PDA

View Full Version : Say Dnd Was Real - Being a DnD PC in a 21st Century World

Pages : [1] 2

Cogidubnus
2011-03-06, 03:01 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189379) spawned a variety of stories about what people thought might happen to them. Mine's actually going to be quite long (read: will continue until I tire of it) so I thought a separate thread for it would be a good idea. Feel free to comment or post your own stories too though, it's good to share.

Ed: This thread has created the desire among several of us to write a communal story, so linked below my updates are their threads. The plots start separate, but will converge over time.

Ed: Also, apologies there are a few expletives in the first bit. Didn't originally intend to post this so I forgot to take them out before the filter got them. I promise I'll try to avoid them in future.

Update the First:

I was stood in the queue, staring idly at the slowly-diminishing pile of shopping the woman in front of me had. I was only here to buy a copy of PC Gamer and a snack. A guy walked in through the door beyond the checkout. I watched him fiddling nervously with a small pouch at his belt. My imagination started to run riot, as usual, imagining a fantastical scenario where he would attack with magic and I, understanding it, could save the day. "He’ll cast Burning Hands, and I’ll drop to the floor, sweeping the legs of the woman in front out too. Then up, use the checkout as a leg up, and a flying kick and punch to his face. While he’s dazed, punch-punch to the face, kick to the chest as he staggers back. He comes off his feet, crashing to the floor. Pin him, elbow strike across the temple to leave him out for the count. Break his fingers and take his spell components to disarm him”. It was a damn good thing I was watching him. He looked about nervously, then suddenly swept his hand up to point at the compacted queue of shoppers. I saw the spark leap from his fingers a moment before the flames started to spread, and dropped below the level of the checkout, slamming my foot into the knee of the woman in front, sending her toppling to the floor. The flames roared over my head, and I could feel their heat. I knew how I’d done it, like I knew how I threw a punch. Evasion. The screaming started behind me, and I knew that people were seriously hurt, but I had to neutralise the threat first. I was up and over the checkout in a moment. Stunning Fist. It was just there, in my head, the knowledge. My kick struck him on the jaw and my punch crushed his nose (4, 4) He toppled back, and I remembered I’d once promised my girlfriend I’d never kick someone in the face. She’d been afraid I’d break their jaw. I paused for a moment, and then suddenly felt the rest of my abilities kick in. I knew this boy’s motives, I knew his feelings. I felt the evil in him, and I hated it. He had come here and attacked innocents for experience. To level up, to get more power. All my compunctions vanished, and I threw another pair of punches to the stunned caster, hitting him in the stomach, followed by a crunching knee to the already-mashed face as he doubled over (4, 5, 8). He collapsed, bleeding, and I knew I could leave him to die. I felt a small rush, and knew I had 600 xp from defeating him. I did some quick calculations. Must’ve been third level. But I also knew how to stop it. Without pausing, I bent down, touched my hand to his chest, and pushed a tiny jolt of positive energy into him, stabilizing him. Cure Minor Wounds. Another 100 xp flooded me. Role-playing, no less. I turned back, and saw someone had been smart enough to douse the checkout girl and the shopper behind me with a fire extinguisher. Both had picked up pretty nasty burns though. I rushed over, touching each of them. Cure Light Wounds. The burns receded, and they looked almost as though nothing had happened, save for scorched hair, burnt clothes and smoke-blackened skin. No burns though, which was what mattered. I bent down over the caster, and pulled the pouch from his belt. Then, methodically, I stamped on each of his fingers. No one even seemed to notice. I hated doing it, but it was the only way to safely prevent him casting, and his hands would get better eventually. I checked his bag, but no sign of a spellbook. “Probably a sorcerer”, I thought. I stood up. I could hear the sirens now.
“I need to go,” I told the security guard. I grabbed a pen from my pocket and scribbled on a handout on the wall. “My number, if the police want it. I...need to go check on someone.” I had to know how many people this was, what linked them, whether they all understood what was going on. And I needed time to look at my character sheet.

Update the Second:
I started running down the street. I was fast now, and running seemed easy. I was flying along. I knew where I needed to go first, but I also needed to talk to a few people. I pulled out my phone and was about to start writing a text to Ken, Lara and Eddie, but Ken got there first.

> “There’s some serious **** going on here. Like, magic ****. Can you get over
> here? We need to talk.”

I told him to give me an hour. “Kk” was all I got back. I leapt onto a bus, flashed my pass, and got called back by the driver so he could have another look at it. I tried to conceal my frustration as he dallied, but we got going pretty quickly. The journey was only fifteen minutes, but damn if I wasn’t agitated enough by it. I should’ve run home and got the car. Might find myself having to do that anyway, especially if we’re going to Ken’s later. I whittled the time away by trying to get my character sheet to show itself. I could feel it, in my head, a list of my abilities and class features and feats. I almost had it. There! “Level 6 Monk? 9 years of martial arts training paid off, I see.
Power Attack, Flying Kick, Roundabout Kick, Unbalancing Strike, Close-Quarter Fighting, Snap Kick. Two flaws to buy that many feats, I see. Ah. Colour-blind. Well, a feat’s the best disability compensation I’ve heard of. And Inattentive? I’m not that inattentive, am I? Hold on, was that my stop? No, wait, next one. And gestalted with Paladin. Both using a homebrew fix. Excellent.”

I leapt off the bus and dashed the short distance to my girlfriend’s house. I found her in the garden – slightly odd in itself, even on a warmish spring day like this one – singing to the birds. All of whom were sat, staring intently at her. A cat sat below them, purring contently along to the singing. They all seemed oblivious to anything else. “Fascinate, maybe. So she’s a bard. Is this happening to everyone?”
I called out to her. “Helen, are you ok?”
She blinked, surprised, and stopped singing. As soon as she did, the cat sat up and the birds flew away.
“Oh, hey love. I just woke up this morning and felt different. I was in the kitchen, and I saw the birds, and I thought how I’d want them to let me come close to them. So I started to sing, and they all turned their heads and listened. It’s quite weird, actually. What’s going on?”
“I think...in all honesty, I think people are getting powers and class levels like in a role-playing game. DnD, I reckon. I’ve already met a sorcerer, and I appear to be a Monk//Paladin. But I can’t work out the reason, or the rules for this setting.”
“What are you saying? That doesn’t make any sense!”
“Not really, no. But when I was in the supermarket, some guy came in, tried to fry everyone with a cone of fire that looked suspiciously like the Burning Hands spell. I’m a Monk, so I can evade area of effect attacks. Then I kicked the crap out of him, felt myself get closer to levelling up for it, and then used magic to heal the people burned by the fire and stop the sorcerer haemorrhaging to death before I came here. And Ken seems to be having a similar experience. He texted me.” I showed her. Helen looked at me.
“You’re serious aren’t you? ****. I like normal life. Why can’t it stay normal? I don’t understand all this gaming stuff like you do, I don’t like it, I don’t care about it. ****.”
“I know, H, I know. But we’ve got to make the most of it. We’ve got to find out what we’re doing. Is it just a few people? In that case, we’re in danger. Both from scientists and from less-scrupulous people hunting experience to level up. If it’s everyone, well, the whole world’s about to change. And what’s causing it? Is there some kind of giant game being run, with us as the players? We’re going to need to stick together.”
“So what do we do?”
“We go see Ken, see what class or classes he’s got. Maths whizz like him, probably got wizard. Rules, patterns, studying the fundamentals. Then we find as many more people to help us as possible. Band together, stay safe. And try to keep others safe from the bad guys too. Come on, we’ll head to mine and get the car. Fastest way to Ken’s.”
“Alright, let’s go.”

Update the Third:
We didn’t talk much for a while. I think Helen was still pretty uncomfortable with what was happening to her, and with how excited I seemed by it. Truth be told, I was excited. And pleased. Here was genuine power to help people. But once we’d got back to mine, she began to ask questions. She’d noticed how we could travel faster without tiring than we’d ever have managed before. I wasn’t even using my bonus to speed when she saw me, except to open her door into and then be in the driver’s seat a second later. That she thought was quite cool. I explained the class system to her, and gestalt. We weren’t sure if she had a gestalt class too. I hadn’t had a chance to tell if that sorcerer did, but he sure hadn’t picked a class with a high hit-die if he had. She didn’t know. I tried to get her to see her character sheet, but while I was driving and unable to do much to help, and while she didn’t really understand what was going on, she didn’t have much hope. We resolved to wait a bit. It wasn't like there was a great rush. What was interesting was that I could feel all those skill points burning away in the back of my mind, from all six of my class levels. So, my previous skill set hadn’t been erased, but neither had it been deducted from my skill points. That was a distinct advantage. I assumed it would be the same for the others. I asked her if she could tell.
“There’s a feeling...like a potential to be good at anything I want to. But I also feel like I can do virtually anything already.”
“That probably means you’ve got your skill points waiting, and got Bardic Knack instead of Bardic Knowledge to boot. That means you can use all sorts of skills without putting points into them.”
“So what, I could just sit down at a canvas and start painting?”
“Yeah, I guess so. That’d be either Craft or Profession, and both can be used untrained.”
“Hmm.” She lapsed into silence, and seemed to be thinking about the implications of this. I smiled to myself. She would love being a skill-monkey.

We pulled up at Ken’s about 25 minutes after leaving mine, his estate being on the far side of town from the road I came in on. This made it a little over an hour since I’d taken out the sorcerer. I was half-surprised I hadn’t received a call from the police yet, but they were probably busy trying to sort out just what the hell had happened in that supermarket. Ken answered the door after a minute.
“Helen too? Fair enough,” he said, “Come upstairs. I’ve got something to show you.”
We followed him up to his room. The first thing I noticed upon entering was the sheer amount of paper on the bed. Then I realised – they were scrolls. There must have been over a dozen.
“You got wizard, then, Ken?”
“You’ve worked out what’s going on then? Yeah, I’m a wizard. And something else, but I don’t know what. Whatever it is, it made me really good at making these scrolls – I’ve got all sorts of spells I don’t know here.”
“Sounds like Artificer. On top of your prepared spells for today, can you feel any other abilities? Artificer’s have infusions, which are like spells you cast to make items better.”
“Like this?” K asked, picking up the keyboard for his computer and frowning hard. The keyboard seemed to glow for a moment, then appeared normal.
“There. Try hacking my system now.”
Helen sat down immediately, without even being asked, and started tapping at the keyboard. Within a minute, the user password gave out.
Helen looked stunned. “How did I do that? I can’t hack a computer.”
“Well, like I said, Bardic Knack means you can be reasonably competent at almost anything you try. And it looks like Ken gave that keyboard some kind of magical bonus to computing skill checks...?”
“Yeah, that’s what I was trying to do. That didn’t feel like a spell though.”
“No, it is an artificer infusion. Looks like you might be gestalt too. We need to get Eddie and Lara here, see if anything’s happened to them. And then I suppose we need to start finding ways to get experience, so we can protect ourselves.”
Ken sidled over to his bed and looked at me sideways. “Could always start by killing cats, I guess. Move up from there, start taking out people. Be a long time before you were caught under ordinary circumstances. With the world going this mad...we might never.”
“No. That’s evil. I am going to stop anyone who tries that. I’m going to spend the rest of my life protecting people from those who’d try that. I was hoping you’d help me.” I didn’t hesitate with my response.
“Flip, Tristan. It’s the fastest way. Please, don’t be a pain about this. You know I don’t agree with your moral code. It’s survival of the fittest.”
“Don’t, Ken. I’ll take you down too.”
Ken frowned for a moment, then started to mutter something, his fingers twisting the air. I felt it, a ripple in the fabric of the universe. I wrapped my mind around it and squeezed. As the two magic missiles leapt towards me, I tightened my mental grip, squashing them back into the energy stream they came from, and stepped across the room. I deflected Ken’s hand as he went to punch me, twisted his arm behind his back, kicked his knee bent and forced his face hard into the carpet.
“I am the strongest person you’re going to find around here. My training actually meant I got a lot of class levels before any of you. So don’t expect you can beat me, and don’t expect to find a better protector. We can level up without killing innocents. We can spar with each other, and we can help people. Imagine being able to use Colour Spray to take out a whole group of muggers in a back alley, then knocking them all out with a sap. That’s a whole bunch of CR one-half enemies you just took out by yourself, and you helped someone. THAT’S how we’ll level, not by hunting those who simply can’t fight back. Agreed? Or do I put you down now?”
A rather muffled “alright” was audible through the carpet. I let his arm free, and he pulled his face off the floor, gasping now he could breathe clearly, away from the dust and carpet fibres.
“Sorry Ken. I forgot about your asthma. I shouldn’t have pressed you into the carpet.”
“I...think I...deserved...it,” he coughed, grinning all the same. I sometimes wonder how guys seem able to solve even giant philosophical divides between friends with a short fight.
I pulled out my phone to get hold of Lara and Eddie, when Ken stopped me with a wave. “Already got hold of them.” He coughed hard for a moment, then continued. “Thought they’d want to share the sight themselves.”

We all turned as we heard feet bounding up the stairs. Ken moved to hide the scrolls under his duvet, but wasn’t anywhere near fast enough to get there before the door was pushed open. Lara grinned at us, her little face covered with a grin.
“Hey all. Sorry about not knocking, you don’t usually mind, do you Ken?”
“No, not usually. This time, you gave me a bit of a scare though.” He indicated the half-covered pile of scrolls.
“Oh, sorry. I didn’t think you’d be doing anything that embarrassing.” She laughed then. “Anyway, guys, I assume you know what’s going on. I need to pick my classes!”
“Wait,” I said. “You get to pick your classes? We, as far as I can tell, just got assigned ours according to our skill bases. Me and Ken are definitely above level one, I dunno about Helen. We haven’t been able to see her character sheet yet, but I reckon we’ll get there.”
Lara looked at us, slightly bewildered. “I just woke up and knew something was different. After a bit, I just realised I needed to pick two classes, one for each side of my first level of gestalt. I came to you guys to help me.” She grinned.
“Alright. We need to head back to mine, get hold of my sourcebooks as you haven’t picked a class. We’ll pick Eddie up on the way back, if you don’t mind all squashing in the back of my car.”

Update the Fourth:
We found Eddie outside in his front garden, practising through techniques with his katana. He looked up, seemingly unperturbed.
“I see I’m not the only one who’s been feeling a little different today. Give me a minute to grab some stuff, then I’ll come with you. We need to sort our character sheets.”
I still find Eddie’s ability to remain calm and un-perplexed by any situation both baffling and very impressive. He takes everything in his stride, never worrying about what’s happening, and always seems to understand it too. Damn him, I wish I could do that. Plus, the boy’s a tank. He once broke his ankle playing rugby, and carried on until half time assuming it was just bruised. I’ll be damn glad to have him with us.
He came back out after a few minutes, carrying a large navy sports bag, with the hilt of his katana just sticking out of the top.
“What’ve you got in there?” Helen asked, puzzled.
“All sorts. Never know what we might need. Just the usual kit for taking to Tristan’s house, mostly.”
“Ohh,” everyone said in unison. Eddie and I often practised combat training together, so he would bring a variety of weapons when he came over. The bag managed to squash in the boot of the car, and Lara, Ken and Eddie managed to squash in the back seats. I grinned slightly to see that shotgun rules still stood despite the unusual situation – driver’s other half always has shotgun.

