PDA

View Full Version : Musical Instrument Players itP

Maralais
2011-02-27, 03:39 PM
So, I realized that we were lacking a thread for people who play music, so I thought I could start one. People could post what they play and where they are, which could help those who want to play with people, or people could just ask questions on and on.

And here comes the first question:
I play guitar at a decent level(read: knows a scale or two, has some speed problems but usually solves after working a lot) and I have recently bought a semi-hollow guitar for my own, so you can say things just got real. I usually have problems about finding exercises or what I should learn now, so I fear I'll halt at this level. What to do?

Dvil
2011-02-27, 04:04 PM
This thread seems to crop up every now and then. I think this is the third incarnation of it I've seen. Always good to see who posts that I didn't see in the previous ones though. I play trumpet; got a merit on my Grade 8 exam in january. I'm in a few bands, including one which is on Youtube (see sig!).

KingOfLaughter
2011-02-27, 05:20 PM
I can play Tuba at a basic level. I can play guitar rather well, and I'm teaching myself how to play the keyboard. =D

I can also sort of play bass, and drums.

Xyk
2011-02-27, 05:21 PM
I play several instruments. Ukulele is my most recent favorite, and I usually have it in hand, but I also play piano, sax, and a little guitar. Also I sing in the school choir.

When learning guitar, I just learned a bunch of chords and looked a song or two up on the google. That's about where my guitar-playing slowed down. I know like 8 or 10 chords, but have trouble getting between them quickly. There's too many strings!

Vaynor
2011-02-27, 05:25 PM
I can play every instrument, just not well.

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-27, 05:25 PM
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

KingOfLaughter
2011-02-27, 05:30 PM
I play several instruments. Ukulele is my most recent favorite, and I usually have it in hand, but I also play piano, sax, and a little guitar. Also I sing in the school choir.

When learning guitar, I just learned a bunch of chords and looked a song or two up on the google. That's about where my guitar-playing slowed down. I know like 8 or 10 chords, but have trouble getting between them quickly. There's too many strings!

Bar Chords. =P that is all.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-02-27, 05:33 PM
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

No, and neither is horseradish.

Anyway, as one might guess from my name, I play the violin. As one might not guess from my name, I do very little fiddling, though I suppose that depends on your definition. Been playing since fifth grade (in tenth grade now), and I'm a first violin in the school orchestra, but I don't think I'm particularly skilled or anything. I hardly practice, too. Tons of fun though!

PsychedelicBard
2011-02-27, 05:37 PM
I can play the guitar and the flute, but I suck at the latter.

What's exactly your aim for guitar playing? Depending on it, I might be able to help.

13_CBS
2011-02-27, 05:37 PM
15 years of violin practice under my belt. I stopped playing once I got into college though, not a whole lot of time...

@ Dark Fiddler: just wondering, but what sort of concertos have you played so far?

Fri
2011-02-27, 05:39 PM
I wish I could play any musical instrument.

Musical instrument is the number one skill that I wished I have right now.

AshDesert
2011-02-27, 07:12 PM
I can play guitar, violin, and clarinet, though I haven't played the latter two in several years. I can also play bass guitar because of the similarities, although I'm not really good at the things that make bass different from guitar. I play in a blues band right now, although I'm a senior in high school and we're all going to different colleges, so we're pretty much done (we haven't played in a few weeks). I want to get into playing and writing different and more complex music in college, so I'm probably going to look into joining/starting either a jazz or an indie band.

Lioness
2011-02-27, 07:19 PM
Piano is about the only thing I can play really well.

I also sing, occasionally. I played flute for a while, and can still play, if not terribly well.

I also know a smattering of guitar, recorder, and harp.

Moff Chumley
2011-02-27, 08:09 PM
Bassist and keyboardist, here. Also some guitar, but not in public. :smalltongue:

I do, in fact, own the keytar in my avatar, and it's probably the best thing ever. MIDI out into an old Korg synth or something, big unison detune supersaw cheesy 80s sound, analog echo pedal or somesuch. You need a skinny tie and/or headband to really pull it off, though...

wxdruid
2011-02-27, 08:17 PM
Played the violin for years through Elementary, Junior and High School along with piano lessons. In college I learned to play the concert harp and one day (after I stop moving around) I plan to buy a smaller harp for myself. I really love how they sound.

Xyk
2011-02-27, 08:26 PM
Bar Chords. =P that is all.

Bar chords are so hard on a cheap acoustic! I've been doing the complex chords.

Em Blackleaf
2011-02-27, 08:27 PM
I can play piano, guitar and bass a little bit. I mostly sing. :P

I really want to learn violin and I've recently picked up my dad's old tenor saxophone.

I'm also in sort of a band! I write most of the lyrics, sing and play keyboards, my brother (not Krimm Blackleaf) plays guitar and composes most of it and our friend plays drums. We still need a bass player. :P

Lady Moreta
2011-02-27, 08:37 PM
I've learned a few in my life... recorder (6 years), keyboard (6 months), violin 6 months), oboe (1 year), clarinet (5 years), tenor sax (2 years)... I tried a whole lot of different instruments :smallsmile: I decided that I'm a woodwind player in the end, but the oboe gave me horrible headaches at the upper registers, so I dropped it. I played clarinet in orchestra at school and tenor sax in jazz band... I too sing, but I've never had formal lessons.

