PDA

View Full Version : [4e] FM 8-7: The Mobile Infantry

Forte
2011-03-10, 04:23 PM
http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/122263/Terran_Federation_Field_Manual_8-7.pdf

Been working on this for a while now. Items in red on the table of contents are things I have not completed. Classes only have powers up to level 3 and I won't align everything to proper pages or make bookmarks until I have nothing major left to add.

I would really appreciate feedback, especially criticism. Suggestions are welcome as well.

Forte
2011-03-11, 06:05 PM
Made some updates and decided to halt work on this one and start the monster manual type file for the game.

http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/122263/Terran_Federation_Field_Manual_8-7.pdf

Added a couple things, fixed a few errors, noted some typos and small problems, numbered the table of contents, set the layout to have more coherent pages.

Still welcoming any and all comments/critique.

Science Officer
2011-03-11, 09:45 PM
still reading, but first impression this is pretty cool.

I noticed on page 4, the Risky Business and Wait, I Know This powers have the same flavour text, which might be an error or typo.

EDIT: on page 29, the ability Hit And Run has the same name as a level 3 ability on page 30
on page 32, it is noted that the Federation created an "enlisted corpse" of psychic infantrymen. :smallbiggrin:

Read it all now, really, really cool. I liked the backgrounds, and the support missions are a terrific concept.

I'd like to see more support equipment, more stuff that soldiers use besides weapons and armour. Though I suppose the Standard Gear covers a lot of that. Also, its probably there and I missed it, but it might be nice to have a clear description of suits and their capabilities.

Forte
2011-03-11, 10:14 PM
Lol, yeah. Still haven't finished proofreading. Thanks a lot.

Forte
2011-03-13, 09:16 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I agree that the equipment section is light, I can work on that when I come back to this file. As far as suit descriptions, besides the mechanical aspects, anything else is just fluff. I'll get around to it, but writing a lot of fluff burns me out and getting flavor text for everything was hard enough. When I get a working monster manual running I might come back and add some stuff, but it probably won't be until I can find some illustrations.

Science Officer
2011-03-14, 12:14 AM
I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of attention this seems to be getting.
This is really cool. Perhaps you should think about your level... progressions? cap? limit? not sure how to call it.
Although I don't know the 4e rules, (I hardly know the 3e rules) the gap between a lvl 1 character and a lvl 20 character is rather big. In 3e at least, for wizards, ( I cite this because it is the greatest example), the difference between lvl 1 and lvl 20 is the difference between fearing a housecat and demi-godhood. Probably 4e has much different power levels, but is the difference between a Private straight from bootcamp and a weathered veteran really as great as 20 levels?

More questions and suggestions (not criticism, sorry)
-Is this intended to match the Starship Troopers world, or to be more general military power armour sci-fi? Do you want to stick to the canon of the book ?(or the movie, or the series...)
-Do you have plans for any more classes?

Mostly posting cause I'd like to see this get more attention. The community can really contribute a lot, once it's interested.

Forte
2011-03-15, 05:28 PM
Updated FM 8-7 with the typo fixes, etc. Thanks, for spotting them.

Here is the next one:
FM 10-6: The Arachnids (http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/122263/Terran_Federation_Field_Manual_10-6.pdf)
That's what I have for the arachnids so far. Right now it's just stat blocks and a bit of rough draft fluff. Suggestions and Critique is always welcome.

To answer your questions, not planning on any more classes at the moment. I still have 27 levels or powers to flesh out for each of the ones I have already.

The plan is to make a Starship Troopers setting. Anyone is welcome to take what I have and generalize it for their own use. It will follow the book where it can, the cgi TV show where it can't, and never the movie (if I can help it).

As far as the suits, you're right; I didn't explain them as well as I could and I will add some more on them when I come back to 8-7. I need to add something about rank though and thank you for pointing that out. Rank and level are have no relation. I never wanted to give that impression. A higher rank is an indication of leadership ability and/or potential. A higher level is a measure of skill and experience. They can be linked, but they are not dependent on each other. Some soldiers are great soldiers but poor leaders and even a relatively green trooper can become an effective leader under the right conditions.