By the time we arrived at mine, Lara had pretty much decided she wanted to be a sorcerer//bard, Eddie had settled on Warblade, but wasn’t sure about his second class, and we all theorised that Helen needed to pick what class to pair with the bard levels twelve years of music had given her, and a brief suggestion had been druid, to make use of her high wisdom and add some punch to her lack of melee capability. I turned my laptop back on, printed out some character sheets, and sat everyone down.
“Now, first, just write what seems like it ought to go there. That’ll tell us things like how many feats you already have and your ability scores. At least, I hope it’ll work.”
It did. What it told us was even more interesting. We all had very good stats, especially in our key areas. Too good, in fact. Better than we’d ever been before. Ken looked at me sideways, looking in particular at Eddie’s phenomenal ability scores.
“This can’t be right...have our stats actually been boosted by this?”
“It looks like it,” I replied. “Like we’ve been upgraded from NPCs to PCs, and got class levels into the bargain. Nevertheless, Lara, it confirms you should be a sorcerer. 18 charisma. Phew. It also tells us both Ken and Helen are already 3rd level, and that I am indeed 6th. Best sort out classes for Eddie and Helen then.”
I dug my sourcebooks out, letting the others flick through them while I skimmed the raft of bookmarked homebrew on the GitP forums. I hit on something.
“How about Magitech Templar, Eddie? It gives you a free suit of magical armour, that you slowly upgrade and that acquires increased sentience and senses as you level. Basically, it turns you into Iron Man. Plus, it can give you combat upgrades while using your high intelligence.”
Eddie grinned at me. “Which of my stats ISN’T high, Tristan? But that does sound pretty awesome. I do love tech. But where’s it going to come from?”
“Where did Ken’s spellbook come from? Where did class levels come from? It’ll sort itself out. Helen, have you seen anything?”
“Definitely Druid,” she replied, “purely so I can transform into any animal I feel like. I’m starting to get the hang of this, aren’t I?”
I grinned at her. “Yeah, you are. All of you seem to have some spare feats, though all of mine are tied up. Somehow Eddie appears to have got Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple for free, without flaws, but I suppose that’s probably the mixed martial arts training.” Eddie had done a couple of years of MMA, but nothing like as dedicated or long-term as my study. We sorted the feats out between us, Eddie focussing on hitting things, Helen improving her newly-acquired magic mostly, Lara her Bardic music, and Ken going with meta-magic feats. Ken also took Skill Focus: Spellcraft to go into Arch Mage later. Having written all this on paper, we suddenly wondered if it had actually made any difference. Lara decided to experiment, and promptly froze a pile of books on my floor solid with a Ray of Frost. There was no sign of Eddie’s armour yet, though.

Update the Fifth

We decided we might as well go outside and spar while we waited. It was going to be the best way for Lara and Eddie to get some quick experience, as defeating higher-level opponents, even in non-lethal combat, would help them a lot. Eddie and Ken decided to spar together using the bokken, since they knew how to use them. Plus, Ken having a couple of extra levels would help him match Eddie’s single combat-focussed one, as he had used up all of his prepared spells experimenting that morning. I put Lara and Helen together, because Helen didn't have any prepared spells, having only just taken her Druid levels, so Lara could use some magical defences to give her an edge over H’s higher hit points and attack bonus. They were also forced to resort to using unarmed strikes, as we didn’t have any practise rapiers they could use. Eddie suddenly paused, and asked me what I was going to do.
“I’m going to meditate and pray. I reckon, if you can improve your strength in this world by working out, you can improve your wisdom by introspective thought, or your charisma by practising public speaking. Worth a shot, anyway, as I don’t have anything to do until one of you has beaten the other into unconsciousness and you need my healing magic.”
Helen looked at me spuriously. “You expect us to wait to get beaten into unconsciousness?”
“Interestingly, that’ll take far less time than it would have done before. Now all you need is non-lethal damage equal to your current hit points. So any hit with an unarmed strike will contribute, not just hits to the head. In fact, Lara, please don’t hit my girlfriend in the face. I’m going to have enough trouble ignoring the fact that you’re hitting her at all.”
Lara laughed at me. “Don’t worry, I won’t break her pretty little nose.”
“You’re mocking me,” I sighed, “but don’t forget I’m the one with the plus six BAB and monk unarmed strikes.”
I knelt down on the grass and let my eyes unfocus, tuning out the sounds of wood clacking together, or Lara and Helen throwing punches with three-quarter BAB. I breathed in deeply through my nose, smelling the spring grass, relaxing totally, slowly shutting off from the outside world.

Eddie did later recount to me what had happened while I’d been tuned out. He and Ken had started sparring, slowly at first, but quickly warming up to it. He’d found his manoeuvres made a big difference to his style, allowing him to put Ken off balance before striking or disrupting his attacks. All the same, it wasn’t easy. Meanwhile, H was having less more luck hitting Lara than vice versa, thanks to Lara’s casting of Mage Armour and good dodging. Lara’s lack of skill in combat held her back a little, but the difference in armour did tell, and Lara eventually landed enough blows to collapse Helen. I was up in an instant and at her side, while Lara looked on concerned, worried that she’d gone too far. Physically, Helen seemed fine – no serious bruises or broken bones, just a sheer mathematical rule saying she ought to be knocked out at this point. For the first time, it occurred to me just how unreal these rules we were living by were. I quickly healed her. Cure Light Wounds. I felt the wave of energy leaving me was larger than it had been before, and watched Helen’s eyes open. She looked slightly flustered, but bounced to her feet.
“Let’s go again,” she grinned. “I actually enjoyed that, apart from being knocked out at the end. It wasn’t like I was even particularly badly hurt either, which is weird.”
“Yeah,” I agreed, “the non-lethal damage rules don’t make much sense in the real world. Still, it makes training a bit easier. Lara, you did get experience for that, didn’t you?”
“Yeah, 900. That’s nearly a level-up, isn’t it?”
“Should be. You guys go again, I’ll get back to meditat-”. At that point, Ken collapsed, Eddie have finally beaten aside his defences one too many times. I hit him with another Cure Light Wounds, and he got back up, making much the same observations as Helen, and more than ready for another go. Before I resumed meditating, I noticed Lara hopping from one foot to the other, grinning with excitement. Helen was a little calmer, watching carefully and planning how to attack. They were learning fast, which was a relief. Things were calm at the moment, but I couldn’t believe that sorcerer was the only one who’d go on a rampage sooner or later. I closed my eyes and prayed until they needed me again. This time, Ken had gone down first, Helen being much more cautious about letting Lara get within striking distance. I was out of 1st-level spells, so he had to make do with a simple Cure Minor Wounds to bring him back to consciousness. Eddie was grinning, ecstatic at the feeling of having levelled. We all jumped as, suddenly, a green gem appeared in his chest, out of which a suit of black-and-silver armour rapidly spread, engulfing Eddie’s body, wrapping around his head but leaving his face exposed, two silver wings ready to swing shut and protect him at a moment’s notice. He laughed.
“Well, we found out how I was going to get my armour.” He tapped the glowing green circle in the chest of the armour, then looked at his reflection in a window. “This looks pretty cool. I’m like a cooler version of Iron Man.” He frowned then. “I can upgrade this now that I’ve levelled, I just need to decide how.”
“Take Ken inside, get him to sit down. I’ll wait out here until one of these two needs resuscitating then bring them inside and help everyone recover from their non-lethal damage.” I’d already assigned some of my skill points, maxing my heal ranks immediately. I thought it would probably come in useful.
Helen went down again, as Lara had hit her with a Flare spell and then a Ray of Enfeeblement, quite cruelly ruining her ability to fight back. Lara was as jubilant as Eddie had been at levelling up, and was already talking about what spells to take this level. I brought Helen back round, and we all had to endure a short tirade on how Lara hadn’t been playing fairly. I was quite glad my parents were busy taking my brother to a music competition of some sort, as they’d have been asking all sorts of weird questions if they had been in. I sat everyone down, got them some stuff to eat and drink, and generally helped clean them up. After a few minutes, we flicked the telly on to see if there was anything on the news channel to help us see how widespread these events were. And I was surprised the police still hadn’t called.

Update the Sixth:
The news showed nothing of interest. There were a few reports of odd goings-on, but nothing to alarm any of us. Eddie added the Variable ability to his armour, making it Glamered so it could be disguised as normal clothing, and also allowing him to vary what material it was made of. For now, he picked adamantine, figuring the DR could come in handy. Lara added, among other things, Charm Person and Sleep to her spell list. It was beginning to look like Spell Focus: Enchantment might be a good move for her.
“Guys, what do you say I take you back to your houses, you get some overnight stuff, and spend tonight here? It’ll be easier to organise ourselves tomorrow, and, honestly...I’m a bit worried. I’ve got this enormous aura of Good that’s bound to attract attention eventually, and while I can handle myself, I don’t want my family getting hurt.”
“Of course we’ll stay,” Helen said, “but there’s nothing to worry about.”
“Yeah,” agreed Ken, “we haven’t seen any evidence that these abilities are widespread, or that people are using them to cause trouble.”
“But we’ll be here all the same,” Eddie declared, cut off by Lara pointing out how fun sleepovers are. I grinned at their support.

Helen got a bus across town to get her stuff while I drove Lara, Ken and Eddie back to their houses. I was a bit worried about letting Helen go off by herself, but I forced myself to stay calm. She could easily handle herself. And she could spontaneously cast Summon Nature’s Ally, so it’d be alright. I got Lara to text her and tell her she could do that, if she needed help. Ken’s parents were back home from their shopping trip by now, but were more than happy for him to spend the night at mine. They were used to him doing what he wanted by now. Lara’s flatmates weren’t in, so she left a note on the fridge and brought her stuff out to the car. Eddie’s parents detained us the longest, but only by being hospitable. They insisted we have something to eat while he got his stuff together, and that of course took far longer than throwing a handful of clothes into a bag, not least because we hadn’t really had a proper lunch, just snacks. Eventually we managed to tear ourselves away and get back to my house, where we found Helen already waiting for us. By this point it was around half 2.
“Listen,” I suggested. “We spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing, and that way, our spells will all refresh before we go to bed. Then we have them if we need them tonight, although we probably won’t. Plus, my parents and brother will be home before too long, and if they find Ken brewing potions in the kitchen sink while the rest of us sparring outside, they’ll give us some odd looks.”
The rest of the afternoon passed without incident. The police didn’t call, nothing happened on the news, and we spent most of the time eating and talking. When my parents came home, they seemed perfectly normal.
“Hey Chris,” I said, catching my brother before he went upstairs, “have you noticed anything weird today? Anything different?”
“No, why?”
“Nothing, just got an odd feeling is all.” My family are kinda used to my madness, so things like that don’t even draw attention anymore.
My parents had also long ago been beaten into letting all my friends sleep in the lounge together, regardless of gender, simply because it was what we did at everyone else’s house, so setting up some defences for the night wasn’t too hard. The front door is like the door to Fort Knox, being several inches thick, made of hardwood, and having two steel bolts and a giant lock. I don’t know why it’s so impenetrable, it was like that when we bought the house. The back door, therefore, was where any intruders were likely to try and sneak in. If they were willing to break windows to get in, we’d hear them, sleeping next to all the ground-floor windows. So we put the dog in her cage and had her sleep in a different room, so she wouldn’t be in danger from a disrupted intruder, and then set up a tripwire attached to some mops part-way through the porch. We reckoned the noise of knocking them over would wake us, but if we stayed quiet, the intruder would think he was ok and not run. We could then ambush him and then Lara and Ken could, hopefully, simply take him out with either Sleep or Grease. If not, there was no way he’d be faster than me, and I could knock him out to stop him escaping. Our plans in place, we happily settled down to sleep, chatting quietly before drifting off, curled up on sofas and airbeds.

And suddenly I was jolting awake. I heard, consciously, the last little clatter of the mops. Helen ‘s eyes opened sleepily. She started to mumble something, but I rolled across the floor and clapped my hand over her mouth, miming for silence. After a moment, her eyes showed recognition, and she nodded. We all rose carefully from our beds, glancing around in the half-light that crept in around the curtains from the streetlights beyond. Slowly, I opened the door to the hall, well-practised as I was in opening the old, creaky doors in my house silently. Eddie was without his armour, as he couldn’t easily sleep in it, so I led, my Monk abilities giving me the best defences. We listened patiently at the door to the kitchen to see if the intruder had moved beyond the porch. After a minute, we heard to soft sound of a heel dragging on the stone floor. I nodded, and Eddie pushed the door open. Helen conjured a light as Lara sent a Sleep spell hurtling into the room. A man stood, transfixed in the beam emanating from Helen hand, eyes wide with surprise. I felt a revulsion as I looked at him, which brought angry tears to my eyes. It was like looking into all the reasons for hurt in the world. Then his eyes closed and he crumpled to the floor. I felt my experience total go up by 90. Upstairs, I heard my parents door open.
“Quick,” I hissed, “get the electric lights and snuff that one out.” I quickly struck the intruder on the head, just enough to bruise, so it would appear he had simply been knocked out. I heard my dad’s voice, softly, trying not to wake the house.
“Is everything ok down there?”
“Come down quickly Dad,” I called back, not trying to be quiet. “Someone’s tried to break in.”
He rushed down the stairs, and saw us all crowded round the unconscious man in our pyjamas. “I’ll call the police,” he said.
“Yeah,” I agreed. “We’ll tie him to a chair in the dining room.”
As we dragged him through, I heard Dad dialling on the phone. We tied him to a chair using a tablecloth, and I slapped him to wake him.
“Wuh-” he groaned, “what happened?”
“You broke into my house,” I hissed, “so we knocked you out. Quickly, now, before the police get here. Tell us why you really broke in here and we’ll let you testify to them yourself. Nor will we press charges.”
“Big house, thought I could get something valuable he-”
“Not good enough, try again. The front door alone is forbidding enough to burglars, and if you were here just for cash you’d have run once you knocked the mops down. Now tell us. Why are you here? Do you know I’m a Paladin?”
The man looked at us, shocked. “You mean, an actual Paladin? Detect Evil, all that?”
“Yes. I can smell it coming off you now. It’s revolting. And as you understand what I mean, I assume you’re in the same predicament?”
“Yes, alright, yes. I’ve got a couple of levels in Rogue. I didn’t even know what was going on at first. I just kept getting waves of nostalgia to the days when I used to play DnD in school, long ago. Then I realised why I kept remembering that. It was happening to me. And tonight, I was looking for a score, but there was just something about this place. Made me think coming in here with this,” he tried to tap a knife at his side, but Eddie smacked his hand and stopped – “might be needed. I don’t know why. Look, I’m sorry. Please don’t hurt me.” The square-shouldered coward looked genuinely terrified of the teenager standing over him. I realised just how imposing a Paladin must be to Evil, in any form.
“I could kill you right now. No one would even know what happened. Unarmed strike, non-lethal damage, but the Smite Evil would be lethal. Your heart would just give out, spontaneously. Problem solved. But I’m better than that. Instead, I’m going to tell you this. Confess everything, every crime you’ve ever committed, to the police. Stay safe in prison. And then I won’t see you again, and I won’t feel the need to wipe you off the face of the earth if you’re still as twisted as you are now.” I stepped back, and realised the others were all staring at me. Eddie looked positively approving, and I realised he understood everything I’d said. Helen and Lara both looked slightly shocked, while Ken looked downright uncomfortable.
“Alright, I agree,” the man said. “I’ll confess.”
“Good. Eddie, Ken, can you keep an eye of him. I need to get away from him for a bit. It’s making me very angry.” Then I realised why Lara and Helen were so shocked. Silent tears were streaming down my face. I walked through to the next room, taking a moment to collect myself. I knew the police would be there soon, to take the burning, stinking temptation away from me.

Update the Seventh:
Helen followed me through and just sat, one hand on my shoulder, letting me calm down. The tears stopped pretty soon after I got the thief out from under my nose, but the anger and adrenalin took a little longer to die away. After a bit, she hugged me.
“You ok now?”
“Yeah. It just makes me...angry’s not the right word. It’s...a need to do something, to fight, just to take some action. To actually halt it. And the most obvious path is violence. But that’s not the right one. It’d just breed more wrong. But I want to. I really want to just wipe that stain out.”
“Breathe, Tristan. Come on. He’ll be gone in a few minutes.”
She was right. At that moment, my dad answered the door to the police. The bolts crashed back, the lock clunked open, and the door groaned to allow the two officers in. They came in, and first secured the man before coming to talk to us. Luckily, they asked us all together what happened. I told them, before anyone could get a word in edgeways, that we’d been sleeping downstairs and the sound of the mops being knocked over woke us. We crept to see what was going on, and found a strange man, with a knife in his belt, in our kitchen. I said that as both me and Eddie had studied martial arts we were easily able to knock him out, and that we then tied him to a chair while Dad called the police. He woke up shortly later, and I spoke to him for a bit, before getting angry and walking away from him to calm down. It all washed like clear running water. I felt a bit bad about fudging the details, but I couldn’t exactly tell them we’d used a Sleep spell on him. Before the officers left, I stopped one of them for a word.
“I was involved in an incident yesterday morning, involving a man with some kind of flamethrower in the Co-Op in town? I left my number for the police, but they haven’t got in touch yet. You wouldn’t happen to know why?”
“I heard about that one. I wouldn’t worry about it, we’ve had a lot of stuff coming in today. It’s a bit busy just now, but you’ll be contacted eventually.”
“Ok, thanks,” was all I said in response. It was weird that he’d suggested today had been unusually busy for them. The news seemed, if anything, quieter than usual.

