PDA

View Full Version : Career Guidance!

KingOfLaughter
2011-03-05, 09:38 PM
So I'm going to join the CF (Canadian Forces) after I graduate highschool, I'm thinking of joining as a Vehicle Technician meaning I'd have to go through the paid education, which I can't do until I turn 17, so I'm joining the reserves after highschool until the spring semesters start and I am 17.

So I'm really wondering if anyone in the CF can inform me on what basic training involves, and how I should work out to get in shape?

Any other info that you might deem useful is very much appreciated! =]

Shyftir
2011-03-06, 09:57 AM
I don't know a lot about it but I knew a guy who was in the CF. He was very cool, a big BattleTech nerd. Good luck and of course go for it. Everything I hear about the CF is that they may be small but they are elite.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-06, 08:53 PM
Obviously I'm not a member - but I would suggest getting in touch with a recruiting officer and talking to them about what you can do while you wait to hit 17 :smallsmile:

KingOfLaughter
2011-03-06, 09:32 PM
I don't know a lot about it but I knew a guy who was in the CF. He was very cool, a big BattleTech nerd. Good luck and of course go for it. Everything I hear about the CF is that they may be small but they are elite.

Thanks for the support! Yea we're small but well trained. =P

Obviously I'm not a member - but I would suggest getting in touch with a recruiting officer and talking to them about what you can do while you wait to hit 17 :smallsmile:

Yea, I'm going to use the online recruitment chat tomorrow after school. =]

Shades of Gray
2011-03-06, 11:02 PM
As a fellow Canadian I commend you. Sadly, all I know about the Canadian Forces is that they have awesome Ads that would make me want to join the army if I wasn't out of shape and flat-footed.

KingOfLaughter
2011-03-06, 11:05 PM
As a fellow Canadian I commend you. Sadly, all I know about the Canadian Forces is that they have awesome Ads that would make me want to join the army if I wasn't out of shape and flat-footed.

Thank you sir. Yea, I never really saw the ads, I just think my country deserves my service.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-06, 11:10 PM
My sister's has basically set her life goal to be an officer in the CF, and she does her research. It makes me proud.

Anyways, work on endurance, more than you would expect. Lots of running. I hope you like running. With weights on. Running in full kit, aye, that's one thing she was talking about. Other than that, I don't know much.

But bravo and cheers!

And I have a CF recruitment poster in my basement. It goes alongside my Sex Pistols God Save the Queen poster, my Guns n Roses generic poster, my Led Zeppelin Mothership poster, and my Velvet Underground & Nico Andy Warhol poster. Aye, it's that cool. They do sweet advertisement. :smalltongue:

Shyftir
2011-03-07, 08:01 AM
I remember when I found out my friend was in the CF. My response was, "I didn't know you guys had a standing army." He soon set me straight.

Adlan
2011-03-07, 10:39 AM
Okay, well, I'm a Brit, I'm also a Reservist (and only barely that as well, being as I'm both UOTC (like ROTC), and on a years LOA). However, I think I might have some useful advice, culled from hanging around people with a lot more experience than me.

So passing on advice:
1. Get anything a recruiter promises in writing before you sign up. Don't be afraid to put your foot down. Once you are in the army, you do what they say when they say it. While you are still a civvie, make sure you get what you want, guaranteed. So, if you want to be an X, don't let them convince you to sign up as Y, and then transfer over, or some such.

2. Start Running (and this is my advice as well, which I need to start taking). Run everyday, get your stamina up, as you will run a lot, and the stamina will come into play with everything else you do.

3. Make sure you can do the minimum required sit ups and pushups comfortably, such that even on a bad day, you can do them (again, advice I need to take, lazy git that I am).

4. They will teach you the rest, so long as you have a decent basic fitness, they will train you up the rest of the way, if you are willing to put the effort in.

5. Don't be First, Never Be Last

6. Don't be a wise cracker

7. Listen to what they say and take them seriously, they mean it

8. The Drill, the shouting, the beasting, any insults or whatever, they're a Game. Learn to Play the Game, because you can't beat the Game. But the game can beat you, and stop you getting through basic to where you want to go.

Thats all I can think off the top of my head.