PDA

View Full Version : I Need Hilarious Things to Pour out of the Fourth (or 5th) Wall and Fight my Players!

Chess435
2011-02-28, 01:48 PM
In the very humorous 3.5/PF campaign I'm running, the final battle is fast approaching, a randomized-team 5v5v5v5. (five of them are PC's but are split between various teams along with the other major NPC's of the story for an epic PvP finish)

One of my players, (let's call him Chris, mostly because that's his name and he never uses these forums) has a sword so sharp it can cut the boundaries between universes. He plans on using it during the final battle to destroy this boundary and call forth the hordes of Chaos from Warhammer 40k. What I have planned, however, is that in addition, all sorts of stuff from various TV shows/video games/books/movies/etc. pour forth in addition, and immediately begin acting according to their natural inclinations. What I ask of you, the playground, is to provide epic ideas for things to cause simultaneous Crowning Moments of Awesome and Funny! Are you up to the challenge?

Edit: Oh yeah, everyone is ECL 24, if that helps.

Keld Denar
2011-02-28, 01:53 PM
Groups of 5....

5 ninjas in red/blue/black/pink/yellow suits

4 anthropomorphic turtles + anthropomorphic rat

5 bards with long hair who thrash around violently with their instruments while wearing tight leather armor, possibly combining various elements of Dragonfire Inspiration.

BlackSheep
2011-02-28, 01:59 PM
Whatever you pick, I recommend playing Hungarian Rhapsody #2 in the background...

NichG
2011-02-28, 02:05 PM
Idea 1:

Cartoon-ized game mechanical concepts pour out, that each inflict variations and control of their particular mechanic as their ability.

A Natural 20 (a big d20 with 20 on every facing) that basically gets a natural 20 on anything it does, but doesn't have any class abilities/etc, and a Natural 1 that inflicts natural 1s on its targets. A 5 foot step (pair of boots with a dashed line trail to the previous square they were in). An AoO (sly looking guy holding a dagger and looking around for a chance). The Grid (surveyor with tools, can rotate or shift the map grid). Out of Character, a random guy who keeps chatting about weird stuff, movies, etc during the fight, and can act out of initiative order. The Rules Lawyer, a guy in a suit and briefcase that only uses weird RAW stuff that makes no sense like drowning to health, and suppresses house rules in a 5ft radius.

Idea 2:

PCs from previous campaigns show up trying to steal the spotlight from their successors, a la Disgaea.

Idea 3:

Totally harmless-looking chibi versions of various horrible things show up (Chthonic monsters, some of the more disturbing fiends, etc) and start to play-fight with eachother. Occasionally they transform into their normal form for a single action to totally ravage some part of the field and then transform back with a guilty look.

Tengu_temp
2011-02-28, 02:21 PM
The players themselves, as they are in real life. When demolishing the fourth wall, you should go all the way! For extra weirdness have each player control both his character and himself.

ThirdEmperor
2011-02-28, 02:23 PM
A horde of dwagons, spidews and every other webcomic reference you can think of!

The Cat Goddess
2011-02-28, 02:24 PM
Bugs Bunny, the Avatar of Chaos.

Chess435
2011-02-28, 02:24 PM
The players themselves, as they are in real life. When demolishing the fourth wall, you should go all the way! For extra weirdness have each player control both his character and himself.

But what happens if their normal self dies?

Keld Denar
2011-02-28, 02:30 PM
If you die in RL, you die in the game.

IthroZada
2011-02-28, 02:30 PM
Deadpool, Kidpool, Headpool, Dogpool, and Ladypool.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/thwhtguardian/news/?a=13444

Chess435
2011-02-28, 02:42 PM
Keep 'em coming!

Yukitsu
2011-02-28, 02:55 PM
A man in a white trilby hat in a vast yellow landscape comes at them with a long, rambly attack to their egoes about what lousy characters they are for moderate charisma damage. Whenever they evicerate, or cut him in half or whatever, he simply cuts to the next scene where he's at his desk and fine.

big teej
2011-02-28, 02:58 PM
for shame playgrounders

none of you thought of The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny?

I'll brb gonna go dig up a link before I get ninja'd

link!
http://www.flashportal.com/movies/the_ultimate_showdown.html

Kobold Esq
2011-02-28, 02:58 PM
There needs to be some Nazis in there somewhere. Everyone likes killing Nazis.

Gravitron5000
2011-02-28, 02:59 PM
An A.C.M.E. catalog that when perused spawns crates containing a random but fundamentally flawed wondrous item. Ensure that the flawed nature is due to over complication of the mechanism with respect to the task it is designed to perform.

A bunch of soldiers with blue and red lasers that can not hit anything, ever, but are content to shoot and take cover behind anything and everything. They would probably also be unable to be hit. Bonus points for an included public service announcement.

At some point the Mystery Machine should show up, along with some meddling kids.

BRC
2011-02-28, 03:01 PM
A group of Troubleshooters pour out, armed with laser pistols, experimental equipment (Which explodes), clone backups, and a habit of turning on one another at a moment's notice.

A pair of paladins who are engaged in a heated debate on alignment.

bbugg
2011-02-28, 03:07 PM
Elmer Fudd and maybe Taz.

Venerable
2011-02-28, 04:00 PM
Two words: katamari damacy

Draz74
2011-02-28, 04:07 PM
Muppets. A Bullywug Marshal, an Anthropomorphic Pig Monk, a Pseudonatural Mongrelman Incarnate/Fortune's Friend, a Werebear Truenamer, a pink Goblin Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker (with Perform(percussion)), a Human Artificer with Leadership but terrible Charisma ...

ffone
2011-02-28, 04:18 PM
Earth/water/fire/air elemental savants + a 'heart' themed mage, who circle summon a Good Outsider type guy with green hair and blue skin - use a Planetar with druid casting instead of cleric casting (and swapped spell-likes).

