PDA

View Full Version : Five pound coins and other rare items.

xelliea
2011-03-05, 04:35 PM
I have finally aquired one for my collection, do any of you have one, are there any other rare and strange items you can think of that I should add to my collection.

paladinlady
2011-03-05, 04:38 PM
How about a pot of gold from the end of the rainbow...:smallsmile:?

MoonCat
2011-03-05, 04:39 PM
I've got a silver dollar and a British coin from queen Victoria's time...

xelliea
2011-03-05, 04:40 PM
How about a pot of gold at the end from the rainbow...?

... hm, maybe I should change the OP to "items that are possible to get". :smalltongue:

golentan
2011-03-05, 05:01 PM
... hm, maybe I should change the OP to "items that are possible to get". :smalltongue:

Oh, that one's fairly easy. Admittedly it involves a small heist, but the "unmarked car" they use to transport the gold is laughably easy to spot.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/photoshop4/suv.jpg
:smallwink:

xelliea
2011-03-06, 06:42 AM
Oh, that one's fairly easy. Admittedly it involves a small heist, but the "unmarked car" they use to transport the gold is laughably easy to spot.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/photoshop4/suv.jpg
:smallwink:

So it's more of "a rainbow that ends next to the pot of gold" than and "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-03-06, 07:44 AM
I once found - somewhere in an attic or some equivalent - a shiny white sequinned purse full of old money - lots of 1 and 2c coins, paper notes, coins from all over the world...
I don't know what happened to it :smallfrown:

In the meanwhilst, I have a few foreign coins about.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-07, 12:10 AM
I once found - somewhere in an attic or some equivalent - a shiny white sequinned purse full of old money - lots of 1 and 2c coins, paper notes, coins from all over the world...
I don't know what happened to it :smallfrown:

My mother has a purse like that - lots of old coins, mostly Australia - a few really big old florins and a bunch of others. It's coming to me in the long-term. I also have a tin (back at my parents place actually) with old coins in it. Something that was my mother's idea - my sister and I each have a tin (that I think originally contained toffee, oddly enough I can remember what it tasted like) and she put one of each type of coin and paper note into it. Now that most of the coins are no longer in use, I have them stored away. Just have to wait long enough for them to become rare and valuable :smalltongue:

I also have a few bits and pieces I collected when I did my fieldwork for my Masters - one broken piece of plate, porcelain white with a blue design, a piece of dark red brick and a couple of bits of broken bottles one with some writing on it. Not really worth anything, since they aren't diagnostic items and there's no provenance associated with them, but they're nice to have all the same.

littlebottom
2011-03-07, 12:19 AM
5 coins are rare relatively speaking, since they tend to be made to commemorate some event, and thus when you get one, you dont really use it so they dont trade hands very often at all. ive got a few, living in england makes that easier...

but along the lines of "rare items" 95% of rare items that i want are, well... japanese. or more accurately FF7 stuff :smallredface: im a total geek for that game, and i want one of the (something like) 1000 ever made aeiths theme music box's! GIMME ONE! and so many other things that are so awesome that dissapear before you get a chance to get your hands on them...

other than that i dont really collect stuff other maybe a bit of Magic cards every now and then, and just because a card is "rare" or "mythic rare" or even foil versions of those, its nice, but not a "yay!" thing to have, or something to really go out of your way for, so i actually have very few collectable things that i physically collect. most i dont see the point in unless they fall into my hands on their own (like 5 coins) but the rare stuff i actually want is so unbelievebly rare that ill likely never get my hands on any of them.:smallfrown: (hell im such a sucker for FF7 stuff, i almost bought a second PS3 just because it had the cloudy wolf on it and only X many were made)

arguskos
2011-03-07, 12:35 AM
My mother has a purse like that - lots of old coins, mostly Australia - a few really big old florins and a bunch of others.
The term "florin" refers to like 15 types of coins. Most frequently, the florin is understood to be an Italian gold piece, first minted in the 1200's. In the name of numismatic accuracy, to please define your use of terminology.

This has been a Public Numismatic Announcement. Thank you for your time.