Amusingly enough, the recorder is the only one I can still pick up and play without any practice. I even sat an exam - Grade 4, passed with merit too, surprisingly since I didn't really practice til the week before the exam :smalltongue:

SDF
2011-02-27, 08:41 PM
I've been into music for as long as I can remember. Piano, trumpet, guitar, trombone, bagpipes, electronic doowhatsits, ect. I am currently working on my own noise rock/dance punk/northwest sound project. I've also been recruited to be the lead guitarist in a metal band. I totally warned these guys that I don't listen to much, or have ever played metal before. But, if they want me to come up with all their instrumentation sure why not. It's a challenge, and if it all goes terribly wrong I'm using the singer as a human shield for thrown beer bottles.

TheThan
2011-02-27, 08:45 PM
I'm learning the harmonica, I was learning the trombone, but alas, me teacher is ill and can't take on any more students, so I bowed out for his sake.

as of late I've been suffering from a split lip, which makes it hurt when i play.

RebelRogue
2011-02-27, 08:54 PM
I started out playing recorder in 3rd grade, then progressed to a keyboard for a few years. After that I went through some years not playing music at all, only to pick up the guitar at my first year in high school. Knowing standard notation and basic music theory before picking it up gave me an edge there, I think. I've stuck with the instrument since then, so I'm pretty good at guitar and therefore decent at bass too. I know my way around a keyboard and have a rudimentary idea of how to play a recorder (it's so long ago I played one, that I've probably forgotten all but the most basic stuff).

Moff Chumley
2011-02-27, 09:04 PM
I'm using the singer as a human shield for thrown beer bottles.

It's what they're there for. *sagenod*

Lady Moreta
2011-02-27, 09:38 PM
I know my way around a keyboard and have a rudimentary idea of how to play a recorder (it's so long ago I played one, that I've probably forgotten all but the most basic stuff).

Muscle memory is a wonderful thing :smallsmile: I learned recorder for about 6 years and I still occassionaly pick it up and have a tootle... I can pick the darn thing up having not really played since in over ten years and I can still play my exam pieces almost note perfect - all through muscle memory :smallsmile:

The Dark Fiddler
2011-02-27, 10:32 PM
@ Dark Fiddler: just wondering, but what sort of concertos have you played so far?

We don't play very many concertos. We do play a bit of Brandenburg to warm up occasionally, but that's the only one I can think of.

To give an idea of what we do play, our Spring concert currently consists of a Harry Potter medley, a composition focusing on the drums called Rights of Tamburo, a composition meant to sound like something you'd hear in a Renaissance Fair, and a medley of the various themes of the military branches we'll be performing together with part of the band and chorus.... and something else I can't for the life of me remember.

ScottishDragon
2011-02-27, 10:35 PM
I can play trumpet amazingly!! Just don't make me do flats or sharps and i'm good, just..memorizing the whole scale again? ugh i'm not that good. I'm also going to start taking violin lessons. Any tips?

valadil
2011-02-27, 10:37 PM
Been playing guitar for 5 or 6 years. Picked up a bass this summer. Oddly I had a small part in a gig with the bass last weekend, but I have yet to play guitar in a band. I think guitar players are too damn common and there just isn't room for them all.

Gonna be picking up a new electric soon. I have a Squier that was given to me for free because it was too beat to sell. It's great when it works, but I'm tired of the sound going out halfway through each song. If anyone wants to nerd out about electrics in the $500 range, I'm listening.

I know like 8 or 10 chords, but have trouble getting between them quickly. There's too many strings!

When you practice, make a list of chords and do the changes between them all.

For instance, try doing ACACACADADADAEAEAEAEAFAFAFAGAGAGA. Then move on to CACACACACDCDCDCDCECECECECFCFCFCFCGCGCG. Etc. That's what I did when I first started and it helped a lot. I wouldn't recommend doing too many variations of a single chord in a session. Switching between am and A is probably not necessary.

Bar chords are so hard on a cheap acoustic! I've been doing the complex chords.

Very true. Try a capo. They lower the action of the strings enough that bar chords are easier. Once you get used to them like this, remove the capo.

13_CBS
2011-02-27, 10:51 PM
We don't play very many concertos. We do play a bit of Brandenburg to warm up occasionally, but that's the only one I can think of.

To give an idea of what we do play, our Spring concert currently consists of a Harry Potter medley, a composition focusing on the drums called Rights of Tamburo, a composition meant to sound like something you'd hear in a Renaissance Fair, and a medley of the various themes of the military branches we'll be performing together with part of the band and chorus.... and something else I can't for the life of me remember.

Ah, I was actually wondering what concertos/pieces you, specifically, have played (not necessarily with accompaniment), not your orchestra. Bruch no.1? Anything by Mozart?

