PDA

View Full Version : Celtois' Scribbles and Rambling

celtois
2011-03-09, 10:52 PM
After a bit of consideration and a wee bit of forethought I've decided to start a thread over here in Arts and Crafts to show case and ask for help on my writing, or drawings of whatever I do.

Acting, Singing, Dancing, Drawing, Writing.

I might, maybe throw a bit of any/all of that here.

Anyways to start it off, a couple pieces done for English. The first was written on Dead Poets Society, The second one was based on the poem Ulysses. Both were written to address a question.

DPS: Essay; Icarus

Happiness, as depicted in Dead Poets Society, is achieved through the pursuit of dreams. This suggests that when the ability of a character to pursue their dreams is compromised, so is their happiness. In the film, the viewer witnesses how the pursuit of happiness, causes the protagonists to compromise their happiness. Essentially the harder the protagonists struggle to achieve happiness the less their chances of achieving it. This idea is demonstrated to the viewer through the lives of Neil Perry and his dreams of acting; Charlie Dalton’s and his pursuit of freedom and independence; and Mr. Keating and his advocacy of free thinking.

Neil has always dreamed of being an actor, a dream he knows runs counter to his dad’s big plans for him; it would make him happier than anything. Despite their conflicting ideals he chooses to pursue his dream, until the pursuit of it compromises his chances of ever fulfilling his dream and being happy. This is demonstrated to the viewer through the different confrontations with Neil’s father, Mr. Perry, and Neil’s suicide.
In the first confrontation Neil is told to quit the play after his father finds out second-hand that he is in a play with a family friend’s niece. His choice to try to purse his dream of acting and be happy that way, only results in his father slamming the door of opportunity in his face and preventing his dreams from coming true.

The second confrontation occurs after Neil convinces his father to allow him to finish the play. After the closing night, his father practically drags Neil out of the theatre and demands that Neil give up acting and comply with his wishes, in his exact words: “What is it? If it is more of this acting rubbish you can just forget that.” This again demonstrates how Neil's perseverance, trying to pursue his dream, results only in his father removing that possibility forever, preventing him from pursuing happiness through acting.
Finally, after Neil concludes that he will never have the chance to act under his father’s watchful eye, he chooses to end his life rather than live in misery. This pursuit of happiness, or more particularly, avoidance of unhappiness and the compromised dreams it represents, results in disaster for Neil. He can never accomplish the things he dreams of and the chance of just waiting until he is old enough to avoid his father’s authority before accomplishing his dreams is, now closed to him, being that he is dead. Through his three attempts at trying to pursue his dreams, he closes the door further and further until he can never accomplish his dreams and can never, ever find happiness.

Similarly Charile Dalton also compromised his happiness while pursing it. Charlie's, (Nuwanda’s) belief is that, freedom is happiness, acting out and living life to the fullest, a belief that he can no longer maintain after his actions result in him destroying his future. He manages to accomplish this through a number of stunts that eventually result in his expulsion from Welton Academy, which prevents him from being able establish a good career, and have fun in college. These stunts were, the phone call from god where he suggests that there should be girls at Welton, and hitting Cameron. The first nearly results in his expulsion when Principle Nolan finds out and the second gets him expelled. Both were done in the cause of trying to live each moment to its fullest to “suck the marrow out of life”, and both resulted in him “choking on the bone”. The net result is a harder life in the future; he will have to crack down to get by with the black mark of expulsion on his record. He will not be able to just enjoy life, pull pranks, and act out, his happiness is compromised. Ironically it is both these actions and those of Neil that result in Mr. Keating's dreams being destroyed.

McAllister suggests: “Free thinkers at seventeen, impossible;”. This idea is exactly what Mr. Keating stands against, he believes is that it is not impossible for seventeen year-olds to be freethinkers. His dream, and the linchpin of his happiness, is to inspire a generation of young men through teaching to grow up and change the world, and live every moment to its fullest. He compromises this dream by encouraging rebellion amongst his pupils (our protagonists) against the system in which they live, a deed that eventually results in him losing his job due to the death of Neil and his link to the Dead Poets Society.

