PDA

View Full Version : Spain and Italy

ninjalemur
2011-03-06, 01:31 AM
First off, I would like to apologize for any spelling errors. I'm on my iPod.

Anyway, I am on a school trip to Spain and Italy at the moment, and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what to see. I'm in Rome currently and we saw Ostia yesterday, we are doing ancient Rome today (Coleseum, Forum, etc.) and the vatican tommorow. I have some free time, so sugegestions would be appreciated.

I am also going to Florence, Madrid, and Barcelona, with quick stops in Pisa and Asisi.

Restaurant recommmendations would be great as well.

LaZodiac
2011-03-06, 01:36 AM
I don't have any suggestions other then "enjoy" but I do have something totally not cryptic to say.

If you meet a girl name Elena, let me know. It is of atleast some importance.

EDIT: Guess I should explain. An old friend of mine had a dream about an italian girl named that, and he basically said "I know dreams may not mean much, I want you to look out for it anyway" and besides I kinda owe it too him.

Eloel
2011-03-06, 01:52 AM
I'll just pop in and suggest visiting Camp Nou while at Barcelona if you're into sports. For food (in Spain), try paella, preferably seafood paella, it's good.

"Have fun", will be an important one as well.

Strawberries
2011-03-06, 01:58 AM
I'm from Naples, not Rome, so I don't know the city in and out, but two of my favourite places in Rome are the Synagogue and the old ghetto quarter, and the English cemetary near the Cestia pyramid.

If you like history, I think they organize tours in English of the old ghetto, and it's one of the less "touristy" plaaces I know in Rome. As for the cemetary,it was for years the only acatholic cemetary of Rome, and Keats and Shelley are buried there.

Can't help you with the restaurants, I always bring sandwiches from home when I go to Rome... (unfortunately, touristy means also very expensive!)

dehro
2011-03-06, 09:05 AM
I'm from Naples, not Rome, so I don't know the city in and out, but two of my favourite places in Rome are the Synagogue and the old ghetto quarter, and the English cemetary near the Cestia pyramid.

what she said.. also, the Synagogue in Florence is worth having a look at too, it's quite a unique building ... and you can actually see it's green dome from the main "viewpoint" of piazzale michelangelo..the big "panoramic view" square where the original statue of David, by Michelangelo stands (well..oughta stand, as it's a replica, the original one being stored indoors for safekeeping)
it really depends very much on what you're into and what you like..
I can't help you much with Rome, as for Florence, again..what are we talking about? nightlife? fun things to do? nature, arts, history, student life (there's a fairly large representative of american uni in florence, who I'm sure have plenty of websites and forums geared specifically towards visiting american students.. so they might actually be more helpful)
anyhoo.. slightly less classically touristy bits in Florence are the Stibbert museum (very big on period clothes, armor and weapons and such, from all over the globe).. the Boboli Gardens..
food ranges from good to very good in most places. check the menu before getting in (and the prices, because you never know what a less than honest waiter may try and charge you..).. if you're big on fashion shopping (or have sisters that want you to buy a present :smallbiggrin:), you might want to try and get to "the mall", if you have the time..it's a fair bit outside florence, but there are ways to get there..and every major fashion brand has a discount outlet there. most hotels can help you get there.

as for places to hang out in...I've moved away from Florence not long after hitting puberty, but my sisters haven't..and I can always ask them, if you're interested, very much depending on what you're into.

in Pisa you can't throw a stone without hitting a student, so I'm sure you'll find your way quite easily.
Assisi is probably going to be covered extensively by whatever tour you're going to take..especially if it's only a stop-over.. anyway, maybe there are other forumites who can be more helpful.

I know little about spain, only having visited a couple of times..in Barcelona I'd definitely hit Las Ramblas, a fairly long road, hit by most tourists, but for good reason. great tapas to be found all around there(if a bit expensive), and a lot of things to see.