CigarPete
2011-02-28, 04:32 PM
Tall, floating woman with crazy hair, short funny-looking guy with round glasses, and three guys in jumpsuits with hoses attached to backpacks who proceed to start vacuuming up any undead around...

Chess435
2011-02-28, 04:34 PM
I see what you did there. :smallwink:

Sith_Happens
2011-02-28, 04:56 PM
If you and your players don't mind the stench of cheese, how about a masked man in a dashing black and gold outfit who leads an army of Huge constructs and can use Geas as a standard-action, medium range, multi-target gaze attack with permanent duration and the "no suicidal orders" clause removed?

Chess435
2011-02-28, 04:59 PM
Errr.... I don't get the reference on that one...

Douglas
2011-02-28, 05:06 PM
Errr.... I don't get the reference on that one...
Code Geass. The main character often leads armies of mecha, always wears a mask when not in his mild-mannered alter ego, and in the first episode he gains the ability (called Geass) to give absolute commands to anyone he can make eye contact with in something like a 200 meter range.
First two episodes spoiler:
The very first time he uses it, he orders a whole squad of soldiers to "die". Every last one of them immediately blows his own brains out.

Further testing reveals that each command is permanent and cannot be resisted, but requires direct eye contact to give, and he can't use this ability on any single person more than once.

He is, incidentally, a perfect example of a Magnificent Bastard with a very strong streak of Large Ham.

Mercenary Pen
2011-02-28, 05:09 PM
@ Sith Happens: Code Geass all the way, yes?

For my own offering, a bit of a subversion. A statue of Admiral Ackbar from Return of the Jedi, which is not trapped in any way- in a room that is also not trapped in any way. Possibly have it that somebody already came through and got rid of the traps that may have been there- but if any of your players are familiar with the 'it's a trap' meme, you could have them searching for traps that aren't there whilst you chuckle to yourself.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-02-28, 05:19 PM
If theya re pouring out of the forth wall, I'd just grab whatever is lying afound and place it on the map. Cheese balls, extra dice, minatures from other games, soda bottles, anything.

Then just assign the items stats on the fly. Maybe give things that are big enough to fit over a model the Swallow Whole ability. Stuff like that.

Assassin89
2011-02-28, 05:27 PM
How about a vampire with the ability to stop time and he also drops steamrollers on people?

Alternatively, creatures from a world that include a female human warlock whose eldritch blast simplifies to a gigantic magical laser, a female human samurai with a half-ghost template and a magical bastard sword and short sword, a female ghost who can induce death by moe, a female humanoid wizard who could accomplish what that sword does with a single thought and summon a train for good measure, and a knife throwing, time stopping maid.

nedz
2011-02-28, 05:30 PM
There needs to be some Nazis in there somewhere. Everyone likes killing Nazis.

But the're really the dancers from The Producers

[CLASSIFIED]
2011-02-28, 07:23 PM
11 ideas:
(spoilered for length)
1: Open The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and start statting up everything you find.

2: Hippies!

3: Carebears (or other such beings)

4: Elvis. The King was abducted by transdimensional wizards and dumped into a D&D game.

5: Marvel super heroes

6: Darth Vader and all the rest from Star Wars

7: Mario, Master Chief, Samus, etc.

8: Have the universe-cutting sword malfunction and reverse the roles of the PCs and the players so that the players must play themselves as characters being played by their characters.

9: Have everything turn to LEGO that the PCs can spend actions to destroy and build terrain and other stuff with.

10: Lord Voldemort and all the other Harry Potter people. Think Dobby.

11: Give a vague description and tell the players to guess what they're about to fight. Make their guesses the things that they fight.

I could put down more, but I don't want to write too much!

The-Mage-King
2011-02-28, 07:59 PM
The Spiral Nemesis?

The White Devil?

Ichigouki?

The other White Devil?

A certain Wizard PI?

O-Haruhi-Sama?

The Doctor?

The sentient starships allegedly waiting in Dark Space?

Roderick_BR
2011-02-28, 08:08 PM
Idea 2:

PCs from previous campaigns show up trying to steal the spotlight from their successors, a la Disgaea.

I support those. Be very careful to instead of flat-out say who they are, try to describle them, if you know them well (both players and old PCs). The instant the players recognize themselves, you hand out the "character sheets" of themselves and say they are in control of their self-PCs. For the old PCs, they'll remain NPCs and you can allow the players to play them if they get to recognize them. Don't say any names.

Sillycomic
2011-02-28, 08:23 PM
Have a roller coaster pop through with a party consisting of:

A tiny barbarian with a unicorn mount

Ranger with a force bow

Magician with glasses

Rogue with an invisibility cloak

Monk with a quarterstaff

and a Cavalier with a shield that just wants to go home.

Double bonus points if you say that a gnome who calls himself the Dungeon Master shows up with them.

OracleofWuffing
2011-02-28, 08:24 PM
You cut a hole into the paper battlemap. Time to get out your exacto knives. Each turn, the hole continues tearing. The holes get larger exponentially until the minis are on bare table, where movement and range no longer apply to the battle and they must be on the lookout for PC-sized dice that are rolled by deities at them.

You are fighting a rapidly growing mass of mountain dew. Really shouldn't have attacked so close to my soda.

Trains. Lot and lots of them. Big trains, little trains, steam trains, diesel, fright, and passenger trains, old trains, new trains, fast trains, slow trains, smokin' trains, even trains from around the world, plus toy trains, trolley trains, and much, much more.

Hungry, hungry, hippos.

Chess435
2011-02-28, 08:34 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! I love it! :smallbiggrin:

All of it!

Galileo
2011-02-28, 08:39 PM
The sentient starships allegedly waiting in Dark Space?

This one's a terrible idea. Cast Dismissal and they're all gone.

The-Mage-King
2011-02-28, 08:47 PM
This one's a terrible idea. Cast Dismissal and they're all gone.

