PDA

View Full Version : "Genius" brand graphics tablet

Krugg
2011-02-27, 12:22 AM
I just wanted to know; has anyone used one of them before? I'm looking at the G-Pen M712X

http://www.geniustablet.com/p-10359-G-Pen-M712

I know some people may start screaming "DON'T BUY ANYTHING OTHER THAN WACOM", bu unfortunately I need something decent that won't cost me like AU$600

Skeppio
2011-02-27, 12:24 AM
Dunno about that brand, but I have a Bamboo that i picked up at Harvey Norman for under a hundred. It's small, and probably not as powerful as the other options, but it's cheap and serves its purpose for me.

And yeah, my Uni teacher gave me the whole "Don't buy anything other than Wacom" crap as well. Those things are outrageously expensive and I couldn't find a store that stocked them, okay? :smallsigh:

Krugg
2011-02-27, 12:48 AM
Dunno about that brand, but I have a Bamboo that i picked up at Harvey Norman for under a hundred. It's small, and probably not as powerful as the other options, but it's cheap and serves its purpose for me.

And yeah, my Uni teacher gave me the whole "Don't buy anything other than Wacom" crap as well. Those things are outrageously expensive and I couldn't find a store that stocked them, okay? :smallsigh:

Well the Bamboo is a Wacom product...

But they're crazy small, and I need a bit more freedom. This "Genius" one gives me 12x7 inch drawing space

Nibleswick
2011-02-27, 03:50 AM
If it suits your needs, go for it. (if it don't work out warn the rest of us:smalltongue:)

Dispozition
2011-02-27, 03:58 AM
Genius is the leading 'no name' brand of graphics tablets. I will say that they aren't as durable or as good as Wacom, but if you're on a budget, they are the best option.

The most significant problem you'll find is that it might start dying after a year or so thanks to the lesser build quality, depending on how you treat it. At least, that's what mine did (:

Flickerdart
2011-02-27, 11:49 AM
It uses Finepoint technology, which requires you to replace the pen's battery (unlike Wacom, which has no battery in their pens). Finepoint is also a lot worse in quality and precision.
Also, according to Wiki, they may or may not run their factories as sweatshops. So that's a thing too.

Fri
2011-02-27, 12:41 PM
I use a genius tablet and it works fine and dandy. Never had any other tablet, so I don't know how to compare it to other brand.

Krugg
2011-02-28, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys :)

I don't usually trust wikipedia, to be honest. A lot of their sources are kinda bodgy. But that said, I've taken the aspects about the pen being a little less quality on board. Fact is though, it seems relatively decent from what I've read elsewhere and from here, and being less than a quarter of the price of a similar sized Wacom, I think I'm gonna purchase it.