After the police were gone and my parents had gone to bed, we sat down to talk for a bit before we slept.
“I had another word with him after you’d left,” said Ken. “I found out he wasn’t gestalt, but that he had been gifted with two levels of Rogue straight off, without needing to level up or getting the chance to pick his classes. Whatever’s causing this, it seems to be happening without rhyme or reason. It’s not just affecting teenagers, it’s not just creating gestalt characters, and not everyone gets to choose their levels.”
“But at least it doesn’t seem very common,” Lara pointed out.
“This is all true,” I said, “but what’s worrying is that he came here. Maybe I drew him, maybe we all did – maybe we’re just going to attract trouble. Regardless, I think we should all get some sleep and plan more tomorrow.”

We realised the next weird thing when we woke on Sunday morning, in time to see the sun rise over the houses in my street. We’d gone to bed early, tired from a strange day with a steep learning curve, but despite the interruption in the early hours, by half six we had all had a good night’s sleep. Which was a welcome relief from still being tired rolling out of bed at ten o’clock.
“What the deuce am I doing awake so early?” Helen grumbled, for all that she wasn’t tired.
“Well,” Eddie pondered, “we’d normally only need six hours of sleep in DnD, wouldn’t we? Eight hours of rest, but only six need to be of sleep. And we had a good eight hours rest in the afternoon anyway.”
“So we can live eighteen hour days as long as only 16 of them are spent relaxing, now?” Helen queried.
“I don’t see why not,” Eddie replied.
“I reckon you’re right. Ken, can you explain something?”
“I don’t know, you haven’t asked me yet,” Ken said, grinning.
“How did you make those scrolls? I mean, crafting costs xp. Now, as an Artificer, you get a pool of Craft Points to spend instead of xp, but it also requires material components. What did you do about that?”
“I don’t know about crafting costing xp,” Ken replied. “I’ve got a pool of points, but they cover material costs, not experience costs. I don’t think my crafting does. I got the material components by breaking down other things. I just knew that if I took something, I could reduce it to magical components and use those to make items. I had an old turbocharger in my room, one that wasn’t working no matter what I did, and that fuelled most of those scrolls by itself.”
“And how did you make so many scrolls in one morning? They should have taken...” I did some maths in my head, “at least half an hour each, if they were first-level spells.”
“They took like, a quarter of an hour each?”
“Ok, so crafting is also following some sort of house rules. Not totally daft ones, I’ve heard of plenty of DMs removing crafting xp to save headaches, although your ability to reduce mundane items into magical components might make time the only constraint on the number of magic items we can possess...”
“So we can eventually exceed wealth-by-level?” Ken asked.
“Well, yes, except, of course, what you can craft is restricted by your level. For example, until you hit level 5 you won’t be able to make a Restful Crystal for Eddie’s armour, so he won’t be able to sleep in it. Still, there are plenty of useful things you can already make. Might I suggest you start on an attribute-enhancing item, maybe a +2 Belt of Strength for Eddie? That’ll take you maybe sixteen hours of work, but we’ll all want attribute-enhancing items and I think it’d make the biggest difference to Eddie.”
“Sure, but I’ll need the materials to craft it.”
“Hmm. Hold on a sec.” I ran upstairs, and returned carrying a large plastic box.
“I was going to just flog all this on eBay, but we might get more value out of it here. It’s a pile of Warhammer figures I don’t want anymore. Can you get any value out of them?”
Ken examined them for a minute, running his hand through the box’s contents, then suddenly focussed. The figures turned into a sort of golden jelly, though not wet or very fluid.
“This’ll do perfectly for a start. What’re you going to do while I craft?”
“Well, I know Helen brought some schoolwork she needs to get on with this weekend, and I thought Eddie, Lara and I might go out, see what the actual lay of the land is. Find out if anything odd’s going on. Might as well see if we can find you a supply of parts for crafting as well.”
This plan met with general approval, so we split up, despite my trepidation.

Update the Eighth:
We weren’t really sure what to do, so we took the car into the centre of town, then get out and wandered around. After a bit, Eddie suggested we head down to the tip, as there might be something there Ken could dissemble. It was a sunny day, so rather than go back to the car, we walked out to the edge of town where the tip was. There was a lot of just plain rubbish there, but we had no idea what Ken could make use of. I walked over to the guy keeping an eye on the site.
“If there’s stuff here we want, is there any reason we couldn’t take it?”
“Don’t see why not. It’s all just rubbish, anyway. Can’t imagine you’d find much worth having though. Why? Have you seen something?”
“No, we were just wondering. It might be a good place to find scrap bits for tech projects and stuff.” Who cared if Bluff wasn’t a class skill for me? Everyone has a few ranks in Bluff from lying to their parents and teachers, and I had a good Charisma.
“Well, if you find stuff you want, go ahead and help yourselves.”
“Thanks.”
I walked back over to the others, who’d salvaged some barely-broken electronics but not much else.
“Reckon these might come in handy,” Lara told me, “but I don’t know what else Ken can make use of. He might be able to use it all, or none of it.
As we were walking it, the guy at the gate stopped us.
“You might want to try the scrap yard over the way. They’ve got heaps of old machines they’re never going to get any use out of, they mightn’t mind you carting off some bits and pieces.”
“Cool. We might well give that a shot,” I smiled in response.

The scrap yard certainly looked promising. There were mounds of old machinery, in various stages of rusting, and the amount of pieces being stripped, crushed or recycled didn’t seem to make any impact upon the piles that remained. Things were a bit more organised here than at the tip, so we went to talk to the foreman or whoever he was. The guy in charge anyway, though he was still dressed in dirty overalls and boots.
“Can I help you?” he asked, glancing at us for a moment then going back to the pile of forms. I started to open my mouth to reply, but Lara cut me off.
“We were just wondering if you’d mind us salvaging a few parts from the machines here, for projects, not for any kind of business or anything.”
“Can’t help you, sorry.” This time he didn’t even bother to look up.
“But,” Lara said, then mumbled something I didn’t catch or didn’t understand, and touched the foreman’s arm, “it’s not like it’s any use to you here.”
The foreman looked up into Lara’s face. “No, I guess it isn’t. Help yourselves, I’ll tell everyone to leave you be.”
Lara thanked him, smiling sweetly, and turned to go.
“Oh,” he said, making us pause, “take some hard hats and hi-vis jackets from the pegs there. You need them while you’re on-site.”

Once we were outside, I looked at Lara questioningly.
“Did you just do what I think you did?”
“Charm Person is the most awesome spell ever. And, I got xp for it. I love overcoming challenges.”
I laughed. “Once upon a time, challenges were a pain. Now we hope for them because we get xp.”
We had a good hunt around, pulling out the lightest, most expensive-looking pieces of kit we could find. Eddie was more use than me or Lara, but his experience was still mostly with computers, so he could only be so much help. We reckoned we should make the best of the time the foreman was charmed, although we could always do it again at a later date. With a couple of things each, we headed back to town, stopping to grab some sheets from the tip on the way to stop my car getting dirty when we put the machinery in the boot.

Update the Ninth (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10600347&postcount=53)

Update the Tenth. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10630800&postcount=107)

Update the Eleventh. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10657738&postcount=166)

Update the Twelfth (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10835827&postcount=217)

The community's plotlines, running alongside this one:

Swift Mongoose's Plot-line. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192262)

Zolkabro's Plot-line. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192267)

TyChris1's Evil Plot-line. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192409)

The Glyphstone's Plot-line. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192581)

Herpestidae's Plot-line (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192799) - no making fun of him for his name. Or his character's :smalltongue:

Maxios
2011-03-06, 03:15 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189379) spawned a variety of stories about what people thought might happen to them. Mine's actually going to be quite long (read: will continue until I tire of it) so I thought a separate thread for it would be a good idea. Feel free to comment or post your own stories too though, it's good to share.

Names have been changed and then reduced to an initial to protect the identities of the participants.

Update the First:

I was stood in the queue, staring idly at the slowly-diminishing pile of shopping the woman in front of me had. I was only here to buy a copy of PC Gamer and a snack. A guy walked in through the door beyond the checkout. I watched him fiddling nervously with a small pouch at his belt. My imagination started to run riot, as usual, imagining a fantastical scenario where he would attack with magic and I, understanding it, could save the day. “He’ll cast Burning Hands, and I’ll drop to the floor, sweeping the legs of the woman in front out too. Then up, use the checkout as a leg up, and a flying kick and punch to his face. While he’s dazed, punch-punch to the face, kick to the chest as he staggers back. He comes off his feet, crashing to the floor. Pin him, elbow strike across the temple to leave him out for the count. Break his fingers and take his spell components to disarm him”. It was a damn good thing I was watching him. He looked about nervously, then suddenly swept his hand up to point at the compacted queue of shoppers. I saw the spark leap from his fingers a moment before the flames started to spread, and dropped below the level of the checkout, slamming my foot into the knee of the woman in front, sending her toppling to the floor. The flames roared over my head, and I could feel their heat. I knew how I’d done it, like I knew how I threw a punch. Evasion. The screaming started behind me, and I knew that people were seriously hurt, but I had to neutralise the threat first. I was up and over the checkout in a moment. Stunning Fist. It was just there, in my head, the knowledge. My kick struck him on the jaw and my punch crushed his nose (4, 4) He toppled back, and I remembered I’d once promised my girlfriend I’d never kick someone in the face. She’d been afraid I’d break their jaw. I paused for a moment, and then suddenly felt the rest of my abilities kick in. I knew this boy’s motives, I knew his feelings. I felt the evil in him, and I hated it. He had come here and attacked innocents for experience. To level up, to get more power. All my compunctions vanished, and I threw another pair of punches to the stunned caster, hitting him in the stomach, followed by a crunching knee to the already-mashed face as he doubled over (4, 5, 8). He collapsed, bleeding, and I knew I could leave him to die. I felt a small rush, and knew I had 600 xp from defeating him. I did some quick calculations. Must’ve been third level. But I also knew how to stop it. Without pausing, I bent down, touched my hand to his chest, and pushed a tiny jolt of positive energy into him, stabilizing him. Cure Minor Wounds. Another 100 xp flooded me. Role-playing, no less. I turned back, and saw someone had been smart enough to douse the checkout girl and the shopper behind me with a fire extinguisher. Both had picked up pretty nasty burns though. I rushed over, touching each of them. Cure Light Wounds. The burns receded, and they looked almost as though nothing had happened, save for scorched hair, burnt clothes and smoke-blackened skin. No burns though, which was what mattered. I bent down over the caster, and pulled the pouch from his belt. Then, methodically, I stamped on each of his fingers. No one even seemed to notice. I hated doing it, but it was the only way to safely prevent him casting, and his hands would get better eventually. I checked his bag, but no sign of a spellbook. “Probably a sorcerer”, I thought. I stood up. I could hear the sirens now.
“I need to go,” I told the security guard. I grabbed a pen from my pocket and scribbled on a handout on the wall. “My number, if the police want it. I...need to go check on someone.” I had to know how many people this was, what linked them, whether they all understood what was going on. And I needed time to look at my character sheet.

I can't wait until the next update :smallcool:

Cogidubnus
2011-03-06, 03:21 PM
I can't wait until the next update :smallcool:

Specially for that bit of flattery, I fixed a few problems I had with some more that I'd written and posted it. Hold on while I add italics that didn't copy-paste over :smallsigh:

Barbin
2011-03-06, 06:01 PM
Ooo! I'm enjoying the story up to date. I hope the future updates are just as good!

The Glyphstone
2011-03-06, 07:12 PM
I suppose Gestalt is a fair compensation for getting rolled as a Monk//Paladin.:smallbiggrin:

Keep up the story.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-07, 12:12 PM
I suppose Gestalt is a fair compensation for getting rolled as a Monk//Paladin.:smallbiggrin:

Keep up the story.

This is the first time I've seen a mod post something and not been afraid...

Anyway, third update. I'm appreciating the little bits of support, everyone. Thanks :smallsmile:

Ed: And you will get to see these guys' sheets at some point, once they write them up themselves in the story.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-07, 10:28 PM
So, K is Neutral on the moral axis - probably True Neutral with a mildly Chaotic leaning, judging by how quickly he was cowed into following the LG plan.

H is Neutral or Neutral Good - she doesn't seem outright Chaotic.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-09, 03:14 PM
So, K is Neutral on the moral axis - probably True Neutral with a mildly Chaotic leaning, judging by how quickly he was cowed into following the LG plan.

H is Neutral or Neutral Good - she doesn't seem outright Chaotic.

Glyphstone, out of all the Playground, I think you scare me the most, with your psychic powers.

Short update's up, wanted to post at least something but it's been a busy two days.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-09, 07:45 PM
This story is pretty good, I like it.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-09, 07:53 PM
Glyphstone, out of all the Playground, I think you scare me the most, with your psychic powers.

Short update's up, wanted to post at least something but it's been a busy two days.

I exist outside of time, naturally.:smallbiggrin:

Cogidubnus
2011-03-10, 01:53 PM
5 updates in, I hope it's still worth reading.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-10, 03:34 PM
Me likey new update! And even lethal damage is highly unrealistic, as you don't take wound penalties.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-10, 09:17 PM
Still no confirmation on their respective alignments - was I right then?

Cogidubnus
2011-03-11, 02:03 AM
Still no confirmation on their respective alignments - was I right then?

You were, dead on, hence my comment about your creepy psychich powers.

Of course, hp loss really represents how often you can get away with being hit and yet not be hurt - it's almost a measure of how lucky you are - but that's a confusing concept.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-11, 03:50 PM
Let's see if I can keep the streak going:

L is obviously Good, and feels very impulsive in how she picked classes quickly, and spontaneously decided to test them out on your pile of books. Also, how she 'cheated' in the sparring match. Definitely Chaotic Good.

E is harder. I want to say Lawful Neutral just so you've got a decent spread of alignments, but he hasn't really exhibited any evidence of that yet. Withholding judgement on him until further updates are posted.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-11, 04:05 PM
So far, you haven't put a foot wrong.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-11, 04:55 PM
It would be easier to remember who's who if you used full names instead of just letters.

Let's see... K would be Ken, H would be Helen, T would be Tristan, L would be Lenny, and E would be Eddie.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-11, 04:56 PM
It would be easier to remember who's who if you used full names instead of just letters.

Let's see... K would be Ken, H would be Helen, T would be Tristan, L would be Lenny, and E would be Eddie.

Alright, I'll take those for future then. I hate coming up with names myself, it always feels artificial somehow.

fizzybobnewt
2011-03-11, 06:20 PM
What's wrong with actual first names?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-11, 08:02 PM
Alright, I'll take those for future then. I hate coming up with names myself, it always feels artificial somehow.

More artificial than a single letter?

Cogidubnus
2011-03-12, 04:49 AM
More artificial than a single letter?

Point. Nevertheless, I'm not good with coming up with names myself. I'll happily use yours though.

Ed: Edited all the names in. Will get another update up soon.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-12, 09:31 AM
And that's the next update. Having to go back and rewrite the deleted bit actually helped me think it through a bit more, in the end.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-12, 09:37 PM
I personally think monk is the best class in modern times. You're not gonna walk everywhere carrying a weapon and wearing armor, it's illegal. Of course, if it allowed for homebrew classes, brawler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149668) is probably the best.

Lemonus
2011-03-12, 10:01 PM
This is awesome. :amused:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-12, 10:06 PM
This is awesome. :amused:

Yes, yes it is.

If I were a D&D character, based off RL experience, I would have the improved unarmed strike feat (I practiced a bit of martial arts, though not even a year's worth), and would probably be a druid or wizard, though ranger's also a possibility.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-13, 02:33 AM
I personally think monk is the best class in modern times. You're not gonna walk everywhere carrying a weapon and wearing armor, it's illegal. Of course, if it allowed for homebrew classes, brawler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149668) is probably the best.

Caster classes have a fairly good time of it too. Druid'd particularly, as spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally means you can always set a pack of wolves on anything challenging you.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-13, 11:17 AM
I just had a thought - when's Ken going to get his familiar?

Also, curious - if this is based off you and your real-life friends, are they getting input into the story?

Cogidubnus
2011-03-13, 11:45 AM
I just had a thought - when's Ken going to get his familiar?

Also, curious - if this is based off you and your real-life friends, are they getting input into the story?