Brother Oni
2011-03-06, 04:56 PM
I'm in Rome currently and we saw Ostia yesterday, we are doing ancient Rome today (Coleseum, Forum, etc.) and the vatican tommorow.

A quick warning that the Vatican has a dress code, or did when I went there.

Ladies need to have their shoulders covered and if worn, a reasonable length skirt.
Men need to be in trousers, no shorts. I don't know where you need to be wearing at least the equivalent of a T-shirt, or if can get in with just a vest.

That said, being sufficiently covered up shouldn't be a problem this time of year anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Crow
2011-03-06, 05:10 PM
Ah Spain...so so many beautiful girls.

Goosefeather
2011-03-06, 05:32 PM
I've not been to the others, but Barcelonawise, definitely check out La Rambla, Parc Güell, la Sagrada Familia, Montjuïc and la Palau Nacional, and the various Gaudí buildings (you'll probably stumble across those at random, to be honest). There're also the beaches, though like most Spanish beaches, while beautiful, they're very touristy. It's a while since I was there, so I can't be much more help, but make sure you go for tapas at some point :smalltongue:

dehro
2011-03-06, 05:32 PM
A quick warning that the Vatican has a dress code, or did when I went there.

Ladies need to have their shoulders covered and if worn, a reasonable length skirt.
Men need to be in trousers, no shorts. I don't know where you need to be wearing at least the equivalent of a T-shirt, or if can get in with just a vest.

That said, being sufficiently covered up shouldn't be a problem this time of year anyway. :smallbiggrin:

actually we've had great weather today..had lunch in the garden.

that said, I didn't think to mention it, because, at least in Italy, it's kinda understood that most churches do appreciate men wearing long trousers (most won't make it compulsory, but on the whole you might get the "another tourist" kind of stare if you walk in a church wearing shorts, flipflops and sunglassses..but then, you're gonna get that no matter how, since I assume you'll be moving with your class?)
and yeah..the vatican tends to be a bit more rigid on dressing appropriately.

rakkoon
2011-03-07, 06:06 AM
I second Goosefeather, you must see the Sagrada Familia even if only from the outside and Barcelona has so many beautiful things you shouldn't visit the beach :smallsmile:

Have fun and our jealousy honey

Yora
2011-03-07, 06:15 AM
Naples is so much more interesting than Rome. Rome is all for the tourists and when you're into the really old stuff, their ruins are really not that interesting. The ones in the Naples area are smaller but often in much better shape and it's not nearly as crowded so you actually get to see something.
Rome? Meh... :smallconfused:

aldeayeah
2011-03-07, 06:20 AM
Madrid (I live there):

If the weather's nice:
Have some tapas in Plaza de Santa Ana and go for a stroll in the Retiro park (check the "fallen angel" statue!).

If you like museums: can't go wrong with Museo del Prado (great Renaissance-Baroque collection). Another nice cultural excursion is a trip to El Escorial (it's a bit far from the city though). For the record, the Almudena cathedral kinda sucks.

Some people like to go see bullfighting; now's not the season, but there are minor events on Sundays in the Las Ventas plaza if you're into that thing.

Killer Angel
2011-03-07, 06:43 AM
OK, it's not on your tour list, but...
How do you travel from Italy to Spain? airplain or train?
If the latter, then you'll pass through Milano.
At the train station, pick the metro, 2 or 3 stops, and you'll arrive at the Duomo.
See the Duomo.
Pick the metro and back to station.
profit! :smallbiggrin:

I'm in Rome currently and we saw Ostia yesterday, we are doing ancient Rome today (Coleseum, Forum, etc.) and the vatican tommorow. I have some free time, so sugegestions would be appreciated.

Castel St. Angelo.

Om
2011-03-07, 05:26 PM
The Vatican is well worth the queues. Really magnificent. For food, Ristorante Alla Rampa (near the Spanish Steps) is equally excellent in a very different way