Ah, yes, "Dismissal". The alleged spell that banishes extraplanar creatures.

We have dismissed that claim.

Further ideas:

Captain GARlock.

The Spiral Hobo. (Yeah, both of them. At the same time.)

The Doctor.

ZERUEL, ANGEL OF MIGHT. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanFic/ALittleAngelOnMyShoulder)

THE EMPRAH!

The original Father of Machines.

And so on.

EDIT: Bolas, the one responsible for everything.

Chess435
2011-02-28, 08:51 PM
EDIT: Bolas, the one responsible for everything.

*Evil Grin*

Frozen_Feet
2011-02-28, 08:52 PM
Six Paths of Pain, Sousuke Aizen, Majin Buu, Alucard, Whitebeard and Blackbeard, Father and the Groke step into the fray.

hotel_papa
2011-02-28, 09:00 PM
Jedi. Way too many Jedi.

dspeyer
2011-02-28, 09:12 PM
Recruit a LARPer friend from outside the campaign to dress as one of the NPCs. The NPC jumps through one of the rifts, and your friend jumps out of hiding.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-28, 09:30 PM
The entire party from one of your group's previous campaigns.

Remember those star craft two ideas? I'm trying to remember them all, I remember one of them was a tank-taur. Those.

A strange NPC that slowly reveals itself to be one of the party members wearing a funny hat.

Loren
2011-02-28, 09:34 PM
The battle star galactica

The-Mage-King
2011-02-28, 09:37 PM
The battle star galactica

A Super Star Destroyer.

Crossblade
2011-02-28, 10:11 PM
A group of Large/Huge sized Warforged that have the ability to transform shapeshift into strange things; horseless wagons, extremely fast airships, dinosaurs, etc.

A guy named Steve who is oddly square shaped. He wields a pick axe, shovel and/or Sword & Bow. He is being chased by zombies, archer skeletons and a strange green phallic plant that hisses. To save himself, he starts swinging his pick axe at the ground... causing a hole the exact size and shape as 1 cube of the battle chart to pop out.

A barbarian with a green and yellow striped dire tiger mount.

A were-tiger who looks at the party and thinks "They're greeeeat!"
A were-toucan who insists the party "Follow <their> nose!"
A gnome in green clothing, with a bowl of cereal being chased by children.
A were-rabbit who chases children for their cereal.
A were-cuckoo bird who has a strange addiction to chocolate cereal, which he expresses that he is crazy for.
A vampire dressed in brown who tries to hypnotize victims then only offers them chocolate cereal.
An elderly naval sea captain dressed in blue with a large white mustache.
Three tiny sized elves that insist on calling out their names.

A group of vampires -which not only are immune to sunlight, but also sparkle in it- that sit around, moping while watching a juvenile commoner girl sleep.

A guy walking around with a small box to his ear in one hand, asking someone who isn't there, if 'they can hear him now'.

A fat orange cat that does nothing but sleep, eat lasagna, make snide comments and kick a small, dumb, yellow dog off a table.

A group of 3 awakened, bard Chipmunks. Bonus points if they are accompanied by a human bard to keeps yelling the leader chipmunk's name. Extra bonus points if the leader wants a Hola-Hoop.

A sailor who gains +30 STR after eating Spinach.

A clumsy half-golem that can transform his body parts and summon strange items (usually house hold ones, though), which appear out of its head; but only after saying, "Go-go Gadget <item>!"

A Drd13/Clr5/Rog2 & 8 Awaken Reindeer. (WotC already stat'ed him, you better watch out, you better not cry (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20011222x))

The Glyphstone
2011-02-28, 11:01 PM

Not creative enough. Each player controls his character and another player's player. Don't tell them, but the in-game players can give orders that override the RL player's orders, if the RL player controlling the in-game player tries to do so.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-28, 11:01 PM

Not creative enough. Each player controls his character and another player's player. Don't tell them, but the in-game players can give orders that override the RL player's orders, if the RL player controlling the in-game player tries to do so.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-28, 11:06 PM
The Lorax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorax) (or anything else by Dr. Suess),

Food weather (a la "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudy_with_a_Chance_of_Meatballs)")

Kore (http://www.goblinscomic.com/09102005/) from the comic Goblins.

Snuggles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93068) (stat blocks are somewhere in that monstrous thread!)

The Powerpuff Girls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Powerpuff_Girls)

That's all I can think of for now. Let us know what you actually do! :smallbiggrin:

blackjack217
2011-02-28, 11:28 PM
The reasonable marines (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Reasonable_Marines)
Pun Pun.
Someone off the Forgotten Freedom or Mr. Welch's PC's I doubt they will be able to tell the differences.
All the Gods killed in the Conversion to the 4th ed.
Various Redshirts.
A famous character humorously ill-equipped for direct combat.
Have All the different versions of Asamodius fight it out for control.
End it with with the Big C.

slaydemons
2011-02-28, 11:28 PM
well I was going to say a man with red hair and beard has blue jeans and keeps roundhouse kicking everyhting to death but....

have a guy on a boat start singing I'm on a boat,
or a guy who keeps saying now look back at your man now back to me.

Assassin89
2011-03-01, 12:01 AM
Should we include an awakened alligator who sings an over the top musical number, which is then never mentioned again, but the alligator is still able to attack one of the players?

Some tall grass appears and a man comes out of it spinning his sword around.
A little girl asks if you have seen her bear Tibbers. Tibbers is on fire and likely to maul one of the players.
A scarecrow who shows everyone true terror (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GyxaeeoXJk)

Tvtyrant
2011-03-01, 12:06 AM
Have an NPC show up from time to time and then just disappear without explanation in a manner that is obvious enough that everyone realizes it but not obvious enough they call it out?

For instance: NPC goes to the bathroom when a group of Wights attack group. Never mention the NPC again and wait for someone to bring it up (probably weeks later).