Moff Chumley
2011-02-27, 10:53 PM
Gonna be picking up a new electric soon. I have a Squier that was given to me for free because it was too beat to sell. It's great when it works, but I'm tired of the sound going out halfway through each song. If anyone wants to nerd out about electrics in the $500 range, I'm listening.

Yo. My favorite bass sound at the moment is an Epiphone EB-0, with a Gibson pickup. Funky as hell, if you have a good amp. If you want something more conventional, the Fender Highway One basses aren't much more than $600, and they sound and play damn good.

Icewalker
2011-02-27, 11:02 PM
I played piano for a couple years, never got very good. Didn't practice much. I absolutely love music though, and want to do more. I'm starting up guitar next quarter, and am intending to get some vocal training over the summer, because right now if there's anything I can do to make music, it's sing, and I think I'm a moderately good singer.

I've been heavily intending to start learning saxophone. Because of this guy (http://www.lackadaisycats.com/exhibit.php?exhibitid=330). And how it's basically a picture of me, but awesome. And clearly I also must learn to play sax for a 1920s speakeasy.

valadil
2011-02-27, 11:06 PM
Yo. My favorite bass sound at the moment is an Epiphone EB-0, with a Gibson pickup. Funky as hell, if you have a good amp. If you want something more conventional, the Fender Highway One basses aren't much more than $600, and they sound and play damn good.

My bad, I actually meant electric guitar. The bass I have is actually my nicest instrument and cost more than all my guitars combined. Not replacing that one anytime soon :-P

THAC0
2011-02-27, 11:14 PM
'm a professional horn player and a music teacher. I play lots of instruments.

SDF
2011-02-27, 11:24 PM
Those Epiphone Wilshires (http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEGW6) are phenomenal for the price. Most things from Eastwood (http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/)look and play like gravy. Danelectros are the end all for low output budget guitars. A small budget doesn't mean you have to compromise for your guitar in my experience.

Also, what kind of bass do you have?

Moff Chumley
2011-02-27, 11:34 PM
Don't buy Danelectro new. I don't want to go into it here, as it's not really forum-appropriate, but that company's behind a lot of pretty reprehensible stuff. :smallsigh:

Ceric
2011-02-27, 11:37 PM
I play viola. I used to play violin before I switched about four years ago, and I haven't touched it since because the extremely-similar fingerings tended to mess me up. I'd play a song and halfway through I'd realize I was on violin fingerings rather than viola :smalleek: Never had lessons, just learned in the school orchestra. Didn't practice all that much either, actually.

Icewalker
2011-02-27, 11:40 PM
Oh and I want to learn to play the glass armonica. Because it's the best instrument. :smallbiggrin:

rakkoon
2011-02-28, 04:39 AM
I took out my Irish whistle this weekend for the kids. Played a song they liked (level of difficulty was The wheels of the bus go round and round) and the public was ecstatic :smallwink:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-28, 04:49 AM
I played piano until I got tired of being the weird foreign kid who plays piano, started self-conciously speaking in tired Americanisms and playing guitar. Later on in high school, I picked up piano again, so I play both decently well at this point. I suppose I can play bass, guitar with two less strings and whatnot. I used to drum in a punk band, but I mean, punk band.

RedDeerJebediah
2011-02-28, 08:37 AM
I play piano and synthesizers and can play a bit of guitar, flute and bass. I'm not really good at anything but keyboards yet, but I'd like to improve on flute and guitar.

I'm in a beer-soaked yet artsy progressive grunge rock band. Mellotrons, hammond organs, Moog bass-sounds played through an Orange Thunderverb amplifier... that sort of thing :smallbiggrin: I'm hoping to get more into guitar effects so every option of sound-manipulation is right at the fingertips. Plus it'll be a great way to spend lots of money I don't have :smalltongue:

DeadManSleeping
2011-02-28, 09:34 AM
Like just about everyone else in the world, I play guitar. That's about it.

Maralais
2011-02-28, 10:45 AM
What's exactly your aim for guitar playing? Depending on it, I might be able to help.

I want to do some sort of a Blues-Rock-ish music, listened to Allman Brothers Band and Eric Clapton for a while, but I must say, I worship the Beatles. Though they're a bit on the pop scale of the things I guess.

The Extinguisher
2011-02-28, 02:21 PM
I play bass guitar, and I like to sing. I've still got a lot of room left for improvement, but hey, so does everyone I guess.

ForzaFiori
2011-02-28, 03:23 PM
I come from a really musical family (Mom: Piano/Guitar, Dad: Trumpet/Sax/Bass, Sister: Clarinet/Piano, Me: Guitar/Bass/Piano), so I've been teaching myself instruments, or having my parents teach me stuff, since I can remember. The only instrument that I can play that I actually own though is a bass. I have a beautiful Squier 5 string, and I play my mom's piano, and my best friends guitars.