They are characters, although based off my friends. There was some discussion about classes for those who didn't naturally drop into one, and we thought we'd actually run a campaign based on this premise at some point.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-14, 09:11 PM
Ken should totally get a wisecracking pet bird - not necessarily a raven, but a similar-sized bird refluffed to use the same rules. It'd lighten him up a bit. Or a raven, if only for the Nevermore jokes.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-15, 02:54 AM
Ken should totally get a wisecracking pet bird - not necessarily a raven, but a similar-sized bird refluffed to use the same rules. It'd lighten him up a bit. Or a raven, if only for the Nevermore jokes.

First he has to scrape together the cash to pay for the ritual. People seem to forget familiars aren't a free feature. But once he has the materials and a free 24 hours he'll get one, as will Lara, though she'll probably have something cuter than a bird.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-15, 01:38 PM
Yeah, you're right. 100GP isn't chump change at 1st level.

That brings up another interesting future plot point (or at least another oneshot joke re. the weirdness)...WBL. According to brief research, 1 pound of gold retails for somewhere around $10,000. That's 25GP, since 50 coins = 1 pound. You, as a 6th level PC, technically have an assessed market value of 2.6 million dollars.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-15, 01:46 PM
Yeah, you're right. 100GP isn't chump change at 1st level.

That brings up another interesting future plot point (or at least another oneshot joke re. the weirdness)...WBL. According to brief research, 1 pound of gold retails for somewhere around $10,000. That's 25GP, since 50 coins = 1 pound. You, as a 6th level PC, technically have an assessed market value of 2.6 million dollars.

Let's assume I have a plan for this (because I do) which the next update will start to reveal. After all, WBL is only significant for magic items, which no one in the real world sells. Other than that, you need relevant cash. After all, what can you actually buy with 2.6 million dollars in solid gold?

Cogidubnus
2011-03-15, 02:05 PM
And speaking of that update, here it is.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-15, 02:15 PM
What's gestalt? I've heard the term on the forums before.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-15, 02:24 PM
What's gestalt? I've heard the term on the forums before.

It's a way of combining two classes at each level. Here it is. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm) Very popular, especially among powergamers.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-15, 02:40 PM
It's a way of combining two classes at each level. Here it is. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm) Very popular, especially among powergamers.

I once saw something similar in the 3.0 dungeon master's guide, but it split the classes evenly, rather than being high-powered.

I also figured out an excellent gestalt class. Fighter/warblade. It gets a fighter's bonus feats, combined with a warblade's maneuvers. This is especially useful if you want to get a chain feat like lightning mace (obviously combined with keen aptitude kukris) or elusive target.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-15, 04:01 PM
Fighter's a good gestalt half for any melee class, specifically because it's nothing but "here, have a ton of feats". The trick to any good gestalt is to have one "passive' side, and one 'active' side, since you still only get the actions of a single-classed character.

Fighter is a good passive to match with the Warblade's active - you'll be spending your action on Strikes and other maneuvers, so the feats are a free bonus. Monk, Rogue, and Paladin all tend to be good passive classes as well, giving save or AC boosts or bonus damage without costing actions. Something like Wizard//Sorcerer, on the other hand, is a drain on your action economy, and a less-than-good choice.

Since familiars were discussed, where's the protagonist's paladin mount? And when will PrC's be discussed?

Cogidubnus
2011-03-15, 04:07 PM
Fighter's a good gestalt half for any melee class, specifically because it's nothing but "here, have a ton of feats". The trick to any good gestalt is to have one "passive' side, and one 'active' side, since you still only get the actions of a single-classed character.

Fighter is a good passive to match with the Warblade's active - you'll be spending your action on Strikes and other maneuvers, so the feats are a free bonus. Monk, Rogue, and Paladin all tend to be good passive classes as well, giving save or AC boosts or bonus damage without costing actions. Something like Wizard//Sorcerer, on the other hand, is a drain on your action economy, and a less-than-good choice.

Since familiars were discussed, where's the protagonist's paladin mount? And when will PrC's be discussed?

Paladin fix I'm using, Gorgondantess', doesn't specifically give a mount. PrCs will kinda turn up when the characters want them - which at level 2-3 for most of them, isn't yet. Bets on who might use a prestige class, other than Ken, who's set his sights on Archmage already?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-15, 04:25 PM

Actually, fighter/swordsage is even better, as you trade away two hit points at first level, and one hit point at every level after, for all good saves and more maneuvers and stances.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-15, 04:33 PM
Well, if Helen's willing to multiclass a bit, two levels of Rogue (probably on the Bard side) will qualify her for Fohlucan Lyrist eventually. Laura's already pre-set for Lyric Thamaturge. Eddie will probably stay pureclassed, since Magitech Templar and Warblade are both classes that want to keep gaining levels. Ken, as mentioned, intends Archmage...is he specialized? Master Specialist would be a nice stopgap.

John Cribati
2011-03-16, 08:25 AM

Actually, you wouldn't. Iv everyone's leveling up and pulling large quantities of gold out the wazoo, you get inflation, and soon enough gold will be worthless.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-16, 08:34 AM
Actually, you wouldn't. Iv everyone's leveling up and pulling large quantities of gold out the wazoo, you get inflation, and soon enough gold will be worthless.

Except WBL doesn't cause gold to just appear, it's simply how much you ought to have. Hence crafting is the only way to increase WBL in this scenario.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-17, 02:51 PM
Another update. Sorry it's been a few days, had a lot of work to get done.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-17, 03:10 PM
Charm person is truly the awesomest spell ever. Except for charm monster.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-17, 03:38 PM
Shouldn't our paladin-in-charge be at least, like, mildly scolding Lara for doing something chaotic like that (charming the foreman into letting them steal scrap)?

John Cribati
2011-03-17, 03:51 PM
Not really stealing. This stuff was thrown away. It was going to get melted down and stuff. It's not like that one movie where they stole money that was going to be shredded.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-17, 04:10 PM
Shouldn't our paladin-in-charge be at least, like, mildly scolding Lara for doing something chaotic like that (charming the foreman into letting them steal scrap)?

This he sees as ok - he's been told it'll never all get used anyway, and why should it operate so differently to the tip? Of course, if she gets a bit carried away and tries using it to requisition things, he'll stop her.

Also, I know I, despite being tremendously LG, wouldn't object to what's been done here, simply because it makes sense, and I want to explore how real people might respond to what's happening to them - whereas we would most straitjacket a Paladin into being totally anti-chaos, no real person could ignore the expediency.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-17, 04:10 PM
Yeah, but most scrap yards at least charge money for you to loot their junk heaps. That's why they're scrap dealers, and not scrap give-away-ers.

EDIT: Understandable - everyone's got their interpretations of alignment. I'd think a paladin would at least say something pre-emptive, since her comment was 'Charm Person is the best spell ever', to try and dissuade her (nicely, as they are friends) from getting any ideas to abuse its power. Like Ken, but with more good-natured advice and less grinding asthmatic faces into carpet.:smallbiggrin:

Cogidubnus
2011-03-17, 04:12 PM
Yeah, but most scrap yards at least charge money for you to loot their junk heaps. That's why they're scrap dealers, and not scrap give-away-ers.

I've never even found a scrap dealer in my area. Just recycling/landfill dump sites. They're also take broken junk, not just things like ancient cars.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-17, 04:13 PM
Huh. Around here, scrap yards charge by the pound typically. I live in the city, though, and they take/sell pretty much anything down to raw sheet metal and old screws/nails.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-17, 04:16 PM
EDIT: Understandable - everyone's got their interpretations of alignment. I'd think a paladin would at least say something pre-emptive, since her comment was 'Charm Person is the best spell ever', to try and dissuade her (nicely, as they are friends) from getting any ideas to abuse its power. Like Ken, but with more good-natured advice and less grinding asthmatic faces into carpet.:smallbiggrin:

And how do you know they won't have a quiet word later? :smalltongue:
After all, they only have 2 hours to grab what they want and get out of shouting distance.
And yeah, the scrap yards I've encountered are just tips for metal.

Zolkabro
2011-03-21, 03:15 PM
This. Is. BRILLIANT!
It's a brilliant piece of fiction, I love it, and I actually really want to write my own now, and while I can think of plenty of ideas for characters, I'm not sure about the plot.
Well, I'll think about it.

Please keep writing! I love it!

EDIT:
Important, please read:
Ooh, I just had an great idea! How about other people on this thread write their own stories, in a slightly similar way, and then the characters than we all come up with could meet, and we could write one big super story!
I think this would be a very worthwhile project. We could edit and critique eachothers work, and we could keep it going for as long as we liked. Characters could come and go as posters do, though we will hopefully never lose sight of the central characters. Eventually, we would have a huge, brilliant, communally written story! Hell, maybe even a novella. Maybe even an entire novel! Who knows?

Do the rest of you approve?

Cogidubnus
2011-03-21, 03:47 PM
9th update is up. Sorry it's been another gap, got a coursework deadline this week and wanted to plan the plot before I wrote too much more of this.

Update the 9th:
I always feel, when I look back at my old journals, that things ought to have stayed like that. The happy innocence of it, the joy of being able to Charm surly strangers or knowing you can evade an oncoming car. We live in a different world now, and it’s hard enough to find little reasons to be happy, especially with what has happened. Maybe one day we can get back to that world. Maybe one day. Maybe that’s why I was made a Paladin. So I will always, always fight for that simpler, better world.

We chose to vary our route back into town, since the weather was good and we were cheerful. We headed up the canal, which cut close to where we’d parked, occasionally shifting the cloth bundles we were carrying to a more comfortable position. We didn’t really notice the gaggle of people further up the canal until we got quite close to them. Sixty feet, to be precise. I suddenly stopped, and dropped my two bundles.
“You alright?” Lara asked, stepping towards me. At that same moment, the pack in front of us started to approach us. I held my arms straight down by my sides, feeling a slight sweat on my forehead.
“Lara, stand behind us. Eddie, follow my lead. Both of you make sure your hands are clear.”
The group was a mix of boys and girls, all in their late teens, though there were rather more boys. I counted four girls and seven boys. Without judging anyone, the way they were dressed was clear evidence they weren’t going to be friendly. That is, if I didn’t already know as much from the revolting sense of evil emanating from the group. One of them, the tallest and broadest-shouldered, grinned.
“Whad’ya thing ya’re doin’ round ‘ere, eh? Ya’re not welcome. Walle’s, phones, and wha’ever tha junk is,” he said, nodding at the cloth heaps. “Now.”
I’m a reasonable person, and I’d always tried to avoid fights, even when I could easily win them. But that was before I could see into the souls of the people I was avoiding.
“Not on your life,” I replied. “Get out of our way.”
The big guy didn’t even hesitate. His right hook was sweeping towards my face as I finished my sentence. Shame for him I’m never flat-footed, and he didn’t have Improved Unarmed Strike. Parry, punch to the face (11) and he crumpled into the dirt. Too simple. His pack moved in behind him, trying to rush me. Roundhouse into the stomach, roundhouse into the face, of the first one within reach (14), elbow into the temple of the guy next to him (15), double punch into the chest of the next (17), snap kick under the jaw of another (11). Eddie stepped in next to me, a single punch flattening the guy charging him, followed by a hefty shoulder barge into the next, slamming him into the floor. I knew Eddie’d have him in a painful lock and then have him unconscious within moments, so I was more concerned about the four girls. They all looked ready to go at us just as hard as the guys had, and one had broken a bottle she’d been drinking from and was holding it threateningly. I wasn’t too worried, but Lara only had 2d4 HD, so if she got a critical things’d get nasty. Then a spray of bright colours washed over the girls. Three of them collapsed asleep on the floor, the fourth looking around her, terrified. I leapt through the air, landed a single flying kick, and dropped her. If she tried to tell anyone about the Colour Spray, they’d just put it down to her hitting her head. I didn’t feel sorry for any of them. There hadn’t been a single innocent among them. Ding. 600 xp.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 03:56 PM
EDIT:
Important, please read:
Ooh, I just had an great idea! How about other people on this thread write their own stories, in a slightly similar way, and then the characters than we all come up with could meet, and we could write one big super story!
I think this would be a very worthwhile project. We could edit and critique eachothers work, and we could keep it going for as long as we liked. Characters could come and go as posters do, though we will hopefully never lose sight of the central characters. Eventually, we would have a huge, brilliant, communally written story! Hell, maybe even a novella. Maybe even an entire novel! Who knows?

Well, I do.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-21, 04:17 PM
EDIT:
Important, please read:

It's a good idea. Certainly, I said in the OP that you should feel free to share your stories.
If any of you want to join in writing a communal work, PM me. I'll want to talk over your vision of the world/how it would turn out, as well as where your characters would be located.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 04:24 PM
It's a good idea. Certainly, I said in the OP that you should feel free to share your stories.
If any of you want to join in writing a communal work, PM me. I'll want to talk over your vision of the world/how it would turn out, as well as where your characters would be located.

Hmm, I might try one with people similar to me and my friends. As in, they have the same attitude and skills as us, but otherwise different. I'll PM you if I come up with a story.

Tychris1
2011-03-21, 05:01 PM
Since the instant there were more characters I kept thinking that there just HAS to be a token evil characters (Hoping for a Necromancer, hehehe.) but oh well. I can do nothing but hope, I'll look into the communal thing, maybe even make something about a more dark/evil party.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-21, 05:05 PM
Since the instant there were more characters I kept thinking that there just HAS to be a token evil characters (Hoping for a Necromancer, hehehe.) but oh well. I can do nothing but hope, I'll look into the communal thing, maybe even make something about a more dark/evil party.

I don't really know how to cast an "Evil" character - I think my personality bullies everyone I know into being neutral whether they like it or not xD that makes it hard to. If you want to write some bad guys, we can work with that.

Tychris1
2011-03-21, 05:09 PM
Well they'll be bad guys that's no doubt, but more of the type of bad guys you work with. I'm still working it out but I'm pretty sure I feel like simply transferring my planned out party from my own Story "A Villain's Side" and simply turning them modern (Well same class/name/alignment but different story's etc.). And I personally find it easier to be evil, the best I can make someone is true neutral (Or lawful neutral but then they turn into Spock's).

Cogidubnus
2011-03-21, 05:11 PM
Well they'll be bad guys that's no doubt, but more of the type of bad guys you work with. I'm still working it out but I'm pretty sure I feel like simply transferring my planned out party from my own Story "A Villain's Side" and simply turning them modern (Well same class/name/alignment but different story's etc.). And I personally find it easier to be evil, the best I can make someone is true neutral (Or lawful neutral but then they turn into Spock's).

I fail at playing evil characters. I might stab twenty people in their beds, but then I meet their grieving relatives and quest for the diamonds to raise the lot of them.

Evil people we can work with are good though. Redemption is the root of all goodness. PM me when you have a more solid idea.

Tychris1
2011-03-21, 07:27 PM
I think redemption is the last thing on there minds, will have something more solid later.

Edit: Wait, in update the ninth were the goons NPC's with PC classes? Because otherwise I'm surprised a single monk could burn through so many of them. Classes or not that is a rather LONG feat (Pun intended), but then again this is DnD so realism and the whole things being taken into perspective and thought about are kind of thrown out the window.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-22, 02:03 AM
Most people in DnD are commoners, with about 4-6 hit points. When you're getting AoO against enemy attacks, are using flurry of blows and Snap Kick, and your enemies have an AC of, at best, 11, burning through them isn't too hard. Especially when real life isn't conducted by rounds, so a skilled martial artist can land far more blows than a normal person. The only big jump the class levels make is to the damage each of those attacks inflict.

fizzybobnewt
2011-03-22, 09:00 AM
This. Is. BRILLIANT!
Important, please read:

So, it's basically FFRP, but written like a story? That said, it sounds like a good idea.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 09:06 AM
So, it's basically FFRP, but written like a story? That said, it sounds like a good idea.

It's not FFRP, it's more like OotS, but in novel form.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-22, 09:47 AM

I think the idea was basically several people write a story similar to what I've done, using their own cast of characters, then develop the overlap between groups as the story progresses.

Zolkabro
2011-03-22, 11:36 AM
I think the idea was basically several people write a story similar to what I've done, using their own cast of characters, then develop the overlap between groups as the story progresses.

Exactly! At least someone understood what I meant...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 12:27 PM
Exactly! At least someone understood what I meant...

I understood what you meant. And it's cool.

Zolkabro
2011-03-22, 01:11 PM
Thank you! I think I shall start drawing up character sheets for my main characters now. Should be fun.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 01:13 PM
Thank you! I think I shall start drawing up character sheets for my main characters now. Should be fun.

I already know the character sheet for the guy based on me. Not the others though.