Ok, now that my moment of "RAWRCOINTERMINOLOGY" is over with, I have another note, this time to the OP. You are aware that you can purchase five pound coins direct from the Royal Mint, yes? :smallconfused: Unless you acquired a specific year (finding a 1990 would be tricky indeed), of course.

If you want a very difficult to acquire coin, I suggest attempting to acquire an 1838-O United States Half-Dollar. Only twenty were ever minted. You get one of those, and you can officially call your self a hardcore coin collector. Also, the preceding coin costs like $400,000 at auction. :smalleek:

Lady Moreta
2011-03-07, 12:44 AM
The term "florin" refers to like 15 types of coins. Most frequently, the florin is understood to be an Italian gold piece, first minted in the 1200's. In the name of numismatic accuracy, to please define your use of terminology.

Really? I did not know that.

All I know is that the coin itself says 'florin' on it and it's Australian. Unfortunately, the purse and its contents belong to my mother and she's - well, in another country, so I can't just run and check it for more details :smalltongue:

arguskos
2011-03-07, 12:52 AM
Really? I did not know that.

All I know is that the coin itself says 'florin' on it and it's Australian. Unfortunately, the purse and its contents belong to my mother and she's - well, in another country, so I can't just run and check it for more details :smalltongue:
An Australian Florin was, according to some rapid research, worth 24 pence, or two shillings, or 1/10th of a pound. However, since Australia was decimalized at the same time as Britain, it's worth nothing now. It's possible the coin is worth material, depending on year minted and the Australian minting procedures (not up to speed on those, sorry).

It *is* a pretty coin though, and that counts for something.

Mikhailangelo
2011-03-07, 03:44 AM
I have one of the last Victorian coins, minted circa 1900, and one of the first Edwardian coins - 1901

Serpentine
2011-03-07, 04:32 AM
I also have a few bits and pieces I collected when I did my fieldwork for my Masters - one broken piece of plate, porcelain white with a blue design, a piece of dark red brick and a couple of bits of broken bottles one with some writing on it. Not really worth anything, since they aren't diagnostic items and there's no provenance associated with them, but they're nice to have all the same.A friend of my mum's used to go digging in the mudflats of the Hume Weir near Old Tallangatta.

- background info: Tallangatta is known as "The town that moved in the 1950s!". When the Hume Dam was built in the 1950s, it was going to swamp most of the town of Tallangatta. So they picked up the whole* town and moved it downstream a couple of ks. When the water is low (most of the time...), you can see the streets and lots where the town used to be. That's where this guy went digging. -

He had a pretty big collection of various things, mostly bottles, that he found there. He let me pick a couple: I have a big lemonade bottle, the sort with the squished neck and the marble that was used to stopper it - relatively rare, so I was told, because kids tended to smash the bottles to get the marble; I think the little green bottle, like a mini wine bottle, was from there, too; and a rectangular ink pot. I used to have the classic round sort of ink pot, but it got broke :smallfrown:

*most of

GrlumpTheElder
2011-03-07, 05:16 AM
I think medieval coins are pretty cool, and not that common, yet thankfully not too expensive either.

I actually have a few 5 coins, you could exchange 5 regular pounds for them at the post office during big events here in England. I imagine there will be one released next year for the olympics, maybe one this year for Prince Harry and Kate Middleton's wedding.

littlebottom
2011-03-07, 06:15 AM
A friend of my mum's used to go digging in the mudflats of the Hume Weir near Old Tallangatta.

- background info: Tallangatta is known as "The town that moved in the 1950s!". When the Hume Dam was built in the 1950s, it was going to swamp most of the town of Tallangatta. So they picked up the whole* town and moved it downstream a couple of ks. When the water is low (most of the time...), you can see the streets and lots where the town used to be. That's where this guy went digging. -

He had a pretty big collection of various things, mostly bottles, that he found there. He let me pick a couple: I have a big lemonade bottle, the sort with the squished neck and the marble that was used to stopper it - relatively rare, so I was told, because kids tended to smash the bottles to get the marble; I think the little green bottle, like a mini wine bottle, was from there, too; and a rectangular ink pot. I used to have the classic round sort of ink pot, but it got broke :smallfrown:

*most of

i know those bottles! i have one right now with the marble i mean...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramune

its a popular drink in japan, they use the same bottling method with the marble, as far as i know its the only modern day company that does it anymore. (or atleast on any sort of scale)

Adlan
2011-03-07, 06:52 AM
Got a Thruppney Bit? Thats an interesting one.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-03-07, 07:15 AM
I actually have a few 5 coins, you could exchange 5 regular pounds for them at the post office during big events here in England. I imagine there will be one released next year for the olympics, maybe one this year for Prince Harry and Kate Middleton's wedding.