I've also TRIED to play a flute, violin, sax, clarinet, drums, and recorder, but none really went that well. Especially not the flute. Couldn't get a sound out of it. The others only sucked cause I had no training.

Perenelle
2011-02-28, 05:21 PM
I've been playing flute for about five years now, it's pretty much my favorite thing to do. And I'm pretty good at it, or so I'm told. I've had a bazillion auditions this month, I'm glad it's finally calming down.

I also play tenor saxophone, but no where near as good as I play flute. I don't really enjoy playing it much, flute is more of my happy place.

I started out playing violin for a year when I was really little, but didn't have the coordination for it (I couldn't even hold the bow without dropping it :smalltongue: ) and then switched to piano, which I played for about six or seven years. I stopped when I started getting serious with flute because it was hard to devote so much time to both instruments, and I didn't like piano very much. I was just memorizing where my hands went, not really reading the music.

I'm also pretty set on majoring in music education once I get to college in a couple years, I think band directing and teaching other people to do something I that I love so much on a daily basis would be pretty great.

Barbin
2011-02-28, 06:15 PM
About four months ago I fell in love with an electric bass ( a Yamaha RBX-A2), and I've been playing ever since. I'm also the lead vocalist in a two-man band with a friend.

onthetown
2011-02-28, 06:15 PM
I'm mainly a fiddler, and Celtic music is my passion. My secondary instrument is the mandolin, and then (in no particular order) I also play guitar, ukelele, and piano. The latter three I've fallen out of practise with and I just know enough to get by, but fiddle and mandolin are my two best. I think my best moment was playing a concert at a music school when the entire audience got up and started to stomp and clap along with my fiddling. I haven't done any public performances since then, mostly out of shyness, but it was great.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-02-28, 07:06 PM
Ah, I was actually wondering what concertos/pieces you, specifically, have played (not necessarily with accompaniment), not your orchestra. Bruch no.1? Anything by Mozart?

Well, I don't play much beyond what I play with my Orchestra. That might change when I'm no longer in school and no longer get to play the music there. So yeah... not too many/hardly any.

PanNarrans
2011-02-28, 07:11 PM
I play piano! Unfortunately family makes it a little awkward, but I play when I can.

I just learnt Einaudi's Le Onde, and it is looovely.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-01, 12:17 AM
I play piano and synthesizers and can play a bit of guitar, flute and bass. I'm not really good at anything but keyboards yet, but I'd like to improve on flute and guitar.

I'm in a beer-soaked yet artsy progressive grunge rock band. Mellotrons, hammond organs, Moog bass-sounds played through an Orange Thunderverb amplifier... that sort of thing :smallbiggrin: I'm hoping to get more into guitar effects so every option of sound-manipulation is right at the fingertips. Plus it'll be a great way to spend lots of money I don't have :smalltongue:

Have I mentioned yet how jealous I am of your gear?

I am very jealous of your gear. :smallannoyed:

Anyhow, if you have any questions about effects, I've spent way too much of my life hanging around guitar stores and effects forums, so I can probably help. :smalltongue:

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-01, 10:17 AM
I can play piano half-decently, but I am mainly a percussionist. This is both more and less than it sounds like, since there are dozens of percussion instruments that I play, but if you can play xylophone and snare you can play just about any percussion instrument. At any rate, my favorites/ ones I am best at are the mallet instruments, and timpani. I haven't gotten much practice with set drums, but I would like to learn.

SilentNight
2011-03-01, 10:41 AM
Oh and I want to learn to play the glass armonica. Because it's the best instrument. :smallbiggrin:

But the mercury poisoning! :smalleek:
Actually, I'm pretty sure they've fixed that problem, and I could be completely wrong about it in the first place.

Anywho, I've been playing trombone for about five years now, switched from trumpet. I played piano until four years ago but then it sort of fell by the wayside when I couldn't learn to comp well and I started getting more into trombone, perfect instrument for a terrible soloist like myself. I play in my school band and a couple of conglomerate jazz big bands that I've been fortunate enough to tour Europe with.

Icewalker
2011-03-01, 01:29 PM
No, it was definitely around back then. I hope they've fixed it since :smalleek:

RedDeerJebediah
2011-03-01, 03:50 PM
Have I mentioned yet how jealous I am of your gear?

I am very jealous of your gear. :smallannoyed:

Is it wrong to be slightly proud of inducing jealousy? Because if so, I'm sorry. :smalltongue:
Do note that I don't actually own a Mellotron or a Hammond Organ, I only approximate the sounds fairly well with digital synthesizers.
Also, the Orange amplifier belongs to my guitarist, so I don't get to use it very often. When I do get the chance to use it I tend to get a bit crazy with ultra-heavy synth sounds - Orange overdrive is just insane!