Tychris1
2011-03-22, 02:31 PM
So wait, do we HAVE to make Character sheets for our characters? And is this in fourth or third edition (Because I only have fourth at my disposal). And finally do we have to roll for our characters (I see alot of numbers but I'm not sure about whether they are dice rolls or not.). I'm asking these questions mainly because I have some strange class combos, if they're going to hinder my characters then there's no point in having them (Warlock/Cleric, Paladin(Death Knight)/Necromancer etc). When I have everything answered I'll start to finish up and send you more solid ideas.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 02:33 PM
So wait, do we HAVE to make Character sheets for our characters? And is this in fourth or third edition (Because I only have fourth at my disposal). And finally do we have to roll for our characters (I see alot of numbers but I'm not sure about whether they are dice rolls or not.). I'm asking these questions mainly because I have some strange class combos, if they're going to hinder my characters then there's no point in having them (Warlock/Cleric, Paladin(Death Knight)/Necromancer etc). When I have everything answered I'll start to finish up and send you more solid ideas.

It's 3.5, but all you really have to worry about are class, level, alignment, and feats.

Tychris1
2011-03-22, 02:37 PM
Dang, I still have nothing at my disposal. You know where I can find classes and stuff about 3.5 online?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 02:38 PM
Dang, I still have nothing at my disposal. You know where I can find classes and stuff about 3.5 online?

yes I do. (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm)

The Glyphstone
2011-03-22, 02:56 PM
Plus, it's not supposed to be rolling so much as what you think you'd logically be if you had unconsciously (or consciously) 'chosen' your class. Stats and alignment too.

Zolkabro
2011-03-22, 03:26 PM

You could integrate that into your story. A person who has only every played 4e suddenly has to live by the rules of 3.5. Could be fun.

And no, you don't HAVE to draw up character sheets for your characters, but I highly recommend you do so.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-23, 02:38 AM
Admittedly, the only complete sheet I have is Tristan's, but I have a sketch for everyone. It's just good to know what your characters could reasonably do. For example, there was some wonder if one monk could have taken out as many people as he did in the last update, but I rolled it to check the numbers made sense. That doesn't mean I used the rolls - I just used them to inform my story. You might notice the damage on the sorcerer in the first installment is very low - so that Tristan could finish his attack sequence before dropping him into the negatives.

Zolkabro
2011-03-23, 12:59 PM
Hey, do our characters have to stay human, or can they turn into another race that suits them better?
PLEASE say they can turn into a different race!

Cogidubnus
2011-03-23, 02:44 PM
Hey, do our characters have to stay human, or can they turn into another race that suits them better?
PLEASE say they can turn into a different race!

Honestly, I personally wasn't going to have anyone switch race. That's a bit beyond what I was originally planning for this world. You can give them whatever stats you like (Eddie has obscene stats, although you haven't seen them yet, they're almost all 16-18), so race shouldn't matter too much.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-23, 03:44 PM
At most, you might have a dwarf/little person/vertically challenged individual "count as" a halfling or gnome for rules purposes. They wouldn't actually turn into one, though, it'd just be listed on their character sheet.

So, when will Tristan meet an opponent he can't just oneshot, someone who can actually match him in a fight? If his martial arts training got him six monk levels, I wonder what some of the professional career soldiers (or even army veterans) are sporting now. :smallwink:

Cogidubnus
2011-03-23, 03:59 PM
At most, you might have a dwarf/little person/vertically challenged individual "count as" a halfling or gnome for rules purposes. They wouldn't actually turn into one, though, it'd just be listed on their character sheet.

So, when will Tristan meet an opponent he can't just oneshot, someone who can actually match him in a fight? If his martial arts training got him six monk levels, I wonder what some of the professional career soldiers (or even army veterans) are sporting now. :smallwink:

Well exactly. Also, 10 years of martial arts training does give one a certain edge. I could oneshot all these people in RL xD

But don't worry, things won't stay rosy forever...

Lemonus
2011-03-23, 04:01 PM
But don't worry, things won't stay rosy forever...
:elan: Dun Dun Duuuuuhn!

Zolkabro
2011-03-23, 04:27 PM
Honestly, I personally wasn't going to have anyone switch race. That's a bit beyond what I was originally planning for this world. You can give them whatever stats you like (Eddie has obscene stats, although you haven't seen them yet, they're almost all 16-18), so race shouldn't matter too much.

Woah, so I can give my characters ridiculous stats? I tried to keep mine balanced, so I had good stats, and some great ones, but variation. Does this mean I can make them really powerful?

Cogidubnus
2011-03-23, 04:35 PM
Woah, so I can give my characters ridiculous stats? I tried to keep mine balanced, so I had good stats, and some great ones, but variation. Does this mean I can make them really powerful?

They're your characters xD. Mine's stat breakdowns (as Ken noticed, they actually got upgraded from what they naturally would be when they got class levels):

Tristan: S 16, D 16, Co 12, I 18, W 18, Ch 16 (including +1 from 4th level)
Helen: S 10, D 14, Co 14, I 16, W 18, Ch 16
Ken: S 13, D 14, Co 14, I 19, W 13, Ch 10
Eddie: S 16, D 15, Co 17, I 18, W 17, Ch 14
Lara: S 10, D 13, Co 15, I 16, W 10, C 18.

Ed: If you met the guy Eddie's based off, you'd understand those stats xD

The Glyphstone
2011-03-23, 04:42 PM
Impressive mental stats...you and your friends are all members of Mensa or Intertel?

Also, Ken is apparently Middle-aged. It's the only way he could have Int 19 if he hasn't hit level 4 yet. Surprised that hasn't become a plot point yet.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-23, 04:46 PM
Impressive mental stats...you and your friends are all members of Mensa or something?

We don't have Mensa here, but yeah, we went to a selective school etc. Also, remember the stats have been boosted, and don't necessarily correspond totally well to real life - 18 Int doesn't mean 180 IQ, for example. But without boasting, we're all pretty smart.

Ed: Added Lara to the statblock. Can't believe I forgot her =S

The Glyphstone
2011-03-23, 04:49 PM
I don't put any stock in the stupid IQ equations, because the IQ test is constantly recalibrated. But an 18 Int puts you in the top 0.5% of all of humanity if you're rolling 3d6, or the top 1.6% of all humanity if you roll 4d6 drop 1.

(handy analysis I found here (https://klubkev.org/~ksulliva/ralph/dnd-stats.html). An interesting read through the whole thing if you like math, actually.)

Also...do you live on the moon or something? Mensa is an international organization.:smallbiggrin:

Cogidubnus
2011-03-23, 04:54 PM
I don't put any stock in the stupid IQ equations, because the IQ test is constantly recalibrated. But an 18 Int puts you in the top 0.5% of all of humanity if you're rolling 3d6, or the top 1.6% of all humanity if you roll 4d6 drop 1.

(handy analysis I found here (https://klubkev.org/~ksulliva/ralph/dnd-stats.html). An interesting read through the whole thing if you like math, actually.)

Also...do you live on the moon or something? Mensa is an international organization.:smallbiggrin:

I live in England. It's kinda like the moon, except we don't let people bring ideas into our country.
Seriously, I have only encountered Mensa mentioned on these forums, even by Oxbridge people. No one's heard of it xD

Ed: Whaddya know, the British Mensa have a website. Who knew?

The Glyphstone
2011-03-23, 04:56 PM
Do any of the names on this list ring a bell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_IQ_society

Cogidubnus
2011-03-23, 05:01 PM
Found the version I've seen. They have a "Gifted and Talented" scheme which we were all in for one reason or another. I love the Internet :smallbiggrin:

Ed: and after a chat with my Dad, who has passed the Mensa test (think he got 180?), yeah, we all would be in that percentile.

Saint Nil
2011-03-23, 07:39 PM
First off, allow me to say I love your stories. The read very naturally and are incredibly interesting. But a few thoughts that people haven't mentioned/

First off, why is Tristan not worried about the sorcerer anymore? Even after his fingers were broken when they heal no prison can hold him if he goes full sociopath. And thats not even considering if he has an accomplice. After all, D&D is a social game so it makes sense he has his own party. One of them could have easily made the police forget about it and remove them from the scene. Or even worse

A member of the police could decide to work with him. An excellent place to recruit those low in morals, and would explain why the crime never hit the news.

Second, based off the rogue Tristan captured it would seem that anyone who either plays D&D or played D&D might have gained class levels. Does this not horrify anyone? Assuming WoTC is correct and 4 million (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/playdnd/parents) people in the U.S alone play D&D that means a little more than 1% of the United States would gain class levels. Assuming 1% of them are wizards(and I doubt its that low) and then 1% of of 1% earn enough XP to reach epic levels, thats still 4 epic level wizards in the U.S. alone. 4 epic level wizards could do a lot.:smalleek:

Then take into account evil clerics, dread necromancers, it would be easy to create a night of the living dead with enough patience. The psychological damage those creatures could cause on an army would be devastating.

And we assume that whoever or whatever is DMing (aliens, God, the laws of the universe) removes insanity like sticking a dying person's head in a bucket of water doesn't stabilize them. Or allows someone to wish themselves into a kobold and creating Pun-Pun.

And even without all these problems you still need to worry about Ken. It would only be a matter of time until you could no longer (forgive me for using this term) bully him into doing what you say. What happens when he leaves town to level up his way? Thats a time bomb waiting to happen.

And if everyone who played D&D gains class levels, imagine what GiTP would be like. People sending coded messages to see if others are like them, forming guilds for protection (or more dubious activities).

And then we raise questions like can a laptop be used as a wizard's spellbook? How many custom rules is this setting using? What classes are legal? Who gestalts and who doesn't? I would guess that current players might be rewarded by being allows to gestalt while past players still cash in, but only get one class.

And then there is the question of why this happened, which I suspect might become the overall campaign for at least one group. I understand why it hasn't been brought up immediantly as the group is still getting strong enough to defend themselves, and this is a gamers dream come true making it hard to question it until the bliss wears off (most likely from the situations I mentioned above).

Food for thought. I hope you keep writing this, as its been great.:smallsmile:
(Also, I know all of my statistics mention the U.S. and this is in the U.K., but I used the information I had. It might be interesting if you research how many D&D players there currently where you live.)

Tychris1
2011-03-23, 08:04 PM
You think to much, though I can PROMISE that crap will hit the fan eventually, and in the most horrific way possible thanks to my group and a little planning with the real writer. Don't worry for a second with your paranoid head until my group starts getting updates.

As for Ken, he seems rather spineless and I doubt the Monk will let him leave his sight (Think of Roy and Belkar).

And why would the Sorceror go solo if he did have a group? It seemed to show that he was just starting and didn't have the common sense of getting into a group. But broken fingers take a while to heal, even afterwards they'll be messed up, and even afterwards you need materials to cast spells which I doubt that the Sorceror will be able to get alot of (If any) behind bars.

fizzybobnewt
2011-03-23, 08:14 PM
Possibly the material requirements are conveniantly ignored, like in the game.

Saint Nil
2011-03-23, 08:26 PM
Oh, well them lets look at his trial. A man is claimed to have shot fireballs from his fingers. Assuming that there is videofeed of this then the government and media would have a field day.

If not, then a good lawyer with the ability to cast charm person could easily create a mistrial. Imagine lawyers magically influencing judges, hitmen with alter self. Besides, this is merely speculation rather than paranoia. No harm in it.

That would make this world alot easier for mages Fizzy. However, not all spells even bother with material components. Knock, Mage Hand, Hypnotism...
And then spells like unseen servant and grease require household items like wood, string, and butter.

I mention this in order to help other writers and to perhaps spark ideas.

fizzybobnewt
2011-03-23, 10:44 PM
What if the system people were converted to was not D&D, but Risus? Hee hee...

And since I'm posting, my highest compliments to the chef author.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-24, 03:30 AM
For the people worrying about things: you're thinking like a PC. You're running it like a game, with a cool head and some space to think. I'm trying to explore what might happen to real people, not people thinking like the world's a game, and they currently are still in the stage of enjoying themselves and glorying in their new-found powers to worry too much. It doesn't mean there aren't problems, purely that they don't see them.

Zolkabro
2011-03-24, 02:10 PM
And finally, here it is! My first update!
Coginubnus, please copy this into the first post and put it in under my name.

Update the First:
Today, I am not ashamed to say I woke up and screamed like a little girl.
You see, things are getting a little weird around here. Not necessarily bad weird, in fact, very good weird in some ways. But definitely weird. For instance, me waking up this morning. What happened then was scarily weird.

I woke up blearily as usual, and looked at my watch. I was half-asleep, and my brain wasn’t working properly, so I took me a few seconds to read it. Then I put my arm back under the duvet and closed my eyes again.
But then I stopped suddenly. I looked at my hand. Something seemed wrong, but I couldn’t for the life of me say what.
It was something about my hand. My watch was still there, I had all five fingers, I had fur, I had claws, I had-
Wait, fur and claws?
I leap out of bed and looked at myself. My pyjamas were taut on my skin, and all the skin I could see was covered in fur. I ran to my mirror, and stopped dead. I stared into the mirror, fascinated and terrified by what I saw. A grizzly bear stuffed into some small pyjamas stared back.
And that’s when the screaming happened.
I yelled for my brother John. I knew that out of everyone, he is the one I could trust. But only unintelligible roars came out of my mouth. I tried again, but all that came out was a deafening roar. I concentrated on what I usually look like, tried as hard as I could to look as I normally do, but of course it did nothing. I tensed all my muscles, and ended up splitting my pyjamas. John heard the roars anyway, and came running. But when he saw me, a huge grizzly bear with his brothers pyjamas torn up around its feet, he was shocked beyond belief. He hesitated, and then came to the understandable but completely wrong conclusion that the bear had eaten his brother. I tried to tell him that it was me, but no words came out, only a few desperate whines and growls.
I held my arms up to protect myself as my brother, incensed with anger, threw a chair at me. I walked over to him, and started to talk sign language. My brother stopped dead, and walked slowly towards me. He didn’t understand sign language as well as I did, but at least now he knew that this was more that just a bear.
I walked over to my desk, and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen. The pen was a nightmare to hold with my paws, but I eventually managed to write in extremely untidy handwriting: “Its me, James!”
My brother turned slowly towards me, and looked me in the eye.
“You’re my brother?” He asked incredulously.
I nodded enthusiastically.
John leant towards me, and studies me eyes. He leant back after a minute or two, satisfied.
“Your eyes are the same.” he said quietly. “It really is you, isn’t it?
I nodded again.
“But, how?” he said, shaking his head slowly. “How?”

Let the speculation on what the hell has happened to me, begin!
It's kind of given away by the fact that you all know that D&D is real, but my character doesn't...

I know it's a bit short, but I like this little cliffhanger, before I realise what's going on. I'll add more soon.

John Cribati
2011-03-24, 02:15 PM
Druid?

Or just Polymorphed?

Cogidubnus
2011-03-24, 03:00 PM

Update the First:
You see, things are getting a little weird around here. Not necessarily bad weird, in fact, very good weird in some ways. But definitely weird. For instance, me waking up this morning. What happened then was scarily weird.

I woke up blearily as usual, and looked at my watch. I was half-asleep, and my brain wasn’t working properly, so I took me a few seconds to read it. Then I put my arm back under the duvet and closed my eyes again.
But then I stopped suddenly. I looked at my hand. Something seemed wrong, but I couldn’t for the life of me say what.
It was something about my hand. My watch was still there, I had all five fingers, I had fur, I had claws, I had-
Wait, fur and claws?
I leap out of bed and looked at myself. My pyjamas were taut on my skin, and all the skin I could see was covered in fur. I ran to my mirror, and stopped dead. I stared into the mirror, fascinated and terrified by what I saw. A grizzly bear stuffed into some small pyjamas stared back.
I yelled for my brother John. I knew that out of everyone, he is the one I could trust. But only unintelligible roars came out of my mouth. I tried again, but all that came out was a deafening roar. I concentrated on what I usually look like, tried as hard as I could to look as I normally do, but of course it did nothing. I tensed all my muscles, and ended up splitting my pyjamas. John heard the roars anyway, and came running. But when he saw me, a huge grizzly bear with his brothers pyjamas torn up around its feet, he was shocked beyond belief. He hesitated, and then came to the understandable but completely wrong conclusion that the bear had eaten his brother. I tried to tell him that it was me, but no words came out, only a few desperate whines and growls.
I held my arms up to protect myself as my brother, incensed with anger, threw a chair at me. I walked over to him, and started to talk sign language. My brother stopped dead, and walked slowly towards me. He didn’t understand sign language as well as I did, but at least now he knew that this was more that just a bear.
I walked over to my desk, and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen. The pen was a nightmare to hold with my paws, but I eventually managed to write in extremely untidy handwriting: “Its me, James!”
John leant towards me, and studies me eyes. He leant back after a minute or two, satisfied.
I nodded again.