The Dead Poets Society ends up taking the blame for Neil’s death, and Mr. Keating is seen as having encouraged the boys to take that cause up, which directly results in termination. All of the events leading to Neil’s death can be directly related to the teaching and guidance of Mr. Keating and the formation of the Dead Poet’s Society (which Mr. Keating used to be a part of). The suggestion that Neil and the rest of the boys live life to its fullest (carpe diem) is what inspires Neil to do the play in the first place. He has always wanted to act his entire life so he takes this chance. This is followed by Keating suggesting that Neil tell his father how he feels about acting. When this ends poorly, and Mr. Perry decides that Neil will never act, Neil realizes that since he can’t live life to its fullest like Keating suggested to him, he might not want to live it at all. In each of these examples, Mr. Keating encourages Neil to think independently and strive for a fulfilling life; however his teachings result in conflict between Neil, and, his father and eventually, Neil gives up on life. Neil's suicide results in Mr. Keating's dismissal, leaving him unable to teach again. By inspiring Neil to think independently and live life to its fullest, (like Mr. Keating always dreamed of being able to do), he causes Neil's struggles with his father and eventual suicide, something Keating ends up getting fired for. Since he was dismissed, he will never be able to inspire any more students. His success at pursing happiness by inspiring Neil only resulted in downfall; he reached high and found only the sun which burned his wings so he should fall.

In the film, Dead Poets Society, McAllister says: “Show me the heart unfettered by foolish dreams and I’ll show you a happy man”. This line sums up the final result for the protagonists of the movie, where, in striving to achieve their dreams and find happiness, Keating, Charlie, and Neil all compromise their happiness. Neil and Charlie lose their futures and Keating loses his job. None of them shall reach to the heights they strive for in the movie again. They prove McAllister's quote to be the truth hidden within the film: the sad truth that carpe diem leads to failure and, that those who pursue happiness will always compromise it.

Ulysses: Creative Piece; My Friend, Death

My Friend, Death:
It was a stormy night; chaos and confusion rained as hail pelted down, lightning blasted apart the monolithic structures of government and the banks of the river swelled and broke, the people came spilling out like an angry tide. It was the last night of my life, I was the catalyst, the heart of the storm,
cliché I know, so let us rewind a little, and I'll tell you what brought me here today.

My name is Jamie Macintire, and I'm an activist and a daredevil. Not that any of that really matters; as a kid I always liked to do all the things other kids wouldn't dare. I'd jump off the high diving board; and scale the schools walls. I was the other kids hero. Of course one day things went wrong. I was climbing up the side of the school, and all my friends were egging me on. I'd gotten up a good twenty feet or so when I started to feel as if there was like a spirit or something hanging around me. I thought I saw an insubstantial black mass out of the corner of my eye, and a pair of soul chilling eyes!
The next thing I knew I was falling, it was surreal, a dream. I thought I was going to wake up before I hit the ground, and it would all just be one of those falling dreams you hear so much about. I couldn't have been more wrong. My body hit the ground with a sickening crack... Right before I blacked out I thought I saw those eyes again piercing into my soul, and heard a playful laugh. That was the first time I saw death. Now obviously I'm alive to write this all down, so I survived, rushed to the emergency room, in a state that could barely be called alive, but I got better. I always got better.

The incident didn't really slow me down any; I mean, I look before I leap now, as the saying goes, but I still leap, whatever I might see awaiting me. The next nine years of school passed without further run ins with death, and yet I could feel his spectre haunting me, a vague threat that my life was
temporary and I should make the most of it. See all that I can see you know. My teacher made us study a poem in english where the guy was like, “all experience is an arch werethro'/ Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades/ For ever and for ever when I move.” Back then I was like,
whatever, but now I realize that is some pretty deep stuff; you've just got to keep moving from experience to experience to stop from wasting your life away.