Anyhow, if you have any questions about effects, I've spent way too much of my life hanging around guitar stores and effects forums, so I can probably help. :smalltongue:

I'm pretty sure about what I'll be getting. I'm thinking a few Moog pedals (Ring Mod and Control Processor, maybe FreqBox) for some semimodular capabilities and unusual effects, an EHX Memory Man analog delay and some sort of badass yet warm-sounding overdrive... I'll probably be experimenting with some guitar pedals/amps.
If you have suggestions, though, I'd love to hear them :smallsmile:

eidreff
2011-03-01, 06:24 PM
I have played classical guitar for over 25 years, but also play blues, rock/metal and anything else that might involve mooching with musicians. I aint awesome but i can play :p

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-01, 08:03 PM
Self-taught guitar. My friends think I'm hot stuff. Meh. Only been playing for... 4 years now? I haven't played violin in 2 years, but I have 10 years of training on violin. Other than that, I sing... decently well. I think I have a pretty good voice, and I love choir. Baritones win everything.

Give me a week to learn, and I could probably figure out the basics on... a lot of instruments. Music is one of my talents, it just comes naturally. Maybe it's the classical violin training, but picking up guitar was the easiest thing in the world if you've already got your fingers used to doing strange shapes, and the musical theory of scales and arpeggios and intervals gives you an edge when improving and playing. Nothing wows people quite like playing an improv blues piece, and then switching to a whole tone scale partway through. Gives the entire crowd chills, and makes them so uneasy, because the whole tone scale is just that LITTLE bit... well, uneasy.

And picking up bass is easy too. I've jammed with friends with bass, first time I ever tried to play bass, they thought I was a bassist. Obviously no fancy stuff, just regular basslines, I can't get the hang of that triple gallop-finger-bass thing, and slap bass is hard, but pick and two-finger bass is easy enough if you keep to a simple bassline, which sounds good enough already!

13_CBS
2011-03-01, 08:07 PM
S I haven't played violin in 2 years, but I have 10 years of training on violin.

Oooh...and what violin concertos and pieces have you played, good sir?

zeratul
2011-03-01, 08:26 PM
I play guitar (both acoustic and electric, primarily metal but a myriad of other genres as well) and I sing. I've been working on learning to growl for some time as well but that particular talent escapes me. I also recently started learning to play the mandolin and am enjoying it throughly.

Just out of curiosity, what guitars have you other guitar folk been using? I've currently been using this PRS (http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/prs/se_paulallender.html), which I love, and am looking into getting these (http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/fx-360sm.html) two (http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/h-1001fr.html) ESPs if I get a job.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-01, 09:17 PM
I've played... well, just what my teacher gave me from the Royal Conservatory of Music syllabus. Nothing to crazy. Last things I did were... let's see. Concertino in G Major opus 24 movement III, by Oskar Rieding, Sonatina movement II and 3, by Bohuslav Martinu, Adoration, by Felix Borowski. Um, and a Hornpipe by George Coutts and a Rustic Dance by Jean Coulthard, but I didn't end up performing those for the examination.

I have done a few bach, beethoven, mozart bits, but never a full big thing.

As for equipment, I have a Yamaha dreadnought folk guitar (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/5/3/644653.jpg) as my acoustic. (It was my mum's when she was in high school! Slightly pregnant, but wonderful volume. :smallamused:)
I also have a slightly broken Epiphone SG-400 Custom, (http://www.mrcmusic.com/Epiphone%20SG%20400%20Custom.GIF) in wonderful cream with gold hardware and 3 humbuckers. However, the wiring inside sucks, and keeps breaking. I should just get all the wiring replaced.

My current guitar is a Dot on Shaft (the company is now called Carparelli Guitars, though) Ba Dasse S2. They're a local guitar company out of Vaughn, Ont. The only (http://musicnotmischief.com/home/images/rsgallery/display/MicahFysh014.jpg.jpg) good (http://musicnotmischief.com/home/images/rsgallery/display/MicahFysh012.jpg.jpg)photos (http://musicnotmischief.com/home/images/rsgallery/display/MicahFysh010.jpg.jpg) of (http://musicnotmischief.com/home/images/rsgallery/display/MicahFysh018.jpg.jpg) it on the internet happen to include me playing it, 2 years ago, back when I had a lot of hair and a helluva lot more spots. Yay? It's a beautiful guitar, amazing mother-of-pearl inlay along the entire thing.

I would love to buy a Firebird. It would be amazing. I want one so bad. It must be BLUE (http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDdJh88jK8Tdk9VApPGcctwD3DCTWdl awIOlv5zqu-wAAoenjDSg&t=1). Is that not the sexiest guitar you've ever seen.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-02, 12:19 AM
I'm pretty sure about what I'll be getting. I'm thinking a few Moog pedals (Ring Mod and Control Processor, maybe FreqBox) for some semimodular capabilities and unusual effects, an EHX Memory Man analog delay and some sort of badass yet warm-sounding overdrive... I'll probably be experimenting with some guitar pedals/amps.
If you have suggestions, though, I'd love to hear them :smallsmile:

Moog makes good stuff; I've always found Ring Mods a lot of fun to mess around with, but not quite as easy to actually use as one might hope. The FreqBox is great, though, especially if you have a synth with a CV out. Really usable. As far as overdrive goes, Aen from Dwarfcraft does a great pedal called the Internet. One of the better overdrives I've heard.

