PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Laptop

Istari
2011-03-04, 07:17 PM
Buying myself a laptop soon, but frankly I have no idea how to go about it. So, I figured that I'd ask the playground for help.

Budget
Can do anywhere up to $500 dollars, willing to spend up to $600 if it's worth it.

Looking for something reasonably portable, it doesn't have to be netbook sized, but it should be reasonably easy to move around.
Definitely want a good wireless card.
Should be able to run some games on there like Team Fortress 2. It doesn't need to have a great graphics card, but I should be able to run some games.

I'll answer any questions, and your help is appreciated.

Phishfood
2011-03-08, 08:11 AM
well, my advice is to not get suckered in with the cheaper brands that might be higher spec for less money *cough* acer *cough*. In my experience you will find that the damn thing breaks just out of warranty and is not near as good value as it looked on paper. Stick with a good brand like the big 3 (hp, dell, fujitsu-siemens) and you will have a lot more solid long lasting piece of hardware.

Beyond that it sounds like you want a standard 15" laptop and just make sure the spec exceeds the minimum for any games you do want to play. Personally, I would rather blow the budget and get the laptop I actually wanted than stick to the budget and end up with something that I don't like.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-08, 09:49 AM
500 dollars for a good laptop? Man, what kind of country you live in that the economy supports that? :smalltongue:

((In my country, the good laptops and notebooks start at 1000 dollars and go up from there. The cheaper ones are just good for browsing the need and using Microsoft Word.))

Don Julio Anejo
2011-03-08, 10:58 PM
What you've got there is that you need something: a) portable, b) under $600, c) can run games you want.

The problem? You'll need to choose 2 out of these 3. No way of going around it. Oh, and don't expect any sort of battery life.

For games like TF2, generally most laptops with a graphics card (like the nVidia m330) will do fine and will meet the minimum requirements. The problem is the cheap ones with one are nowhere near portable (run at 7+ pounds).

Your best bet is to check out Asus, although even then you're looking for around $700.

turkishproverb
2011-03-08, 10:59 PM
I recommend TOshiba as far as major brands go. Durable as all get out.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-03-08, 11:03 PM
I recommend TOshiba as far as major brands go. Durable as all get out.
Really, Toshiba??? They're one of the least reliable brands out there.

turkishproverb
2011-03-08, 11:38 PM
Says who? I've seen those things fall down staircases and off ledges and come out fully operational. Recent ones. Mine (less recent) has survived years upon years, and the only thing to ever need replacement was the adapter.

Trixie
2011-03-10, 08:00 AM
well, my advice is to not get suckered in with the cheaper brands that might be higher spec for less money *cough* acer *cough*. In my experience you will find that the damn thing breaks just out of warranty and is not near as good value as it looked on paper. Stick with a good brand like the big 3 (hp, dell, fujitsu-siemens) and you will have a lot more solid long lasting piece of hardware.

Why? Acers are fine. These they're crainking out recently can be top quality. The older models are problematic, but I have 6 year old Acer with skin full of cracks from handling, still works prefectly, it's silent, and very portable.

These three 'big 3' brands are the ones that you have most problems with, grab Asus, Gateway/Acer (the same company), or maybe MSI? I haven't looked at the market lately.

Beyond that it sounds like you want a standard 15" laptop and just make sure the spec exceeds the minimum for any games you do want to play. Personally, I would rather blow the budget and get the laptop I actually wanted than stick to the budget and end up with something that I don't like.

I don't know. This could lead to a bit of problems. Istari, I'd grab anything 15'' with ATI 5650 (or 5730) card if I were you, these are some best laptops for the price on the market currently. With dual-card if possible.