This I guess brings me to the second encounter with death. It was in pursing a fulfilling life that I met him again, in Africa, he found me at home, in Tunisia. Here he lurked all around a man I was to love; Andreas. Death lingers on his flesh like sickly perfume. For the man who I had met, and who captured my heart, was afflicted by the virus; HIV/AIDS. But love him I did, and so once again death found its way to me, a virus which would take hold. I had but a few short years to live; yet a few short years is long enough. While, my vagrant nature has been tamed by the virus; and I am not possessed of
the strength which in old days I thought could move earth and heaven, I still strive to live life to its fullest and pull from it every drop of enjoyment.

Yesterday he died. My Andreas... the virus claimed him, and my time, will come when it comes however I feel it coming nearer each day. Already I see the spectre of death all around me, in the faces of the people who walk past, filled with anger, and hate; the speeding car and its unspoken threat.. I
feel death lingering too in my flesh. Waiting for a time to take over, and consume, yet I will not go gentle into that good night. Life is precious and I intend fully to die upon my feet, living it. I will die a hero, a man who conquered the virus and sparked a revolution (at home, in Tunisia), tis not to late to seek a newer world, and strive for change. But death, death closes all; but afore the end, some work of noble note, may yet be done.

December, 17th, 2010. I change the world. I torch myself in protest to the injustice in my home, Tunisia must be free. As my flesh is consumed by the flames, I am eternally burned into the collective memory of the world, a martyr. I am the spark that set off the revolution. My eyes drift shut as I fall
into that good night, and I see the eyes of death one last time, no longer fearsome or terrifying but the eyes of an old friend. I had accepted my fate. There was no fear. I had changed the world.

I hope you folks enjoy, I tried to put a unique spin on the film interpretation, and the creative piece is an exploration into the psyche of the individual who lit themselves on fire and caused the riots in Tunis.

Anyways I always welcome feedback, and anyone is welcome to post work here as well and I'll try and give a bit of feedback.

DDiara
2011-03-17, 10:19 PM
I think it all in the person spirit or will but it only if you beleave in it
I seek it With all my might But happiness Evades me Like day and night Our existence Cannot be as one. The spins and twists Within my life Are like a magnet's poles That seems to never Joy and happiness attract As burdens take their toll I feel like running and giving up. But, this means darkness wins the game And this I cannot have So, I’ll keep on fighting and being brave, With hope that tomorrow would not be the same. ~Leslie Alexis and for my friend to live with death is only nature every thing has an hour glass....lol not sure i worded that right =P :smallredface:

Domochevsky
2011-03-17, 10:33 PM
Uhm... why the big letters? :smallconfused:
(English isn't your native language, right? Got trouble understanding what you're saying.)

DDiara
2011-03-17, 10:47 PM
My native laugange is english and the reason why I was not sure if i typed it is because I'm Dyslexic most thing i type or write dont make sense to other people ...I was playing around with the sizes

Domochevsky
2011-03-17, 11:53 PM
I... i see. Do you have any spell checkers you can make use of to get around that? Adding punctuation would already help a lot, i think. No reason not to at least try. >_>

DDiara
2011-03-18, 06:57 AM
I do, it's not the spelling it's the way I use the words that make no sense . I know this, so I check with the people around me.>.> because spelling check doesn't rewrite my sentences because spell check doesn't tell me if I'm typing my sentences backwards.It's the whole sentences is backwards not just the spelling of the word. Anyways

celtois
2011-03-28, 03:00 PM
Another English assignment of mine. This one is a quasi essay, it is a thesis statement blue printing and some body paragraphs. I think it is kind of a interesting concept to explore.

All about the tragic pattern in act 5 of King Lear

Mercurial Endings

In the final act of King Lear the tragic pattern is not allowed to resolve, there is quite simply no restoration of order. Proof of the lasting chaos in Britain is shown through; how the good are punished; Cordelia is hung, and Kent follows Lear into the afterlife. Additionally the audience witnesses the breaking of the great chain of being as Albany, now king of Britain, divides his rule with Edgar. Finally the break down of order is shown by the chaos and confusion that purveys the closing act. The essential idea here is that the tragic pattern breaks down as natural order is not restored and change washing over Britain.

