PDA

View Full Version : I have camera fright!

TheArsenal
2011-03-05, 06:36 AM
I can act! I can mug, I can make subtle stuff, and I can do it all on-stage! And I know how to improvise! I can also sing and can compose (Well just find a rhythm that I like and make rhyms). But I have camera fright. Whenever I record myself I instantly begin to fumble, and get nervous.

What should I do! I cant imagine the camera in its underwear! Its a Camera!

Mad Mask
2011-03-05, 09:59 AM
Ignore it, pretend it's not there. Not looking at the camera is a quality in the acting world, and I assume in several other media.

rayne_dragon
2011-03-05, 10:11 AM
Put underwear on the camera... just not in the way of the lens. Then you'll know what a camera in it's underwear looks like.

That said, I agree with Mad Mask about ignoring it. Pretend it isn't there.

D Johnston
2011-03-05, 11:00 AM
Third on what Mask said. Since you're not supposed to look at the camera, ignoring it is a good idea anyway. You might consider camouflaging the camera to make it easy to ignore - just don't block the lens or weigh it down too much.

Elder Tsofu
2011-03-05, 12:28 PM
Put underwear on the camera... just not in the way of the lens. Then you'll know what a camera in it's underwear looks like.

...scrumfh... ^^

*Is led away after falling down giggling from an undignified fit of dirty humour*

Jimor
2011-03-05, 05:52 PM
Practice in front of a running camera, but don't look at the results for the first few times. Get used to it being there without any consequences, and it will be easier to ignore it when it "counts".

I have pretty much the same problem, also hearing my recorded voice. It stems from the HUGE disconnect most of us have between our inward image of ourselves and seeing it "objectively". Even looking in a mirror doesn't have this same effect.

It would be even better if you can have somebody record you during your actual performances on stage so that you're concentrating on the audience instead of the camera, especially if they do it from the back at first. When you watch these, you'll see yourself more naturally engaged with the audience and it might not seem so much like YOU.

I work on a couple of television programs where we have musicians play live without an audience, and my advice to them about the cameras is this. "The camera is just ONE person in the audience. You wouldn't just stare at one person in the front row the whole time, you move your eye contact around the room, so do the same thing here. Move your eye contact around different objects in the studio, of which 3 happen to be cameras, and it will appear much more natural than either looking into a camera the whole time, or avoiding it altogether."

I've semi-gotten used to my voice because I have to do some voiceover work for a lot of my videos, but it just takes time and getting used to your voice or yourself on camera just being something to view objectively.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-06, 12:28 AM
Whenever I have to do something and get anxiety, I envision myself as someone confident and powerful. For some reason it's always King Leonidas from 300.

Orzel
2011-03-06, 10:42 AM
Get 2 souls so when the camera steals 1, the extra soul retains your bravery.

Or like everyone else says... ignore it, look at someone else, or practice with cameras a lot.

TheArsenal
2011-03-06, 10:56 AM
Thanks! It realy helped! I managed to get another soul just by sacrificing a couple of kittens. What a bargain!

Icewalker
2011-03-06, 11:11 PM
I like the idea of imagining the camera in its underwear anyway. Because it'll just be so incredibly absurd it'll be a solid distraction.