Loren
2011-03-01, 12:08 AM
Rand al Thor

Adrayll
2011-03-01, 12:38 AM
Recruit a LARPer friend from outside the campaign to dress as one of the NPCs. The NPC jumps through one of the rifts, and your friend jumps out of hiding.

This. Then, after his surprise round, they begin to actually fight him. They're commoners, he's a high level fighter/swordsage/whatever. They need to win both the IRL battle, and the table battle, but moving your tabletop character (not to forget the friend you're controlling, through their tabletop avatar) is an IRL standard action that provokes an attack of oppurtunity :smallamused:

herrhauptmann
2011-03-01, 12:51 AM
Gareth the goblin king and a baby with a permanent 'jump' spell? Followed by a pixie on a sheepdog, and a teenaged girl.

Sith_Happens
2011-03-01, 01:21 AM
A man with extremely improbable hair and a deck of 40 cards that function as scrolls (mostly Summon Monster spells). He starts out with five that he can use and gains the use of one more off the top of the deck each round; however, just as it looks like he's about to go down he ALWAYS pulls just the right spell to turn things around, even if that spell wasn't in the deck in the first place. Oh yeah, he has 4000 hp and cannot be damaged as long as he has a summon out. Should make for an interesting battle.

IthroZada
2011-03-01, 02:01 AM
Gareth the goblin king and a baby with a permanent 'jump' spell? Followed by a pixie on a sheepdog, and a teenaged girl.

You forgot the Half-Minotaur Ogre with the SLA "Rocks Fall and Everyone Dies" and the grumpy dwarf that looks a lot more like a gnome.

Otacon17
2011-03-01, 03:01 AM
Prinnies. Prinnies EVERYWHERE.

Raistlin82
2011-03-01, 03:24 AM
The Teletubbies
Final Fantasy characters (that your players recognize)
Donnie Darko's creepy man in a rabbit suit!
Ryu & Ken (shoooooooooooooooooryuken!)
Harry, Ron & Hermione (who gets casually smashed by some giant monster as soon as they appear)
Roy, Elan, Durkon, Vaarsuvius, Haley and Belkar!!!

I almost forgot:

Chuck Norris

pinballchico
2011-03-01, 04:18 AM
1. An old man in a top hat that takes their money and instantly gets magic weapons (especially the thimble, Cannon, Ship, Boot...and tiny dog familiar.)

2. Shady people whose names are based on colors ominously holding candlesticks, lead-pipes, revolvers, and an envelope that says "confidential" on the side.

3. A tiny car full of stick people. Have it move by a dice roll and its stats be effected by whatever square it lands in. If it dies all of its wealth goes away...if it lives it makes everyone rich

4. (since some of them are on there side) military men with numbers and bombs...only those with #8 can diffuse a bomb.

5. Tons of snakes..with the occasional helpful ladder

6. Odd colored hershey's kisses that, if they slide into you, send you back to to entrance of the room.

7. Circles divided into pie shapes that can only be killed by knowledge checks...each type of knowledge fills in a different piece of the pie...once the pie is filled only a roll of some pre-determined number can kill it

8. A tower of blocks requiring called shots to determine which block is hit....if the structure loses integrity it falls on the attacker dealing massive damage...defeated when its weakend to a point that no matter what the next attack is it would cause it to fall.

9. A queen, a Knave, and a King that can't stop stabbing himself in the head.

10. Chess pieces stated to the classes they would obviously be

11. A giant grid that when a grid square is named speaks "Hit" or "Miss" not destroyed until all "Hit" squares are discoverd.

12. A quaint game of connect 4

Ravens_cry
2011-03-01, 07:06 AM
Bugs Bunny, the Avatar of Chaos.Look up early Daffy Duck for even crazier antics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Lf7yNhdtk). Bugs at least rarely hit first.
Woody Woodpecker was also pretty insane.

Funkyodor
2011-03-01, 07:12 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned a man claiming to be some kind of physician, who exits a small blue shack with his assitant. He insists on closing the rift and ending the conflict or he'll stop it forcefully using only his mind and a small handheld whirring device.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-01, 07:14 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned a man claiming to be some kind of physician, who exits a small blue shack with his assitant. He insists on closing the rift and ending the conflict or he'll stop it forcefully using only his mind and a small handheld whirring device.
Who?:smallconfused:Yes, I get it.

The-Mage-King
2011-03-01, 08:01 AM
The Doctor?

The Doctor.

...I... Did. Twice.

panaikhan
2011-03-01, 08:36 AM
Here's a few, some taken from an old old module I own..

A large orange Earth Elemental, shouting "It's Clobberin' Time"
A medium Fire Elemental, shouting "Flame On"
A female Invisible Stalker
A Male psionicist with Expansion and Extend Limb

A Drider in a red and blue jumpsuit shouting "Thwipp"

A Druid/Monk in a purple jumpsuit and black facemask, who casts spells that boost his abilities by shouting "I call upon the power, of 10 ..... "

Gravitron5000
2011-03-01, 09:11 AM

That is unbelievably awesome :smallbiggrin:

Heffalumps and Woozles or the Jabberwocky might be good.

You could probably pull a lot out of Winnie the Pooh, as well as Alice in Wonderland.

archon_huskie
2011-03-01, 09:19 AM
Ah, yes, "Dismissal". The alleged spell that banishes extraplanar creatures.

I get it! It banishes extraplanar creatures. A Spaceship is not on the planet, therefore it is extra planar.

Chess435
2011-03-01, 10:35 AM
I might as well spawn a Final Smash in the middle of the fight for even crazier shenanigans. :smallbiggrin:

Combat Reflexes
2011-03-01, 10:39 AM
It's Epic Game Time!

either
1. tons of black and white mooks swarm over the battlefield, and they and the PCs are pieces in a game of Go.

2. the first team to stand four-in-a-row wins.

The Doctor.

Seconded. Make sure you have the David Tennant version, he rocks. :smallbiggrin:

Eurus
2011-03-01, 10:52 AM
I might as well spawn a Final Smash in the middle of the fight for even crazier shenanigans. :smallbiggrin:

Or perhaps a few suspicious mushroom powerups. :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2011-03-01, 10:53 AM
Seconded. Make sure you have the David Tennant version, he rocks. :smallbiggrin:

Why limit himself to only one version of the Doctor?

Krotchrot
2011-03-01, 11:20 AM
Captain N the Game Master along with the rest of the old school Nintendo crew, Samus Aran, Link(with classic "Well, Excuuuuuuse Me Princess Action), Simon Belmont, and Kid Icarus.

slaydemons
2011-03-01, 11:42 AM
An old bald man with a scar under his left eye and a naked cat who is across a pool with sharks with frickin lazerbeams on their fricken head. who says " you have made Mr.biggles worth angry and when Mr.bigglesworth is angry, PEOPLE DIE."

9mm
2011-03-01, 11:54 AM
Deadpool

10 char

Amurion
2011-03-01, 12:24 PM
The gang from Red vs Blue. Along with a few grunts with plasma grenades.

blackjack217
2011-03-01, 12:36 PM
The gang from Red vs Blue. Along with a few grunts with plasma grenades.

+1
Also every ridiculously broken combo you can think of all of which get banned mid combat. That's right you ban NPC's midfight.

Calimehter
2011-03-01, 12:50 PM
In a silly campaign I played a long time ago, we fought a huge fuzzy purple dinosaur whose special power was to make you like it and sing simple songs with it.

Mr.Smashy
2011-03-01, 01:06 PM
1. A bunch of weasels driving a black 1920's sedan with tommy guns. They all talk like wise-guys. One of them is wearing a straight jacket, and face mask.
2. Five Warforged of different color, Red, Blue, Yellow, Ect. that form into a warforged juggernaut with a plasma sword.
3. The L.A.P.D.
4. Jesus walks out leading a bunch of zombies. He is the Zombie King.
5. Lil Jon comes out with the token, "Yeah, What?, Okay". This causes mass confusion. Save vs confusion.
6. Abraham Lincoln (represented by a penny) comes out to give the ghettysburg address. Save vs. Fear/ Fascinate. Actually print out the whole thing and read it aloud to the players.
7. One Word: Thriller

Dimers
2011-03-01, 02:39 PM
Strawberry Shortcake characters mounted on My Little Ponies. Naturally, this faction should be the toughest, angriest, and most hardcore of them all.

Several orphaned bard-based Dread Pirates.

A grey-haired druidess with electricity and Control Weather powers, a claw-based psychic warrior / warshaper, a gish with huge strength and the Metal Skin spell, a ranged warlock whose eldritch blasts come from his eyes, and a human psion with crippled legs.

Alternatively, the Justice Friends.

Robin Hood, Maid Marian, Little John, Friar Tuck and Will Scarlett?

A vampire teamed up with a werewolf, a mage, a changeling and a wraith.

Also, I second the Care Bears and Dinobots ideas.

Yukitsu
2011-03-01, 02:41 PM
Look up early Daffy Duck for even crazier antics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Lf7yNhdtk). Bugs at least rarely hit first.
Woody Woodpecker was also pretty insane.

I think Felix has them topped by a bit.

Dvandemon
2011-03-01, 02:49 PM
A man in a white trilby hat in a vast yellow landscape comes at them with a long, rambly attack to their egoes about what lousy characters they are for moderate charisma damage. Whenever they evicerate, or cut him in half or whatever, he simply cuts to the next scene where he's at his desk and fine.

What's that from?

Yukitsu
2011-03-01, 02:50 PM
What's that from?

Ben Croshaw.

Dvandemon
2011-03-01, 03:00 PM
A similar item would be a string that allowed reality warping whenever plucked. You needed to be taught how to play by a celestial though. Just wanted to say :smalltongue:

I can't think of anything, yet...

Jastermereel
2011-03-01, 03:21 PM
A Gazebo (http://www.brunchma.com/archives/Forum13/HTML/000133.html)

Actually, I recently ran an encounter involving the cast of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI
Admittedly, the dozen badgers weren't much of a challenge. But the pair of myconid barbarians (yeah, that should work) and a huge snake (coiled atop the aforementioned gazebo) were alright for a truly random encounter...all in the middle of Chapter 2 of The Red Hand of Doom.

Heck, if they're net-savvy, throw in some net memes. An epic battle between Longcat and tacgnol? Assorted Lol-cats wielding invisible weapons, in their bags of holdings eatin' their cheeseburgers?

The Glyphstone
2011-03-01, 03:50 PM
A Gazebo (http://www.brunchma.com/archives/Forum13/HTML/000133.html)

Actually, I recently ran an encounter involving the cast of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI
Admittedly, the dozen badgers weren't much of a challenge. But the pair of myconid barbarians (yeah, that should work) and a huge snake (coiled atop the aforementioned gazebo) were alright for a truly random encounter...all in the middle of Chapter 2 of The Red Hand of Doom.

Heck, if they're net-savvy, throw in some net memes. An epic battle between Longcat and tacgnol? Assorted Lol-cats wielding invisible weapons, in their bags of holdings eatin' their cheeseburgers?

You actually ran that encounter (the dire badgers, myconids, and giant snake, that is)? I've been planning that exact scenario forever, but could never bring myself to actually throw it at a group.

Jastermereel
2011-03-01, 04:07 PM
You actually ran that encounter (the dire badgers, myconids, and giant snake, that is)? I've been planning that exact scenario forever, but could never bring myself to actually throw it at a group.

I did indeed. It was silly, but the party often is too. I mean, we have a Catfolk Bard who uses fingerpuppets and bells, and a Goliath Barbarian who is allegedly a diplomat on behalf of her people.

The snake helped me hold down the party's big damage dealer for a while (until she remembered her grapple was much better when raging), but after she broke free, the badgers (which had dealt a total of 2 damage to the party) were gone within a round (thank you great cleave).

Not all that impressive a fight, but it was meant as a semi-random encounter to let them kill something (as they had mostly done social interactions that session, and would likely do the same next time). The highpoint was possibly when the rogue missed and hit the scenery: "There is now a gazebo with a crossbow bolt sticking out of it; it does not respond in any way. "

Dvandemon
2011-03-01, 04:11 PM
Okay, how about a high charisma Diva, with levels in Gun Mage (a divine variant) and a high Dex Diva, with levels in Fighter, Weapon Focus+Greater Weapon Focus(Katana) + Dual wielding? All of their weapons deal extra divine damage (or a suitable eqivalent)

nedz
2011-03-01, 07:05 PM
A levitating Pomegranite, out of which is bursting a giant Goldfish. From its gaping jaw leap two Siberian Tigers. A Rifle hangs midair, poised to bayonet a reclining Venus. Whilst an Elephant, with unfeasibly long legs and wearing a Pyramid-Houda, gambols across the horizon.

Alternatively: Two Ogres playing Kobald Jenga.

TheStranger
2011-03-01, 07:46 PM
Police box?

The Cat Goddess
2011-03-01, 08:03 PM
Okay, I have an idea for the very first encounter...

When the 4th Wall is broken, the building blocks of reality fly everywhere and a glass elemental filled with red liquid comes in and yells "Oh Yeah!"

Strife Warzeal
2011-03-01, 08:08 PM
How about: a guy walks out and asks, "Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Eight-years-old."
Silent hill has been on the brain...

slaydemons
2011-03-01, 08:09 PM
I got another Idea, Big books with the words player's handbook and monster manual come out they summon mobs or stuff everytime their pages turn

Narren
2011-03-01, 08:18 PM
7. One Word: Thriller

Thief! I was about to post about an androgynous Bard/Cleric and its dancing zombies.

Narren
2011-03-01, 08:19 PM
How about: a guy walks out and asks, "Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Eight-years-old."
Silent hill has been on the brain...

I would just stab myself in the face and call it a day.

Strife Warzeal
2011-03-01, 08:26 PM
I would just stab myself in the face and call it a day.

I'm just curious why, hate the game? hate the character? The line itself? or the idea of silent hill coming into the universe and (probably) killing everybody? or none of the above and it's something else?

V that makes perfect sense now that you put it that way (especially if James wanders in too with Pyramid head following).

Narren
2011-03-01, 08:31 PM
I'm just curious why, hate the game? hate the character? The line itself? or the idea of silent hill coming into the universe and (probably) killing everybody? or none of the above and it's something else?

Love the game, like the character, the line was well delivered and subtle, and I'd jump at the chance to play a properly run Silent Hill game. That's just my reaction if it were to happen to ME. :smalltongue:

Sith_Happens
2011-03-02, 01:54 AM

THIS.

The first thing to come out of the rift should be a potted plant. It (audibly) thinks, "Not again," before smashing on the ground.

A commoner who simply runs through the chaos yelling, "Jason?"

If you want to scare the pants off of your players, three creepy-looking angel statues. While they seem perfectly inert, every time that no one is looking at them, even for an instant (you might want to roll percentiles or something for this if there are too many other creatures around, and keep in mind that merely blinking counts), they are in a different square and possibly a different pose. If they are found to be in the square a creature was just in, that creature is simply gone. If this happens to a PC, they find that they have been transported some interval of time into the past greater than their maximum lifespan.

Mr.Smashy
2011-03-02, 08:01 AM
Thief! I was about to post about an androgynous Bard/Cleric and its dancing zombies.

:smallbiggrin: i think that i like that.

panaikhan
2011-03-02, 08:09 AM
The angels from Dr. Who are simply rip-off's of Stephen King's possessed topiary. :smalltongue:

Gravitron5000
2011-03-02, 08:55 AM
If you plan on all hell breaking loose, you might want to call on LEEEROOOOY JEEEENKIIIINS!!!

stainboy
2011-03-02, 09:19 AM
-Awakened Scarecrow Factotum
-Warforged Bard/Warblade, with Greataxe
-Razorclaw Shifter Apostle of Peace
-Human Sorcerer with Boots of Plane Shift, favoring chromatic/prismatic spells
-Forest Gnome Werewolf.

If this isn't challenging enough, add Spirits of the Air and Treant War Hulks as needed.

Chilingsworth
2011-03-02, 09:30 AM
-Awakened Scarecrow Factotum
-Warforged Bard/Warblade, with Greataxe
-Razorclaw Shifter Apostle of Peace
-Human Sorcerer with Boots of Plane Shift, favoring chromatic/prismatic spells
-Forest Gnome Werewolf.

If this isn't challenging enough, add Spirits of the Air and Treant War Hulks as needed.

What, if anything, is this a reference to?

The-Mage-King
2011-03-02, 09:33 AM
What, if anything, is this a reference to?

We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhd05NYNPU)

Chess435
2011-03-02, 10:16 AM
I hereby declare this thread to be made of win.

Narren
2011-03-02, 05:17 PM
The last thing to come from the rift should be an endless supply of rocks. Everyone dies.

Goober4473
2011-03-02, 05:55 PM
A bald man with a plate of cheese.

A rift to an entire universe full of shrimp.

