PDA

View Full Version : How does one make good deviled-eggs?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-06, 06:09 PM
When I was a kid, I really loved deviled eggs; then, for some reason, I forgot them. :smallconfused:
Recently I tried them again at a party and LOVED them, so I tried to make some at home. This was a mistake. I ended up with foul-tasting slimy things that I had to force down and that almost turned me off the divine dish forever. :smallfrown:
Now, before I actually give up on them, I wanted to know if anyone could help me improve my deviled egg making skills. I get the basic concept (mix the yellow bits inside with mayonnaise and then put them back in the white part), so I don't know where I want wrong! :smalleek:

Innis Cabal
2011-03-06, 06:19 PM
Boil the eggs until they're done. Use older eggs, a week at the least because the shells are easier to peel. Add a little salt and viniger to the water as well, it weakens the shell coating.

Once you've peeled them, cut them exactly in half and scoop out the yellows with a small spoon or pop them out if you can manage without damaging the yolk. Blend the yellows in a small bowel and add paprika to taste. I also like adding a little mayo to make it easier to place in the piping bag. Use any nozzel on the piping bag as you desire.

Nix Nihila
2011-03-06, 06:28 PM
I'm not an expert on deviled eggs, but here's what I used to do when I made them:

1.Take 12 hard boiled eggs(it doesn't matter what number, just make sure the ratio of the ingredients is about the same) and cut them in half.

2. Scoop the yolks out into a bowl.

3. Add to the yolks a few tablespoons of mayonnaise, an equal amount of tablespoons of mustard (I always use Dijon but I don't think it matters too much), a VERY small amount of white wine vinegar, a bit of hot sauce (I use lots, but I love spicy food), and some salt and pepper.

4. Put the egg mixture into a plastic bag, and cut off a bit of the corner. Use the bag to squeeze out the egg mixture into the egg whites.

5. Sprinkle paprika onto the egg yolks.

6. Eat!

Barbin
2011-03-06, 07:10 PM
You can also try casting Unhallow on the eggs.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-06, 07:13 PM
You can also try casting Unhallow on the eggs.

The name is quite unfortunate, isn't it?

Trekkin
2011-03-06, 07:35 PM
The name is quite unfortunate, isn't it?

You could always refer to them as eggs mimosa, if you like. Perhaps, if you're having trouble with them being too slimy, you could add something to soak up the excess liquid, or maybe reduce the mayonnaise. If you add salt to mayo you can break the emulsion, which might cause them to be slimy too as the oil comes out of solution--do you add salt?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-06, 07:44 PM
do you add salt?

No, but I did try adding a little curry paste. I love that stuff.

Coidzor
2011-03-06, 08:45 PM
Paprika. Black Pepper. I think garlic. Let me check my notes...

Edit: So, apparently the key is proper hard boiling, about a teaspoon of miracle whip per egg yolk (added gradually to prevent making the filling go runny), a dash of honey mustard, a dash of relish, and maybe a pinch of onion powder with an aesthetic dusting of paprika on top once spooned back into the shell halves.

Innis Cabal
2011-03-06, 08:48 PM
No, but I did try adding a little curry paste. I love that stuff.

Curry powder has salt in it.

RTGoodman
2011-03-06, 08:51 PM
Boil the eggs with a little salt, and when they're done boiling, run them under cold water for a minute to make them easier to peel. After you cut 'em in half and remove the yolks, mix the yolks with mayonnaise and pepper (and a dash of garlic of you want). I save the paprika for sprinkling on top after you've refilled the whites.

dish
2011-03-06, 09:12 PM
I mix the yolks with some mayonaise for texture and some curry powder for flavour. I like the idea of sprinkling paprika on top for aesthetics. Will try that next time.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2011-03-06, 11:07 PM
Personally, I don't like mayo, so and you can substitute cream cheese for it. Or, if you don't mind it turning green, I've seen (but not tried myself) mashed avocado used in mayo's stead.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-06, 11:15 PM
The paprika is important, though. Otherwise you don't get that devilish red speckles. That's very important.

I haven't had deviled eggs in years. They used to be my favourite. I'm making some within this week.

factotum
2011-03-07, 02:17 AM
Once you've peeled them, cut them exactly in half and scoop out the yellows with a small spoon or pop them out if you can manage without damaging the yolk. Blend the yellows in a small bowel and add paprika to taste.

A small bowel? :smalleek: Doesn't sound like the most pleasant preparation method!

More seriously--if you're just going to blend the yolks anyway, why does it matter if they get damaged when you pop them out?

Amiel
2011-03-07, 02:23 AM
You'll need to find a devil; preferably an erinyes for that extra bit of spice.

Lex-Kat
2011-03-08, 11:11 PM
My preparation method is simple. And no, this won't help. But I figured since you already got really good advice....

I buy some eggs, take them to my mom and ask her to make Deviled Eggs for me. And in a day, I have one of my favorite dishes. Mmmmm. :smallsmile:

Lady Tialait
2011-03-09, 12:46 AM
I hate mayo, always have. Miracle whip is no better. I do love deviled eggs, and I make them without mayo.

First thing, you must boil those eggs for a while. I almost double the normal time needed to get them cooked if I am going to use them for deviled eggs. If you fail to do this, you will have a slimy mess.

Second thing, the filling is a work of personal taste, and is an artwork. Unless you measure, and lose some of the charm of the dish, you will never get the same mixture twice. Give or take what I do:

Egg Yolk of 6 eggs (if i'm making 6 halves), a spoonful of curry powder, a spoonful of vinegar, and a pinch of ground mustard seed. I stir this adding extra vinegar as needed to make the mixture smooth. I then salt and pepper to taste.

Third thing, I do not use a bag to put the filling in, it wastes some of the yummy. Get yourself a spoon and make sure your hands are clean (hot water removing the outer 3 layers of flesh means they are clean.) Take a spoon, scoop some of the filling and push it into the egg white with your index finger. It's a lot simpler...unless you are making them for a gathering...then you must use the bag. :smallsigh::smallannoyed:

Fourth thing, dust them lightly with paprika. This both gives them the right look, and makes them taste very good.

That is my tips, it keeps the slime down if you are careful with your wet ingredients and simply add them in small amounts to get the mixture smooth. Deviled Eggs are so nom nommy.

THAC0
2011-03-09, 02:24 AM
Agh. Computer keeps eating this.

My devilled eggs are awesome.

1. Put eggs in pot of cold water.
2. Heat water and eggs to boiling.
3. Boil for one minute.
4. Cover, remove from heat, sit for 19 minutes.
5. Drain, cool with cold water, ice, refrigeration.
6. Peel eggs
7. Cut in half lengthwise.
8. Pop yolks into bowl.
9. Add mayo (or miracle whip) and dijion mustard in approx. 2:1 ratio. Add small bits at first and taste! Mash together.
10. Scoop into egg bowls.
11. (optional) top with paprika.

Eldan
2011-03-09, 06:06 AM
Never made any, so the first question I would have is:

What kind of paprika? Sweet, mild, spicy?

Lady Tialait
2011-03-09, 09:59 AM
Never made any, so the first question I would have is:

What kind of paprika? Sweet, mild, spicy?

I use spicy, but others use mild. My mother makes hers with no paprika, and it really is meh. My grandmother makes really spicy deviled eggs, but her recipes will go to the grave with her so your guess is as good as mine.

THAC0
2011-03-09, 02:14 PM
I tend to avoid using paprika, but in favor of a very flavorful mustard.