One of the primary ideas in the Elizabethan times was that there was a natural order, a way things should be, and that in the end the gods would bring everything back in line. Evil would be punished, and the good triumph. However in King Lear this pattern is not followed. The good are punished for trying to restore order by backing the king. Cordelia is one of the first to be killed; a death which is described as monumentally unfair, and Lear questions why any other being should have life when Cordelia does not when he says: “Why should a dog, a horse, a rat have life when thou has't none.” A rat is considered to be incredibly low on the great chain of being and a dog very high, which shows Lear is questioning why any being should still have breath when the chain is so fractured. This explicitly shows how the order of the world is still cracked by the end of the play.

The chain is left in disarray at the end of the play when with Lear dead, the crown falls to Albany. Albany then suggests to Edgar and Kent: “Friends of my soul, you twain rule in this realm, and the gored state sustain”. This quote has a number of worrying implications that prove that the great chain is falling to pieces. The first is that once again Albany is trying to divide up the Kingdom, which is the same mistake the Lear made that lead to this mess in the first place. What this suggests that the chain of being has not be restored by instead brought back to the state it was at right after Lear fractured the kingdom, breaking down the natural order. The second is the use of the phrase “sustain this gored kingdom”. Which suggests that instead of fixing the kingdom and restoring it Albany merely wants to sustain and suspend the kingdom in its current state of disarray. Together these two implications show has the natural order remains fractured, thus order is not restored.

The final proof the natural order is fractured and will not be restored at the end of the play come from the general chaos the reigns in every corner. Everywhere the kingdom is seen to be damaged and mourning after what should be a glorious military triumph. Additionally the final line of the play epitomizes the idea of change and uncertainty when Edgar says: “The oldest hath borne most; we that are young shall never see so much nor live so long.” This line is pretty explicit in its meaning, where it suggests that the old way that things were and should be, will never be experienced by the young. Change has occurred, and in the Elizabethan times change from the status-quo was always against the natural order, because it brings uncertainty into a man or countries position in the world. In short the closing line of the act represents change and chaos, and a world that will never be the same, truly the opposite of the restoration of order.

Hope you enjoy it. It was done up in 1 and 1/2 hours as an exam of sorts.