That's a new development. :smalleek:
:smalltongue:

Em Blackleaf
2011-03-09, 05:54 PM
THAT'S ONE HEAVY COIN.

Okay, I'm done. I don't have any cool things besides a $2 bill I've misplaced. :smalltongue:

Gorgondantess
2011-03-09, 06:04 PM
I have a... 1907 5 dollar bill. It's pretty cool- it's a sortof rust-pink color. I also have a two dollar bill, and a jar full of 50 cent pieces I use for magic tricks.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-09, 06:07 PM
Mine: A tiny elephant made out of Malachite and a cube made out of Fool's Gold, 1894 Indian Head Penny.

Grandfather's passed down to Mom: Signature of Ghandi

Grandfather's passed down to Mom given away to History Prof. friend: Newspaper from the week Lincoln was shot.

arguskos
2011-03-09, 06:25 PM
I have a... 1907 5 dollar bill. It's pretty cool- it's a sortof rust-pink color. I also have a two dollar bill, and a jar full of 50 cent pieces I use for magic tricks.
Out of curiosity, where'd you get the half-dollars? They're vanishingly hard to find around here. Hell, if you're in my general area, I'd just buy some from you, cause I really would like a few and just can't find the damn things. :smallsigh:

Gorgondantess
2011-03-09, 09:13 PM
Out of curiosity, where'd you get the half-dollars? They're vanishingly hard to find around here. Hell, if you're in my general area, I'd just buy some from you, cause I really would like a few and just can't find the damn things. :smallsigh:

Go to your local bank with two quarters. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.

arguskos
2011-03-09, 09:25 PM
Go to your local bank with two quarters. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.
Nah, not all banks exchange 'em. What, you think I didn't already do that? Seriously? I'm a hardcore numismatist, of *course* I tried that. :smalltongue:

I assume your response means you only got them from banks, though. Unhelpful to me.

The_JJ
2011-03-09, 11:27 PM
I've got a pair of Bismark's glasses.

Trixie
2011-03-10, 07:53 AM
Irbis recently gave me three different 2 coins. I beleive he got them in regular circulation, so they're not even special pieces.

I also have Russian 3 Ruble coin from 1811. It's... pretty.

grimbold
2011-03-10, 11:56 AM
you should try and get money from every country in the world
that would be cool

LaZodiac
2011-03-10, 12:00 PM
Well, I might be wrong, but I guess the Loonie and Toonie of Canada might be considered rare coinage. I mean, the Toonie is a small gold colored coin inside a silver colored one, and it's worth two dollars, I figure that might be unique.

MoonCat
2011-03-10, 08:03 PM
Well, I might be wrong, but I guess the Loonie and Toonie of Canada might be considered rare coinage. I mean, the Toonie is a small gold colored coin inside a silver colored one, and it's worth two dollars, I figure that might be unique.

I'd had loads of those, I got rid of them because they didn't really fit because they weren't rare at all.

Serpentine
2011-03-10, 11:03 PM
Irbis recently gave me three different 2 coins. I beleive he got them in regular circulation, so they're not even special pieces.Dunno about elsewhere, but Australia regularly has special, often commemorative coins. The 50c (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_commemorative_coins#50_cent_coin) alone has more than 65 designs.

Kneenibble
2011-03-10, 11:16 PM
I'd had loads of those, I got rid of them because they didn't really fit because they weren't rare at all.

Now find yourself one of the first mintings where the gold centre pops out, and you're closer to raretown. For about the first year I remember this was incredibly easy to do, then they changed the design.

I have a whole bunch of what I thought were silver dollars my grandfather gave me... but alas, they were minted in years when "silver" dollars were actually nickel. They're still cool -- just not very valuable.