Maralais
2011-03-02, 11:07 AM
I currently have a lovely Epiphone Dot Deluxe (http://www.dannychesnut.com/Music/Guitar/Epiphone/EpiphoneDotDeluxeSunburst.jpg) which sounds quite nice without an amp and I haven't had the chance to try it on an amp yet. Perhaps I'll go to the school's studio tomorrow.

Icewalker
2011-03-02, 01:27 PM
There! Signed up for a beginning guitar class for next quarter. :smallbiggrin:

Maralais
2011-03-03, 09:37 AM
This is for all those guitar players, what can one do to improve in improvising? I pretty much suck when it gets to playing random stuff from scales.

DeadManSleeping
2011-03-03, 09:57 AM
Improvising stuff for solos, you mean? Sorry, bro, that only comes with practice. Same with any other sort of improvisation, really. Nothing to do but keep on doing it.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-03, 01:51 PM
Practice a lot of scales, arpeggios, patterns, riffs, and whatnot. It'll happen once you can just play without thinking about it.

Incompleat
2011-03-04, 04:34 AM
Ok, a question for the musicians here.

I used to play piano as a kid, then lost interest, but now my brother took up his guitar again and I feel like playing something too - I narrowed it down to either keyboard or drums, and the keyboard looks like the most flexible one (not to mention, my - ridiculously tiny - experience with piano could help a little with the keyboard).

Suppose that I want to buy a good keyboard for beginners: how much should I expect to spend, more or less? And do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

RedDeerJebediah
2011-03-04, 08:36 AM
This is for all those guitar players, what can one do to improve in improvising? I pretty much suck when it gets to playing random stuff from scales.

As has been said, practice, practice, practice.
Besides that, try singing or whistling along to what you're playing when improvising. Besides making you feel slightly ridiculous, this will actually train your ears and, over time, improve your sense of relative pitch.

@Incompleat: The type of keyboard you should get depends alot on what sort of sounds you want to have. Are you mostly looking for piano sounds, organs, synthesizers or all of these things? There are many, fairly cheap arranger-type keyboards with all of these sounds, albeit in versions of very low quality. But hey, you've got to start somewhere.
Also worthy of consideration is whether you want your keys to be weighted or not (eg. if they should feel like actual piano keys or be lighter and more plastic-y). Personally I didn't really have trouble getting used to either, but some people are very picky about this.
The easiest way to figure out what to get if you aren't sure of what you want is probably just to go to the nearest music store and take your time trying out as many different boards as possible.

Incompleat
2011-03-04, 10:08 AM
@RedDeerJebediah: thanks for the advice.

I am not particularly interested in piano or classical music, at least for the moment.

Ideally, I would like to be eventually able to play experimental electronics and/or prog rock, but that'll probably be a few years along the line, if ever: it's been more than ten years since I last played piano, and I estimate that my initial skill level with the keyboard is going to be barely above the "Mary-had-a-little-lamb" grade. At least I can still read sheet music...

In any case, that's the kind of sound I like - also, eventually I'll probably want to play with software manipulation of the sound output and so on, thus combining this hobby with my unrepentant love of computer nerdery :smallbiggrin:

So, for the moment, what I am looking for is an instrument that will get me through the "beginner" phase, but that will not make me feel like too big a fool if I lose interest halfway :).

For example, looking at the most popular Amazon keyboards I see this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-PSRE423-Portable-Keyboard-Workstation/dp/B003IJ39G2/ref=pd_ts_MI_17?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments) one (full specs here (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/psr-e423/?mode=model)), which seems to have good reviews and which is already kind of close to my maximum budget (let's say, 300 EUR, or about $415): does it look like an adequate choice for a beginner?

RedDeerJebediah
2011-03-04, 11:51 AM
@RedDeerJebediah: thanks for the advice.

I am not particularly interested in piano or classical music, at least for the moment.

Ideally, I would like to be eventually able to play experimental electronics and/or prog rock, but that'll probably be a few years along the line, if ever: it's been more than ten years since I last played piano, and I estimate that my initial skill level with the keyboard is going to be barely above the "Mary-had-a-little-lamb" grade. At least I can still read sheet music...

In any case, that's the kind of sound I like - also, eventually I'll probably want to play with software manipulation of the sound output and so on, thus combining this hobby with my unrepentant love of computer nerdery :smallbiggrin:

So, for the moment, what I am looking for is an instrument that will get me through the "beginner" phase, but that will not make me feel like too big a fool if I lose interest halfway :).

For example, looking at the most popular Amazon keyboards I see this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-PSRE423-Portable-Keyboard-Workstation/dp/B003IJ39G2/ref=pd_ts_MI_17?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments) one (full specs here (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/psr-e423/?mode=model)), which seems to have good reviews and which is already kind of close to my maximum budget (let's say, 300 EUR, or about $415): does it look like an adequate choice for a beginner?