celtois
2011-04-13, 12:21 AM
Parallels

Parallels
The theme of a person's perceptions versus how the world actually is, is a common theme in literature across the ages. Shakespeare was particularly fond of playing with his audience and making them question if all his characters see is an illusion. In Shakespearean plays two types of illusion are manifest: the active deception of one character by others; and the inherent flaws in the perception of the viewer. The audience in King Lear bears witness to how characters can fail to perceive the world as it exists and instead only see an illusion; this idea is demonstrated in three different ways. The first is the relationship that exists between Lear and his three daughters, and his inability to perceive their true intentions; second, the parallel story of Gloucester and his two boys, where he is unable to see the slimy nature of Edmund only seeing the illusion Edmund creates for him; finally, the deception and false pretences the exist around the characters of Kent and Edgar, who for most of the play creep about in disguise. Essentially, Lear and Gloucester view the world and the people around them through a flawed lens.
The tragedy of King Lear is at its heart the story of two men who do not understand their children. Lear is the best example of this, and in the opening scene the audience witnesses the disconnect from true nature of his daughters and his perception of them. Lear rewards the first two for having tongues of serpents and offering praise to him, essentially being a pair of brown-nosers. He proceeds to punish his youngest daughter for speaking honestly in her evaluation of him, concluding incorrectly that she cannot love him as she “loves him according to her bond no more no less.” and promptly banishes her. This belief that his first two daughters love him while the third does not, due to her praise lacking eloquence shows Lear's focus on his perception of the situation. So drawn in is he with the illusion he fails to consider the reality of the situation, and ignores the love his third daughter expresses for him. This perception of her holding no love in her heart for her father continues late into the play when, even after she rescues him from the wild he tells her, “I know do not love me for your sisters have, as I remember done me wrong. You have some cause they have not.”. This continued belief that she does not love him, is just more proof of his fascination with the idea that his daughters are all against him; this line also shows that he cannot comprehend why Gonerill and Reagan have turned on him. Which is just more proof of his hold on the illusion presented at the start of the play that his daughters loved him, but are cruel despite their professed love.
Reagan and Gonerill both forbid Gloucester from going to the king's aid, which sets him up to be betrayed by Edmund. Edmund, who has set himself up early in the play to be his father's trusted son an illusion he has set up to further his position in court, and hide this ambition from his father. Edmund earns his fathers trust when he 'betrays' the noble Edgar, in a rather elaborate set up, which is designed to hide the reality of Edmund and Edgar's nature and replace it with an illusion carefully crafted by Edmund to present himself in the best possible light. Gloucester buys into this illusion and believes him to be a faithful son, and reveals his plan to shelter the king. After the plan is revealed Edmund begins monologuing, and says “This seems fair deserving, and must draw me, that which my father loses- no less then all. The younger rises when the old doth fall.” This demonstrates clearly his intentions to betray his father and take his place, and proves that he has hoodwinked his father and his illusion is now what Gloucester perceives as reality. The idea that his illusion is successful is further developed by the fact that Gloucester was willing to reveal such a plan to him, this proves that Gloucester was blind to the reality of Edmund's ambition. When Gloucester realizes what Edmund has done he cries out “Oh my follies! Then Edgar was abused. Kind gods forgive me that and prosper him.” This provides the reader with the realization that Gloucester has no perception of the illusion of the world around him, and is only beginning to understand his situation. The quote also shows how Gloucester is willing to take the world as it is presented to him; for example taking Cornwall's presentation Edmund's betrayal to him at face value.

Edgar does not prosper after being driven away, and both he and Kent are forced to adopt disguises which further distorts the reality of the world; these disguises when adopted allow a new illusion to be crafted for both Lear and Gloucester and blinds them to the reality of the true identities of Caius and Poor Tom. Edgar adopts the disguise of Poor Tom a bedlam beggar after saying to himself. “Poor Tom that's something yet, 'Edgar' I nothing am” which suggests he has abandoned his part life and identity to create a brand new one, in deception of the world he describes how he will alter his appearance and his maintains this new alter ego even after having met his father now freshly blinded, allowing his father to still bear the guilt for Edgar's fate, guilt which should be illusionary. The second disguised individual is Kent who adopts the guise of Caius a common man who desires to serve the king. He accomplishes this by “borrowing from other accents,” which is a clear attempt to alter the King's perception of him so he could continue to serve him, despite being exiled. He maintains this illusion before the king on until the closing scene, a reality that the king is his grief may never know. Together these disguises and the deception they represent are symbolic of the difference between the reality that Lear and Gloucester perceive when compared to the actual reality of their situation. As both Lear and Gloucester die right after the disguises are taken off, it is suggested to the audience that they are holding onto their illusions and letting go results in their death, due to an inability to bear reality.
Lear and Gloucester bear the unfortunate roles of the duped in this play, both being hoodwinked by those around them or by just having a flawed perception of the world. Neither of them is able to to differentiate between the illusions around them and the reality of their situation. This is demonstrated three times to the audience, the deception by Edgar and Kent through their disguises and the symbolic illusion they represent; the slimy truth about Edmund, and the sad truth about Lear's cruel older daughters and his kind abused youngest daughter. The tragedy of King Lear, illusion trumps reality.

I'm not that proud of this essay but it was written with a time limit so I figured I'd have to take it as is.

In fact I'm pretty unhappy with, but I figure if I don't post writings I'm unhappy with I might not post anything.

It's on King Lear, Illusion V. Reality.