it is kind of lame. The way that Flyby Attack is worded is also reaaaaally bad.

So bonus ability tacked onto breath weapon, based on what energy type it is? Wouldn't that just be a passive effect?
And that gets terribly complicated. Way too many breath weapon types.
Rather a single effect. Also, think of it like this; I deal more damage. I cause a status condition. Which do you think is going to be more interesting tactically? Also, you could always just extend the action to full round and tack on some extra damage to show that it is really powerful.

+Xd6 to Natural Weapons, on all attacks made with them, is pretty powerful. Iteratives get nasty.
... While sacrificing your actual breath weapon for the duration. And you can only do it every 1d4 rounds. That honestly isn't that great. Psionics can do higher damage than that easy.

Improved Grab would be an option, yeah.

Yes, but a lot things need to go out and hunt meat to eat. I mention Vampire because of the "Hit-and-recover-health-instantly" type of thing.

Yeah, but the idea of biting something to regain health is not unknown to Dragons, and not Vampire only. It is merely representing the increased digestive system of the Half-Dragon/Dragonborn/Dragon.

NineThePuma
2011-02-27, 02:21 AM
And suddenly, Kobolds start turning up with all these carvings in their body.

It wouldn't exactly be optimized, but a Dragonwrought Kobold can qualify as well, and that just makes things... interesting.

LOTRfan
2011-02-27, 09:25 AM
Actually, Dragonborn qualify and they merely have the Dragonblood subtype. So, standard kobolds could probably qualify as well, provided they increase their natural armor to a sufficient amount.

Cardea
2011-02-27, 10:15 AM
Yeah, it is kind of lame. The way that Flyby Attack is worded is also reaaaaally bad.
As are most things from WotC. Hooray! :smallfrown:

Rather a single effect. Also, think of it like this; I deal more damage. I cause a status condition. Which do you think is going to be more interesting tactically? Also, you could always just extend the action to full round and tack on some extra damage to show that it is really powerful.
So, higher breath damage for longer wait time? Intriguing.

... While sacrificing your actual breath weapon for the duration. And you can only do it every 1d4 rounds. That honestly isn't that great. Psionics can do higher damage than that easy.
Psionics can do all kinds of crazy things as is.
And, assuming that something has two claws to hit with, and a breath weapon dealing 4d6 damage, making it around 5d6 (Guessing here.) per attack. 4d6 Breath weapon damage on a Dragonborn is achieved at level twelve, and with Thrae, it'd boosted up to 8d6 per hit. That's an average of 28 points of damage plus strength, per hit. Yes, Psions can do far more damage, but this is something I can use an unlimited times per day, even if I have to wait, at most, three rounds to use. This is also adding in the fact that iteratives are commonplace for natural attacks.

Yeah, but the idea of biting something to regain health is not unknown to Dragons, and not Vampire only. It is merely representing the increased digestive system of the Half-Dragon/Dragonborn/Dragon.
Except if you look at any effect where you gain health upon doing damage, it's almost alays tied in to Vampirism, not Dragons. Eating is tied in to regaining health for all creatures. Not biting and recovering health.

unosarta
2011-02-27, 10:38 AM
As are most things from WotC. Hooray! :smallfrown:
Yeah...

So, higher breath damage for longer wait time? Intriguing.
Higher breath damage and an effect (such as Blinded, Prone, Deafened, Entangled, Exhausted, or Knocked Down, etc).

Psionics can do all kinds of crazy things as is.
And, assuming that something has two claws to hit with, and a breath weapon dealing 4d6 damage, making it around 5d6 (Guessing here.) per attack. 4d6 Breath weapon damage on a Dragonborn is achieved at level twelve, and with Thrae, it'd boosted up to 8d6 per hit. That's an average of 28 points of damage plus strength, per hit. Yes, Psions can do far more damage, but this is something I can use an unlimited times per day, even if I have to wait, at most, three rounds to use. This is also adding in the fact that iteratives are commonplace for natural attacks.
You could always increase the cooldown. Instead of 1d4, it could be 1d4+4, meaning that at the very least you will be waiting 5 rounds after using it. This makes it more of a strategic choice as to whether you will simply breathe your attack, or use it with natural weapons or manufactured ones.

Except if you look at any effect where you gain health upon doing damage, it's almost alays tied in to Vampirism, not Dragons. Eating is tied in to regaining health for all creatures. Not biting and recovering health.
I suppose. I was just trying to come up with an idea.

Lord_Gareth
2011-02-27, 10:54 AM
May I respectfully say: screw the established fluff. Vampires can stuff it, hey? I love the idea of a dragon regenerating after eating some fool.

Cardea
2011-02-27, 01:07 PM
Higher breath damage and an effect (such as Blinded, Prone, Deafened, Entangled, Exhausted, or Knocked Down, etc).
Status effects are kinda meh in my opinion. Far too easy to ignore them. Maybe... reduction in the cost of Metabreath Feats?

You could always increase the cooldown. Instead of 1d4, it could be 1d4+4, meaning that at the very least you will be waiting 5 rounds after using it. This makes it more of a strategic choice as to whether you will simply breathe your attack, or use it with natural weapons or manufactured ones.
Hrm. I could make it last a number of rounds equal to someone's Hidecarved Dragon levels, and during that time their normal Breath Weapon is reduced in power, since they're putting so much into their Natural Weaponry.

I suppose. I was just trying to come up with an idea.
Mhm. It's hard to figure out something to- OH MY GOD REND.

May I respectfully say: screw the established fluff. Vampires can stuff it, hey? I love the idea of a dragon regenerating after eating some fool.
Rule of Cool is overridden by Rule of Dragon.

togapika
2011-02-27, 01:47 PM
Now I'm just imagining a character taking this until he can qualify for the other Hidecarved Dragon PRC....

Cardea
2011-02-27, 02:03 PM
Now I'm just imagining a character taking this until he can qualify for the other Hidecarved Dragon PRC....
Sense would dictate that a campaign would use this one, or the one from Draconomicon. Not both.

unosarta
2011-02-27, 03:54 PM
Status effects are kinda meh in my opinion. Far too easy to ignore them. Maybe... reduction in the cost of Metabreath Feats?
The only effect that can outright get rid of any status condition is Iron Heart Surge, which is honestly, even without the stupid reading, a really, really, really powerful effect for its level. Honestly, status effects like Exhausting are pretty good, especially against melee monsters. Slow, Daze or Nauseated are hard to get rid of, and practically nothing has immunity to Slow or Nauseated.

Hrm. I could make it last a number of rounds equal to someone's Hidecarved Dragon levels, and during that time their normal Breath Weapon is reduced in power, since they're putting so much into their Natural Weaponry.
That might work.

Mhm. It's hard to figure out something to- OH MY GOD REND.
Heheh, can't believe I forgot of that.

Rule of Cool is overridden by Rule of Dragon.
YES. :smallbiggrin: