PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Vow of Wilderness, hb request

pilvento
2011-03-03, 01:35 PM
hey playgrounders, this is my first post requesting a homebrew and here it goes...

my build for next long campaing is ready:

wild elf werewolf, barbarian, fist of the forest, warshaper, runescar berserker

The idea is to use the Vow of poverty from BoED but really, a werewolf barbarian feeding homeless kids? so i want u people to help rebuild or just fluf this feat.

the idea is to keep most of its features and change stuff like dr/evil for dr/lawfull and change substenace for some other effect.

please do ur best and feel free to give me any suggestions !!! thanks !!!

Loki_42
2011-03-03, 02:40 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140428) should help you, it's a very useful vow of poverty fix in which one of the goals was to make it alignment: Any. Enjoy!

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-03, 02:52 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140428) should help you, it's a very useful vow of poverty fix in which one of the goals was to make it alignment: Any. Enjoy!

Seconded, not based on alignment and fixes a lot of issues VoP had.

Psyborg
2011-03-03, 03:12 PM

Thirded; used and using it with no real problems. AC can be a trifle high at low levels, but not disturbingly so.

Venardhi
2011-03-03, 05:44 PM
I'm doing something pretty much the same with a character I'm building for a new campaign. The only things that really jump out as needing more than flavor fixes are the DR and the Feats.

If you're going for a 'wild' vow, I would say don't just turn it into an evil version of VoP, since the wild isn't evil, it is neutral. A lion doesn't nurse a feeble hippo back to health, but neither will he go out of his way to kill it unless he needs the food. Rain falls on those who need it and those who don't even want it without favor, the sun grants life but also dries, burns and starts destructive fires. Nature does its thing, there is nothing good or evil about it, nothing selfish or selfless innate to its forces.

You're still a paragon of selfless devotion to a cause, which is hard to see as evil. Evil tends to be selfish by nature. If it is a dedication to nature, you might do what some would see as evil deeds in the name of protecting nature, wild animals, etc. but it would be for a cause you see as necessary, not for your own benefit.

The way I and my DM are handling it is a bit of reflavoring with anything that can be adapted without much effort(Exalted Companion, Nymph's Kiss or Intuitive Attack for example) and ditching anything that can't be for a few picks from the Wild Feats in Complete Divine.

We also built a template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189087) for those who have been chosen by nature rather than those who necessarily chose the way of the wild themselves.

pilvento
2011-03-04, 01:44 PM
I'm doing something pretty much the same with a character I'm building for a new campaign. The only things that really jump out as needing more than flavor fixes are the DR and the Feats.

If you're going for a 'wild' vow, I would say don't just turn it into an evil version of VoP, since the wild isn't evil, it is neutral. A lion doesn't nurse a feeble hippo back to health, but neither will he go out of his way to kill it unless he needs the food. Rain falls on those who need it and those who don't even want it without favor, the sun grants life but also dries, burns and starts destructive fires. Nature does its thing, there is nothing good or evil about it, nothing selfish or selfless innate to its forces.

You're still a paragon of selfless devotion to a cause, which is hard to see as evil. Evil tends to be selfish by nature. If it is a dedication to nature, you might do what some would see as evil deeds in the name of protecting nature, wild animals, etc. but it would be for a cause you see as necessary, not for your own benefit.

The way I and my DM are handling it is a bit of reflavoring with anything that can be adapted without much effort(Exalted Companion, Nymph's Kiss or Intuitive Attack for example) and ditching anything that can't be for a few picks from the Wild Feats in Complete Divine.

We also built a template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189087) for those who have been chosen by nature rather than those who necessarily chose the way of the wild themselves.

thanks thats a good starting place for the flavor about this wild vow wich is actually for what im looking for.

if u keep wonking on the idea, keep me informed please. ill call my DM to check this post

Venardhi
2011-03-04, 05:16 PM
If there is interest I'd be happy to document our adaptations properly.

In fact it would be very useful if you could help me with picking out some magical beasts that would suit as replacements for the Celestial ones they offer from the Exalted Familiar and Exalted Wild Shape, as that is one thing I'm having a bit of trouble with.

pilvento
2011-03-04, 11:20 PM
since im playing a werewolf barbarian, i have no interest in those features...

but still ill take a look and ask my friends, ill post any idea we come out

Venardhi
2011-03-05, 06:26 PM
Well the many 'free' Exalted feats are a major component of the Vow, so dropping them in favor of standard flavorless feats seems something of a waste of potential. You don't want someone abusing the system by taking a bunch of feats that make no sense in the context of being devoted to nature.

Which ones from the list are appealing to you, or what feats from other books might suit or be good with some reasonable tweaking or reflavoring?

Right now I'm looking through the monster manuals for potential neutral magical beasts or mobile plants with low Int scores and not overly powerful abilities to put up in place of Pegassi, Unicorns, Giant Owls, etc.

Would anyone find these creatures to be of suitable power/flavor for alternatives:

Girallon
Hippogriff
Owlbear
Krenshar (there is even mention of them making good companions in their entry!?!)
Shambling Mound
Darkmantle
Swamplight Lynx
Cloaked Ape
Blood Ape
Terror Bird

Reflavored versions of Giant Eagles and Owls are easy enough(Giant Ravens? Giant Vultures? what makes an Owl or Eagle good exactly? But, there aren't really suitable equivalents of Blink Dogs, Asperi, etc.

Instead of applying celestial template, a toned down woodling template?