PDA

View Full Version : Windows Movie Maker being a Jerk

Dr.Epic
2011-03-10, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to edit some stuff in the program and every time I try to split or do whatever the program crashes. It says it has stopped working and has to close. It takes me like 5 minutes to do something I should be able to do in 10 seconds because it shuts down so much. Any ideas how to solve this?

LaZodiac
2011-03-10, 11:46 PM
Yha, it sometimes does that. I know it sounds weird, but just pat your computer on the head and ask it to please work. Always works for me when WMM screws up.

Which is actually only once in my entire life using it, shockingly enough.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-10, 11:52 PM
Yha, it sometimes does that. I know it sounds weird, but just pat your computer on the head and ask it to please work. Always works for me when WMM screws up.

Which is actually only once in my entire life using it, shockingly enough.

That's it? There's no full proof solution? I mean, I'm literally on for like 10 seconds, I try to do something, it quits responding, and then I have to open it again.

LaZodiac
2011-03-11, 12:04 AM
As far as I know, yha. WMM is a finicky beast, and sometimes, some video footage just makes it mad and it screws up like that. Sorry *pats on the back*

Dr.Epic
2011-03-11, 12:09 AM
As far as I know, yha. WMM is a finicky beast, and sometimes, some video footage just makes it mad and it screws up like that. Sorry *pats on the back*

Know any cheap alternative programs? I'm making progress, but I should have had this done like an hour ago (keep in mind this is a short, simple project I'm working on).

LaZodiac
2011-03-11, 12:14 AM
Well, Camtasia is a good one, though it's a bit fiddly to get used to.

I can't actually link you to anything since it's technically for pay, but let me just say that "it is, like many things, findable for free and I do not endorse that in anyway".

Phishfood
2011-03-11, 09:17 AM
Could be a corrupt video file you are working on. I usually have to bung my videos through Prism video convertor to get WMM to play nice.

Could be a corrupt install of WMM, try uninstalling and reinstalling fresh from ms website.

And now for the obligatory completely impractical and unhelpful suggestion:
Get a mac. iMovie and Final Cut Pro are excellent pieces of software.

DeadManSleeping
2011-03-11, 09:19 AM
I think I know your problem! It's in the first word of the product name.

pffh
2011-03-11, 09:21 AM
Know any cheap alternative programs? I'm making progress, but I should have had this done like an hour ago (keep in mind this is a short, simple project I'm working on).

Virtualdub is free and quite nice.

Lord Loss
2011-03-11, 09:33 AM
I forget how much I paid for it, but Roxio does the work. I believe it was somewhat expensive. I also reccomend Sonic, my computer came with it installed.

Eloel
2011-03-11, 10:03 AM

This, very much of this.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-11, 01:58 PM

Hilarious.

Anyway, onto my next inquiry. I have a Quicktime file. How do I go about putting it on a blank DVD? Do I just write it to the disc normally? Basically, I have a Quicktime file on my computer and I want to put it on a disc so it can play in DVD players.

Jimor
2011-03-13, 06:05 AM
Hilarious.

Anyway, onto my next inquiry. I have a Quicktime file. How do I go about putting it on a blank DVD? Do I just write it to the disc normally? Basically, I have a Quicktime file on my computer and I want to put it on a disc so it can play in DVD players.

No, you have to put it into a DVD authoring/burning program. Hit download.com and see what they have for this.