That does seem like a decent beginner's keyboard, from looking at the specs and checking out a single demo on youtube. You won't get to really tinker with the sounds aside from opening and closing the filter, but you'll be able to build up your technique. With such a low budget you don't have many options when it comes to synthesizers anyway, and you probably don't want to limit yourself to a very specific set of sounds.
I'd still recommend trying out the keyboard itself at a music store if that is at all possible; the keys will probably feel very, very light compared to those of a piano, which can take some getting used to. On the whole, though, it seems like a decent choice.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-04, 08:25 PM
If you like messing with the sound, why not pick up a USB MIDI controller and using soft-synths? Sounds a whole lot better, and you can get a better quality keyboard for fairly cheap.

RebelRogue
2011-03-05, 12:35 PM
Any particular style? For basic rock playing, getting used to the minor pentatobic scale is a must - I suspect you already know this. Sometimes more exotic scales are called for - if you're into Vai or Satriani, you've probably noticed this already. It's not always healthy to think exclusively in terms of scales, but they're a good starting point.

RTGoodman
2011-03-05, 12:46 PM
I play... well, I little bit of everything.

I've been playing trumpet since middle school, so that's about 13 years now. (OH MY GOD I feel so old... :smallsigh:) I also have and occasionally play baritone, and used to have a french horn I fiddled around on. I did mallet percussion for several years, too, and have been a mallet and auxiliary percussion instructor.

I've also taught myself several things passably well. Started with piano/keyboards (though my cheap Casio is about to die), then moved on to electric bass. From there, picked up an acoustic guitar and I've been playing that for a couple of years.

I'm currently in a fledgling folk band (mostly Irish stuff, but with some Scots, Canadian, and American mixed in), where I play rhythm guitar, bodhran, hand drum, tin whistle (which I LOVE), and sing.

Maralais
2011-03-05, 01:14 PM
I'm currently in a fledgling folk band (mostly Irish stuff, but with some Scots, Canadian, and American mixed in), where I play rhythm guitar, bodhran, hand drum, tin whistle (which I LOVE), and sing.

And why does the band have other members when you play all those?:smallbiggrin:

Oh and, what can a duo of guitarist and a keyboardist do to fill in the need of a percussion instrument?

grimbold
2011-03-05, 01:19 PM

for me i listened to alot of zeppelin
cuz pages solos are MOSTLY improvised
then i tried to just get the same feel thorugh my music
blues is a lot easier to improv in for me at least

RTGoodman
2011-03-05, 01:25 PM
And why does the band have other members when you play all those?:smallbiggrin:

Haha, well, I try to cover what we need, and it varies by song. The other members are a singer who can't play anything else, a guitarist who does rhythm and lead/solos/finger-picking when we need it, and a guy who plays banjo and banjola (a weird banjo/guitar/mandolin hybrid that kinda sounds like a bouzouki).

Howler Dagger
2011-03-05, 05:34 PM
I have played the cello for a couple of months now withh school, starting in august. I cant play too much, my only (possibley) notable piece that i am learning is Minuet 2 by Bach

Jinura
2011-03-06, 09:19 AM
I've played guitar for about 2 years, and I'm somewhat decent at that..

I was wondering however, seeing as I can mostly play Recorder, mainly out of boredom, how hard would it be to learn to play Flute? I'm greatly inspired by Jethro Tull, Camel, Genesis etc.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-06, 05:32 PM
Sooooo.
I got a new guitar.
Carparelli S4 (http://lh5.ggpht.com/_1j1lTO_96Kg/TGzfbuW6E9I/AAAAAAAACqU/Wi1D8xu_5kA/SANY0835.JPG) red flame top

It is the easiest playing instrument ever. I've just been doing improvy stuff on it thus far, it's so amazing.

Edit: Only, I have a different neck than that picture. Early production, mine has the same kind of neck bulge as a Les Paul, and a little eagle at the 12th.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-06, 07:11 PM
Shiny! :smallwink:

Also, what amps are you using, Gwyn?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-06, 09:24 PM
Shiny! :smallwink:

Also, what amps are you using, Gwyn?

My non-actual-guitar equipment: I'm running a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive pedal and a DigiTech Grunge Distortion pedal through a tiny little practice amp.
Behringer V-Tone GM 108. It's small, but it's pretty good for it's size and price!

Moff Chumley
2011-03-06, 09:26 PM
Bro, hate to sound snobby, but your guitars are too shiny to be played through a Behringer. :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-06, 09:42 PM
Bro, hate to sound snobby, but your guitars are too shiny to be played through a Behringer. :smalltongue:

I know. I get distracted by shiny guitars, but I have not enough shiny to buy shiny amps. All of my money for the last... year has gone towards parties and alcohol and alcohol at parties and suchlike.

I'm looking at some new amps right now (that are within a reasonable price range!)

Those Line 6 amps are lookin' pretty sweet right about now...

Azuyomi244
2011-03-07, 08:58 AM
I play ukulele a bit. I've just been teaching myself (with some help from the internet) so I'm not that good.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-07, 07:13 PM
I know. I get distracted by shiny guitars, but I have not enough shiny to buy shiny amps. All of my money for the last... year has gone towards parties and alcohol and alcohol at parties and suchlike.

