PDA

View Full Version : Portable sanctum?

gomipile
2011-02-27, 06:40 PM
If a spellcaster has Sanctum Spell and lives in an Enveloping Pit portable building, can he declare that his sanctum? Then he could unroll the Enveloping Pit anywhere to stand on the roof of his sanctum and cast Sanctum Spell enhanced spells.

Last Laugh
2011-02-27, 06:58 PM
If a spellcaster has Sanctum Spell and lives in an Enveloping Pit portable building, can he declare that his sanctum? Then he could unroll the Enveloping Pit anywhere to stand on the roof of his sanctum and cast Sanctum Spell enhanced spells.

I believe I've heard the idea of Sanctum aircraft being passed around, seems cool enough to work.

Anything in Sanctum spell that says it has to be immobile?

Vknight
2011-02-27, 07:00 PM
I do not believe it states that but I'm not a compontent authority at this time.

MammonAzrael
2011-02-27, 07:13 PM
I would let it fly, for two reasons.

I don't see any particular reason why it wouldn't work, by RAW.
If you've taken Sanctum Spell, chances are this is not the cheesiest thing you are doing with it. You're probably playing a Beguiler 1/Rainbow Servant X or something else thoroughly wacky.

gomipile
2011-02-27, 07:26 PM
I would let it fly, for two reasons.

I don't see any particular reason why it wouldn't work, by RAW.
If you've taken Sanctum Spell, chances are this is not the cheesiest thing you are doing with it. You're probably playing a Beguiler 1/Rainbow Servant X or something else thoroughly wacky.

Warmage 1/Rainbow Servant actually, but yes.

MammonAzrael
2011-02-27, 07:50 PM
Warmage 1/Rainbow Servant actually, but yes.

:smalltongue:

Oh the choice between more and better skills or better synergy for spell DCs and turn attempts. And of course, your preferred party roll before you hit level 11.

gomipile
2011-02-27, 07:52 PM
:smalltongue:

Oh the choice between more and better skills or better synergy for spell DCs and turn attempts. And of course, your preferred party roll before you hit level 11.

Its a 25 point buy, and the intention is to go Sacred Exorcist at 12 to get turn undead, so Charisma SAD is a must, yeah.

MammonAzrael
2011-02-27, 07:55 PM
Something tells me you'll manage though. :smallamused:

Vknight
2011-02-27, 08:00 PM
We believe in you no matter the challenges you'll make it.

FMArthur
2011-02-27, 10:41 PM
There are worse things than people desperately trying to get the intended usage of Sanctum Spell to be useful. Such as any of the other bajillion uses of Sanctum Spell. But perhaps designating the area under a tree might be more cheesy useful... (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a)

Vulaas
2011-02-28, 03:35 AM
1) Declare an outhouse to be your sanctum. It is important that the outhouse have no door
2) Remove it from the ground.
3) Cast "shrink item".
4) Wear said outhouse as a helmet. The privy is your gorget.

MammonAzrael
2011-02-28, 03:59 AM
1) Declare an outhouse to be your sanctum. It is important that the outhouse have no door
2) Remove it from the ground.
3) Cast "shrink item".
4) Wear said outhouse as a helmet. The privy is your gorget.

Step 3.5) Ensure the outhouse is clean and unused.

gomipile
2011-02-28, 03:39 PM
So no one thinks the portable sanctum is too ridiculous?

FMArthur
2011-02-28, 03:51 PM
It's a little powerful when used in combination with an Acorn of Far Travel, which makes it like Spell Focus taken for all schools for one feat and a Druid's 2nd level slot every few weeks, but it's not going to wreck worlds. That damage has already been wrought by Sanctum Spell's ordinary out-of-Sanctum corollaries. Using a platform you have to unpack every time for its effects is not even overpowered at all, and is mostly a waste of actions (and feat) despite having a kind of neat 'set-up and prepare for great arcane power' flavour.

gomipile
2011-02-28, 04:11 PM
... having a kind of neat 'set-up and prepare for great arcane power' flavour.

Indeed, that is a nice bit of panache.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-02-28, 07:35 PM
Declare your hat (wide brim optional but cool) your sanctum. We sleep in and find shelter in our clothes anyway. /mild cheese