Draz74
2011-03-02, 07:05 PM
Dolphins fleeing an apocalypse while singing, "So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Vknight
2011-03-02, 07:16 PM
Here are a few

-Carmen Sandeigo
-Chibi Version of the players characters
-Claw from Inspector Gadget completly hidden in the shadow of course
-M. Bison
-A man is black armor the breathes heavily
-Tom Cruise
-Tim Curry
-Michael Caine
-A guy with a large army of puppets. A Frog, A Pig, A Bear, A Thing, A large number of Rats, 1 giant with lfaming red hair, A shadowy figure

Heres a hint for the last one.
Jim (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JimHenson)

dark.sun.druid
2011-03-02, 07:38 PM
Dolphins fleeing an apocalypse while singing, "So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Also, a bowl of petunias that flies out of the rift, possibly smashing one of the players in the head. If the PCs make a DC 20 listen check, they hear it releasing dying words (in the style of the Illumians), saying "Oh no, not again."

And a whale. Crush some horrendously powerful thing underneath it. :smallbiggrin:

You should definitely have some of the OOTS characters pop out, if any of your players read the comic.

I would also like to personally suggest Captain Olimar and a bunch of Pikmin.

Red Pikmin -- Immune to Fire, Tiny size, 5d6 slam attack when thrown by Olimar(range 30'), 2d6 slam attack when fighting on the ground.
Purple Pikmin -- DR 10/-, Tiny size, 6d6 slam attack when thrown by Olimar(range 10'), 3d6 slam attack when fighting on the ground, 50% chance to stun anyone they are thrown at.
White Pikmin -- Immune to Poison, Tiny Size, 3d6 Slam attack when thrown by Olimar (range 30'), 1d6 slam attack when fighting on the ground, Blindsight 30', On death they release a cloud of poison in a 5' radius (DC 30, 2d6 CON/2d6 CON)
Yellow Pikmin -- Immune to Electricity, Tiny size, 3d6 slam attack when thrown by Olimar (range 50'), 1d6 slam attack when fighting on the ground
Blue Pikmin -- Immune to Cold, Tiny size, 3d6 Slam attack when thrown by Olimar (range 30'), 1d6 slam attack when fighting on the ground, Amphibious
Olimar -- Pikmin Leadership (Can lead up to HD of each type of Pikmin), Pikmin Throwing (Any other creature attempting to throw Pikmin takes 10 damage (no save) and drops the Pikmin in their square), Vulnerable to Piercing Damage, Small size, Call Pikmin (all Pikmin within 50' move as close to Olimar as possible; All Pikmin always act on Olimar's turn), Escape Ship (if there are no obstructions, Olimar can summon a rocket ship (10'x10'x50') as a full-round action. The following round, he and all his Pikmin enter this ship. The next round, the ship blasts off, smashing through any ceiling that might be in its way and doing 2d10 sonic damage to all creatures within 20' of the ship. The ship has a hardness of 20 and 80 HP. If it is destroyed, Olimar must begin this process anew, or can choose not to summon the ship)

OracleofWuffing
2011-03-02, 08:55 PM
A big, bright red tank that can climb on the walls and ceilings, shoot spread missles, homing missiles, lightning out of its wheel-like treads, swim, and fly.

The pilot turns out to be a 12 year old boy (optional: accompanied by a similairly young outsider girl). He asks the players, "Have you seen my frog?"
Yes, I'm aware most of that is non-canon today, but it beats the real canon by a mile.:smallannoyed:

Chilingsworth
2011-03-02, 09:02 PM
A big, bright red tank that can climb on the walls and ceilings, shoot spread missles, homing missiles, lightning out of its wheel-like treads, swim, and fly.

The pilot turns out to be a 12 year old boy (optional: accompanied by a similairly young outsider girl). He asks the players, "Have you seen my frog?"
Yes, I'm aware most of that is non-canon today, but it beats the real canon by a mile.:smallannoyed:

OK, what anime is this one??

Vknight
2011-03-02, 09:15 PM
Actually its a game.
'Blaster Master'
In it you play a 10-12 year old boy. He pilots Sofia the Third, a red tank that can Hover, Climb on Walls, has a Dive Module, Missiles, and Laser Guns.
He is looking for his pet froggy using Sofia to travel the distance lands

OracleofWuffing
2011-03-02, 09:23 PM
It's not an anime. :smallsmile:

Blaster Master, for the Nintendo. It got additional games for the game boy (that one actually isn't a Blaster Master game, but it got the branding when it was ported to English), the Sega Genesis (kinda bleh), the Playstation (so-so), the Game Boy Color (a little better than so-so), and most recently Blaster Master Overdrive for the Wii and maybe other systems? (Either way, back down to so-so.)

Anyhow, the NES game was about repelling an attack from space invaders. They then released it in America as a game about a boy whose pet frog jumps into a toxic waste hole and suddenly there's a tank. Then there was a novelisation of it and the tank belongs to a good alien that's trying to stop the Plutonium Boss from destroying our planet like it did to hers. The other games pretty much cherry pick whatever they want from all that and add new stuff as the want, so the evil aliens/lighting warriors/plutonium boss is now a bioterror weapon.

And I did this all on my mobile device, so I was probably beaten.

Chilingsworth
2011-03-02, 09:27 PM
Yeah, after getting the name, I just looked it up on tvtropes. Sounds like something that should be made into an anime, to me!

Vknight
2011-03-02, 09:29 PM
Hahhah I Swordaged someone by several minutes!!
Finally I bring the sword not the other way!

OracleofWuffing
2011-03-02, 09:43 PM
Hahhah I Swordaged someone by several minutes!!
Finally I bring the sword not the other way!

:smalltongue: Bah, these thumbs are made for sailing, jumping on goombas, and drilling holes to the moon, not typing video game trivia. Incidentally, one can play as a toned down Sophia the 3rd in that Super Mario Bros. Crossover flash game, if I recall correctly. I'd link to it, but I can't do flash at the moment.

The trailer where that character announced ended with, "Thank you Sophia the 3rd! But is all this necessary just to find a frog?"