It's kind of given away by the fact that you all know that D&D is real, but my character doesn't...

I know it's a bit short, but I like this little cliffhanger, before I realise what's going on. I'll add more soon.

Do you mind starting your own thread, which I'll link from the OP? It just keeps all the comments targeted on what's happening in that particular story. Otherwise, I foresee this getting really confusing.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-24, 03:19 PM
My thread is up.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-24, 03:21 PM

Update the First:

Wait, fur and claws?
I nodded again.

Probably would be better to start your own thread, and you can link to each other. That way you can update when Cog isn't online, and people won't get confused and think they are one narrative.

EDIT: Swordsage'd by Cog.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-24, 03:24 PM
My thread is up.

Linkie pleasie?

I...am not sure why I did that :smallbiggrin:

I think it's the exhaustion.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-24, 03:41 PM
Fine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192262), but you could just search for it instead.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-24, 03:46 PM
Fine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192262), but you could just search for it instead.

Sorry. Put it in the OP, anyway.

Zolkabro
2011-03-24, 04:06 PM
Do you mind starting your own thread, which I'll link from the OP? It just keeps all the comments targeted on what's happening in that particular story. Otherwise, I foresee this getting really confusing.

Yes sir! *salutes*

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-24, 04:09 PM
First two parts of my story are up, if you respond to them, do it on my thread.

Zolkabro
2011-03-24, 04:16 PM
Okay, thread is up! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10623941) I have my first update there, please link to it in the OP.
Also, please explain the whole communal work thing in the OP as well.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-25, 01:52 PM
Update the Tenth (that feels like kinda a milestone):

Eddie wasn’t even phased.
“We should probably get out of here. They’re all only unconscious, they’ll wake up in a bit feeling only slightly the worse, but it could lead to some awkward publicity.”
“Yeah,” Lara agreed. “I don’t really want them asking how we managed to do that. Speaking of, I’m feeling a little bit out-done by your Flurry of Blows there Tristan.”
“It’s not a competition,” I answered, slightly annoyed. “It’s an extremely unfortunate sequence of events that leads to violence of any kind and I don’t get that much of a thrill from knocking seven bells out of a bunch of thugs. I never have. But it is necessary.” I sighed. “Yeah, you’re right, we should probably keep moving.” I didn’t like it. It felt like running away, like hiding because we’d done something wrong. We hadn’t. We’d defended ourselves from evil people. But even if we could make others see that, we definitely didn’t want the attention just now. I never know whether to trust the justice system or not. People...are so flawed, so malleable, so impressionable. There’s no reason to trust they wouldn’t lock us up in a lab somewhere. I winced to think of what might happen to that poor sorcerer I’d taken down in the supermarket, for all the foulness of his intentions. I really did need to find out what happened to him. It’s not like he could protect himself either, with broken fingers and no spell components. I’d go over to the police station myself at some point. Time to test out those ranks in Diplomacy and class bonuses to it.

We managed to get home without further incident. I was glad to find Ken and Helen still safe and undisturbed. Ken had made good progress with his crafting, and appreciated the raw materials, but Helen had a more exciting discovery. As soon as possible, she dragged us all outside so we could talk without being overheard.
“We’ve all hated school as often as not, right? Even our favourite subjects sometimes drag when it’s hard or we’re tired.”
“What’re you getting at?” Eddie quipped. Ken looked on, smirking slightly with entertainment. He already knew whatever it was, I could see. And that’ll be those ranks in Sense Motive.
“Well, you’ll never have to dread homework again. For one thing, the Knowledge skills cover school subjects too – Arcana is physics and chemistry, Nature is biology, History and Geography are, well, history and geography. Religion is RS. And Local covers literature and culture. Any Perform ranks give you a knowledge of the associated theory.” She beamed, clearly thrilled at all this. I was glad to see her growing accustomed to the good bits of the changes.
“That’s useful, but it’s not exactly earth-shattering,” Eddie pointed out. “I reckon we could have guessed there would be something like that.”
“You haven’t heard the best bit yet,” Ken said, his face and eyes as alive as Helen’s by now.
“Every bit of schoolwork we do, even every question we get asked, is a skill challenge. A group of them forms a skill encounter. We get experience for doing schoolwork.”
“You’re kidding?!” I laughed. “That’s the best news. Well, short of hearing you’d forged a Wish loop.”
“A Wish loop?” Helen asked.
“Don’t go there,” Ken replied. “It’d be so tempting to try, but is almost certain to end with ‘rocks fall, everybody dies’. I doubt even the cosmic DM would let us get away with that sort of Shenanigans.”
You could hear the capital letter on “Shenanigans”. I chuckled.
“Wise words Ken, wise words. But this is fantastic. It also reminds me I have some work that’s due in tomorrow. Do you guys want me to run you home?”
Helen shook her head. “I’ve got enough stuff to stay tonight, so I’ll come into school with you tomorrow. I already checked – my parents are fine with it.”
Lara had a similar sentiment, except she had no parents she needed to ask permission from. Both Ken and Eddie had to go back, so they could get to their school the next day. Ken took his crafting with him, promising to do his best to continue during the week. Eddie seemed firmly intent on training all evening when I dropped him off, and I grinned to see his enthusiasm. His older brothers were back from university for Easter, and I was quite certain he’d have fun trouncing them with his newly-acquired class levels. That’d be a new experience for them, being used to being bigger than Eddie and therefore having a good shot at beating him.

I was going to write more but my cousin's about to appear after about 2 years not seeing each other, so it'll have to wait.

Tychris1
2011-03-25, 02:20 PM
You should probably put it in the OP, and it didn't seem that short. Although I really liked this chapter because it seemed to add character to the main character. The fact that he seems to carry a "I have better moral judgements then you." was evident (To me at least) that he seems to think that other humans are not as good as him, when you take in all the other incidents of his morals righting wrongs I can see this going to his head, and sooner or later it'll develop into the moral extreme of Lawful Good in which he completely dominates the law (Or atleast his laws) and is too drunk on his moral high and mightiness to look around and see what he's actually doing.

Or maybe I'm just going overboard on speculation, meh. I'll have my version up in about 40 minutes, hope you like it.

Edit: Finally got my own story up. I linked it to yours so vice versa. Tell me what you think about it in my thread. Here the URL to my thread, I'm to lazy to put it in hyperlink and Mac's make it increasingly annoying and tedious (Especially with safari). http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192409

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-25, 07:48 PM
I wonder how exactly it will go when all of the characters meet. I mean, it's a story, with just one writer. Maybe it would be best if Cogidubnus just wrote all of them.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-25, 07:53 PM
I may take a spin at writing my own side to this - though I definitely plan a different take on it than the ones posted so far.:smallbiggrin:

John Cribati
2011-03-25, 08:37 PM
I might toss my hat into the basket too, horrible mixed metaphor that that is.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-25, 08:49 PM
My story isn't very good, maybe should overhaul it and rewrite it entirely. Same characters though.

Zolkabro
2011-03-26, 02:33 AM
My story isn't very good, maybe should overhaul it and rewrite it entirely. Same characters though.

I'm sorry to say that I agree. You've got some great ideas, and your class combinations are very good, but your style of writing needs work.
You also need to think more originally about the plot. Everybody needs very different ideas, and that will make it more interesting when the glom together

A prefessional writer once gave me a tip that I am not very good at following, because it is difficult, but it is a very good tip and I have never forgotten it.
He said: "No detail is too small and insignificant to mention. There was a fly on the wall, the man had muddy footsteeps, etc. The more details you have, the more vividly the reader will imagine what is going on."
Right now, your writing is far too simplistic. You are only mentioning the very basic things. You must describe, go into detail. Who are the people you have met so far? What are they like? What do their houses look like?
I especially want you to describe the falchion. Make it badass. :D

I don't want to be harsh or nitpicky, but I do feel that you need this advice. I hope it helps.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-26, 10:26 AM
So, a thought to the other active writers in this little saga: I want to include a monster in mine - a dire animal, probably - so how would the concept that increased density of people (i.e., major metropolitan areas and cities where more people were affected by the 'rules integration') correspond to other weakenings of the separation between RL and fantasy, enough to say, let a Girallon or Dire Lion loose in New York Central Park? Definitely keep it to the 'maybe just a mutant animal' category for now, but would that go over well or be too much of a disruption. Directed at Cog particularly, since he's the one who came up with this whole thing as the sort-of-head writer.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-26, 10:32 AM
So, a thought to the other active writers in this little saga: I want to include a monster in mine - a dire animal, probably - so how would the concept that increased density of people (i.e., major metropolitan areas and cities where more people were affected by the 'rules integration') correspond to other weakenings of the separation between RL and fantasy, enough to say, let a Girallon or Dire Lion loose in New York Central Park? Definitely keep it to the 'maybe just a mutant animal' category for now, but would that go over well or be too much of a disruption. Directed at Cog particularly, since he's the one who came up with this whole thing as the sort-of-head writer.

I'm going to PM you an answer to this, because of spoilers.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-26, 10:43 AM
Okeydoke. Opinions from others are still welcome, since it will be a community work of sorts.

Zolkabro
2011-03-26, 12:26 PM
Could all PMs about the communal work be forwarded to all writers taking part? We do need to know what other people will be doing so that we can tie into them!

This is very important! Please make sure you do!

EDIT: Thank you very much!

Lord Raziere
2011-03-26, 02:53 PM
I have a question: what about other editions? there are probably people still playing the previous editions out there as well 4e, it can't all be 3.5

I mean imagine the arguments that broke out over these editions, and now imagine what happens when these people are actually given the powers from these editions- if DnD was real, like these threads depict, there would be literal Edition Wars.

and that is probably the best case scenario: I mean look at it this way: what would happen if something like Exalted was real and suddenly started having 700 godly PCs running around Earth....

The Glyphstone
2011-03-26, 02:58 PM
Thankfully, that hasn't happened - at least in this continuity. It doesn't matter if you're a D&D player, or a WoD player, or a TOON player - your world now operates according to 3.5 rules.

Lord Raziere
2011-03-26, 03:29 PM
Thankfully, that hasn't happened - at least in this continuity. It doesn't matter if you're a D&D player, or a WoD player, or a TOON player - your world now operates according to 3.5 rules.

then you should be more specific, because the title is inaccurate as it is, it should read "Say 3.5 was real" not "DnD" otherwise more people from other editions and games will come and start asking the same questions.

that and if it is only 3.5 rules, then how does homebrew exist? if the rules can be changed, then why can't entirely different set of rules be used?

also I wouldn't worry about the 4 batman wizards. I would worry about some guy turning himself into Pun-Pun.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-26, 03:31 PM

This. Regardless of what you play, the world is 3.5. So there'll be some really confused people not understanding their powers, but vaguely recognising what's happening.

Lord Raziere
2011-03-26, 03:38 PM
then change the title to "say 3.5 was real" otherwise is it inaccurate. 3.5 is not the entirety of DnD.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-26, 03:41 PM
If all you're going to do is complain about the title...is that really constructive or helpful to Cog?

EDIT: Not to say you can't bring the topic up - but Cog is the 'lead writer' on this project, so to speak, and if he doesn't feel changing the title is important, you're stuck with it, assuming you decide to keep reading.

Lord Raziere
2011-03-26, 03:50 PM
the way I see it, he is not depicting what would REALLY REALLY happen if DnD was real since its only 3.5. If DnD were real in reality it wouldn't just be 3.5, the title is inaccurate because 3.5 isn't the whole game nor is it representative of the whole game, you would 2nd editioners walking around, people playing 1st or even the original game, 3.0, and 4e and essentials, and therefore Cog's title is wrong, because if he wants to say "Say Dnd was real" then he should allow the other editions in, otherwise he is excluding all other parts of DnD in this story about DnD being real therefore not actually depicting a story about DnD being real, just depicting a story about 3.5 being real, therefore inaccurate.

therefore either allow all editions or call it 3.5. not asking much, just asking that he be honest.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-26, 04:01 PM
Or maybe you're just taking it a little too seriously?

Zolkabro
2011-03-26, 04:25 PM
the way I see it, he is not depicting what would REALLY REALLY happen if DnD was real since its only 3.5. If DnD were real in reality it wouldn't just be 3.5, the title is inaccurate because 3.5 isn't the whole game nor is it representative of the whole game, you would 2nd editioners walking around, people playing 1st or even the original game, 3.0, and 4e and essentials, and therefore Cog's title is wrong, because if he wants to say "Say Dnd was real" then he should allow the other editions in, otherwise he is excluding all other parts of DnD in this story about DnD being real therefore not actually depicting a story about DnD being real, just depicting a story about 3.5 being real, therefore inaccurate.

therefore either allow all editions or call it 3.5. not asking much, just asking that he be honest.

Okay, this thread is about the writing. We appreciate feedback, but please, make your feedback constructive. We have a title, and we like it, and we are sticking with it. Cog can say that it is 3.5 in the OP, but right now you are just being unnecessarily pedantic.
Please, read our stories and give your opinion, but something like the title is fixed and unchangable.
Thank you for your feedback all the same.

Anyway, my third update is up, where there are some interesting developments which maybe I should have checked with Cog about first, but oh well.
See them on my thread!

Lord Raziere
2011-03-26, 04:55 PM
Ok. thanks, I'll accept that.

maybe I should make alternate continuity where all editions are there. bet that'd satisfy me.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-26, 05:17 PM
It'd certainly be interesting to see a take on the scenario where multiple editions were 'competing' for dominance over the real world - maybe it'd be determined by age, and not edition preference (just like in this world, it's 3.5 or bust) - the edition that was 'current' when you were growing up is what gets 'assigned' to you...

You should definitely start a story thread of your own to discuss this sort of thing, I think there's potential. Maybe you can get co-writers too.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-27, 06:51 AM
The reason I didn't have all editions running together is that they have non-complimentary rules systems. It would be very complicated. So I'd be interested to see your take on it.

As an interesting linguistic point, we would say 'I play DnD', regardless of the edition, which despite being a misleading and uninformative statement is generally considered acceptable. The things we get used to.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-27, 08:38 AM
Oh - by the way, Part 1 and 2 of my narrative are up here.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192581

Lord Raziere
2011-03-27, 09:38 AM
The reason I didn't have all editions running together is that they have non-complimentary rules systems. It would be very complicated. So I'd be interested to see your take on it.

As an interesting linguistic point, we would say 'I play DnD', regardless of the edition, which despite being a misleading and uninformative statement is generally considered acceptable. The things we get used to.

well thats exactly the point of what would actually happen if DnD was real.
it wouldn't be just one system, and it wouldn't be simple. I'm thinking that damage itself would be applied the same- DnD has used the same type of dicerolling throughout its history. but there is probably a lot of discrepancy between the amounts of damage that is dealt....

I'll have to look up 1 and 2 editions.....to see what exactly would be the score here...can't leave anyone out in a four or five sided war....but then again five sided might be putting it lightly....

The Glyphstone
2011-03-27, 10:17 AM
well thats exactly the point of what would actually happen if DnD was real.
it wouldn't be just one system, and it wouldn't be simple. I'm thinking that damage itself would be applied the same- DnD has used the same type of dicerolling throughout its history. but there is probably a lot of discrepancy between the amounts of damage that is dealt....

I'll have to look up 1 and 2 editions.....to see what exactly would be the score here...can't leave anyone out in a four or five sided war....but then again five sided might be putting it lightly....

I wish you luck if you decide to include multiple franchises (WoD, for example) into the mix. If it's "what if all RPG became real", then you've got a real conundrum on your hand.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-27, 10:17 AM
I find it vaguely humourous to say 'that's not how it would happen if DnD was real'. It's a fantasy story, there are no rules about how it's supposed to work, except those you decide on.

It's like if magic was real. Would it be LotR magic, Dnd magic, Charter magic? It's all your story, after all.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-27, 10:31 AM
The main problem with having all the editions become real means the writer has to own all the editions.

Zolkabro
2011-03-27, 10:38 AM
The main problem with having all the editions become real means the writer has to own all the editions.

That's why I didn't go ahead with my original idea:
My brother has only ever played 4e, so I could have made him very confused by all the differences. Suddenly, he had to play by rules that were similar, but very different, to the ones he had learnt.
But I have only played 4e once, so I decided not to include that. I don't know 4e well enough to put down all the differences.