I'm looking at some new amps right now (that are within a reasonable price range!)

Those Line 6 amps are lookin' pretty sweet right about now...

IT'S A TRAP!

I've never enjoyed a Line 6 amp once it's outta the store and in a practice space. I've had a lot of bandmates tempted by 'em... get something tubey. 'Cept not the Line 6 tube amp! Because it's expensive and I don't trust any amp with a digital stage. >.>

Check out B-52 amps. They're sorta Mesa/Boogie-ish, but a lot cheaper. :smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-07, 11:01 PM
I have a friend with a Line 6, and it's quite good... Then again, afaik, it's only ever been sitting in his room, and never has been out gigging or anything, so...
Why do you not trust digital?

Moff Chumley
2011-03-07, 11:09 PM
At quiet levels, it can sound fine. But when you turn 'em up, digital amps just seem less present, less "real" than their solid state or tubular counterparts. That's before you throw in pedals; I get all of my distortions and effects from pedals, and digital amps do /not/ deal with pedals well. Even cheaper digital effects can get screwy if you put a fuzz pedal in front of 'em.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-07, 11:13 PM
At quiet levels, it can sound fine. But when you turn 'em up, digital amps just seem less present, less "real" than their solid state or tubular counterparts. That's before you throw in pedals; I get all of my distortions and effects from pedals, and digital amps do /not/ deal with pedals well. Even cheaper digital effects can get screwy if you put a fuzz pedal in front of 'em.

Consider my love of pedals and effects, that seems like a problem.

I've been looking for tube amps primarily, but with my budget I might have to go for an equivalent solid state. It needs to be relatively cheap for me to be able to consider buying it...

Moff Chumley
2011-03-07, 11:35 PM
There's some shockingly cheap stuff if you know where to look. Peavey, especially has some good (http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVVKING112) deals (http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEV00583150). I've got a friend with a ValveKing, and he's thrilled with it. For a bit more, and honestly at better quality, there's Laney (http://www.zzounds.com/item--LNYLC30112), Bugera (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUGBC30212), Blackstar (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BLCHTCLUB40C), and of course Fender (http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2230200)...

zeratul
2011-03-09, 06:02 PM
While were on the topic of amps, what amps would you guys reccomend for metal? I've been thinking about getting this blackstar amp (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-Venue-Series-HT-Stage-HT60-60W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=423770) since it seems really good for the price and I know the company is good. That said my bands lead guitarist got one recently and while it sounds good, it had a very bluesy sound to it, and as such I'm not sure how well suited it is to the kind of music we play (Power Metal, Folk Metal, Gothic Metal, Melodeath). Do you guys think I could make up for this through the use of effects pedals or should I look at other amps instead?

SDF
2011-03-09, 09:42 PM
I dunno, I guess I always figured what people did with their own money was their business. Plus, the individual in question is the president of the parent company so I'm not too concerned about the purchase of extremely awesome Dano products. Not to mention there are companies with some actually questionable business practices (coughgibsoncough) that I still wouldn't consider too much when looking at their products.

Speaking of pedals, I'm a huge pedal junkie. I might sell my brothers kidneys to pick up a WMD Geiger Counter. So many wacky wave forms, Fourier be jealous.

When it comes to amps, unlike what can be true for guitars, you get what you pay for. If I'm going to be playing live and I can't afford a Fender or Marshall I'd much prefer to line a Line 6 POD directly into the PA that is going to sound better than, what is in my experience, questionable Chinese amps (Blackstar). For metal what you are going to see a lot of the professionals using are Marshall tube amps, Orange amps, ENGL, and rack effects. None of these are cheap by any means, but they are all an investment. It is something to consider when looking at what you want to do with music. I have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille which I use for band practice and gigging, and a Line 6 Spider which I use for personal practice. I would never play live with the Line 6 because it doesn't sound good, but it does what I bought it for, namely practicing scales and the like at low volumes my Fender simply refuses to do. In the end try out what you are looking at in a store, some things you aren't looking at, and think about it for a few days before purchasing. Look at your budget and what you would ideally want, then compromise on what you can manage. Also, consider Harmony Central reviews and YouTube user product demos as they can be a valuable resource.

zeratul
2011-03-09, 10:14 PM
Huh weird, I've mostly heard really positive things about blackstar. And I know Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, and Ozzy's new guitarist all use them. Ideally I'd love to get an Engl powerball, but that's not really something you can buy at seventeen so I'm looking for something that's good enough to do low scale gigs with but not much over a thousand, and prefferably a little below.

I was also looking at this (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-SST-200W-Hybrid-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=500127&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=208869471) amp as one of Holy Grails guitarists recommended it and apparently uses it, and his style isn't unlike what I'm going for.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-09, 10:45 PM
I've always liked solid state amps and distortion pedals for metal, m'self. But shop around on eBay for a while, there's a lot of stuff out there.