Edit: Link (http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/super-mario-bros-crossover), who knows, it might serve a little bit more inspiration to making things go wacky- give the players fire flowers and mushrooms. Also, the character announcement trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGwMqUB2Ceg).

d13
2011-03-02, 11:16 PM
A blonde guy, with a weird haircut and an anoying perma-smile, waving constatly his hand, approaches the party. Going straight for the leader, he introduces himself:

"Hi, my name is Guybrush Threepwood, and I want to be a pirate!"

Sith_Happens
2011-03-03, 12:29 AM
An NPC adventuring party, a number of whose members are obviously below D&D's normal minimum adventuring age. The first one is a boomerang fighter (~age 16), while the other four are all warlocks with custom invocation lists:

1. Teenage girl (~14) wearing blue. Invocations consist of all spells with the Water or Cold descriptor, as well as all touch range healing spells.

2. Young girl (~12?), blind but with tremorsense. Invocations consist of all spells with the Earth descriptor.

3. Young man (~18?) with a scar on his face. Invocations consist of all spells with the Fire descriptor. Gestalt Warlock//Fighter/Dervish.

4. Young boy (~12), bald with blue arrow tatoos. Invocations consist of all spells with the Water, Fire, Earth, and Air descriptors, but uses the Air invocations by far the most frequently. Gestalt Warlock//Monk.

------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a truly epic battle, pick whichever Marvel villain/entity you think is the most powerful (while still being defeatable by a 26th level party, though that's a pretty high bar anyways) and force everyone else who ends up being present to team up against him/her/it.

Vknight
2011-03-03, 12:35 AM
A man with black robes and a glowing red sword.

Also 7Dwarves and a Halfling.

slaydemons
2011-03-03, 12:58 AM
two halflings in a suit of armor

(this one might be a bit out there as this is a refrence from overlord in which one villager says that you can be two halflings in a suit of armor)

Vknight
2011-03-03, 01:02 AM
Or an Elf fused to a Trent. A Paladin with Succubus wife. A Dwarf riding a deadly machine. A Theif that is whiny. A powerful Giant warrior. A Fat Halfling that is Large sized.

To name some others

Silverlich
2011-03-03, 06:16 AM
Tv Tropes.

Vknight
2011-03-03, 07:09 AM
Tv Tropes.

But that will doom them to an eternity of wandering:smalleek:

Badgercloak
2011-03-03, 07:44 AM
Pokemon, unleash pokemon on them.

Or have "the players" spill in from our dimension in to the game. That would be weird.

slaydemons
2011-03-03, 10:11 AM
Or an Elf fused to a Trent. A Paladin with Succubus wife. A Dwarf riding a deadly machine. A Theif that is whiny. A powerful Giant warrior. A Fat Halfling that is Large sized.

To name some others

you mean succubus lover and a greedy wife :D

Chess435
2011-03-03, 10:22 AM
But that will doom them to an eternity of wandering:smalleek:

TV tropes has already ruined my life. As well as the lives of half my party. :smalltongue:

John Cribati
2011-03-03, 10:56 AM
The Falcon Punch. Not Captain Falcon, just his punch.

Joshinthemosh
2011-03-03, 02:07 PM
Pokemon, unleash pokemon on them.

Or have "the players" spill in from our dimension in to the game. That would be weird.

I got 4 and a half pages in and thought I'd be the first to mention Pokemon. But let's specify shall we?

Druid Level whatever you like

1st round-Summon Dropping Snorlax. Leave there as an obstacle for the rest of the game. Pray to god no one has a Poke Flute because that won't end well.

2nd-Summon a squad of Machamps. Give them all Two Weapon Fighting. And the Titan Bloodline. Dual wielding collossal warhammers two handed.

3rd-Summon anything that can make it rain.

4th-Summon Pikachu. Thunderbolt.

And scene

Sith_Happens
2011-03-05, 08:02 AM
I got 4 and a half pages in and thought I'd be the first to mention Pokemon. But let's specify shall we?

Druid Level whatever you like

1st round-Summon Dropping Snorlax. Leave there as an obstacle for the rest of the game. Pray to god no one has a Poke Flute because that won't end well.

2nd-Summon a squad of Machamps. Give them all Two Weapon Fighting. And the Titan Bloodline. Dual wielding collossal warhammers two handed.

3rd-Summon anything that can make it rain.

4th-Summon Pikachu. Thunderbolt.

And scene

Or:

1st Round- Summon Mewtwo.

2nd Round- ???

3rd Round- Profit.

Dvandemon
2011-03-05, 12:16 PM
The angels from Dr. Who are simply rip-off's of Stephen King's possessed topiary. :smalltongue:

It's not like the concept is that original anyways :smalltongue:

Vknight
2011-03-05, 01:02 PM
TV tropes has already ruined my life. As well as the lives of half my party. :smalltongue:

Exactlly see that dire consequences do the characters lives wish to be ruined.

Joshinthemosh
2011-03-05, 08:30 PM
Or:

2nd Round- ???

3rd Round- Profit.

That is also an more than acceptable scenario

OracleofWuffing
2011-03-06, 02:03 PM
Or:

2nd Round- ???

3rd Round- Profit.

Better make that Deoxys or Rayquaza. You want that Extremespeed in case some wise guy throws out the level 1 rattata with a focus sash.

Sith_Happens
2011-03-07, 05:20 AM
Better make that Deoxys or Rayquaza. You want that Extremespeed in case some wise guy throws out the level 1 rattata with a focus sash.

I'm positive that in his translation to d20, Mewtwo would acquire any number of ways of bypassing something as trivial as a Focus Sash (i.e.- epic level psionics).

Istari
2011-03-07, 06:26 AM
A teenager with spikey hair and a odd shaped sword, as well as his anthropic animal followers.

panaikhan
2011-03-07, 08:30 AM
A depressed Dodecahedron, who's only friend is a Barbarian with a Greataxe.