Lord Raziere
2011-03-27, 10:44 AM
I wish you luck if you decide to include multiple franchises (WoD, for example) into the mix. If it's "what if all RPG became real", then you've got a real conundrum on your hand.

or a really awesome setting, depending on your point of view.

up it a little, make the change have so much upheaval that the editions form entire nations with 3.5 being ruled by pun-pun, 4e ruled by a council of level 30's, now imagine the WoD and Exalted and both here and also competing against each other, but only he Sidereals know of the WoD and so are caught up in this secret war against it while manipulating the dragon-blooded to go hunting for said WoD monsters, meanwhile the Solars are all running rampant in all games making everything awesome, going into DnD and recruiting PCs into their army, Lunars are also out there as well.

an while all this is happening Dark Heresy and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay are both invading as well and you must unite all DnD editions to defeat them!

The Glyphstone
2011-03-27, 10:46 AM
TOON characters would win in the end. They're the only ones who literally have no mechanics for death.:smallbiggrin:

Shades of Gray
2011-03-27, 11:36 AM
I'm curious as to why people have separate threads for their own stories. You should post them in this thread, and link to the other posts which have the rest of your story. Or make an archive on the first post (or some other post with a link to it in the first post) of everyone's stories.

Zolkabro
2011-03-27, 11:46 AM
I'm curious as to why people have separate threads for their own stories. You should post them in this thread, and link to the other posts which have the rest of your story. Or make an archive on the first post (or some other post with a link to it in the first post) of everyone's stories.

Personally I agree, but Cog thought that we would all get mixed up when feedback was given about who is talking about who. So the rest of us agreed.

Anyway, my next part is up. It's mostly just giving the details of my characters, but we will have some action next update, I promise.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-27, 12:36 PM

That's what I did in mine, gave links with names to the other participants.

Zolkabro
2011-03-27, 01:28 PM
That's what I did in mine, gave links with names to the other participants.

No, I think Shades meant you have all the stories posted in the same thread, and the OP links to the particular posts, not other people's threads.
Is that right, Shades?

Hazzardevil
2011-03-27, 04:11 PM
I like this and as mentioned in my fanfic thread which in a few minutes should be in my sig it inspired me. Also, if it's not too much to ask can I be in your little group thing?

Cogidubnus
2011-03-27, 04:14 PM
I like this and as mentioned in my fanfic thread which in a few minutes should be in my sig it inspired me. Also, if it's not too much to ask can I be in your little group thing?

Yep, sure. I need to write up a total list of information for writers so I can just PM it to everyone who gets involved. I'll try to do that tomorrow, m'off to bed now.

John Cribati
2011-03-28, 02:56 PM
I am now in on this thing. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10650946)

Ajadea
2011-03-28, 02:56 PM
If you don't mind, I'd liked to get involved with this, and I'll probably post the first update on Wednesdayish?

Cogidubnus
2011-03-28, 03:24 PM
If you don't mind, I'd liked to get involved with this, and I'll probably post the first update on Wednesdayish?

Always good to have more people. I will PM the new arrivals setting information at some point, haven't had time to write it all up yet. PM me if you have any specific questions.

John Cribati
2011-03-28, 03:31 PM
We should totally set up where everyone is in relation to everyone else. My story is set in New York, because that's what I'm familiar with.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-28, 03:44 PM
I'm in Philadelphia for the same reason.

Incidentally, feel free to incorporate the girallon I set loose in Central Park into your narrative if you want an early subtle tie-in/shout-out.:smallsmile:

Tychris1
2011-03-28, 03:47 PM
We should totally set up where everyone is in relation to everyone else. My story is set in New York, because that's what I'm familiar with.

Oh cool, so is mine. Maybe we could entertwine our storys (But then again unless your characters are evil then we'll be fighting more then working together). But perhaps you could be the protagonist a little closer to the problem.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-28, 04:03 PM
Mine's in North Yorkshire - gotta love that countryside. I was going to start filtering the girallon, and the orcs, to my characters.

Zolkabro
2011-03-28, 04:28 PM
Mine is set in Northwest London, because that's the area I know best.

Also, I'm not sure we want too many people taking part in tihs project or it will get really confusing.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-28, 04:30 PM
Well, with Herp's narrative, we have 6 people writing in our main continuity. That's the typical maximum size of an adventuring party, so that might be a good cap.

Zolkabro
2011-03-28, 04:32 PM
Well, with Herp's narrative, we have 6 people writing in our main continuity. That's the typical maximum size of an adventuring party, so that might be a good cap.

So, shall we have no more volunteers from now on?
The problem is, if we can have some really talented writers in that would be great, and I also don't want to turn anyone away. But we don't want it getting out of hand, either. What do we do? :smalleek:

Cogidubnus
2011-03-28, 04:38 PM
Since Ajadea also expressed interest before we had this discussion, shall we allow her along and then stop there? Some people will probably not carry their narratives all the way through anyway - life gets unexpectedly complicated sometimes.

Zolkabro
2011-03-28, 04:48 PM
Since Ajadea also expressed interest before we had this discussion, shall we allow her along and then stop there? Some people will probably not carry their narratives all the way through anyway - life gets unexpectedly complicated sometimes.

I suppose maybe we must... but I really don't want to have to turn anyone away...
Damn it, I'm too nice!
*sigh*
Alright, you people decide, I don't know. I'm having no say in this.

Ajadea
2011-03-28, 04:53 PM
Well, crap. I'm most familiar with the Pacific Northwest. Anyone want to give me a rundown on what the New York area is like, for the party's sake?

ragingrage
2011-03-28, 04:54 PM
Hmm...Maybe keep the current group of six writers for the big story (e.g. how you guys are all going to combine it. That thing.) But allow and still give feedback to any one else who wants to write a story like this (just dont include them in the big one)
Even though I'm not writing a story, I could see how having too many would make any crossover very difficult.

Zolkabro
2011-03-28, 05:01 PM
Well, crap. I'm most familiar with the Pacific Northwest. Anyone want to give me a rundown on what the New York area is like, for the party's sake?

It doesn't have to be in New York. Cog and I have ours set in England, you can set your story wherever you like. Just put it where you are most familiar, and maybe your characters will travel to New York later, who knows. But don't feel pressured that you have to set your where some other people have set theirs.

John Cribati
2011-03-28, 05:08 PM
The way I see it, We're not going to be crossing over all the time, so I really have no problem with allowing in anyone who wants in. Those of us who are close to each other, like me and Tychris, can join stories more often, but I'd prefer that for the most part, each story be its own isolated tale of a guy and his pals, sort of like an expanded universe.

Though I admit that a mega-crossover between all the writers would likely be a god-awful mess to plan out.

Tychris1
2011-03-28, 05:19 PM
*Ahem* Gals and her pals.

And I already am going to get connected with Herp (A derp) to see how we can work together. Send me a PM will yah?

Temassasin
2011-03-28, 05:51 PM
this is awesome

Saint Nil
2011-03-28, 09:56 PM
Just a suggestion, would it be a better idea to make one single thread? That way if someone did stop for some reason than it wouldn't be so bad as its only a post rather than a whole thread wasted. I have been reading everyone's threads and I think its great your all working together on this. Keep it up.:smallsmile:

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-28, 11:20 PM
I'm writing up something now. It should be up tomorrow or the day after.
Mine would be set in Australia so less opportunity for cross-over, though mine is shaping up to be more apocalyptic

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-28, 11:24 PM
I'm writing up something now. It should be up tomorrow or the day after.
Mine would be set in Australia so less opportunity for cross-over, though mine is shaping up to be more apocalyptic

I don't think we're allowing any more stories, there are already too many. But you'll have to see what Cog says.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-29, 01:38 AM
He should feel free to write up what he wants, though we won't be able to organise a crossover and his continuity may drift from the one we're trying to establish.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-29, 12:27 PM
Update the 11th:
Monday morning was met with far less groaning than usual from Helen and I. It’s nowhere near as painful to get up for school when you only need 6 hours sleep to feel fully refreshed. It was almost depressingly ordinary, though. I mean, I was relieved the world still hadn’t gone to Hell, or the Hells, for that matter, but there is something so mundane about going to school that after an hour it can make the most exciting of things seem dull. That feeling didn’t last, though. Lara said goodbye to us before we hopped on the bus to school. She was going to spend the day doing some investigating, she said. We didn’t bother to try to work out what that meant. The bus journey was passed in the usual bubble of quiet we tried to preserve in the swarm of loud, annoying children. All the older students, the last two years in the school, sat together to try to keep the chaotic hordes at bay, although as none of us were really close friends, we tended to stick to ones, twos and threes in our conversations. Today, there was nothing Helen and I could talk about in so public a place. All either of us could think about was what had happened over the weekend. So we sat quietly, holding up the walls of our oasis, until we reached school.

That was the first time I ever paid attention and felt alive for a whole school day. Every time I answered a question in class, every time I did some work – ding, experience. It wasn’t a lot of experience, but it was something. And it felt good, it was enlivening. It stopped me getting bored or stopping caring whenever I began to drift into my own little world. I could see Helen was the same – her eyes were alive whenever I saw her, a far picture from the usual drab faces we showed by the middle of a school day. I came home from school feeling fresh and ready for anything. Another first. Helen had to get off at her stop – two nights at mine in a row was the best she could squeeze her parents into agreeing to, but I carried on cheerful regardless.

Getting home, I found Lara had got a bus home, leaving a note in my folded-down laptop saying there was nothing to worry about, she just wanted to stay in her own bed for a bit. I went outside and started my usual exercise regime, pull-ups from a tree branch followed by push-ups. I then ran through some staff practise, just to make sure I knew all my forms and sequences. When I came back in, Chris called me into the study. He was on YouTube, as was his favourite pastime.
“Watch this,” he said, “it’s really weird.”
Ordinarily, I’d have assumed it was just one more strange angry person, but after this weekend, my mind still shining from the xp that I’d been earning all day, I simply stopped and watched, mumbling an “ok”.
“Sense Motive again. These skills work damn well. He’s spooked as much as he’s interested,” I realised.
I watched a video titled “weirdest gorilla ever in Central Park”. It was hard to see what was going on – the footage was from a long way away on a zoomed-in camera phone – but I caught sight of the “gorilla”. The four-armed, claw-heavy gorilla.
“What do you reckon that is?” Chris asked as we watched.
“Girallon,” I muttered, distracted. “It’s in the Monster Manual two, I believe.”
“What?” he said in reply, but was distracted by the video shutting down, to be replaced by an error message claiming the video had been removed due to “copyright issues”. I grabbed the mouse of him and started searching the internet. I hit several videos shut down in the same way. I also got a link to some blog with pictures on. I saw one high-quality snapshot before they, too, vanished. It was like someone was trying to make the images disappear as fast as possible.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-29, 12:48 PM
Girallon is in the first monster manual, not the second.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-29, 12:57 PM
Girallon is in the first monster manual, not the second.

That was deliberate :smalltongue:

Zolkabro
2011-03-29, 01:03 PM
Okay, now they're in trouble.

They've been seperated, so something bad is obviously about to happen.
Also, someone is hushing stuff up. I wonder who...:smallwink:

The Glyphstone
2011-03-29, 01:29 PM
Light from one of Jupiter's moons reflecting off a large bubble of swamp gas, obviously. Now, if you'll just look at this shiny metal device for a few moments...

*flashy-thingy*

Tychris1
2011-03-29, 02:14 PM
Light from one of Jupiter's moons reflecting off a large bubble of swamp gas, obviously. Now, if you'll just look at this shiny metal device for a few moments...
*Puts on black shades*
*flashy-thingy*

Fixed it for you, wouldn't want you to lose your memory aswell.

Zolkabro
2011-03-29, 02:38 PM

*flashy-thingy*

Eh? What was that?
Who am I again? And what am I doing here?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-31, 08:59 PM
For our characters to communicate, could they all be members of GitP? It would also mean I can make OotS references. ^_^

The Glyphstone
2011-03-31, 09:10 PM
No reason not to...though it'll get seriously, weirdly meta. Any suggestions that our characters start keeping online journals in the Arts+Crafts section of GitP about what's happening to them is right out.:smallbiggrin:

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-31, 09:12 PM
*deletes paragraph of that from Word*
Ohh it was a good paragraph too

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-31, 09:13 PM
No reason not to...though it'll get seriously, weirdly meta. Any suggestions that our characters start keeping online journals in the Arts+Crafts section of GitP about what's happening to them is right out.:smallbiggrin:

Yeah, that is totally out.

John Cribati
2011-03-31, 09:18 PM
If all of our characters were on GITP, I probably wouldn't be able to keep myself from having them find their own stories.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-31, 09:18 PM
Let's not even consider the idea that they'd start writing fictional stories about what their lives would be like if the D&D Singularity hadn't occurred, where they'd probably end up daydreaming about if they did gain D&D class levels...

[/brainmelt]

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-31, 09:20 PM
I wonder what Gary's screen-name would be?
Probably something to do with his class

John Cribati
2011-03-31, 09:20 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of

"What does the story say I'll do next?"

"It said you were going to ask that."

"What?"

"Here, take a look."

In short, the meta would have likely imploded on itself.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-31, 09:23 PM
Let's not even consider the idea that they'd start writing fictional stories about what their lives would be like if the D&D Singularity hadn't occurred, where they'd probably end up daydreaming about if they did gain D&D class levels...

[/brainmelt]

They are not going to make their own journals! I would make OotS references though. And not just the jokes.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-31, 09:24 PM
It probably wouldn't happen like that more like this:
*Does something awesome*
"I have to upload this, wait people won't know context. I know! I'll tell my entire story from the Singularity too now!"

And that's how Gary made Aussie Apocalypse :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2011-03-31, 09:26 PM
You're writing a separate continuity anyways, Dragon, so feel free to knock yourself out with metaloops that would make the writers of Inception confused.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-31, 09:33 PM
It's not that separate, just litle/no chance of crossovers and Australia going to hell (in some places literally. Stupid Summoners)
You can reference the lack of non-magical communication in your stories if you like.

EDIT: Inception wasn't even confusing.
They can go into dreams, different levels=more subconscious, more chance of subconscious implantation/extraction. Limbo is the deepest level that also serves as an afterlife and is the joint collection of everyone not just the original subject.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-31, 09:36 PM
You're accelerating the pace of the destruction a lot faster than we are, and our worldwide apocalypse is going to start somewhere else. Better to make it a completely separate continuity, otherwise we'll just end up drifting apart to where they're effectively separate timelines anyways.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-31, 09:40 PM
Well due to the lack of transport to/from Australia anyway, by the time Teleport makes inter-continental travel viable things will be roughly on-par.
And remember that everyone in mine is level1 so when I make my Apocalypse, yours will probably be about to kick off as well.

Dragon Elite
2011-03-31, 10:09 PM
Wow. This was an amazing read, and I've been inspired to start my own as well. I will start my own soon.

Cogidubnus
2011-04-01, 04:35 AM
Well due to the lack of transport to/from Australia anyway, by the time Teleport makes inter-continental travel viable things will be roughly on-par.
And remember that everyone in mine is level1 so when I make my Apocalypse, yours will probably be about to kick off as well.

Except any of my chacters could still get on a plane to Australia, or Skype them, or anything. There's no disruption to normal life yet.

Zolkabro
2011-04-01, 11:07 AM
In reading the last few posts on page 6, my brain melted and poured out my ears. The lump of brain tissue left is going to type this and then go and cry in the corner of my skull in despair and confusion.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-01, 11:28 AM
Even if they're not members of GitP, I want to make OotS references.

Cogidubnus
2011-04-01, 12:11 PM
Even if they're not members of GitP, I want to make OotS references.

Make OotS references liberally, I read it for years before joining the forums (blame it for my enjoyment of 3.5 DnD, really). The forums might get meta. Can you imagine the influx of threads on optimising using very specific starting builds? Advice on Mindrape? Etc. It'd be mad.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-04-01, 07:43 PM
Except any of my chacters could still get on a plane to Australia, or Skype them, or anything. There's no disruption to normal life yet.

Not yet, but Mobile Phone coverage and the Net are going down in a couple of days. Remember I haven't actually done anything in Aus except show a street of corpses and ther main character fighting his former friend

The Glyphstone
2011-04-01, 08:15 PM
Yeah, but you're still, as you said, destroying Australia in one day. For the rest of us, it's going to be a gradual buildup of weirdness over weeks at least, and having an entire continent go off the grid that fast would disrupt the timeline something fierce. If your main character lived in some sort of backwater (by Australian standards, even) without connections to the outside world, at best the continuities could be hamfisted together by saying your story takes place chronologically of the 'primary continuity'...basically, if our stuff started happening on Day 0, but your story didn't "start" until Day 35, both story's apocalypses could occur in Day 42 (the one week later you mention) without messing stuff up too badly.

Otherwise, altcon is really the only way to reconcile it. Or, if you prefer, we're the altcon and you're the primary continuity. It doesn't really matter, objectively.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-04-01, 08:24 PM
I won't destroy Aus in a day, the Net and stuff stays on for several days, followed by areas dropping out.
The actual Apocalypse (stated in PMs), that won't happen till a few weeks after the Net fails completely.

Cogidubnus
2011-04-02, 05:54 AM
See, I personally believe the one thing the military and governments would keep running would be the net and communications, so those will stay in existence throughout the plotline, albeit sometimes unreliably.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-04-03, 10:26 PM
Society itself crumbles in Aus. The Government gives way to Anarchy until after the Apocalypse. After that a kind-of-society based on trade and alliances forms with 2 main factions.
I won't go into any more detail readers can see this.

Croverus
2011-04-04, 02:53 AM
This looks interesting and I'd be eager to help, but my brain won't allow me to write about things that aren't related to Pokemon. But I'm really enjoying reading this and you should keep it going! :smallbiggrin:

Shamelessness: Could anyone point me to a similar type of 'fanfic' being made for pokemon that isn't an actual playthrough, or somewhere I could write one?

Zolkabro
2011-04-04, 10:00 AM
This looks interesting and I'd be eager to help, but my brain won't allow me to write about things that aren't related to Pokemon. But I'm really enjoying reading this and you should keep it going! :smallbiggrin:

Shamelessness: Could anyone point me to a similar type of 'fanfic' being made for pokemon that isn't an actual playthrough, or somewhere I could write one?

Just make your own thread for it!
So, in your story, would you have pokémon becoming real and trainers trying to catch them?
If so, where would Pokémon centres come from? Or things you get in a store? Or pokéballs?
I think I would definitely like to read that...
Please post a link in this thread or in my thread when your thread is up!

fizzybobnewt
2011-04-04, 10:07 AM
I too cannot wait to read this.

Dragon Elite
2011-04-04, 10:39 PM
*cough* *cough (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cOm85O4OKsHYVSXtKQS3wyoSAJa_uybp0FmsW5AYLUs/edit?hl=en#) I'm using google docs for mine, and my main character is a 13-year old. Feel free to check up on the link, I've written about a page so far.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-04-05, 12:56 AM
Um, Elite, you need to make it public so we can access it.

Dragon Elite
2011-04-05, 09:31 AM
@Dragon of Undeath

Just hit cancel when it wants you to sign in. You get forwarded to it, where anyone with the link can view.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-04-05, 09:43 AM
Did you go from factotum//wizard to psion//wizard or did the narration change?

Dragon Elite
2011-04-05, 09:47 AM
I changed it midway, let me edit that. :smallredface:

Zolkabro
2011-04-05, 12:36 PM
I would much rather you posted it on the forums intead of Google Docs.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-05, 03:33 PM
I would much rather you posted it on the forums intead of Google Docs.

Definitely. And I can't see it because I don't see a cancel button for the log in thing.

Dragon Elite
2011-04-05, 06:06 PM
Will do, creating a thread now.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10711749#post10711749) it is. Please critique.

Cogidubnus
2011-04-06, 09:53 AM
Incidentally, I haven't abandoned this, but I have been so damn tired this past fortnight I haven't been able to write anything worth reading. I've been sleeping most of the time when I'm at home. My holidays start on Friday, so I will hopefully recover some energy soon.

Zolkabro
2011-04-06, 11:31 AM
Incidentally, I haven't abandoned this, but I have been so damn tired this past fortnight I haven't been able to write anything worth reading. I've been sleeping most of the time when I'm at home. My holidays start on Friday, so I will hopefully recover some energy soon.

I've been in the same situation, but if anything the holidays will only be busier for me.

Cogidubnus
2011-04-06, 12:33 PM
I've been in the same situation, but if anything the holidays will only be busier for me.

It's not even business. It's just lack of SLEEP. I have been on the sofa under a blanket since I got home an hour and a half ago xD

Dragon Elite
2011-04-08, 09:45 AM
I will be happy when this starts up again, it's the longest and the first in the series.

Also, would you mind checking out mine sometime soon? I'm on Chapter three, almost finished typing it up.

Cogidubnus
2011-04-10, 05:43 AM
I won't be able to post any updates this week, as my only internet access will be on my phone, but I do have my laptop so hopefully I can write three or four updates at least to post when I get home on Thursday.

Dragon Elite
2011-04-10, 08:45 AM
Alright, sounds good. Don't rush yourself, I'd rather have 1 good chapter than 3 hurried ones.

Mercenary Pen
2011-04-10, 06:34 PM
I am idly musing the possibility of doing something similar to this for 4e, if I find the time... I might, however, make at least one of my protagonists someone who didn't make the switch from 3.5, who suddenly finds themselves in the wrong edition.

Dragon Elite
2011-04-10, 09:42 PM
I am idly musing the possibility of doing something similar to this for 4e, if I find the time... I might, however, make at least one of my protagonists someone who didn't make the switch from 3.5, who suddenly finds themselves in the wrong edition.

That would be HILARIOUS. Do it do it do it!

fizzybobnewt
2011-04-11, 09:06 AM
"Gromit! It's the wrong edition! And it's gone wrong!"

Cogidubnus
2011-04-22, 06:50 AM
Update the Twelfth (apologies for the hiatus):

The rest of the week kind of drifted by. School was enlivened by the constant gaining of xp, but was still school. I kept in touch with the others, but only loosely. Ken was still working on his crafting, Eddie was training every night, as his brothers hadn’t got tired on being repeatedly put in the dirt by him yet. Lara was being virtually impossible to get ahold of, as usual, so I didn’t stress too much about what she was doing. Helen and I knuckled down to our schoolwork every night so we could continue practising our abilities as much as possible. I couldn’t actually see Helen on a school night, so we’d sit and text while we practised. She was having great fun with her Wild Empathy, getting squirrels and birds to come and sit with her. It was my martial arts class on Tuesday that really interested me though. I’d been waiting to see whether I would suddenly excel beyond my peers. We went through warm-ups and kata first. Warming up was easier, because my Constitution was higher and so I could push myself harder, put nothing more noticeable than that. My katas were not phenomenally different, although my techniques were slightly slicker, and slightly better delivered, like my class levels meant that I retained the quality of my technique regardless of how I was feeling or whether I was distracted. I put that down to Uncanny Dodge, as it was bound to help me when I was flanked. Then we were working on the pads. Once again, I found I could deliver my techniques with better quality, improving faster and working on what I did wrong with each attempt. I could also throw them harder, probably once again due to my improved ability scores. It was the sparring that was most interesting. I didn’t find myself greatly superior to my peers, no more than I’d have expected to with some. I couldn’t pierce anyone’s defences better than before, or even defend myself better. It gave support to my theory that my class levels were a direct result of what I’d already learned. Which meant that soldiers, other experienced martial artists and anyone else with combat experience would still be capable of fighting those with class levels, and some of them might well have been given levels of their own, with class abilities to supplement their fighting knowledge. That was...reassuring, in many ways, to know that the protectors of order in our world would still be able to do so in the face of this new threat.

Zolkabro
2011-04-22, 08:09 AM
YES! NEW UPDATE!
*does a little victory dance around his room*
:biggrin:

Awww, but it's so short! :smallfrown:

It's great all the same, and presents some interesting points for the plot, i.e. PCs vs NPCs. I might bring up some of these ideas in my story, at James' next Scout meeting.

ragingrage
2011-04-22, 08:29 AM
1. :smallbiggrin: New update is great!
2. Do you think you can put paragraph breaks into your chapters? It's not that important, but just makes it easier to read.

Dragon Elite
2011-04-22, 09:55 AM
Yay, new update! But very short, oh well, it's still interesting exposition.

Cogidubnus
2011-04-22, 03:59 PM
1. :smallbiggrin: New update is great!
2. Do you think you can put paragraph breaks into your chapters? It's not that important, but just makes it easier to read.

I think the paragraph breaks got lost in the copy-pasting process.

Hmm...swear it looked longer in Word. Oh well, now I'm back I should get into the flow of keeping up with it.

Mercenary Pen
2011-04-22, 06:40 PM
Have added a separate 4e continuity... Am not particularly trying to achieve any sort of equivalence with the 3.5 arc, but anyone who wants to check it out, I would be grateful.

Am very much enjoying the 3.5 side of things though, keep up the good work.

Rheios
2011-04-22, 08:20 PM
I've just started reading and this is an AMAZING idea. I can't wait to read more of it!
Keep up the good work!

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-22, 08:38 PM
I might stop writing my story, I've lost most of my interest in this. I'm still following the main one, Glyphstone's, Zolkabro's, and Tychris's.

Zolkabro
2011-04-23, 12:52 AM
I might stop writing my story, I've lost most of my interest in this. I'm still following the main one, Glyphstone's, Zolkabro's, and Tychris's.

You sure? Your new one is really good, you should at least finish the current plotline (the dragon)!

Temassasin
2011-04-29, 02:59 PM
i was thinking: what would happen if you were transformed into a monster and i might do that for 4E (and the monsters would be able to level)

Howler Dagger
2011-05-06, 03:07 PM
hey, could i do a 4th edition version of this? with different characters ofcourse

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-06, 06:01 PM
The current 4e plotline is supposed to be the exception. The more people who do a 4e plot line, the more it diverges from the original context of this, which is D&D 3.5 being real.

Saint Nil
2011-05-07, 03:29 PM
So? Why is that a problem as long as they are having fun and not mixing it into your stories?:smallconfused:

The Glyphstone
2011-05-09, 10:40 AM
Indeed. There's no harm in inspiring more writers. We've got at least semi-parallel continuities already (the "main" line, Adajea's "juniors" line, and the "Australia vanishes off the face of the earth" line), we can certainly survive an alt-universe "4E is real instead" line.

Though if you want a 'Monster PCs' storyline, 3.5 would support it better...4E is notoriously monster-as-PC-unfriendly.

Mercenary Pen
2011-05-09, 02:50 PM
That reminds me, I need to actually find time to write some more of the separate 4e continuity... This may be easier said than done.

Howler Dagger
2011-05-10, 08:16 PM
so its okay then? ill post it soon..

fizzybobnewt
2011-05-10, 08:32 PM
This would be really awesome in comic form.

Cogidubnus
2011-05-11, 11:39 AM
This would be really awesome in comic form.

Unfortunately, I cannot draw to save somebody else's life (Paladin, y'see?). And at the moment it seems I can hardly find time to write, either, for which I apologise. A month until my A levels has made my life somewhat madder than I expected it to.

Rheios
2011-05-12, 02:45 AM
A levels? May I be so nosey as to inquire what those are?

And don't worry too much on updates, most of the others seem busy in thier own lives too. (Although Herpestidae did come out with a pretty good one just recently, but you probably already knew that.)

Anyway, good luck on Aceing the A levels!

Mercenary Pen
2011-05-12, 04:26 AM
A levels? May I be so nosey as to inquire what those are?

And don't worry too much on updates, most of the others seem busy in thier own lives too. (Although Herpestidae did come out with a pretty good one just recently, but you probably already knew that.)

Anyway, good luck on Aceing the A levels!

They're British exams at typically age 18, and are required to qualify for university entry over here.

Edit: Though some universities require their own entrance exams on top of them.

Cogidubnus
2011-05-12, 06:24 AM
A levels are the UK's final exams if you choose to stay in school until you're 18. Most people do 3, and you have to get certain grades in each subject if you've got a conditional university offer (the uni determines what grades you need to meet your offer). So it's kinda the benchmark for deciding my future xD

If anything confused you, it might be worth looking up the English school system/university system on Wikipedia.

Rheios
2011-05-12, 10:55 PM
No, the concept makes sense, I'd just never been aquainted with them. Good luck on them though. Especially if they're that important.

Zolkabro
2011-05-13, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately, I cannot draw to save somebody else's life (Paladin, y'see?). And at the moment it seems I can hardly find time to write, either, for which I apologise. A month until my A levels has made my life somewhat madder than I expected it to.

Good luck! My brother is taking his AS exams, so I understand how busy it makes you. Don't worry about the story, focus on getting good results. I'd love to see more updates, but you spending time writing and then not having enough time to revise would be BAD.

Good luck again. :)

0Megabyte
2011-05-17, 07:26 PM
I just found this.

And you know what I realized, when I read the first post and saw what the inspiration for this thread and the other related ones was? I realized that I technically started the little fad of writing out stories in that thread. :smalleek:

So, it's neat to see that it didn't die out at all, as it looked like it was going to, and instead flourished over here. In the section of the forum I almost never frequent. It was really cool reading people's stories, and it's cool to see more of them here.

You know, I should probably take up my pen and participate as well.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-17, 07:35 PM
I just found this.

And you know what I realized, when I read the first post and saw what the inspiration for this thread and the other related ones was? I realized that I technically started the little fad of writing out stories in that thread. :smalleek:

So, it's neat to see that it didn't die out at all, as it looked like it was going to, and instead flourished over here. In the section of the forum I almost never frequent. It was really cool reading people's stories, and it's cool to see more of them here.

You know, I should probably take up my pen and participate as well.

So you're the one who posted the original, eh? Well, feel free to, if you start, I will PM you how this will play out.

Also, I've started working on mine again, but after the dragon arc, I'll start waiting for time to pass in the other stories, and then timeskip in the story to a few weeks later.

0Megabyte
2011-05-17, 08:38 PM
Please do PM me. I was hoping to continue the stuff I was doing before, but any needed info is welcome.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-01, 07:10 PM
Are the threads dying? I don't want this to die!

Cogidubnus
2011-06-02, 03:32 AM
Are the threads dying? I don't want this to die!

No. Granted, I could use paying it continuous attention, but my life is currently subsumed under A-level revision and then trying to not get depressed by that. I will come back to this.

Hazzardevil
2011-06-08, 03:47 PM
No. Granted, I could use paying it continuous attention, but my life is currently subsumed under A-level revision and then trying to not get depressed by that. I will come back to this.

Hang in there anyway, A Levels can't be much worse than KS2 SATS.
Also, I live iin England too. Which town do you live in? I live in Southampton.

Also, what would I have to do to join the canon of 3.5 in real life?

Cogidubnus
2011-06-09, 12:40 PM
Hang in there anyway, A Levels can't be much worse than KS2 SATS.
Also, I live iin England too. Which town do you live in? I live in Southampton.

Also, what would I have to do to join the canon of 3.5 in real life?

I live in a little village in North Yorkshire. KS2 SATs? I don't even remember what happened in KS2, apart from something about foxes and I didn't know it was an external exam so when I finished I got a book and started reading. My teacher got very cross xD

As for the canon, I think if we have any more people it'll get too tricky to all keep the same ideas about how the universe is working.

Hazzardevil
2011-06-09, 04:11 PM
I live in a little village in North Yorkshire. KS2 SATs? I don't even remember what happened in KS2, apart from something about foxes and I didn't know it was an external exam so when I finished I got a book and started reading. My teacher got very cross xD

As for the canon, I think if we have any more people it'll get too tricky to all keep the same ideas about how the universe is working.

I hated by SATS too, getting interrupted by squirrels running round the school and wishing I was within arms reach of a book written by anyone but Micheal Morpurgo.

Anyway, Yorkshire. That is somewhere... All I know about it is where wonderful Yorkshire puddings come from.

I understand, I've just realised to fit I would have to say the first 3 chapters would have to either be: And he woke up and it was all a dream. (Which the entire class wrote as the end of their storiesat some point) or you had a pwerup for the start and you have to earn that power back.
I wouldn't mind doing that to join in if you'll take me.

The Glyphstone
2011-06-09, 04:21 PM
Well, first let's see who from the main continuity is still participating. I'm going to get back into this now that I'm on break - how many days in-story have passed for you, Cog?

Zolkabro
2011-06-10, 11:35 AM
I'm still participating, I just suck at getting stuff down on paper which is why I keep having such long gaps between updates.

Ajadea
2011-06-10, 11:36 AM
Still here, still participating, just figuring out where to go next...